Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongest drink you have consumed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

absinthe_black_tunel_80.gif

This filty bastard we used to crack into in college all the time, nasty 80% stuff!! Before going out for the night we used to each down a shot or two of the stuff. Eurgh, used to burn a hole through me as I could feel my stomach slowly fizzling away.

Then there's also moonshine, very rough though warms you up a treat................highly flammable too which nearly blew up a mates couch before :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to distill ethanol above 96% purity by traditional methods.
    You can go the remaining 4 percent by de-hydrating the distillate AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

Drank a bottle of poitín with the King of Tory, Patsy Dan.
    pdpatsydanharbour_lg.jpg
    Woke up in a dingy floating in the harbour, good times

pfffft it's only about 26% :p

Don't go telling kids that though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The legal poitin is the proof not the volume. Have had absinthe in a pub in Prague but no idea what alcohol it was. Highest I know of was Bacardi 151 when I was living in the States. Drank about half a bottle of it and decided it'd be a good idea to start lifting things, starting with my mates who were about three stone heavier than me and ending with a huge park bench that I put up on top of another one. Woke up the next morning and couldn't move, nearly had to have an operation on my back because I had done such bad muscular damage and had to spend three weeks in bed. Meant I missed out on a trip to Mexico. Brought a bottle of it home for my mates and they all puked after drinking it. Lightweights:) I was told they sell a Bacardi 191 in Puerto Rico with a black label. Don't know if it's true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

unkel wrote:
    post-16-1106204939.jpg

Stroh Rum. Austrian stuff. 80% VOL / 160 proof

Many years ago. my pour gut would not be up for that now :)

fantastic stuff...aromas of burnt rubber...ahh memories

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Poitin at my gf's 21st two year's ago. I suffered the next day for it. Never again.

Can't believe some of the stuff other posters have drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Drank some 75% green abscinthe* a few times. Good Stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Absinth 75% or so.

Drinking this early in the morning 10,000 foot up in Yosemite was fun, cant remember but think its around 10%
    http://www.arrogantbastard.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Everclear - 190 proof.. 95%

absolutely awful drink to be honest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29

my cousin brought this back frm cnada...its so not nice... absinthe 95% and also raki(how it sounds anyway) which is a greek poteen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

poitin and white lightning in america..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

*cm* wrote:
    poitin and white lightning in america..

I like the sounds of the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

100% pure ethanol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elewton

Out of curiosity, did anyone buy anything like this in Ireland?

Or know where someone might?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I have to say i bow down in front of yous!God only knows how you managed some of that stuff!

strongest stuff for me was polish vodlka and thats nothing in comparison to yous!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Absinthe, tried a little red and had a bottle of green :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Chartreuse. At the work christmas part a few years ago I knocked a few of these bad boys back. Made a holy show of myself, was ejected from the bar and awoke freezing cold and covered in my own vomit down at the docks. A great night was had by all.

elewton wrote:
    Out of curiosity, did anyone buy anything like this in Ireland?

Or know where someone might?
    A laboratory supplier (e.g. Lennox) will sell you reagent grade ethanol. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting bladdered on it, and it'll mix with almost anything.

Does't come cheap though, and you'll need a trade/school account with them.

A chemist may also sell it...I don't know. They may demand a valid reason for buying it.

The Celtic Whiskey store sell a range of absinthes and Poitins as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

this 95% stuff in venice, we under stood the words cocktail, flammable, and alcohol... was so foul. it makde your mouth go all numb and tingly :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Some random youngwan at a random session in my house bummed a cigarrete off me. She then said:

"Thank you so much, here, have a shlap o' dis"

and whipped out a 90% red absinthe from her handbag.

I had an eggcupfull of the stuff, blew the face off me.

My poor fcuking liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thai rice whiskey.

called "lou khao" it was absoluote mind blowing. we drank it with m150. its a very very very strong version of red bull.

after half a glass we were throwing up everywhere and some of us even passed out.

it was mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

unkel wrote:
    post-16-1106204939.jpg

Stroh Rum. Austrian stuff. 80% VOL / 160 proof

Many years ago. my pour gut would not be up for that now :)

+1, also a good few years ago at my 18th birthday party. We set it on fire and it was still like drinking petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

That but slammed with additional 5cl tonic water. Not clever.

That, still regularly - served flaming in a shot glass in a hollowed-out clog (as in for feet, Dutch-style), with a snuffer. Snuff the flame, wait a couple off secs, down in one. Still not humongously strong at 56% but, like the TGV above, once ye get a few in...

As for the really strong stuff, we Lorrains make our own poteen-type brew of course. Out of these. 85-90%, habitually drank in shot form after large-ish meals. I make some every year (when I'm away, I'm quick to add - for the Customs & Excise people reading this thread :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

zaph wrote:
    Bookers Bourbon - it's a small batch bourbon made by Jim Beam and goes straight from the barrel to the bottle without being diluted to the usual 40% so each batch is slightly different, but it weighs in at 121-127 proof (60.5% - 63.5%). Mighty fine sippin' whiskey.

Where can I get such a delicacy?

Just had the usual poitin, absynthe etc, didnt really find anything too much wrong with them as the quality of the alcohol was very good, the strength was more bearable to drink than very poor quality alcohol ie; cheap vodka

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

weemcd wrote:
    Where can I get such a delicacy?

It was brought over from the States for me, but you might get it in a better class of duty free like Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle if you're ever passing through them. I saw some very interesting bottles in both and picked up a nice bottle of Wild Turkey Sherry Signature in CDG.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the interest of research I purchased a bottle of 95% ALCOOL
    The brand is Buongusto , with a purple label. It cost a whopping €11.40 for a 1 Litre bottle.

Still haven't oppened it yet. It's got as much alcohol in it as 30 in pints of 5%

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In the interest of research I purchased a bottle of 95% ALCOOL
    The brand is Buongusto , with a purple label. It cost a whopping €11.40 for a 1 Litre bottle.

Still haven't oppened it yet. It's got as much alcohol in it as 30 in pints of 5%

We've gotta get some of that for the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

had some absinth there last week... green, bout 90%

****ing hell

my mouth went numb and lost my sense of taste,:D

i love being underage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

Celticfire wrote:
    Myself it has to be Bacardi 151. At 75.5% alcohol it must rate pretty highly up there.

Bacardi_151_1000.jpg

It's the only drink I've ever come across with a high flammability warning label and a flame arrestor on the top of the bottle :eek:

What's the highest alcoholic content drink you've had?

have had shots of ice-cold bacardi 151 as well 75.5% phew!!! my beer at the mo is voll damm 7.2% toasted beer double malt. have hat a few times some belgian beers ranging from 9-12%

cand beat a proper IRISH pint of auld uncle Arthur´s black tho......... I do miss the stuff. I have amstel in de bar on draught around 5% having a pint now!!!!!

Advertisement