Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongest drink you have consumed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

my own p155 was pretty bad, made me pass out...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Everclear - 190 proof.. 95%

absolutely awful drink to be honest

The Invisible Intoxicant. Not legal for sale in California, we have the watered-down version available to us at 170proof. However, being in the Army does have its benefits, military bases are not subject to California law, so I swing by Travis Air Force Base and get the proper stuff, at 190proof. Mainly used as ingredients for other things, though, not usually drunk neat.

Strongest drink (supposedly) I've had out and about is a Hand Grenade, unique to a specific New Orleans bar. Was definitely strong.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Booswig

My myself had the Stroh run, 160 proof. And it was horrible. Amazing to smell, that true Rum and Raison smell, but undrinkable neat. I do not know why anyone would drink anything higher than 50% bv. The ethanol burn start to dominates :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

poitín of course, though i don't know what percentages the batches i've tried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Surgical spirits and seven-up..no idea of the alcohol content but i remember being amazed by the way the liquid turned milky and seemed to swirl of its own volition.Nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

Degsy wrote: »
    Surgical spirits and seven-up..no idea of the alcohol content but i remember being amazed by the way the liquid turned milky and seemed to swirl of its own volition.Nasty.

Reaction with the sugar more than likely. How'd it taste Degsy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Surgical spirits and seven-up..
    This came up earlier. rubadub posted about it.

Moral of the story is you're lucky to be alive and not blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Commonly called "fusel oils"

From a homedistilling site
    14) Why do my spirits turn cloudy when diluted ?
    With neutral spirits, either you have pushed 'tails' into your product (eg collected too much product from the still - quit earlier next time), or you are using poor tap-water (high in calcium carbonate). If it happens when diluting your gin, sambuca or the like, its because there is too little alcohol/too much oil present and the oils are no longer dissolved. Either drink it cloudy or increase the % alcohol present.
    The oils in some commercial drinks are not fusels, but could be oil of anise in ouzo etc. Real fuesl is nasty stuff, I have seen poitin with a layer of oil on top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_alcohol
    Excessive concentrations of these fractions may cause off flavours, sometimes described as "spicy," "hot," or "solvent-like." Some beverages, such as whisky, Siwucha and traditional ales and ciders, are expected to have relatively high concentrations of fusel alcohols as part of the flavour profile. In other beverages, such as vodka and lagers, the presence of fusel alcohols is considered a fault. Very high concentrations — usually caused by incompetent distillation — can cause acute illness, including headaches, nausea, vomiting, or coma. A liquor with this level of concentration of fusel alcohols may be referred to as "rotgut."[

With industrial alcohols they would have no real reason for separation, in fact distilleries will separate the good from the bad and sell the crap for industrial use, so it is often unusually high in this nasty crap. At least you got a pretty sight, might have been the last thing you saw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol
    Drinking 10 ml will cause blindness, and as little as 100 ml will cause death, as many unfortunate individuals found out during the Prohibition
    Prohibition is long gone, stop drinking this crap!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DenMan wrote: »
    Reaction with the sugar more than likely. How'd it taste Degsy?

It tasted just like wintergreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

My friend returned from Ghana recently with the most ****ed-up booze i've ever had. Made by some guy in a bathtub behind his house in some tiny african fishing village, who's gone blind in one eye from the fumes of brewing it.

It's 'gin' apparently, somewhere between 50% and 80% alcohol. Apparently once the guy got the mix wrong and it killed a guy. :eek: Anyway, it was f*cking rotten. Friend of mine took one sip and puked his guts up over a balcony for ten minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Parsley wrote: »
    My friend returned from Ghana recently with the most ****ed-up booze i've ever had. Made by some guy in a bathtub behind his house in some tiny african fishing village, who's gone blind in one eye from the fumes of brewing it.

It's 'gin' apparently, somewhere between 50% and 80% alcohol. Apparently once the guy got the mix wrong and it killed a guy. :eek: Anyway, it was f*cking rotten. Friend of mine took one sip and puked his guts up over a balcony for ten minutes.

if thats true it prob killed more than 1 guy. its a big problem in developing/3rd world countries. 1 bad batch and alot of dead people.
    I wouldnt risk it, test it on someone you dont like, wait a few days. If they are still alive then drink up!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Two strongest was some stuff called Waragi from Uganda, got it in the late 80's before it was produced commercially (and probably safely) and it was lethal. Then in Trinidad they had this muck called puncheon rum, had to take a shot to get into a party. Got drunk in seconds and sobered up about 10 mins later - wierdest buzz ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Absinte 95% volume

Theres a feckin reason its illegal feckin paint thinner is safer to drink

Alcohol poisoning ahoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Parsley wrote: »

He just made it wrong, the blind guy, He probably produced some Methanol which can make you go blind.

Ethanol won´t actually permanently blind you, once you sober up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Dont know about the strongest but years ago in Corfu i was drinking Raki. Remember very little about 2 days. In bits for a few days after it. Worse my stomach has ever been and i was young then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

strongbow_cider-400-400.jpg

May not be the strongest drink, but it made me sick:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Absinthe, with woodworm. Crazy stuff, along with just about all the various colours. The strongest was about 80% IIRC.
    50% Vodka.
    Proper Ukranina/Russian Vodka. They know their vodka.
    Chartreues. Nasty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

80% absence!!!.....it was nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shenanaganscork

had some poitin ages ago.. 90 odd % proof.. i cant remember. i cant remember much of that night. bar waking up in a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

in mexico i walked into a liquor store that only sold spirits. the guy let me taste some stuff. i bought 2 bottles of tequilla and after trying a load of strong stuff that wasnt hitting the spot he took out a bottle and poured me half a shot. he didnt tell me what it was and i knocked it back with no worries.
    it was strong, very strong. i was about to tell him i liked it but the fumes and heat came up and made it hard to talk. it was the afternoon and i was 100% sober and not really prepared for drinking.

i then asked to look at the bottle and saw 192proof. being irish i quickly took out my money to buy this lethal stuff. i didnt drink it again untill i got to san francisco, but again it was during the afternoon and i was sober...
    i then discovered thru some googling that its not licensed for human consumption and is used as a fuel source for cooking. its pure sugar cane alcohol with nothing added, it could possibly have lead contamination, not sure.

a few months later back in ireland we had a family get together and i had wine,sweet spanish liquor, whiskey and then had my 2 (small)bottles of tequilla. when they ran out i decided to get the hard stuff and i had a few shots... and then decided i dont want to die tonite so ill put it away and have some more whiskey instead.

it was alot easier to drink when your drunk.

...i still have some left over if anyone wants to try it? i stopped drinking it and used it for cleaning stuff!

i think i know the stuff you are talking about...

i believe it is called méscal... completely illegal, but boy is it effective. had some at a party last year, mental. a friend at the party had like three very small shots and was doing cartwheels in the nightclub, doesnt remeber anything after a few minutes post shots.

wild.

• Advertisement

I had 70% absinthe last night!! Can you say paint thinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Have a bottle of 85 per cent abstinthe sitting beside me. I'm just back from Spain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

Wonder why a pile of towel heads were drinking it? Perhaps Suzanne is working her magic over there.

Moderators and their casual racism :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭conman

Ethenol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

The "pure drop" Poitín with Red Bull.

I was out of me little head for about 3 days, in a caravan in the Scottish highlands with a hairy local lass.

Ahhh, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

everclear. 190 proof grain alcohol. Lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Drank some 75% green abscinthe* a few times. Good Stuff
    Yeah I had a few swigs of that straight and I must say I thought it was lovely stuff. Tasted like those liquorice sweets. Gorgeous drink compared to vodka/whiskey etc. (although it does take a considerable length of time for it to go down which felt strange but great!)

K4t wrote: »
    Yeah I had a few swigs of that straight and I must say I thought it was lovely stuff. Tasted like those liquorice sweets. Gorgeous drink compared to vodka/whiskey etc. (although it does take a considerable length of time for it to go down which felt strange but great!)

Are you sure that wasn't Sambuca? Absinthe tastes crap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

I drank "palm" once, it was 90% and obviously mixed with coke. A weekend i will always remember ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

collected my 96%/192 proof sugar cane alcohol from my parents house today, Ive no whiskey at the mo, maybe I'll put it in my hip flask.

would it be cruel to offer someone a swig unknowingly? :D

Advertisement