Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wertz wrote:
    Pissing it down in dundalk the last 30 minutes...I can defo see us having some fireworks today, can see a lot of cbs starting to bubble out to the west. Flow seems to be coming from a more WSW direction than it was the last few days (NW) ...

Shows up nicely for you here Wertz.No sferics as yet though.

A sea breeze has developed here and will add to a wind convergence and aid convection.
    Temp dropped to 16.7c from 18c in a few mins.
    Dewpoint is at 10.5c,not good,has to come up to at least 14c but could be due to the sea breeze.It would be helpful if there where an inland station around west Dublin to compare with though.
    Humidity 69% and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Showers really getting going round the country now. Weather looking nasty in Mullingar right now according to met Eireann:

MULLINGAR(P) W 03 VIOLENT SHOWER 12 90 6.2 1015:eek:

highdef wrote:
    Showers really getting going round the country now. Weather looking nasty in Mullingar right now according to met Eireann:

MULLINGAR(P) W 03 VIOLENT SHOWER 12 90 6.2 1015:eek:
    First time i saw violent shower on the site.:eek:
    The rain rate must have been very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Nice light show going on on the southside of cork city right now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just after having a loud rumble of thunder to my SW here in Carlow town, seems to be heading this way too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Showers look like merging further north. Could be some intense downpours later.

Also some nice topping out of CB's starting to occur.

Another big flash and loud rumble, seems to be just by me now *camera in hand :p *

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Warm sunshine here but some very interesting looking clouds around, might take a few pics. Earlier some very big drops fell from a seemingly benign sky.

Heavy downpour here, lasted about 2mins and only light rain falling now. The cloud itself wasn't very threatning looking so the downpour came as a surprise. No thunder yet.

• Advertisement

Nothing much came of the approaching TS here :(, a few rumbles, couple of flashes, a heavy shower also. It seemed to pass to the south of me. Still pretty gloomy looking and a messed up sky to my north, but its passed for now.

Thats a really big cell now in the southeast of the country. Its not moving towards us but will it develope towards us?

Just after being on the phone to an aunt of mine who lives about 10 mins drive away in Milford. She's normally pretty accurate in her weather descriptions and has a good sense of the weather, she says there was both fork and sheet lightening in her area just before I had those couple of rumbles. She also seemed convinced there was more heading her way and mine :) ....just have to wait and see I guess. The sky does look pretty churned up to the SW now.

Some really massive drops falling now, the noise of them hitting the velux' is pretty cool. Sky nearly 100%cloudy now, intermittent heavy rain with those huge drops.

2 Very loud rumbles of thunder here:D
    Still raining on and off but some much darker clouds around.

EDIT: Total of ten seperate rumbles so far, this seems to have suddenly gotten electrical, the heavier rain over me a few minutes ago has moved east and it is this shower where the thunder is coming from, very dark sky to my east, possibly heading to dublin?
    Thunder more frequent now.

More storms coming into the SW. Interesting evening ahead?

Absolutely no thunder since my last post. Odd, 10/11 rumbles out of the blue and then silence once again.

Vicious sky to my WNW moving towards N Dublin area.Have heard one rumble half hour ago.

BTW my worse fears has come true,my antanna has packed in off my lightning detector.Has been on the blink for awhile now.3 Years i got out of it.Unfortunately its not something i can go and buy in a hardware store.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Here's a nice shot of some mammatus taken at the Square in Tallaght about an hour ago. Snowbie, what's going on in your area or possibly to the north. There is a major looking CB over your way.
    DSC00016-1.jpg

I see you already answered my question Snowbie!!! That CB near you has just gone out of my view here in Inchicore so nor sure what it's doing anymore. Oh, and sorry to hear about your aerial too. Looks like you're detector may be down for a while. And I know you've put a lot of effort to provide, not just yourself but also anyone else, an actual Ireland based accurate lightning detector

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Woah nice cap, not something you witness every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wicklow (Rathdrum) is hearing the thunder right now... Some really nice ones but would love more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Reporting this for Tristrame as he has no internets at the moment!

Severe thunderstorms in Arklow. 5 strikes a minute at least. Big forks and a very loud constant noise.

Updated:

Storm still going as bad as Miami! Fork just came down in the field beside the house. The windows shaking like mad

Nice clouds earlier in the afternoon:
    1.JPG
    This is looking to the east and to the cloud where the thunder was originating:
    2.JPG
    3.JPG

Sun is shining again now, lots of deep blue patches in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Was a bit late getting out of bed today, but was greeted with this sight out my window looking north!

I'm guessing that's possibly what produced the storm rc28 was talking about earlier.

--
    nem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nice pic highdef...saw similar formation on the way down from drogheda to dundalk just now....huge hailstorm in drogheda when I was there, roads flooded. The real action seems to be north of the border from what I could see and the radar concurs. Bring on the electrics!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Another update from Tristrame:

Mothman is getting a rain rate of 143mm/nr and ligthing galore too in Ashford 15 miles north of Tristrame.

nemonoid wrote:
    Was a bit late getting out of bed today, but was greeted with this sight out my window looking north!

I'm guessing that's possibly what produced the storm rc28 was talking about earlier.

--
    nem
    What's your location? If that's facing towards south east meath then it probably is it.

Snowbie, sorry to hear about your lightning detector. Are other sites reliable, this one shows plenty of strikes over ireland but where does it get it's data from?:
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.html

highdef wrote:
    I see you already answered my question Snowbie!!! That CB near you has just gone out of my view here in Inchicore so nor sure what it's doing anymore. Oh, and sorry to hear about your aerial too. Looks like you're detector may be down for a while. And I know you've put a lot of effort to provide, not just yourself but also anyone else, an actual Ireland based accurate lightning detector
    Thanks hd.Bummer alright,been on the way out since last sunday,i thought it was my software but in the back of my mind i knew it was me antanna that was bunched.Anyway just re-ordered a new one:D but this time i bought the pci stormtracker,this one you can detect the different stroke types;) unlike the ld-250 which cant decipher strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

rc28 wrote:
    What's your location? If that's facing towards south east meath then it probably is it.

I'm out in Saggart and it would have been facing pretty much towards the Dunshauglin/Navan direction but not sure how far away it was!

--
    nem

• Advertisement

Yeah rc,its not real time but its accurate.Data is collected form the european WASP network and strikestar UK.I use to upload my data for them but for obvious reasons........sniff sniff.lol

Bugger all to report here only brilliant cloud formations to my north and to my south.Summer time above my head and warm in the sun.
    0.5mm has fallen here today so far with a collosal rain rate of 3.6mm/hr.
    I must live in the dryest part of Ireland.Near desertification going on here.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement