Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongest drink you have consumed?

Options
  • 05-08-2007 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Myself it has to be Bacardi 151. At 75.5% alcohol it must rate pretty highly up there.

Bacardi_151_1000.jpg

It's the only drink I've ever come across with a high flammability warning label and a flame arrestor on the top of the bottle :eek:

What's the highest alcoholic content drink you've had?
    Tagged:

Comments

Delirium Tremens, a paltry 10%. Thats the strongest beer I had, other than that, Chartreuese(sp) would be the strongest spirit, I think it was in the region of 60%
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_(beer)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

a pretty lame 40% by volume (80 proof) - or so it says on the bottle next to me - of southern comfort reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Absinthe, 95.9%

Or so it said.

It certainly had the effects of De-icer anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

FOGOFUNK wrote:
    Absinthe, 95.9%

Or so it said.

It certainly had the effects of De-icer anyways.

Is that the alcohol percentage or the proof of the liquor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

85%/170 proof Absinthe.

Fairly horrible stuff....

We spilt 2 shots by accident and lit them on fire, was quite an impressive blaze....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yeah, I tried that Absinthe stuff.
    Not bad, but damn it gets you hammered fast.
    Best way to drink it is to place a suger cube in a slotted spoon and pour water slowly over the cube to mix with the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Celticfire wrote:
    Myself it has to be Bacardi 151. At 75.5% alcohol it must rate pretty highly up there.

It's the only drink I've ever come across with a high flammability warning label and a flame arrestor on the top of the bottle :eek:

Ditto

The flammability warning is quite funny but its there for a very good reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well in Lebanon I had a drink call 'Opium-Arak', that was way back in 1988 when the war was going good and there was no real government or law's :D

Now its just plain ol' Arak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arak_(distilled_beverage)

That was might stuff indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Absinthe.

After that probably poitin

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have a bottle of polish vodka which is 80%, its really nice, very smooth, have the odd shot every now and then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've had 85% absinthe loads of times. I had poitin once, don't know what percentage it was though.

Everclear - 190 proof.. 95%

absolutely awful drink to be honest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Everclear - 190 proof.. 95%

absolutely awful drink to be honest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29

Are you sure it wasn't paint thinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've had legal poitín and the stuff that comes in old glass lucozade bottles The former was 97%, the latter...who knows? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I once drank an Arkansas moonshine known locally as "Mule".

It was named after the kick you got off it the next morning.
    I don't think the alcohol content could ever be determined scientifically, as this drink tended to rot the arse out of any container it was ever held in ... including me :(

Never, ever again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bookers Bourbon - it's a small batch bourbon made by Jim Beam and goes straight from the barrel to the bottle without being diluted to the usual 40% so each batch is slightly different, but it weighs in at 121-127 proof (60.5% - 63.5%). Mighty fine sippin' whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

zaph wrote:
    Bookers Bourbon - it's a small batch bourbon made by Jim Beam and goes straight from the barrel to the bottle without being diluted to the usual 40% so each batch is slightly different, but it weighs in at 121-127 proof (60.5% - 63.5%). Mighty fine sippin' whiskey.

I have got to try me some of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Chartreuese(sp) is good alright, apparently the strongest shot they sell in Fibbers.
    Had loads of different strength absinths, think 90 was hightest.

Strongest thing i've ever drank tho was some gear bought in italy, i could be lyin but i think it was 98%, it wasn't meant to be drunk, was sold for adding to fruit to start fermentation or something, i don't speak italian:rolleyes: . First time we tried to buy it the lady in shop wouldn't let us cos she knew we were clearly going to drink it.

Anyway it was absolute poison, kinda evaporated in your mouth n then burned the bejaysus out of your throat, still drank the bottle (50cl, i think) between 5 of us.

i like my drinking i do!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

trout wrote:
    I don't think the alcohol content could ever be determined scientifically, as this drink tended to rot the arse out of any container it was ever held in ... including me :(

That made me laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Celticfire wrote:

Bacardi_151_1000.jpg

+1 have a bottle of it at home. first picked it up gtom a GI friend of mine in Germant about 12 years ago. bloody stuff is potent

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

craziest **** I've drunk was Methylated spirits and Pineapple juice

Very popular in PNG, last time I was over there 4 people had died that weekend from drinkin the stuff, when mixed right tho its feckin gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Papergirl 1

irishbird wrote:
    i have a bottle of polish vodka which is 80%, its really nice, very smooth, have the odd shot every now and then

Yeah had some polish vodka before, very easy to drink neat and its rocket fuel!!!

Also had some home-made poitin from Donegal a couple of years ago, don't know what % it was but lets just say I thought I was going to go up in flames!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

r3nu4l wrote:
    I've had legal poitín and the stuff that comes in old glass lucozade bottles The former was 97%, the latter...who knows? :D
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to distill ethanol above 96% purity by traditional methods.

Along with my plumber friend, I built a 2metre high still (the taller the purer) a couple years back. So I made my own illicit "poitín" for a while until maintenance/cost became too much. It was distilled from a fermented sugar solution with champagne yeast and yeast nutrients. My hydrometer told me it was approx 90%, so that was the strongest drink I've ever consumed. Your average illicit poitin stills are simpler and built for larger production and hence cost effectiveness (i.e. so what you make is cheaper than what you buy). As such they rarely go above 90%. This is still enough to destroy most plastic containers or caps it may be stored in though.

The highest I've ever held was 99.8% in the lab, but that was distilled from Benzene (which likely makes up the other 0.2%) so I didn't drink it, despite the temptation.

ApeXaviour wrote:

The highest I've ever held was 99.8% in the lab, but that was distilled from Benzene (which likely makes up the other 0.2%) so I didn't drink it, despite the temptation.

Benzene isn't that a very nasty carcinogen. Probably a good thing you didn't drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Bottle of Dune perfume at a party once.

Woke up next day wondering why I smelt funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

craziest **** I've drunk was Methylated spirits and Pineapple juice

Very popular in PNG, last time I was over there 4 people had died that weekend from drinkin the stuff, when mixed right tho its feckin gorgeous
    Well, that's just stupid. Methylated spirits is usually about 10% methanol. Of which it takes only about 100mls to kill you. Even less than that is enough to make you blind. These symptoms can take up to 30 hours to show. You could be over your hangover, enjoying your lunch of scrambled eggs with lots of butter when *BAM*, you start feeling dizzy, your vision goes blurry and you die slowly and horribly from respiratory failure.
    I mean, this is "Beer Guts & Receding Hair", you want to at least live to enjoy and parade these symbols male, age-related status. Also I'm sure normal alcohol is pretty cheap in this country too, no?
    Bottle of Dune perfume at a party once.

Woke up next day wondering why I smelt funny.
    This is also stupid, for two reasons. 1) perfume is allowed to contain any amount of toxic ingredients, and usually will have it's fair share of methanol also. A whole load of saudi arabians died doing that last year. And 2) a bottle of Dune perfume is damn bloody expensive drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

irishbird wrote:
    Polish vodka is lovely. In fact, it's now the only vodka I'll drink.

I've had poitín, absinthe and grappa (Italian liqueur, usually quite strong, iirc this was something like 60%) but one of the strongest things I've ever drunk was the night I ended up drinking Baileys and brandy together. I could cry now for wasting the [SIZE=-1]Hennessy in such a manner, but I didn't know what I was doing at the time. Which is also my excuse for repeating the experiment on a number of occassions that night :D [/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

post-16-1106204939.jpg

Stroh Rum. Austrian stuff. 80% VOL / 160 proof

Many years ago. my pour gut would not be up for that now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

ApeXaviour wrote:

This is also stupid, for two reasons. 1) perfume is allowed to contain any amount of toxic ingredients, and usually will have it's fair share of methanol also. A whole load of saudi arabians died doing that last year. And 2) a bottle of Dune perfume is damn bloody expensive drink!

Well, it was 13 years ago and a very boring party. I had just been rejected by the girl I had been mad about for about two years. So, I drank her bottle of Bicardai on her.

Now my best mate was there as well chatting up some old sort and he was trying to impress her. He had a little sip of the Dune. I bettered it. Gas thing was that I left at 3 am because it was like heaven on a Saturday night.

When I got home I even remembered to put the bins out.

Of course, didn't it turn out that the old sort had her old man with her as well. Things got a little heated with the best mate and he had to leave, but not before going around shaking everyones hands and saying, in classic drunken Irishman style "I'm sorry, but i have been asked to leave. Goodbye"

Her old man (who at the time resembled a rope) turned to steroids and was recently described as looking like Johnny Bravo these days. apparently the steroids aren't working out too well on his legs but the rest of him looks like The Hulk

Wonder why a pile of towel heads were drinking it? Perhaps Suzanne is working her magic over there.

There is a moral about boring parties in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Strongest beer i've drank was called Santa Claus Beer from Norway it was 14% IIRC. it was terrible stuff! i didnt drink so my mate knocked it back, within 10 mins he was in the jacks puking :D

also drank absinthe when i finished my exams back in April, you get drunk so easily. that stuff is lethal i have never felt anything like the burning sensation in my chest after i drank it!

Advertisement