Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Misses failed her test today. She rebooked this afternoon and is on cancellation list. She rang up the NDLS to see was there any cancellations available asap but was told she has to wait 2 weeks until she can get a test. Is this true? I've read elsewhere that people failed and rang up on the same day and got a test within a few days of failing.

It's 3 weeks. I managed to get someone on the phone once who didn't have a problem booking me in for a cancellation 2 weeks after I failed a test, but that seems to be a once off because everyone else before and since has stubbornly stuck to this rule when I rang. They said they can only waive the 3 weeks if you can prove you need it urgently ie leaving the country or starting a new job you need the license for?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

It's 3 weeks. I managed to get someone on the phone once who didn't have a problem booking me in for a cancellation 2 weeks after I failed a test, but that seems to be a once off because everyone else before and since has stubbornly stuck to this rule when I rang. They said they can only waive the 3 weeks if you can prove you need it urgently ie leaving the country or starting a new job you need the license for?

Looks like she'll have to wait until the new year then. Anyone know what days the tests restart in the new year?

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Looks like she'll have to wait until the new year then. Anyone know what days the tests restart in the new year?
    2nd January.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭kellyi3

Failed test number 4 today but it again came down to that chestnut of ‘observation’. Today’s tester said I didn’t do it enough whereas the previous one said I took too long and this impeded progress. This was the same for the first two tests - taking too long and then not taking long enough. Anyone have any advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,359 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kellyi3 wrote: »
    Failed test number 4 today but it again came down to that chestnut of ‘observation’. Today’s tester said I didn’t do it enough whereas the previous one said I took too long and this impeded progress. This was the same for the first two tests - taking too long and then not taking long enough. Anyone have any advice on this?

Did you fail because you didnt do enough observations or that the observations you did do were too quick?

• Advertisement

Did you fail because you didnt do enough observations or that the observations you did do were too quick?

It was too quick today but the previous time was taking too long with them but it’s hard to judge your own interpretations of what’s too quick or too slow.

I did enough observations but too fast for the examiner’s liking. Yet as I said the previous examiner to today thought I was too slow.

This is something I’m finding difficult to correct as it’s not like coasting that can be fixed with practice because I know what not coasting is. I just don’t know what each individual examiners inherent idea of ‘observation’ is. They were happy with everything else so I don’t know what I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It was too quick today but the previous time was taking too long with them but it’s hard to judge your own interpretations of what’s too quick or too slow.

I did enough observations but too fast for the examiner’s liking. Yet as I said the previous examiner to today thought I was too slow.

This is something I’m finding difficult to correct as it’s not like coasting that can be fixed with practice because I know what not coasting is. I just don’t know what each individual examiners inherent idea of ‘observation’ is. They were happy with everything else so I don’t know what I can do

Maybe you're already across this, but perhaps focus on knowing precisely which checks need to be done at each point in the turn in the road etc.

Maybe you're already across this, but perhaps focus on knowing precisely which checks need to be done at each point in the turn in the road etc.

I’m across this as best as I can be (I think), never taken a turn that brought me close to a hazard for instance.

However, I’ll keep going over what checks I need to do but it’s bit a question of the checks as much as testers interpretation of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I’m across this as best as I can be (I think), never taken a turn that brought me close to a hazard for instance.

However, I’ll keep going over what checks I need to do but it’s bit a question of the checks as much as testers interpretation of them

It's a tough one - I was conscious of observation prior to my test - I just made sure mirror, signal, manoeuvre each time and checking mirrors at regular intervals too and blindspot checking etc - I was almost too conscious of it - Day before test I read somewhere if you have long hair (which I do) wear it in a ponytail - that way the tester will see your neck tilt, head move some even advocate hoop earrings :) may not be a good look for all? I wore my hair up - I don't know but I passed the test first time last week and got no points against me for observation -

Edit to add: having read your other thread I think I'm wrong here but it looks to be more "safely observing" you are talking about - if you received a grade 3 then that's a dangerous manovure - and could be linked to progression - for example pulling out in front of someone or hesitating and then stopping too far forward and blocking a junction - it may come under observation alright but not in the way I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gvgdhar

3k is a whopping amount. Did it include renting a car for practice as well? anyway, all the best for your next attempt, if you are going for one.
    I'm moving to Oz, from what I've read you can't sit the test there until you've passed the theory and done 120 hours supervised driving in different conditions, so I'd basically have to start over. :( I've spent I'd say nearly 3k here learning to drive I really want to have my license to show for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,607 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Passed today - 3rd attempt. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Passed today - 3rd attempt. Phew!

You're posting in the wrong thread but congratulations :D

gvgdhar wrote: »
    3k is a whopping amount. Did it include renting a car for practice as well? anyway, all the best for your next attempt, if you are going for one.
    I'm moving to Oz, from what I've read you can't sit the test there until you've passed the theory and done 120 hours supervised driving in different conditions, so I'd basically have to start over. :( I've spent I'd say nearly 3k here learning to drive I really want to have my license to show for it!!

Yeah I don't have access to my own car so all my practice and tests I have to pay for with an instructor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah I don't have access to my own car so all my practice and tests I have to pay for with an instructor.

I was the same, plus I had to factor in paying someone to fill in for me when I missed work for a test. It was easily 3 grand, if not more, but I got there in the end and you will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

It can be done. I got my full license without ever having my own car. I did the same as you just paying an instructor and while i paid a lot of money i never stopped and it was all worth it in the end. Keep at it and you'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Garzard

Failed my first test much to my devastation last Friday morning in Tallaght with 2 Grade 3's - in fairness they were deserved. The first occurred almost immediately after starting the test when I was told to turn right at the junction on Blessington Road (beside the Westcoast Ireland building) - there were two green arrows to go straight and left; I was halfway onto the pedestrian crossing and onto the road before I realized I had no right green arrow - I put it down mainly to a brain fart but also never having practiced this route.

Eitherway it was a stupid error and an instant fail. Knew this and it demoralized me for the rest of the test. I was given another Grade 3 later on for going through an amber light where the Airton Road meets the Belgard Road. I did this in good conscience having followed the advice of all my instructors but the tester later explained that I was unfortunately about a second too late going through. It's funny how you make mistakes in the test which you would otherwise never do :(

After struggling to get over the bad news I applied immediately for the Tallaght cancellation list - would anyone know how long average-wise I could be waiting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I failed twice before getting it on my third. Best of luck next time and make sure you pick up with an instructor before going for the next test.

To be honest, time wise, the cancellation list doesn't mean much, unless you are going to constantly call them each day for an open slot.

I put myself onto it, it was a few months before I got anything back. So when booking the third test, I just kept scrolling through the calendar to find an available time slot. It meant I could plan a couple of catch up sessions with my instructor prior to the test also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Garzard

I failed twice before getting it on my third. Best of luck next time and make sure you pick up with an instructor before going for the next test.

To be honest, time wise, the cancellation list doesn't mean much, unless you are going to constantly call them each day for an open slot.

I put myself onto it, it was a few months before I got anything back. So when booking the third test, I just kept scrolling through the calendar to find an available time slot. It meant I could plan a couple of catch up sessions with my instructor prior to the test also.

I wouldn't have minded failing, only for the infuriatingly long waiting list and I'm sure most people feel the same way. I applied at the start of September and only got the date for the 14th December. It was mid-November until I got the email. For yourself were you waiting about the same length of time for a cancellation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Garzard wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded failing, only for the infuriatingly long waiting list and I'm sure most people feel the same way. I applied at the start of September and only got the date for the 14th December. It was mid-November until I got the email. For yourself were you waiting about the same length of time for a cancellation?

To be honest, I never took both times I failed as something personal either. I respected that the person examining me was there to endorse me.

I think my wait was a bit longer. My first failure was Sept/oct 16, Applied for cancelation within a week, got a test in Feb 17. Then took some time aside as there were some external factors affecting me at the time. (not with driving in general, but with being quantified). Then after a while, I just logged onto the RSA site occassionally, to look for free slots, eventually got one for end of July 17.

It just felt a bit more assertive I guess, to be able to select when I was going to do the test. (I also needed someone else to bring me and lend me a car :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If it's any consolation, I managed to pass the test in all vehicle categories without having owned any of the vehicles prior to doing the test and have a full licence in all 15 categories.

You have a significant advantage in only driving with an instructor as you are very unlikely to develop bad habits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Failed in Churchtown back in September with 14 grade 2s but no grade 3s. Taking my test again in January in the new place in Dun Laoghaire hoping for better hopefully better luck this time. I wonder will they be a bit better as the test centre is only new.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Failed in Churchtown back in September with 14 grade 2s but no grade 3s. Taking my test again in January in the new place in Dun Laoghaire hoping for better hopefully better luck this time. I wonder will they be a bit better as the test centre is only new.

It's got nothing to do with the test centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seems a strange question... Testers are testers no matter what division.

Some aren't as strict as other of course.

You need to look at getting more lessons and do a pre test.

Seems a strange question... Testers are testers no matter what division.

Some aren't as strict as other of course.

You need to look at getting more lessons and do a pre test.

I have gotten a few more lessons since with an instructor I found to be excellent but not a pre test. I found the test a little vague and it doesn't really pinpoint where you actually went wrong .

When I did the test in Churchtown it was on short notice only found the day before when I rang up looking for a cancellation that they had one the next day so I couldn't get much preparation. The tester seemed a bit pissed off as I got the impression he didn't seem to know he was actually supposed to take a test at that time and was expecting to be on a break.

My instructor admitted that some are better than others as there are some who actually go in depth of where you went so you know what to work on.

My instructor admitted that some are better than others as there are some who actually go in depth of where you went so you know what to work on.

It's been commented on here before, it seems they aren't required to and more then likely are advised against it. Every test I've done, luckily enough I got some feedback regarding their observations, but that's probably because within the time they were assessing me, they felt I would be open to that discussion.

Finally passed in Raheny, 5th time!

I know this is technically the wrong thread to be posting about passing but seeing as I've been around here a while now I wanted to come by and say thanks to everyone who was so supportive to me!

7 grade 2s, felt like I drove worse than my last test and feared I failed again, but turns out I did just enough! Now have to head to the NDLS in the morning to make sure I have my license before I head to Oz in 2 weeks! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I know this is technically the wrong thread to be posting about passing but seeing as I've been around here a while now I wanted to come by and say thanks to everyone who was so supportive to me!

7 grade 2s, felt like I drove worse than my last test and feared I failed again, but turns out I did just enough! Now have to head to the NDLS in the morning to make sure I have my license before I head to Oz in 2 weeks! :O

Well done!

Fair play I have my second test tomorrow. I think I'll fail as I think I need more practice I wanted to cancel it but remembered you need to give 10 days notice in order to get your money back so I might aswell do it now but I'm honestly dreading it.

Fair play I have my second test tomorrow. I think I'll fail as I think I need more practice I wanted to cancel it but remembered you need to give 10 days notice in order to get your money back so I might aswell do it now but I'm honestly dreading it.

Best just to do it for the experience rather than cancel at this stage, you never know you might get lucky! And if not, hopefully you'll learn what areas you need to work on for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Well done, delighted to hear you passed, now you can relax :D

Advertisement