Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

BTW the sky here is taking on that ominous look;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The big stuff looks like its starting to creep in from the west. Malin head reporting thunder at 7pm. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Does anyone know if this site would be accurate for Ireland?
    http://users.edpnet.be/DanielV37/Detecteur3/

rc28 wrote:
    Does anyone know if this site would be accurate for Ireland?
    http://users.edpnet.be/DanielV37/Detecteur3/

Thats teh dogs:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

:eek: Thunderstorm here:D :D And I swear to god the heaviest rain ive seen in years - river going down my road atm:D :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    :eek: Thunderstorm here:D :D And I swear to god the heaviest rain ive seen in years - river going down my road atm:D :D
    Looked at that from the side and sure was very black,heard a good few rumbles ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Mad storm in miami platja near salou last night . 2 hours non stop thunder and lightning and deluges of rain. A warm 33 degrees no clouds today in Spain. What a contrast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

lotsa heavy rain and thunder in drogheda between 2-4pm. quietened off now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The thunder is blasting away here now, and its lashing.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

4-5 claps from shower that passed a couple miles to my north just before 4.30pm (bst)
    Certainly some fantastic convection going on. I rarely see it so well.

got to be more thunder for sure :D

• Advertisement

Had the pleasure(and Luck)to see a cloud to ground strike close by.Had to be within 500meters or so away from me,followed by an unmerciful boom.Tis the only one i heard.
    Torrential downpour here and flooding at work.

Edit:have to laugh,half mile away at my house its only drizzling.

There was a torrential downpour about 4.30 today with some black skies about but there wasn't any thunder or flashes. Anything significant seems to be boomeranging around dublin as usuall. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We had thunder and lightning here!

My tennis was interrupted by 2 torrential downpours one in particular it was like the heavens literally opened.

Madness these days ain't it!

I want SUMMER although this is proper weather ;)

Ball of Lightning? Great single cell severe TS though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vBW_eW238&mode=related&search=

and the slowed down version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRtbB8juTc&mode=related&search=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Snowbie wrote:

Wow, thats some vid! And some cell!! Bloody hell, I dont mind the odd TS, but if I seen something like that coming I'd be running the opposite direction :eek: , that thing is non stop flashing!! Was there any rumbles from it?

Wow:eek: :eek: The t-storm in the distance is amazing, so much lightning!
    I've never seen ball lightning before this, I didn't know it could travel miles away outside a t-storm, sit stationery and then travel further, amazing!

Wow, thats some vid! And some cell!! Bloody hell, I dont mind the odd TS, but if I seen something like that coming I'd be running the opposite direction :eek: , that thing is non stop flashing!! Was there any rumbles from it?
    Id be running towards it tbh:D
    Seen one,(well lightning not as incessant) over the midlands when i a wee lad.Good structure to the storm viewing here from Dublin at the time.It was early evening and too far away to hear any thunder but could clearly see flashes throughout clouds and a well defined storm with anvil.

Sferics coming from the clump of showers moving across from the west,hard to tell where its heading atm,but a direct hit on Dublin looks likely for now.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Snowbie wrote:
    Sferics coming from the clump of showers moving across from the west,hard to tell where its heading atm,but a direct hit on Dublin looks likely for now.

Yes it's a peculiar one isn't it?

Going to get quite windy too already gusts near 60mph at Shannon Airport.

These will transfer east and this little storm might make things even more interesting, a nasty night ahead across the country methinks ;)

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en&map=EuropeNW

There's thunder in this bad boy..

Let it come this way!

• Advertisement

Have got nothing since,complete zip from it but it looks as if its holding its intensity.

It's completely cloudy here, but the sky is much darker to my north west and it's been raining lightly here for a while now, was heavier earlier though.

EDIT: Lashing down for about a minute and then back to drizzle, odd.

Gotten quite windy in last 15mins too.

Pitch black to my west now,still no lightning and i doubt any will come from it.

Edit:starting to lash now but the main clump is at to arcing NEwards just as it hit Dublin.

The heaviest is definitely passing to the nw of me (very dark sky there) and I can see the end of the shower in the western horizon where it's brightening up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Snowbie wrote:

This is just about to land on top of me, came out of PC world to get in the car and could see this black wall to my west. Just started raining....hope it's got enough juice to fire off a few bolts...

:D Just aswell there was no lightning in this or id be:mad:

If my station was a mile up the road id be an inch of rain more than what i have now over the last week.Seriously everything brushing to my north all week by a matter of meters.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A bit late reporting this but a couple of days ago i got an almighty fright- because there was a very loud crack of thunder and fork lightning struck within yards of my back door - which was opened at the time(i was looking at the rain). It was unexpected as there had only been one belt of thunder at the start which was followed by extremely heavy rain for the next 20 minutes- then bam!

Today Sunday looks good for heavy showers plus a few Ts.
    Already there is showers moving into the west with an occluded front and the lift ahead of this combined with moderate CAPE has the potential to ignite a few sparks.Showers will be going from early on.
    Possible late evening storm for anywhere in the eastern seaboard.

Risk % across us for 1500

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Pissing it down in dundalk the last 30 minutes...I can defo see us having some fireworks today, can see a lot of cbs starting to bubble out to the west. Flow seems to be coming from a more WSW direction than it was the last few days (NW) ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement