Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Monokne wrote: »
    Dave isn't usually wrong so it wouldn't stun me if there were ROH footage on it.

That said, until I see the finished product I'm not convinced. I can imagine ROH footage blended into the documentary, but actual matches...I dunno, for one reason or another I have this sense Crazy Vince might not let it happen, a bit like the Punk/Sonnen walk out situation.

I am at pains to point out that having an intense debate about this is pointless because it is on the whims of a neurotic, irrational, possibly senile late 60's gentleman.

ROH isnt the UFC. ROH isnt a threat. I've followed ROH from the beginning. WWE and ROH have always had a great relationship. WWE has never done anything aggressive to ROH. Both realise it is a feeder system in the bigger picture. Vince has allowed references to ROH on WWE TV a number of times.

I already said I doubt it; Vince can very paranoid for promoting another promotion in such away that can be seen in his eyes as competition. I know they are not, you know they are not, but it still pops up like that. Unless Vince owns it he can be reluctant to using it.

Give me an example of Vince directly axing something DVD related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

gimmick wrote: »
    Lets leave it at that shall we?

I repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

As a newb, I'm just curious - what's with the super tight moderation? It's just a conversation :-)

I feel bad for poor Rovert!

I repeat.

I legitimately missed.

I was right about Rob Naylor and Ill be right about this. :P

End.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Lets leave it at that shall we?

I repeat.

Apologies, you and I posted the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just to clarify, you can continue the conversation. It has been ascertained as to what rovert was on about, so lets leave that as is now. If ye want to talk about other aspects of the DVD, and matches it may have missed etc etc, please go ahead. I may split this into its own thread as well seeing as it has gotten some chat going.

Monokne wrote: »
    As a newb, I'm just curious - what's with the super tight moderation? It's just a conversation :-)

I feel bad for poor Rovert!

Welcome to the forum. We generally feel this is one of the easiest going forums on boards. In general, there is little need for any moderation at all. But in order to maintain a good vibe here, we try and nip any arguments in the bud pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

To get the full picture of punk i hope that they do get the ROH footage to show and have talk speak about his time there in full. It would be great.

It would be even better if they made a sheamo dvd down the line and payed IWW money to get some of their footage. I would love to see myself on a wwe dvd. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Is ROH Final Battle 2011 any good? Thinking of picking it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Watched The Rise and Fall of WCW last night (<3 Netflix). Was decent but hardly illuminating about anything.

Question; Are all WWE DVDs nowadays plauged by loud background music? I was trying to watch it at a lowered volume due to my brother studying in the next room, and often struggled to make out what people were saying due to the music being played over the talking-heads :(

Is ROH Final Battle 2011 any good? Thinking of picking it up.

Now that's a can of worms. The best yes and no DVD ever.

Errm pick it up in a sale would be my advice. You wont enjoy, enjoy it as the show is WAY too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was in Golden Discs there and it looks like they got a new shipment in. Been nearly 6-7 months since they had any new ones in there. I spotted:
    • Allied Powers dvd set
    • John Cena Experience
    • Wrestlemania 25
    • Wrestlemania 27
    • Jeff Hardy boxset
    • Over The Limit
    • Greatest Cage Matches
    • Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century
    Cena, cage and superstars are on Netflix so I passed on them. Cena set was only €4 thought so great for younger kids.

Picked up Allied Powers for €10 and WMXXV for €13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Was in Golden Discs there and it looks like they got a new shipment in. Been nearly 6-7 months since they had any new ones in there. I spotted:
    • Allied Powers dvd set
    • John Cena Experience
    • Wrestlemania 25
    • Wrestlemania 27
    • Jeff Hardy boxset
    • Over The Limit
    • Greatest Cage Matches
    • Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century
    Cena, cage and superstars are on Netflix so I passed on them. Cena set was only €4 thought so great for younger kids.

Picked up Allied Powers for €10 and WMXXV for €13.

Link for netflix

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century (despite the ridiculous title) is a well made short look at a range of superstars from the last decade. If it's a couple of euro i'd give it a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century (despite the ridiculous title) is a well made short look at a range of superstars from the last decade. If it's a couple of euro i'd give it a watch!

Might give this a watch on Netflix later avoided because of the title been honest

It's a follow up to the "Greatest Superstars of the 90s" DVD they made a few years ago; which was much better than the 80s one i found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Been watching the Stone Cold dvd that was released before Christmas. Relly enjoyed the documentary part. I was in stitches laughing at Jericho describing Vince's first Stunner, what was that, is it a new move. Looking forward to some of the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

but1er wrote: »
    Link for netflix
    US Netflix, cant be arsed looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Just watched the Rock's new DVD. Honest opinion, its good not as good or nearly indept as Austin's. The interviews especially with Vince are great, but it really seems like a $50 dollar Blu Ray/DVD advertisment for Rock vs. Cena at Mania which is absolutely ridiculous. I swear they spend more time talking about Rock's return since February 2011 than any other period in his career.

Just watched the Rock's new DVD. Honest opinion, its good not as good or nearly indept as Austin's. The interviews especially with Vince are great, but it really seems like a $50 dollar Blu Ray/DVD advertisment for Rock vs. Cena at Mania which is absolutely ridiculous. I swear they spend more time talking about Rock's return since February 2011 than any other period in his career.

Haven't seen it yet but Rock simply isnt a reflective or open person at least publicly to any real degree. There is reason why his book went kayfabe after like his first WWF match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

rovert wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet but Rock simply isnt a reflective or open person at least publicly to any real degree. There is reason why his book went kayfabe after like his first WWF match.

Yeah it definitely came across that way, was no real depth to his documentary. Vince definitely talks about his career with more vigor and passion than Rocky does. And it really glanced over certain aspects of his career, just barely touching on certain things, in particular it glanced over Rock and Austin, Rock and Hogan. Which i found strange. Yet it went into great depth about Hollywood and Cena/Rock.

• Advertisement

Yeah it definitely came across that way, was no real depth to his documentary. Vince definitely talks about his career with more vigor and passion than Rocky does. And it really glanced over certain aspects of his career, just barely touching on certain things, in particular it glanced over Rock and Austin, Rock and Hogan. Which i found strange. Yet it went into great depth about Hollywood and Cena/Rock.

Don't know whether Rock being guarded is to do with keeping a Hollywood image - enigmatic rather than someone you would have a beer with like say Austin is OR being a third generation wrestler and hanging on to kayfabe to a degree OR most likely holding his cards close to his chest when it comes to locker room politics - not showing his hand on his feelings on Hunter both back in the day and now etc. Perhaps just a combination of all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The Triumph and Tragedy of WCCW is on Netflix,anyone seen it?is it worth a watch?

The Triumph and Tragedy of WCCW is on Netflix,anyone seen it?is it worth a watch?

They gloss over some of the details/dark parts but I thought it was a great watch. That said, I'm a bit partial to old wrestling :P The SuperClash III bit was pretty funny. Hayes doesn't shut up about how great and important he was though

This makes more sense to post here and for those who watch the Rock DVD. But Meltzer thinks (or was possibly told) that the reason why Rock was legitimately angry looking rather than acting angry on Raw this week was that Rock wasn't taken aback by the writing on his hand line rather it was Cena calling him a son of a bitch without being told. The DVD explains his mom and him are very, very close owing to his dad no being around and touring the country when he was a child

Returning to the CM Punk DVD chestnut. Punk tweeted:
    "Man. This DVD is going to be so great. #LWF #MAW #SDW #IWA #IWC #ROH #OVW #WWE"

Fair play rovert, that'll probably be my next purchase. Finished the Stone Cold dvd last nite. Very good and a few laughs in it, they picked out great promo's for the last dvd (Vince singing the theme tune to Welcome back kotter to him is just priceless). Pat Paterson takes a pretty good chokeslam too, who knew. Only watching it did I notice most of Vince's stunners are like a cross between a cutter and a snapmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I've so many Punk dvds at this stage that I'll more than likely have most of the earlier stuff on that anyway. Really looking forward to it though and it's a day one buy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,989 ✭✭✭cena

Golden disk in Athlone had has the john cena dvd for 4 euro. They had a few copies of it

• Advertisement

Former Ring of Honor champion and TNA star Nigel "Desmond Wolfe" McGuinness is working on a new documentary titled "The Last
    McGuinness", which will cover the end of his in-ring career and his "retirement" tour on the independent circuit last year. McGuinness has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to complete the production of the documentary at this link. On his Kickstarter page, McGuinness
    explained why he's making the
    documentary and why he'd like fans to support the project: "Over six weeks, at the end of 2011, I completed my retirement tour. I have over sixty hours of footage that I either shot myself or with the help of whatever friend or stranger I could find. It was not ideal - not like I'd hoped or imagined - but then neither was my career. What is was, however, was an intimate and heartfelt insight into the industry I spent my life pursuing and the final step of my childhood dream as I traveled the world on my journey. Part documentary, part shoot DVD, you will see the amazing characters I met along the way and the emotional journey I took. Most of us who were professional wrestlers never made it to the heights of fame and fortune in WWE. For us, the world of independent professional wrestling was our life. Away from the lights and TV cameras, away from sports entertainment, it is our piece of the dream we all had when we were fans, shared with the fans that get it. And this is one of our stories. Moving on from wrestling is the toughest decision I have ever had to make. I am looking to get the
    funding, not only to make the
    documentary, but also to learn the
    skills to be able to explore other avenues beyond the ring in the
    future. More than this though, I think it's a story everyone will enjoy and learn from. I know I did."

Advertisement