Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Estofex show any potential t-storm activity today only being in the southern half of the country:http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007062506_200706232024_2_stormforecast.xml

Raining here solid for the last hour or more anyhow-peak rain rate 6.1mm/hr-so enough to get you quite wet.
    No sferics

Total for june is now 103.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

a few very heavy showers showing up in the South now on Nw radar, rates around 60mm/hr, in Clare and East cork

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Fabulous cumulonimbus displays most of the afternoon with well lit black clouds and high brilliantly white developing anvils all towards the coast and to the east of me towards Cork. Whole family was storm watching because not a drop wher we were, but very heavy downpours under the

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

sunset wrote:
    Fabulous cumulonimbus displays most of the afternoon with well lit black clouds and high brilliantly white developing anvils all towards the coast and to the east of me towards Cork. Whole family was storm watching because not a drop wher we were, but very heavy downpours under the
    Sorry... before I was rudely interrupted by my computer going ahead and posting when I was in mid sentence, I was about to say...

downpours under the CBs and then brilliant flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder - again towards the coast, about 5 miles away. Great afternoon!!!

• Advertisement

lashing rain here currently and on and off all day today too also with brilliant displays of cb's.
    No thunder though as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Looks like there is something building North of me,wind blowing in a northerly direction also,Fingers crossed.

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/latest_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Banner_girl

Durin the week we experienced a severe thunderstorm that lasted just over an hour. I in all my life have never seen anything like it. We had pretty dull weather all day but at 5 to 5 in the evening there was a flash of lightening followed by a loud roll of thunder, things soon became really really bad. Lightening could be heard as a loud crack..so loud we had to cover our ears. I have little sister who was petrified as was all my family. We cut the power to the house. I was upstairs closing my bedroom window, dad and sister in tow when we just happened to look out the window next thing I know im clinging to dad and hes clinging to me...theres a field behind our house and a "ball" of lightening which u could probably easily mistake for a meteor hit the field. We couldnt move-we had both seen this. My mother was the only person downstairs at the time and we heard her scream, we rushed downstairs and she was rubbing her right hand-said she got a shock. We sat in the living room waiting for it to pass. When it had our neighbour came in to see if we were ok and guess what-she too had been downstairs in her house when we saw the lightening and said she got a shock and that her right hand was numb! Anyway the lightening did an awful lot of damage in the town and in our estate. The house 8 doors away had its chimney blown off, the surrounding houses had all the sockets split in half, phones were blown off walls, cabinets scorched and plasmas were split. The lightening also tore up one road leading into house leaving loads of potholes where it hit, tarmac curled when hit in another part of town, most businesses roofs were damaged and rain poured through one roof collapsed. Houses were flooded as well as cars and the sewerage covers were lifted. When the council began to fix these covers they were greeted with hundreds of rats that had drowned.......wot in the name of god is going on! And can anyone explain these balls of lightening?

Durin the week we experienced a severe thunderstorm that lasted just over an hour. I in all my life have never seen anything like it. We had pretty dull weather all day but at 5 to 5 in the evening there was a flash of lightening followed by a loud roll of thunder, things soon became really really bad. Lightening could be heard as a loud crack..so loud we had to cover our ears. I have little sister who was petrified as was all my family. We cut the power to the house. I was upstairs closing my bedroom window, dad and sister in tow when we just happened to look out the window next thing I know im clinging to dad and hes clinging to me...theres a field behind our house and a "ball" of lightening which u could probably easily mistake for a meteor hit the field. We couldnt move-we had both seen this. My mother was the only person downstairs at the time and we heard her scream, we rushed downstairs and she was rubbing her right hand-said she got a shock. We sat in the living room waiting for it to pass. When it had our neighbour came in to see if we were ok and guess what-she too had been downstairs in her house when we saw the lightening and said she got a shock and that her right hand was numb! Anyway the lightening did an awful lot of damage in the town and in our estate. The house 8 doors away had its chimney blown off, the surrounding houses had all the sockets split in half, phones were blown off walls, cabinets scorched and plasmas were split. The lightening also tore up one road leading into house leaving loads of potholes where it hit, tarmac curled when hit in another part of town, most businesses roofs were damaged and rain poured through one roof collapsed. Houses were flooded as well as cars and the sewerage covers were lifted. When the council began to fix these covers they were greeted with hundreds of rats that had drowned.......wot in the name of god is going on! And can anyone explain these balls of lightening?

Wow, what's your location?

rc28 wrote:
    Wow, what's your location?
    Im in clare...weather the last few days has been terrible you'd think it was december not june just outside snapping pics sky looks thundery and like its on fire. Must admit I dont know that much about weather but were all a little weary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Here try these links.Have never encounter such a phenomenon but usually occurs in the strongest of storms.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s520317.htm

or add your report to here

http://amasci.com/weird/unusual/bl.html

Well a shower free day here today with the LP on my doorstep and feeding showers down south westwards all day.No convection over the sea as there is no heat in the sun to heat the water as yet(too much cloud cover) so convection built over the land and mountains and gave widespread showers over the bottom third of the country.Recorded a good few strikes over Cork earlier.A chance later of rain to hit the east from the UK but should be no sferics within it.

Dats amazing. But the one that i saw was no 30cm this was huge and like that once it hit the ground it was like an explosion. Easily 2-3metres. Why are we experiencing so many thunderstorms? Global warming messing us up?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

ive just being looking at the forecast and weather warnings for our neighbours across the water. Britan look set to get a severe drenching tonight and tomorrow , with the probability of downpours and the odd thunderstorm thrown in. is there a chance this will move further east and affect the eastern side of ireland or will it go as predicted and slide back before reaching us??????

phones were blown off walls, cabinets scorched

That happened to my area last year in may. I was out for the day and there were some pretty bad t-storms around bringing flooding to some areas. My brother was at home though and he was there for the the storm that came directly over the area, he said it was the worst t-storm he had ever experienced in his life. The lightning had hit the eircom telephone poles and the surge had entered every home around exploding each socket and phone filter. Luckily the pc had been unplugged. The area had only just gotten broadband the week before (in the countryside) so we were without phone and internet for a week afterwards as eircom had to replace loads of equipment and the technician said it was the worst damage he had ever come across (everything inside those eircom boxes you see on some telepone poles was melted/charred). The fact that many of the phone sockets in our house are beside curtains was particularly worrying as a fire could have started at any time.

Its mad...like that now some are still without phones, we were lucky, out of the 16 houses in our row we were the only ones without damage because when it started getting bad I made sure dad hit the trip switch. A friend a few doors away was sitting in his kitchen, the phone was on the wall in the hallway and it actually came flying into the kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Did the ball lightning create any kind of crater in the field? Or leave any scorch marks? Pics would be nice.

A close up investigation is a problem-I'd imagine I'd have a shotgun pointing at me in less then 5 secs but in a very green field there is this one mark roughly in the spot that it hit. Dont remember it being there before-could be nothing though. Have a pic but dont know how to upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm suprised that incident that happened in Clare wasn't on the news. Lightning as severe as that is probably very rare in this country. If it's possible, you could take some pictures, for the sake of remembering the experience. And you could post them here too:p

It seemed to hit just us...couple of miles away friend was on golf course and said that they saw nothing in fact just intense sun...ennis heard a few rumbles and got the rain but that was it, Im further west.
    Heres pic hope it works...

• Advertisement

The threat of heavy showers or storms over the weekend again particulary sunday.A slack are of low presure will park itself over the country on Sunday and(depending on sunshine)showers will breakout almost countrywide early.

The dreaded humidity will be on the increase too.Cape almost favourable.Lift has gone negative indicating there is sufficient convection there to get the marbles rollin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just seen that LP on skynews, one thing I noticed was the temp fluctuations between north and south of the country with the east in the low 20's. Does this indicate humidity for the east?

Does this indicate humidity for the east?
    In this setup yes as the air is from a more southerly,moist environment.
    20c and low humidity will feel comfortable in and out of the sun.
    20c and high humidity is basically more moisture thats heated in the air and is denser.Its why we say its heavy clamy or sticky type weather and so uncomfortable,or if in winter, high humidity and cold temps will make it feel much colder.
    So high humidity and higher dewpoints are a couple of ingredients for Ts in summer.

Cape for sunday is 700j/kg and LI is -4 for the east and a bit higher just inland west.So far this is the most favourable conditions ive seen yet for storms.Slow moving heavy showers or storms in slack conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yurp tasty!

But what happened to last nights rain! The forecasting models got that totally wrong! GFS was going for 60mm of rain in the east when in reality was there 10mm?

Rtavn3011.png

5.8mm myself in light rain WC i got.Nothing too heavy.

Expect the heavy showers to hit this side of the country late afternnon and early evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looking at wind direction there is a convergence zone tomorrow roughly from Dublin right across the middle of the country. However on the downside we would want westerly winds and it looks like a toss of a coin as to whether the wind will be southerly/southwesterly/westerly......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yurp tasty!

But what happened to last nights rain! The forecasting models got that totally wrong! GFS was going for 60mm of rain in the east when in reality was there 10mm?

We had pretty heavy rain lastnight at approx 1.30am, it was still raining when I was going to bed at 4am, dont know the exact amount that fell, it was more than 10mm anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thunderstorms seem possible overnight. Id say central and Eastern parts may hear the odd rumble.....;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement