Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strongest drink you have consumed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I had a shot of La Fee Absinthe at the weekend. First time having some. Think it was 70% or 75%. A bit rough, but I have tasted worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

had to be some poitin from a lemonade bottle all the way from achill island...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pete Sadlier

Long long story, but I URGENTLY need a bottle of Bacardi 151. Can I get this in Ireland?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

80% blue absinthe.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Holy necro thread Batman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Black Absinthe, 160 proof. *shudders* never again, woke up on a grand piano with no clue how i got there..

After that, downing a pint of whiskey (Paddy) in 11 seconds. Surprisingly enough i wasn't drunk until about 45 minutes later..

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Absinthe, Pálinka and Slivovitz mostly consumed in the Czech republic on holidays... worst hangover I ever had in my life. never slept all night, up every half hour to run to the bathroom..

never had the ol' potato juice here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

unkel wrote: »
    post-16-1106204939.jpg

Stroh Rum. Austrian stuff. 80% VOL / 160 proof

Many years ago. my pour gut would not be up for that now :)

Oh man, that stuff is the shizz nizz! Had some in Austria a few years back. Mix in at least a double shot with black tea (minus the tea bag or leaves :D) or coffee and hey presto! one hell of a tasty drink! Forget hot whiskeys after ya taste this stuff. MMMmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

had a few absinthe's now. highest was 85%. tasted like the smell of paint stripper.

on a snowboarding trip to Andorra, few mates and i found a tiny shop selling 650ml bottles of "Weed Absinthe" for €3.50! didnt say what the % was, and the owner couldnt talk english, suspect the old spanaird made it herself anyway. took 1 sip and threw up immediatly. so did the lads. made the normal absinthe taste like a glass of milk. good times though. bottle of the stuff (on an empty stomach, cause eating is cheating) and hitting the pubs till 6 or 7am, then sleep for a few hours before hitting the slopes. repeat x7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd have to go with the usual poitin of questionable strength. For some reason my dad refuses to keep it in the spirit cupboard because it's not legal - like we're going to be raided or something. As a result, we usually find the poitin hidden in some obscure cupboard in an unlabeled glass bottle. Never quite sure if we're drinking poitin or paint thinner.....
    J.S. Pill wrote: »
    Ditto

The flammability warning is quite funny but its there for a very good reason

I remember the first time I had that. Was absolutly hammered when our host decided doing shots of that would be a good idea. We had a good laugh reading the warning labels on the bottle : "Contains flame retardant" and "May burn with an invisible flame". Started speculating on how funny it would be to see someone jumping around the place being burned with an invisible flame while everybody wonders wtf is going on, while at the same time being aware that we were probably hammered enough for it to actually happen. Good times....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I've had legal poitín and the stuff that comes in old glass lucozade bottles The former was 97%, the latter...who knows? :D
    ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to distill ethanol above 96% purity by traditional methods.
    Yes, you won't get to 97% without chemically "drying" the alcohol or I think distilling in vacuums. Also if you do get say 99% alcohol and open the lid it actively draws moisture from the air and diultes itself down. 96.5% is the limit, I have made and drank it, 60-70% is my preferred strength, above 90% sort of dries your teeth, weird feeling.
    ApeXaviour wrote: »
    My hydrometer told me it was approx 90%, so that was the strongest drink I've ever consumed.
    I have a alcoholometer -a hydrometer with a spirit scale on it.

It is sad to see all the myths still prevailing about distillation, if done right you produce a far cleaner spirit than you can buy commerically. On sites you will see the lack of hangover recognised as a successful distillation run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Drank nearly a half a bottle of poteen one night (it was in Jameson bottles).
    It was tough to drink, but once I lost feeling in my head and surrounding areas, it was grand.
    I don't remember getting home. Apparently I left for a taxi with Will, but as we were heading in opposite directions, I don't know what happened. Woke up fully clothed in bed at home so it must have worked out ok.

Poteen's great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Drank poitin once with a mate, and tried to cycle home from Tonlegee Road to Edenmore, normally a 5 minute cycle. Woke up 5 hours later in Sutton cemetry covered in cuts & grazes. Havent touched it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a mate of mine brought homemade baileys mixed with poitin into work a while back. i had a good few shots of it and it was grand....til i stood up. i was literally legless and had to be thrown into the back of a van to sleep it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I've had legal poitín and the stuff that comes in old glass lucozade bottles The former was 97%, the latter...who knows? :D

highest you can have is 96%, anything over you need to add chemicals(deadly) so that it remains stable so that the atmosphere doesnt absorb the alcohol from the liquid

in mexico i walked into a liquor store that only sold spirits. the guy let me taste some stuff. i bought 2 bottles of tequilla and after trying a load of strong stuff that wasnt hitting the spot he took out a bottle and poured me half a shot. he didnt tell me what it was and i knocked it back with no worries.
    it was strong, very strong. i was about to tell him i liked it but the fumes and heat came up and made it hard to talk. it was the afternoon and i was 100% sober and not really prepared for drinking.

i then asked to look at the bottle and saw 192proof. being irish i quickly took out my money to buy this lethal stuff. i didnt drink it again untill i got to san francisco, but again it was during the afternoon and i was sober...
    i then discovered thru some googling that its not licensed for human consumption and is used as a fuel source for cooking. its pure sugar cane alcohol with nothing added, it could possibly have lead contamination, not sure.

a few months later back in ireland we had a family get together and i had wine,sweet spanish liquor, whiskey and then had my 2 (small)bottles of tequilla. when they ran out i decided to get the hard stuff and i had a few shots... and then decided i dont want to die tonite so ill put it away and have some more whiskey instead.

it was alot easier to drink when your drunk.

...i still have some left over if anyone wants to try it? i stopped drinking it and used it for cleaning stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Strongest branded thing I've had was Stroh 80, think it's an Austrian spirit, like a dark and angry jaeger.

I have a plastic fanta bottle at home containing some magical Boznia-Herzogovina (sp?) homebrew that... phew... it's got a bit of explosives to it alright.

...i still have some left over if anyone wants to try it? i stopped drinking it and used it for cleaning stuff!

Ill swap it for a bottle of cleaning stuff. no seriously, PM me if ur interested.

i wish they sold 40oz malt liquor in ireland. i loved the stuff over in america. my fav was olde english 800 or steel reserve 211 high gravity. most of them are 7-9%, 2-2.50dollars each. great value and great taste too.
    i was in a liquor store in tennessee and they had amazing beers. one of the beers had a picture of a half woman half wolf face and it tasted pretty cool too. i ended up buying some guinness there as it was the irish stuff not the canadian stuff and my yank mates had never had it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

i drank 3,120 cans of dutch gold, and it didn't affect me at all.
    i then shagged about 30 birds and knocked out 20 guys.
    i'll bet you're impressed? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

oh, i forgot to mention a liver transplant, i'm hard as fùck.
    fighting irish.

What's a 120 can of Dutch Gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What's a 120 can of Dutch Gold?

Three thousand one hunderd and twenty. Cut the guy a bit of slack, he's trying to be funny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Absolute ethanol, chemically dried to be 99.999% alcohol.

It tasted like Tesco value vodka.

Otherwise just regular 75% absinthe.

enda1 wrote: »
    Three thousand one hunderd and twenty. Cut the guy a bit of slack, he's trying to be funny ;)

OH! I thought it was like

I drank 3 , 120 cans, of Dutch Gold

Wow, he is in need of a liver transplant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Aftershock slammer ( Tenerife ), a bit of everything. The barman said i wouldn't be able to walk if i had 3 of them and of course i took the challenge and about 45mins later i was asleep on a chair and unable to walk :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Probably Poitin, drank out of a Ballygowan bottle handed to me by my cousin.

I drove a car for the first time about ten minutes later, fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dano

Absinthe, 90 odd %, Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Dano wrote: »
    Absinthe, 90 odd %, Crazy

Had a btl of black that was 90%. Took me ages to drink (700ml bottle.....about 5 months?) Tasted like crap unless you were allready wasted and then you have to ask yourself, "Why am i drinking this ath THIS stage of the night?".

I once just had a capfull before i went out with a bottle of beer....was spitting hot saliva for about 3 minutes. Horrific stuff.

Myself and 2 mates (one of which owned the bar) came up with a drink called a flaming Fritzel one night which led to the bar counter setting on fire. Basically 3 types of absinthe. Fun stuff.

• Advertisement

we found that the best way to drink absinthe was in a large glass, half full of absinthe - set it on fire and fill the glass with grenadine, pouring it down the side so as not to put the flame out, then grab a straw and suck like bejasus. you obviously have to drink quickly, or you lose too much alcohol to the flame. alsothe straw tends to melt, have a few on hand. called a Ferrari.

Advertisement