Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early morning scumbag call

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

wow guys that sounds like a really kool place. I was waiting for a bus home from work the other night and there was some drunk standing on O Connell St shouting at everyone... two policemen were walking on the opposite side of the street.. nothing was done about it. He was left to rant and stumble further down the street ...

The gangs outside Dr.Quirkeys... need I say anymore??

I work late after college, walking home from the bus stop feels very threatening. There needs to be more guards around, though in fairness to them I have seen more in town recently. There just isn't enough!!

Actually, this thread made me realise, it really isn't very safe out there at all. Somebody mentioned above that the law is on the criminal's side... I couldn't agree more! You're dead right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

MizzLolly wrote: »
    wow guys that sounds like a really kool place. I was waiting for a bus home from work the other night and there was some drunk standing on O Connell St shouting at everyone... two policemen were walking on the opposite side of the street.. nothing was done about it. He was left to rant and stumble further down the street ...

I work late after college, walking home from the bus stop feels very threatening. There needs to be more guards around, though in fairness to them I have seen more in town recently. There just isn't enough!!

Actually, this thread made me realise, it really isn't very safe out there at all. Somebody mentioned above that the law is on the criminal's side... I couldn't agree more! You're dead right!!

Was the drunk shouting abuse or just shouting?
    If he was just shouting - it's annoying but not really worth wasting Garda time, is it? If he was shouting abuse on O'Connell St. and didn't get beaten up, I'd say Dublin is safer than I had thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

**EDIT**
    marcsignal wrote: »
    Yeah I agree congo_90, the law needs reform for sure. Thats the real difference here, If you break the law, you pay for it, theres none of this revolving door crap.

I had heard that the Garda wont use the new telescopic batons in Ireland, because they were worried about being sued ??
    If that is true, it is fckn madness

The fear isn't so much being sued as again the law protecting its scum. The garda are afraid to use any force against teens in case it becomes a big case of unfair abuse.A court case and media would highlight something where the garda could have used reasonable force.
    Also, i would say too many gards would get power happy. (imo)

What we need to do is send Bertie and the his posse to walk the streets without the fancy cameras and security (maybe in backround, he is taisaoich after all *spelling). Then send them to other countries who will show us how to make the streets safer.

This madness will never end until the above is done and put into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'll throw in my 2cents worth.

Hear banging a few months back, look out the window and some teenage scumbags are kicking the front door of the apartment block, trying to kick it open. So I tells them to **** right off, as you do. Since there are 5 of them them hurled the usual threats and abuse which I wasn't really too interested in so I close the window and sit back down. Next thing there's a loud crack from one of my windows. They've thrown a large stone at my window, luckily for me they are throwing at an angle so it only takes a chip of out the window but doesn't break it. Since there are 5 of them I'm not wondering down there to have a face to face but I do live next to the Special Criminal Court so I know the Gardai will turn up double quick. So the Gardai arrive in moments and surprise surpise then know my new friends and where they live, the flats around the corner. As they are all 16 or under all they can do is report them to the council, with enough complaints the families can get evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

meglome wrote: »

Hear banging a few months back, look out the window and some teenage scumbags are kicking the front door of the apartment block, trying to kick it open. So I tells them to **** right off, as you do. Since there are 5 of them them hurled the usual threats and abuse which I wasn't really too interested in so I close the window and sit back down. Next thing there's a loud crack from one of my windows. They've thrown a large stone at my window, luckily for me they are throwing at an angle so it only takes a chip of out the window but doesn't break it. Since there are 5 of them I'm not wondering down there to have a face to face but I do live next to the Special Criminal Court so I know the Gardai will turn up double quick. So the Gardai arrive in moments and surprise surpise then know my new friends and where they live, the flats around the corner. As they are all 16 or under all they can do is report them to the council, with enough complaints the families can get evicted.

A classic example bud, The worst thing is that the teens learn from watch the older teens when they're 13-14ish that the law can do nothing. So now they know the world is their oyster. What ever happened to groups of men wandering estates in myterious vans "assisting the garda" by giving a few slaps to these lads? that fixes em up quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

I had heard that the Garda wont use the new telescopic batons in Ireland, because they were worried about being sued ??
    If that is true, it is fckn madness ??

The main problem they face is the new Garda Ombudsman. Criminals/Scumbags know every trick under the sun and they know that the mere mention of the words Garda Ombudsman to the arresting officers means kid glove treatment. The Ombudsman is much needed in terms of sorting out any officers who are not fit to wear the uniform but they have a tendency to take it to extremes, giving each case a full investigation leading to a stressful time for a Garda who may have had a complaint launched against him for the slightest use of force when arresting an individual.

Also, why is it that 99% of people I speak to on the matter are completely in favour of increasing sentences, tougher penalties for offending scumbags yet nothing seems to be done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

....what difference does that make to anything?? It's what I believe. I don't need to justify myself to you! And the argument you are trying to cause belongs to a different thread, not this one. I've basically agreed with most of the above comments. I'm sure I'm not the only person who agrees that sterilisation is a better option than abortion! Not that it's relevant to this thread anyway. You're trying to start an argument about abortion and I can clearly see you're pro-choice. I'm not, yet I haven't attacked your beliefs. In fact I never even said that the person who did mention abortion was wrong!!! So I think you are unfairly provoking something that is irrelevant to this topic, simply because you don't agree. :(

Actually, it's not the abortion stance I have a problem with.

It's the fact that you would willingly support the sterilisation of a group of people, simply because they don't live up to the standards of normal society.

This completely contradicts your belief that people shouldn't have abortions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I dread coming home sometimes, especially around Christmas, because the drink fuelled street madness is worse.

I don't know why it works here (Germany), and not at home ? Nobody interferes with you here, you could walk down the street in your pyjamas, and nobody would look twice, never mind 'say' anything to you.

Having said that everybody carries I.D. here, including me, as a foreigner. If you are caught without it, you get a serious bollocking and a fine, and depending on the circumstances (If you are causing trouble), you WILL be held by police until your Identification can be established.

There is a Government Office called the 'Jugendamt' (like Social Services dealing with Kids specifically), who will call to the parents house if a kid gets into trouble. They check out the home situation, and if there is evidence of neglect on the part of the parents, there is a chance your kids will be taken off you. Having said all that, it works, because the Infrastructure (sp?) is there to support it. I think that is one of the problems we have in Ireland. No Infrastructure, No .I.D. system, No Accountability, and Bad Parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

We need a system whereby the parents of repeat offender children get their socail welfare cut. This would make them think twice about letting their little ****s out at night. I live near the IFSC, not too bad, a few little scummers but relativley harmless. I gave a group of them a shove out of the way when they wee blocking my gate once. ****ers could not believe that someone had dared stop them being a nusiance. I wouldn't hesitate to give one or two of them a few digs if they got violent in anyway towrads me either. Self defence and all that. I seriously believe that if people didnt turn a blind eye, look out the window when scumbags start trouble on public transport etc, then we wouldnt have as big a problem as we do. Its apathy and fear that stops people from taking action.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Moojuice wrote: »
    I gave a group of them a shove out of the way when they wee blocking my gate once.
    QUOTE]

They were probably just taking the piss!

• Advertisement

We need a system whereby the parents of repeat offender children get their socail welfare cut. This would make them think twice about letting their little ****s out at night.

Yeah, I totally agree Moojuice, it would be a start anyway. I think however, if the Govt. were to suggest bringing in I.D. like Germany, and arming the police with Tazers etc. you'd be met with the usual barrage of do-gooders, whinging about their civil rights.
    Sadly, I think it will have to get a lot worse, (if thats possible) before Ireland makes any headway on this issue.

I feel particular sympathy for elderly people living in these estates, who are terrified prisoners in thier own homes.
    What a sad, horrible way, to have to live out your retirement.
    Crimes against the elderly should be dealt with, in an especially severe way IMO.

Probably, punchestown, but thats where it starts. They are not taught to respect anything or anybody at home, by their parents.
    The only thing they might respect, IMO, is a swift kick up the hole.
    meglome wrote: »

Hear banging a few months back, look out the window and some teenage scumbags are kicking the front door of the apartment block, trying to kick it open. So I tells them to **** right off, as you do.

Thats where you slipped up meglome. An inflated condom full of piss, launched discreetly over the balcony in their direction, would have been a much better, and funnier move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

marcsignal wrote:
    The only thing they might respect, IMO, is a swift kick up the hole.
    Yeah.
    And then they have you done for assault and the ultra liberal judge locks you up for a couple of weeks because some hippy solicitor says that the scumbag involved comes from a broken home and that's why s/he causes trouble.

I really am getting sick of people not taking responsibility for their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I gave a group of them a shove out of the way when they wee blocking my gate once.
    QUOTE]

HA!! I must try harder to watch my spelling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Whenever we park the car in Munich city centre, I, out of habit, start to put bags in the boot, and the kids mp3 players etc. in the glovebox, and my better half almost pisses herself laughing, because nobody would steal anything from your car here. On more than one occasion she has not even locked the car.

Remember when I was in Berlin for a bit a few years ago, was asking the manager of the local Irish pub about the general level of crime/antisocial behaviour in the area in comparison to home. He explained that there was virtually none at all. He then went on to explain that a few years previously there was a car stolen in the adjacent street and driven at full speed down the street past the synagogue.

That was a bad mistake as the synagogue area has a constant patrol of several police armed with machine guns. The joyriders were followed at speed by a van load of cops who proceeded to machine gun the car killing the two occupants. He explained that by joyriding around city streets in Germany you are considered armed and dangerous and the police will not hesitate to shoot you instantly, no courts, nothing, just death.
    Needless to say, Joyriding is Berlin is only for the most brave of scummers.

Kinda shocked me a little but I think now at home how useful that little law might be when the scummers are at it around our estate every night of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Hopped on the train the other day and was one of the lucky ones who had a seat. That is, I found myself a piece of floor by the luggage shelving and set up camp. Aboot half way through the journey, three wans who have absolutely no hope in life stood alongside me. I dipped into their conversation every now and then. This exchange was the best.
    Wan 1: Ahhhh d'ya hear tha biddy o'hanrahanrahan's off to university next year. De freak!!!
    Wan 2: Ahh here, she's quare lookin for a box in the faaaaace if she's thinkin of doin tha!
    Had to restrain myself, otherwise i'd have cracked my hole laughing.

Marcsignal... I was in Munich and Dachau for awhile last year. Loved the places to bits (may head back soon) although I have to say that I did encounter a few people who were impatient and rude. Would it be fair to say that people there just don't tolerate s**t if presented with it?

Marcsignal... I was in Munich and Dachau for awhile last year. Loved the places to bits (may head back soon) although I have to say that I did encounter a few people who were impatient and rude. Would it be fair to say that people there just don't tolerate s**t if presented with it?

yeah, very fair and true comment, it's a humbling experience, but worth getting over and integrating to enjoy all the great aspects of this place you have at your disposal.

It's great setting out for, a very cheap, night on the piss here, safe in the knowledge, that you won't get any hassle from some track suited lowlife c*unt.

If you wore a tracksiut to the pub here, some kraut would say "You ver in ze Gymnasium training ? Ja ?":D

That HOLE sould never have been allowed to exist on our capitals main street.
    Whoever was responsible for granting the licence should be strung up.

And as for the Spire, well it's representative anyway. A Gigantic Heroin Needle, right in the heart of Dublin.

It's a bit crazy when you think, you're safer in DACHAU, than in Dublin, now that's irony..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

yeah, very fair and true comment, it's a humbling experience, but worth getting over and integrating to enjoy all the great aspects of this place you have at your disposal.

It's great setting out for, a very cheap, night on the piss here, safe in the knowledge, that you won't get any hassle from some track suited lowlife c*unt.

If you wore a tracksiut to the pub here, some kraut would say "You ver in ze Gymnasium training ? Ja ?":D

Tragst du Nike Airmax?? Du bist dumm! Totally agreed that it's worth getting over, something I'd no problem doing while there.

Tragst du Nike Airmax?? Du bist dumm!

Hoch Deutsch? Ich denke nicht...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You can easily make a balaclava by cutting the arm off a jumper and cutting two holes in it.If you put ammonia into a jif lemon bottle it'll temporarily blind even the toughest scumbag.You can buy a pair of handcuffs from an ex army shop for less than 20 quid.Human kneecaps will allways come off worst in an encounter with an iron bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Degsy wrote: »
    You can easily make a balaclava by cutting the arm off a jumper and cutting two holes in it.If you put ammonia into a jif lemon bottle it'll temporarily blind even the toughest scumbag.You can buy a pair of handcuffs from an ex army shop for less than 20 quid.Human kneecaps will allways come off worst in an encounter with an iron bar.

You're not advocating any of those actions, are ya Degsy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

We build alll these estates with no thoughts of amenities and this is what happens when teenagers have nothing to do.

I find the level of prejudice & bigotry on this thread alarming frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SetantaL wrote: »
    We build alll these estates with no thoughts of amenities and this is what happens when teenagers have nothing to do.

I find the level of prejudice & bigotry on this thread alarming frankly.

I was brought up in a place with feck all 'amenities' for young people.
    Didn't mean I had to run riot every night and be well known to the guards as a troublemaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I was brought up in a place with feck all 'amenities' for young people.
    Didn't mean I had to run riot every night and be well known to the guards as a troublemaker.

I agree. Lived in little town on Poland till I was 17, nothing, and I mean nothing, to do apart from what we organised ourselves. had a great time, never was in any trouble, and there was never any trouble in town either. About 10.000 people was living in this town, and there wasn't even a Police station.

cougar1 wrote: »
    The joyriders were followed at speed by a van load of cops who proceeded to machine gun the car killing the two occupants. He explained that by joyriding around city streets in Germany you are considered armed and dangerous and the police will not hesitate to shoot you instantly, no courts, nothing, just death.

Yey Hey !! Go Polizei !! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Archimedes wrote: »
    What are laws like regarding citizens arrest in Ireland? For instance, if you find one of these ****ers in your back garden, can you get him on the ground, and hold him down until the guards come or can the little sh1t come back and sue you then?

Citizens arrest allows you to use the minimum force necessary to keep someone from fleeing. It is lawful when all of these conditions apply

1: You have reason to believe a person in IN THE ACT of committing an ARRESTABLE crime.
    OR
    You are sure that an ARRESTABLE crime has been comitted (ie you can prove it) AND you have reason to believe that this person was responsible

2: It is not reasonable to get a Garda to make the arrest (ie none in shouting distance

3: The arrest is nessary to prevent injury, loss of property, or to prevent the suspect from running away (ie the suspect is not willing to sit quietly and wait for the guards).

4: You hand him over to the guards as soon as possible.

5: You must explain to him that he is under arrest and why. Laymans terms are fine. (ie "You're nicked, you little ****er" is quite acceptable)

Notes: An arrestable crime is defined as one which could in theory carry a 5 year sentance. This includes theft, property damage and pretty much anything violent.

I don't know how/if any of this applies to minors.

I wouldn't reccommend any of the above without at least one witness to back up your story, or you will almost certainly find yourself facing charges for unlawful detainment.

Minimum force starts with verbally insisting they stay put and finishes with pinning them down and sitting on them (no pain compliance or choke holds). Anything more and you'd better be able to show that it was self defence. Also, handcuffs or other restraints are a no-no

If someone feels that they are being wrongfully detained, they are entitled to defend themselves. In this case, who assaulted who will be decided after the event.

Jaysus, that ran a bit long. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

But in fact nobody looses time to think about minimum necessary force. I know, tha I would go to jail, but if anybody would attack let say my girlfriend, I will do anything to stop him including breaking the neck.
    As a foreiginer's distance I see the sources of scumbag - problem.
    1. Too much of social welfare for scumbags (I'd love to have this amount!)
    2. You can't do anything if a kid abuses You or do anything bad (destroys property, car, bus etc.)
    3. Gardai doesn't carry guns wchich is just funny for most of foreigners. (People in my country recon that is not true, but just a joke).
    4. We should be in touch with neighbours, don't be anonymous.
    5. Kids. What about jails (reformatory) for kids?
    6. Self defence things such as pepper spray, CS gas, tasser should be allowed as in most countries.

I know that most of it is up to government, but we, as normal people, should stay together against anti - social behaviour! Get to know Your neighbour, meet them and discuss.
    Be a role model for others. Anybdy tell me why people throw rubbish on the streets, out of cars, buses? Ask marcsignal what happens if you do that in Germany.
    My advice: start travel and see how Ireland (and as I heard UK as well) is away behind other western - europe (not only western-europe) countries!
    Yes, Ireland is rich now, but life is not only about money!! C'mon! people! Don't destroy beautiful place - Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

the only thing scumbags understand is pain, we should shoot them all and let god deal with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

My sitting room window was smashed in last night. It happened at 11.30. I
    was lying on the sofa watching tv when there was an almighty smash.

I jumped up, unlocked the door and ran out. Couldnt see anybody. I rang the
    guards and waited for them to arrive. While I was waiting a teenager walked
    by, he went into the council estate beside our estate and sat facing the houses. I thought it was strange so decided to keep an eye on him.

About 10 minutes later he walked by the house again. He walked up towards the shops and crossed the road and ju mped over the railings into the other side of the esatate. Next minute I heard a huge smash.that sounded like glass smashing. I ran over to see theguy jump over the railings. I let a shout at him and he picked up a stick and proceeded to run towards me.

He thought better of it when I said I would bounce him around the estate if
    he came near me. He then ran off towards the shops with me chasing him. Unfortunately (or luckilly for him) I couldnt catch him.

About 5 minutes later I saw him in the distance in the neighbouring estate but there was no way I was going into that cesspit of hell to try and catch him. There was already a guy killed out our way on Sat morning. I wasnt taking any chances.

The gardai arrived about 10 minutes later. I gave the details of the guy and
    they said they would look around.

I now have to take today offf work as I need to get the pane of glass
    replaced. The guy will have to come out, measure the window and then go off and cut the glass and then come back and replace it. My employer is not
    going to be happy but what choice do I have. The scumbag layabouts have cost me yet another day off work :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Sorry to hear that gazzer, yet that sort of behaviour is so common place these days. That little runt is obviously so accustomed to not having any consequence for his actions that he casually goes about walking past were he damaged and does it again just over the road.

Worst of all if you were to apprehend the little p***k then you'll probably be in the station for the night explaining your heavy handedness. To get him to pay for his damages is a nightmare as it probably wont be inforced by law or councils, he'd most likely get a telling off and told not to do it again whereby he responds by coming back with his cretinous mates to make your life a misery, its insane.

It just not acceptable this sort of carry on. By right he should be put into a part-time government community service type program whereby he has to work for a few weeks to earn enough to pay you the victim for the cost of repairs plus the cost of you losing a days work etc. If he was made pay 400euro to the victim of his actions every time he did this then i'd imagine he wouldnt do it too often. As things stand he'll never learn.

It sickens me because the same thing happened to my old mums house recently, and theres largely nothing that can be done about it unless I want a few days in prison for myself. Yes I've spoke/argued with his parents. They dont give a f**k what their kid gets up to, yet if I was to put a large brick throught their window, then the guards and court would be quick to act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Worst of all if you were to apprehend the little p***k then you'll probably be in the station for the night explaining your heavy handedness. .
    yet if I was to put a large brick throught their window, then the guards and court would be quick to act.

Good points.

Anyway care to guess why the Gardai have no problem punishing anyone who retaliates to violence while taking a much more lenient stance against those who instigates trouble?

Are the retaliators an easier target or what?

Advertisement