Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Failed by a single mistake which cost me 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 3... Accidently went too far past the line turning right at some traffic lights and the light turned red as the car in front of me turned. I hesitated about whether I should go or not but I didn't think I was blocking the junction where I was and I didn't want to break a red light. Turns out that was the wrong move and I should have gone, got a grade 3 for it. Devastated and so was my tester, only had 3 grade 2s otherwise.

Angry with myself beyond words, I normally am very careful not to go past the line if it's not clear, I just got a bit jumpy.

You got a grade 2 AND a grade 3 for a single mistake? I dont think you get marked multiple times for a single mistake. I could be wrong but take a look at the fault marking guide

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/Information%20Pack/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf
    With certain exceptions, driving faults are not ‘double-marked’, and where 2 (or more) faults
    suggest themselves, it is usually the fault which conveys the most pertinent information to the
    applicant which is recorded.

Sorry to hear you failed, Next time !! :)

Kenno90 wrote: »
    You got a grade 2 AND a grade 3 for a single mistake? I dont think you get marked multiple times for a single mistake. I could be wrong but take a look at the fault marking guide

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/Information%20Pack/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf

Sorry to hear you failed, Next time !! :)

Sorry, technically I got the grade 2 for moving up past the line and the grade 3 for not turning after the light changed. But in my head it was all one mistake.

This was my 4th go, feel sick as I have to pass before I move away in January and I was sure I would get it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ace120387

Failed by a single mistake which cost me 1 grade 2 and 1 grade 3... Accidently went too far past the line turning right at some traffic lights and the light turned red as the car in front of me turned. I hesitated about whether I should go or not but I didn't think I was blocking the junction where I was and I didn't want to break a red light. Turns out that was the wrong move and I should have gone, got a grade 3 for it. Devastated and so was my tester, only had 3 grade 2s otherwise.

Angry with myself beyond words, I normally am very careful not to go past the line if it's not clear, I just got a bit jumpy.

I did the same mistake but fortunately during practice test. But given that you have only 3 grade 2s it looks like you will pass next time.
    Good luck!

ace120387 wrote: »
    I did the same mistake but fortunately during practice test. But given that you have only 3 grade 2s it looks like you will pass next time.
    Good luck!

Yeah, each time I do it the number of faults is lower, so I am getting better I guess but I'm terrified next time I'll get just the one grade 3 and that'll be it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah, each time I do it the number of faults is lower, so I am getting better I guess but I'm terrified next time I'll get just the one grade 3 and that'll be it for me.

See can you get a cancellation before you move abroad. Sounds like you should be a pass for sure next time.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    See can you get a cancellation before you move abroad. Sounds like you should be a pass for sure next time.

Yeah my tester said as much, said I'm a good driver and she hated to fail me, and to try get another test asap.

Time to play the cancellation lottery again!

Yeah my tester said as much, said I'm a good driver and she hated to fail me, and to try get another test asap.

Time to play the cancellation lottery again!

I passed my test with 6 grade 2s. You are probably a better driver than me and many other motorists. Just try to avoid the silly mistakes that will get you a grade 3

I passed my test with 6 grade 2s. You are probably a better driver than me and many other motorists. Just try to avoid the silly mistakes that will get you a grade 3

Haha thanks! Honestly I was kicking myself, I knew I made an error at the time but I didn't realise it was as bad yas to deserve a grade 3. I'm usually so careful about not passing the line prematurely at junctions too that I didn't know what to do in that situation. I would definitely have gone if it were a box junction, guess I didn't realise they're all treated the same. I know now anyway!

Haha thanks! Honestly I was kicking myself, I knew I made an error at the time but I didn't realise it was as bad yas to deserve a grade 3. I'm usually so careful about not passing the line prematurely at junctions too that I didn't know what to do in that situation. I would definitely have gone if it were a box junction, guess I didn't realise they're all treated the same. I know now anyway!

Try get a cancellation and go again straight away and best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Each of the four times I've failed I've had one or two completely different grade 3s, a couple of them things that had never been an issue in my lessons. I've come to feel I'll always make one big unforeseeable mistake no matter how many times I do the test.

• Advertisement

Each of the four times I've failed I've had one or two completely different grade 3s, a couple of them things that had never been an issue in my lessons. I've come to feel I'll always make one big unforeseeable mistake no matter how many times I do the test.

I think it's important to hold your nerves. I made a big mistake during my test. I went too far from the kerb during reverse around the corner.
    But I asked the tester that can I move forward and correct. She said yes and I passed (I was given one two grade for competency in reversing though). It was a surprise because during whole of my test I was thinking that I failed due to the reverse mess up.

I think it's important to hold your nerves. I made a big mistake during my test. I went too far from the kerb during reverse around the corner.
    But I asked the tester that can I move forward and correct. She said yes and I passed (I was given one two grade for competency in reversing though). It was a surprise because during whole of my test I was thinking that I failed due to the reverse mess up.

That's good advice, my first test I failed in the first 5 mins because I was so nervous I completely screwed up my reverse and was rattled then the whole rest of the test, worst I ever drove in my life. However for my following 3 tests I was much better at staying in the present and not focusing on mistakes I'd already made, but each time I've failed on a mistake I didn't even realise I'd made, or that I thought would only have been a grade 2 rather than a 3.

My next test, when I eventually convince them to give me another cancellation, will probably be my last chance to pass because I'm moving abroad so I'm worried I'll be under even more pressure than usual.

That's good advice, my first test I failed in the first 5 mins because I was so nervous I completely screwed up my reverse and was rattled then the whole rest of the test, worst I ever drove in my life. However for my following 3 tests I was much better at staying in the present and not focusing on mistakes I'd already made, but each time I've failed on a mistake I didn't even realise I'd made, or that I thought would only have been a grade 2 rather than a 3.

My next test, when I eventually convince them to give me another cancellation, will probably be my last chance to pass because I'm moving abroad so I'm worried I'll be under even more pressure than usual.

I don't know your situation but maybe take the test in the country you are moving to? I have got US, Canadian and now Irish license.
    At least in Canada and US the test is easier than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

On two of my tests the tester intervened to correct/direct me. I kept going as best I could but realistically you know you've flunked it when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

On two of my tests the tester intervened to correct/direct me. I kept going as best I could but realistically you know you've flunked it when that happens.

Thats true, but you really shouldn't give up. I passed my test on Monday. But there was two scenarios where i thought i failed.

The first i went a little wide on the reverse around the corner. But in my head i'd rather be too wide than hit the curb.

The second was when i was turning out of a yield, I was in second gear but was going too slow (should have gone down to 1st) and the car did that horrible leap frog thing. All while i was turning onto a main road. I thought for sure i had failed.

Back in the test center, he told me i was over compensating observing when i should have had a quick glance and gone down the gears and turned. I was given a grade 2 for that.

The reverse around the corner was also a grade 2. But then he told me i passed and i couldn't believe it.

So you can mess up and still pass.

I don't know your situation but maybe take the test in the country you are moving to? I have got US, Canadian and now Irish license.
    At least in Canada and US the test is easier than here.

I'm moving to Oz, from what I've read you can't sit the test there until you've passed the theory and done 120 hours supervised driving in different conditions, so I'd basically have to start over. :( I've spent I'd say nearly 3k here learning to drive I really want to have my license to show for it!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've spent I'd say nearly 3k here learning to drive I really want to have my license to show for it!!
    I've spent about the same, so I feel your pain, money wise. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Failed by 2 marks a few weeks ago. I got a grade two FOR looking over my shoulder when changing lane into a bus lane just before turning. Said I should only of been using my mirrors?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Failed by 2 marks a few weeks ago. I got a grade two FOR looking over my shoulder when changing lane into a bus lane just before turning. Said I should only of been using my mirrors?

Harsh

Tester is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Any changes of lane you should do a blind spot check.

I would actually appeal that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

There are two different blind spot checks.

When moving, changing lanes or position on the road, a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start your manoeuvre.

Stopped, prior to moving off. Check over your shoulder.

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

When moving, changing lanes or position on the road, a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start your manoeuvre.

When is 'necessary' for the first one? I've seen lots of posts in this forums of people being marked on tests for checking or not checking their blind spot when changing lanes, what's the official line from the RSA?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When is 'necessary' for the first one? I've seen lots of posts in this forums of people being marked on tests for checking or not checking their blind spot when changing lanes, what's the official line from the RSA?

I believe the guy JR responded to may have been changing lanes to the left of him. Chin over your shoulder to the left and you've dramatically reduced visibility in front of you. Best practise is generally to do that while pulling off. But while driving (not parked) you should not put your chin over your shoulder. Turning your head to the left, your peripheral vision should be enough to know whether or not if something is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

You should always check your blindspot when changing lanes.

Perhaps took too long doing it or did it too late or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You should always check your blindspot when changing lanes.

Perhaps took too long doing it or did it too late or something

The other guy described looking behind himself. You should not do that while driving.

I believe the guy JR responded to may have been changing lanes to the left of him. Chin over your shoulder to the left and you've dramatically reduced visibility in front of you. Best practise is generally to do that while pulling off. But while driving (not parked) you should not put your chin over your shoulder. Turning your head to the left, your peripheral vision should be enough to know whether or not if something is there.

That makes sense, I've never felt the need to check over my shoulder when moving into a left lane, always thought turning my head to check my mirror was sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,607 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No way are u allowed look over your shoulder while car moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Do not know the official line but I always told my pupils to give a quick check even if they believed it wasn't really necessary. Reason being, the examiner might not give them credit for knowing a check was unnecessary. I gave the same advice for indicators, indicate even if no one would benefit. Would be a very nasty examiner that would mark them for either.

Above of course assuming that they gave the correct check or signal.

The quotes I posted came from the present UK Highway code where it covers all driving not just the test. I was on there looking for a drawing they had a few editions ago. ( I had downloaded it but have lost it). The drawing clearly showed the two different checks, the present drawings are not as clear.

Again there are two very distinct checks. One when the car is stationary and it would be safe to look back over your shoulder. The other when the car is moving and it would be dangerous to look back and where a quick sideways glance should be quite sufficient.

Posters on here would have been marked for either not looking or else for doing the wrong type check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Misses failed her test today. She rebooked this afternoon and is on cancellation list. She rang up the NDLS to see was there any cancellations available asap but was told she has to wait 2 weeks until she can get a test. Is this true? I've read elsewhere that people failed and rang up on the same day and got a test within a few days of failing.

Advertisement