Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sign of good weather?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I wouldn't blame ya. It's definetely not pretty.

Wednesday's LP has been downgraded on the 06Z chart, but still there's lots of rain about, and a shockingly low maximum temperature. 10 degrees is the highest temperature on that run for some parts.
    Sure is alot of rain, this link will update to the 12z soon but the 06z gave Dublin airport, 166.8mm out to T+180:eek:
    http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=EIDW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Christ, I didn't think the total would be that high. If this evening's radar is to believed, some of that will fall tonight!

Now now Longfield, let us not consider throwing in the towel before winter's started!! 05/06 and last winter gave us some glimpses of hope for a severe winter post 91 (or 01 for me). Even something like 93 or 96 is still quite possible.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Christ, I didn't think the total would be that high. If this evening's radar is to believed, some of that will fall tonight!

Now now Longfield, let us not consider throwing in the towel before winter's started!! 05/06 and last winter gave us some glimpses of hope for a severe winter post 91 (or 01 for me). Even something like 93 or 96 is still quite possible.:)

Hehe, don't get me wrong, a rerun of last year will do me just fine - 8 days of snow falling and five days of snow lying >1cm @ 9am , no complaints here.
    Personally have to go back to '82 to remember something similar at sea leval then.
    I'm greedy though, I'd quite like a real old Siberian noreaster here like the '87 blast, I imagine it would be pretty amazing up here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Hehe, don't get me wrong, a rerun of last year will do me just fine - 8 days of snow falling and five days of snow lying >1cm @ 9am , no complaints here.
    Personally have to go back to '82 to remember something similar at sea leval then.
    I'm greedy though, I'd quite like a real old Siberian noreaster here like the '87 blast, I imagine it would be pretty amazing up here.
    It'd be pretty amazing anywhere;) , i think, not being around back then, i wouldn't know:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote:

00/01 was the best winter here I've experienced here (since I moved up in 1999). A week of snow at the end of December and another week of snow at the end of Feb/start of March. Noticed -6.5 one of the nights at the start of March with about a foot of snow lying outside. That was on my car thermo and just noticed it as I was coming in late - circa 2am. Wonder what the real low was that night?? Would be nice to get another winter like that or maybe an even better one!!

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sun 12th, a lot of rain everywhere, big chance of flooding

Right! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

Time to cross the fingers?

MS_-753_ens.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Looking promising from next Monday/Tuesday alright. Fingers crossed...

untitledrg1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

See the chart for thursday.Warm SE winds with a bay of biscay LP pushing up from the south.Interesting for storms if that where to come off.Looks like a nice few days before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

^I'm looking at the sun & he's looking at the storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just interpreting them charts and looking at a storm potential again after a few nice days of sun.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

It certainly looks like a real improvement is on the way however I woud caution against those who think Azores high = Sun and warmth. In such setups cloud can be a problem. Hopefully though we get a quick switch to a continental flow which could make it warm or even hot and spark some storms. I dont expect much sun or warmth whilst the high sits just to the south of us. ECM has the perfect setup

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM1-216.GIF?16-0

If we can get the 15+ 850 isotherm over us that gaurentess inland temps approaching 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I wouldn't mind that at all, have noticed since moving here that its considerably sunnier here in a dry westerly flow than in Dublin and its suburbs where I've lived most of my life and commute from daily.
    I'd say given the sodden ground 30°C is optimistic tbh even with 15+ 850's, that said high 20's are possible which would fantastic to have given the summer we've had so far.

The farmer beside me here cut one of his fields on Saturday and of course it rained on Sunday..and most days since..
    Had first proper dry day here today and he's gathered it up (not sure if thats the right word to use), can't help but feel that its probably still sodden, but thats the summer we've had so far and what other choice did he have. There are other fields around that were cut around th same time but the grass is still laid out in stripes, a dry warm spell would be great. How long can silage/hay? lay out on the grass drying before its ruined?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Ooooh, I'm moist with excitment. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing a change in models this morning. GFS was positively ebulliant about a warm dry spell from mid next week but it has changed its tune this morning. UKMETO has dropped the HP strength a bit too so the high isn't as high as it was and could let some fronts push in.

Heading up to the middle of nowhere for a week....Northern donegal. Forecast looks pretty miserable for the first few days at least. Overcast and drissely crap:(
    EDIT: yeh, the models don't seem as confident this morning, you can see the split on the ensemble above at around the 23rd. Won't know for sure until around tomorrow evening i'd say though, could still change back

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

trogdor wrote:
    Heading up to the middle of nowhere for a week....Northern donegal. Forecast looks pretty miserable for the first few days at least. Overcast and drissely crap:(

Ths sun always shines in Donegal. Even when it's wet and cold.:D

smashey wrote:
    Ths sun always shines in Donegal. Even when it's wet and cold.:D
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I said it would all "turn out nice again" in mid August a few weeks back. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Eh, there's some big yellow thing up in the sky emitting heat and light. I thought there'd be something in the news about it but I'm going to get my binoculars to check it out. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Eh, there's some big yellow thing up in the sky emitting heat and light. I thought there'd be something in the news about it but I'm going to get my binoculars to check it out. I'll let you know how I get on.
    :eek: :eek:
    Ye, I'm seeing the same thing here now, I have no idea what it is but it emits a kind of pleasant golden warmth:confused:

Advertisement