Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Massive CB out my front window although clouds dont look tooo dark.

Thunder still rumbling over S Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The floods were just on the news, only saw the last minute of it though, Rathfarnham was worst affected.

rc28 wrote:
    The floods were just on the news, only saw the last minute of it though, Rathfarnham was worst affected.

Yep, the brother just called apparently Taylor's Lane is flooded somewhat. I was cycling home at around half 2 and there floods on Whitechurch Road by the Tuning Fork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Thought that everyone must have had loads of thunder and lightning when i left Dun Laoghaire. I had lots of thunder when leaving Bray. Thunder audiable over the movie in the cinema in Dun Laoghaire! Then thunder out to sea while waiting to get the DART home in Dun Laoghaire and now more thunder to my North-East atm. Still yet to see one flash though:rolleyes:

HP supercell over Hugary/Czech republic. Don't think i've seen a level 3 before
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007062306_200706221531_3_forecastupdate.xml

trogdor wrote:
    HP supercell over Hugary/Czech republic. Don't think i've seen a level 3 before
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007062306_200706221531_3_forecastupdate.xml

It's bringing some very severe weather to austria- it's made the news already:
    http://euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=428911&lng=1

We got hailstones now.

A few thrown in with the torrential rain.

Still seen no lightning today!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowbie, is there a problem with your rain gauge?, its only showing a max rain rate around 1mm/hr?, I would have thought you would have been in a prime location to record some high rates today?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Still seen no lightning today!

There was a few flashes around Dublin airport around 6ish. Nothing in comparison to the amount of thunder though.

Never seen bigger rain drops than i have just seen ever in my live!

Massive! Abolsutely Hughe like golf ball drops of rain!!

Amazing!

Longfield wrote:
    Snowbie, is there a problem with your rain gauge?, its only showing a max rain rate around 1mm/hr?, I would have thought you would have been in a prime location to record some high rates today?
    Only 3.8mm fell today,with everything side swiping me both west and to my south.Max rain rate was 24.1mm/hr (on my main display) when i caught the side of a storm but only lasted a short while.Up the road in Santry was washed out earlier,same to the airport.I cant say it was localised but just missed me completly yet again.

If you loop the radar,look for howth(im a little bit inland) and see all the echoes moving just west of here with one or two just catching here.Bloody typical.Saw a lot of lightning though in the evening.

Edit:I can see where you saw 1mm/hr,that is the max rain per hour for last 6 hours.Yep thats right,poor aint it.Missed all the action,back out with the hose for the garden:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nothing in Drogheda today barring a few brief but heavy showers between 2 and 3 pm. No thunder. No other details as I was sitting an exam at the time. The radar looks fairly harmless for the time in question, I was astonished when I read over this thread. Looks like a lot was going on.

Snowbie, except for August 31st 2005, nearly every storm I've witnessed was without rain! Funny that the complete opposite is normally the case. This year was different as it was all during or around the time of rain but June 2006 had a couple of dry storms here.

Mabye they passed nearby so I missed the rain??:confused:

Sometimes its deceiving looking at a CB right next to you.Clearly you can see the outline of the cloud but the base can be more than 10 miles away where all the rain is falling but yet you can hear or see the lightning depending on open countryside etc.Thats what i witnessed today when i took those snaps earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Its been nothing but rain here on and off for the last week. The disadvantages of being on high ground!!

A

arctictree wrote:
    Its been nothing but rain here on and off for the last week. The disadvantages of being on high ground!!

A

Sun was out here this evening when I got home, had been pissing rain all afternoon in work though.
    Roads were barely wet here, what are the water levels looking like now in the reservoirs?, after April there must have been some recovering to do.

The snow in winter at high ground is a plus that negates all other disadvantages in my book though ;)
    Is a damn site foggier though here have to say.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Wow the UK looks as if it will get a pasting from tomorrow onwards:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html
    I'd say there will be flooding over there. Even here after todays rain the fields are waterlogged.
    But for us meteireann seem to be hinting at just benign showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, the fog has been horrible here at times too, but frequently the fog was covering the ground 20 metres higher than us and upwards. I'd hate to have been further up the road in the last week.

In general, fog affects here a good bit but it's much worse again at the very top of the hills, 30 metres higher up.

On sunday a repeat performance on Fridays showers/storms? with the low actually retrogressing back to us.More of a clear airstream this time round with individual cells popping up.Uncertain if they will become electric.Surface temp might get to the bare minimum for land convection at 17 or 18c but it will be still an unstable airmass so the temp will not be of great significance but helps.
    Dewpoints will be important this time round.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    On sunday a repeat performance on Fridays showers/storms? with the low actually retrogressing back to us.More of a clear airstream this time round with individual cells popping up.Uncertain if they will become electric.Surface temp might get to the bare minimum for land convection at 17 or 18c but it will be still an unstable airmass so the temp will not be of great significance but helps.
    Dewpoints will be important this time round.
    Looking foward to it;) , clearer airstream sounds good, might be able to get a few good shots.

trogdor wrote:
    Looking foward to it;) , clearer airstream sounds good, might be able to get a few good shots.
    Forgot to add,clearer but cooler airstream helping to cool cloud tops which could lead to scatterd TS with more intensity than Fridays but not as widespread.

Another bolt outa the blue kills a bloke in Florida.Clear skies above him and the storm was miles away.

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/147572.html

Anyone else looking at the radar and shaking their head?

Its night and the echos are just getting bigger and bigger, Sunday is going to be interesting.

Anyone care to shed some light on whats happening? (i've very poor knowledge of storm formation dynamics)

Longfield wrote:
    Anyone else looking at the radar and shaking their head?

Its night and the echos are just getting bigger and bigger, Sunday is going to be interesting.

Anyone care to shed some light on whats happening? (i've very poor knowledge of storm formation dynamics)
    tbh, i havn't looked at the charts , just read Snowbie's posts but with my very untrained eye, i can't see much threat tomorrow on tonights charts, but then again as i said it's a very untrained eye:p

One of two things can happen,
    Going to be showery and or continuos rain from the east later in the day.

Firstly that very unstable airstream over us on friday will come back into play again for Sunday.ie:the LP that has drifted east from us on friday is over the north sea and is retrogressing back west and therfore destablise the air further here.
    Now the tricky part is the air is less humid than friday and dewpoints be lower indicating just heavy showers without the storms.But minimal land convection be accompanied by steep lapse rates might get a storm,but i doubt it be on the scale of Friday.Just widespread showers.

Also as cooler air is drawn into the circulation,this can form the ice at higher alts in the cloud tops as the air is from a northern source now is a vital ingredient in lightning.
    So land convection minimal 17/18c not good for TS
    Steep lapse rates with minmal land convection,possible storm but low threat
    Cooler air lapse rates and land convection but dependant on DP,moderate threat of storms.

Now with a frontal threat of continuos rain from the east closer to the circulation will kill off shower activity later in the day but still with a threat of embedded storm within this just like last tuesday evening.

Now without looking at any charts today as sometimes its hard to pinpoint the exact outcome of distribution of rain in this case,now untill mid afternoon expect showers with a threat of continuos rain later in the day from the east.
    I wouldnt bet on widespread storms though but wouldnt rule out a rouge forming.
    Christ id hate to be a forecaster:D

Thanks for that Snowbie, some towering cumulus around already which is good to see, i wasn't able to see much of the structure on Friday
    Snowbie wrote:
    Christ id hate to be a forecaster:D
    Lol.

That overnight rain Trogdor has left gloom over me here and rain is not too far away off the coast.Its too close for cloud to break atm.I can just see grey.

Showers already going since last night over the west and SW.

Saw lots of towering cumulous here this morning aswell.
    Constant spits of rain too for the last hour from a shower to my north.

• Advertisement

Seems like the centre of the LP is between Dublin and N wales.The clump of rain that crossed the East last night is pivoting around and heading back into the east from N Dublin to Louth.All shower activity is confined to the bottom third of the country with no sferics as yet.

From here i can see the bank of cloud to my north and cumulus cloud to my south and im in a sunny slot atm.Depending on where the LP moves(more north) will swing the showers into the dublin area from the SW but if it moves south looks like a wet afternoon thats being experience in louth and meath will be here in dublin.

Again looks like large cumulus producing showers over the rest of the country with no organisation in them yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement