Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/eur_sfuk.gif

Thats north of here.

Nothing yet but it's lashing rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Tristrame wrote:
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/eur_sfuk.gif

Thats north of here.

Nothing yet but it's lashing rain
    Pure darkness out West now. I have to go to Dun Laoagaire now though. I will report back later....f there is anything to report

yes whatever this is,it's pushing inland a bit as it goes south.
    Theres a little bit of blue to my east so I can make out huge cb towers, they are very tropical.
    I heard some low booming to the west of here but it was very distant.

It's flat calm here and raining away so this is probably going to stick around-I'd be surprised if I don't see some lightning and louder thunder soon.
    In fact I'm already surprised-the sky is text book!

casement is reporting heavy thunder at 1pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Meanwhile where I am the rain stopped half an hour ago and since there has been pleasant sunshine, now 18.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

clap of thunder here in clondalkin 25/30 minutes ago. Getting very dark again and rain starting to fall heavily.

btw i remember that storm from 85 pretty well. It was on the night of thursday 25th/ friday 26th. I haven't seen anything as bad as that in ireland since. That thursday was also one of the most humid days i can remember.

This link mentions it

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1985_weather.htm

loud bang of thunder here just now ironically as the rain has eased off.
    The thunder is to the west and south west of me inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Storm approaching here from the north, might just slip west, big CB's towering up everywhere west, south and north of my location..

Welcome Smokie72 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Absolutly lashing down now out in Saggart. Lost power for about 10 minutes too. Have just heard the odd rumble off in the distance.

Edit: I've haven't seen rain that heavy in a long time. Here's some pics.

http://xen.darxr.net/DSCF1588.JPG
    http://xen.darxr.net/DSCF1589.JPG
    http://xen.darxr.net/DSCF1590.JPG

• Advertisement

Extremely dark sky to my west, clashing with the blue sky overhead. 19.7c

Btw, is snowbie's lightning detector up and running again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Textbook anvil say just east of Dundalk moving southwards also i think a seabreeze convergence has taken hold here in Dublin anyway.Clear blue above me with a lot of towering cumulus and CB inland over the airport moving south.Another convergence line has spawned up over louth and monaghan.One to watch.

rc28 wrote:
    Extremely dark sky to my west, clashing with the blue sky overhead. 19.7c

Btw, is snowbie's lightning detector up and running again?
    Nope rc.Am calibrating atm and nearly finished with it.Need a good bit of cable to locate it in the attic.Ill rig it up temporary later on when i get home from work around 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Thunder to my west. Heavy showers here earlier.

Looks like its gonna start again....

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

My god....that is some tower gone up to my westnorthwest!!! that just appeared in the last half hour or so

Casement reporting another thunderstorm at 2pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Seen a massif bolt out towards the west then all the traffic lights went out! and the building im in, in sandyford is running on a UPS. WOW!!

excelent

Nothing here but for a change the activity is spreading south from the north.
    It's flat calm here with a very thundery cloudy sky and a few drops of rain.

Despite it being calm, the cloud is visibly moving southwards from the north.

Heard a distant rumble of thunder, raining very heavily here....again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Following some very heavy showers here in James Street over the last couple of hours it's now raining again, this time with a few rumbles of thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

No thunder activity to report yet here in Carlow town, although the sky is looking mighty thunder, and getting even more so, had a few light showers, but nothing much else.

Took a few pics of the sky around me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Boards is back :rolleyes: ....anyway, nothing came of my clouds....but rain :(

I heard thunder a few minutes ago here in South Dublin.

Everything a mile or so west of here.Im on the coast and have a great view of CBs inland,north and south.Heard or saw nada.Looks as if it is clearing to my north.

Where my station is a mile from here inland not reporting any rain either,while just up the road again at the airport a lot of rain has fallen.
    All activity is over west and south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lots of rumbles heard from towards the Airport, but the force field is holding strong here.

Strong looking storm moving over the Airport now though, very dark clouds.

Casement still reporting thunderstorm at 3pm http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Actually just noticed that the power went off here for a minute - all the alarm clocks are blinking. Happened around 2 hours ago it seems.

Its like day has turned to night now,very dark outside with a side of a shower hitting here,not heavy but massive drops.

Brightening up from the north west now-I can see blue patches. It had been raining heavily/moderately here since 2:30pm.

• Advertisement

booming thunder here again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement