Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I passed today in Ballymun SGS. It was my second attempt at the test but was a lot more confident today. Despite me making a total hames of the reverse around corner (i practiced that so much yesterday and was sure I had it nailed).

Anyway needless to say I am very very chuffed :D

Thanks everybody for all the advise you gave me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Good going man, great to get it out of the way. That corner reverse is a load of rubbish...nervousness about doing it whilst under scrutiny is the only reason you can mess it up. I mean I reverse out of my driveway every morning, between my gates, neighbours' cars and passing schoolkids, always obsevant, always making sure not to scratch my car or dent someone elses...as someone said in another thread, the test corner reverse is a situation you'll likley rarely find yourself in again, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Passed my test yesteday! So relieved! Got no marks at all...Tester was basically chatting all the way along and didn't even pick up his biro. I was only driving for about 20 minutes and he said to head back to the centre. Delighted!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tylrpower

Just passed In Raheny! over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

SMM wrote: »
    Passed my test yesteday! So relieved! Got no marks at all...Tester was basically chatting all the way along and didn't even pick up his biro. I was only driving for about 20 minutes and he said to head back to the centre. Delighted!!!

where did you do it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

In Doughcloyne in Cork. So relieved, I was expecting a complete asshole but he was great craic, in fairness. Was taking the p*** out of me for being from Kerry, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NZUK

My first time posting but I need to tell the world! I passed today on my fist attempt, in Deansgrange. 3 grade 2's and 2 grade 1's!!
    Massive thanks to Steven at Betterdrive who taught a very nervous driver in less than 2 months!

Wow that great NZUK :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I passed on Saturday! \o/

I did mine in Little Island, Cork, with SGS. My tester was the nicest woman ever! She just chatted away to me the whole time. I got 3 grade twos, two for pulling in without mirroring & signalling (it was a completely deserted road in the middle of an industrial estate, so I guess I relaxed too much) and one for not observing in the last part of my reverse.

If I'd done with the RSA, I could imagine them failing me for silly mistakes that SGS ignored.

Congrats Faith :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAA! :D

Just passed this morning (RSA test). Tester said that I had passed and told me he found "nothing significant." Final result was one Grade 2 fault for progress turning right, and one Grade 1 for position on the straight. Traffic was quite good.

I had a long run of misfortune and bad luck trying to get this before, including failed tests (after which I changed driving schools) a funeral of relative on the day, bad tyres etc and I so needed to get this because I was sick of the whole thing. Expecially after the scare in October with 2nd provisionals (which I had) I thought "Enough, time to finish this." So my news this morning was a very large boost for me personally.

I was having a little performance anxiety and was so relieved when I got the news that I started telling yer man all this stuff but he was very nice.

Adios, L Plates and hello, pink slip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Congratz. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Passed this morning in Birr (RSA test) on the second attempt. Only got 2 grade 1 faults against me so am delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Congrats man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Success!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gazzer wrote: »
    I passed today in Ballymun
    Passed my test yesteday!
    tylrpower wrote: »
    Just passed In Raheny!
    In Doughcloyne in Cork. So relieved
    NZUK wrote: »
    I passed today on my fist attempt, in Deansgrange
    Faith wrote: »
    I passed on Saturday!
    SeanW wrote: »
    Just passed this morning
    matrim wrote: »
    Passed this morning in Birr
    obl wrote:
    Success!
    Congratulations folks, well done and safe motoring. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Passed in Little Island. Examiner was very nice. Used a palm pilot which is a lot more discrete than marking a sheet of paper. Also noticed her looking at my eyes for observation which made me much more relaxed as I didn't need to do the exaggerated head movement which I hate doing and I find dangerous as it makes less observant out the front window which after all is still the most important observation view.
    Thought I did a grade 3 when I went out too far at a junction down a very quite part of the industrial estate. Didn't know if it was a yield right of way jn or a stop one as there was no signs or marks on the road.
    In the end I don't think I even got a grade 2 for it.
    Also went into first gear for no particular reason at the main Little Island/Eastgate roundabout even though it was clear.
    So I was 50:50 while waiting in the waiting area for my result but was quite pessimistic having been in that situation before and failed.
    Another moment that could have caused failure was the reversing around a turn. Things got quite hectic - I had to queue up as a learner was practicing in the spot I was supposed to do it, a big truck was trying to get into a narrow lane directly across from the reverse around the corner spot and lots of traffic was building up from every direction. In the middle of it, an old woman decides to walk across the road behind me as I was reversing which I luckily spotted in time as otherwise I'd have failed for sure.
    I had a great instructor who I'd highly recommend. He even does Sunday lessons which is great. One thing though - don't do the Mahon route on a Sunday as you'll spend half the lesson on the slip road queueing up.
    For any Cork people I'd recommend doing it in Little Island. Much easier than Doughcloyne. You'd probably have to give an address in that area though.
    It's like an albatross has been removed from around my neck, actually more like Big Bird removed from around my neck and snuffleupagus removed from my shoulders!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Passed in Little Island
    Congratulations! :)
    Thought I did a grade 3 when I went out too far at a junction down a very quite part of the industrial estate. Didn't know if it was a yield right of way jn or a stop one as there was no signs or marks on the road.
    In the end I don't think I even got a grade 2 for it
    If there was no signage or conflicting signage (e.g. STOP sign with YIELD on road or vice versa) you would have been given the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Just went for my test in Rathgar, had a lovely tester and passed! Had five grade two faults and was sure I'd failed. Extremely happy because it was my first test! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Passed in Little Island. Examiner was very nice. Used a palm pilot which is a lot more discrete than marking a sheet of paper. Also noticed her looking at my eyes for observation ...

I'd say we had the same tester - she's absolutely lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thelas

Passed today in Finglas, my second attempt, I am so happy! I think I am happier to have passed this than I was with my Leaving Cert and degree! :D First time I did it was in Ballymun, the tester had a Palm Pilot, was much easier for me then as I wasn't distracted by her writing stuff as she did today!

I didn't drive well at all today, I was tempted to do a Ross O'Carroll Kelly half way through by stopping the car and telling the instructor to get out!!! Made me calmer for the rest of it anyway thinking I had nothing to lose.

I am absolutely thrilled, and I wish everyone here the best of luck, I think if I can pass then so can anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Passed Last Friday in Galway City (Westside route).
    Second attempt and I drove like Stevie Wonder on drugs AND it started snowing like mad the second I sat in the car with the tester AND the tester was obviously a genetic experiment, mixing the DNA of a Nazi Gruppenfuher and a librarian...(I know they can't make smalltalk etc. but the could give some himt that they're not actually a robot)
    Still....happy days as I'm only driving 3 years.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Yay, I passed 1st time on Tuesday, so relieved that I don't have to go through all the lessons again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Passed in Wicklow town yesterday, 3rd time lucky. From the new test centre based in the Grand Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Passed in Wicklow town yesterday, 3rd time lucky. From the new test centre based in the Grand Hotel.

Congrats!! :-) How it gone ? Was the route same?

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

Passed in Little Island this morning - if you are doing your test there in the morning give yourself half an hour to get there the traffic was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

where did the tester take you from the little island test centre? im trying to suss out the routes so im not driving somewhere im unfamiliar with,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

I was taken round little island as the traffic was very busy - if you get a busy time for your test this is the usual route.

The other possible routes from little island are Carrigtwohill, Glanmire and Mayfield afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Passed!! Yes!! In Shannon by the airport although I got 6 grade 2s.
    Finally that challenge is out of the way. :D

Ps second time out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

brendor wrote: »
    I was taken round little island as the traffic was very busy - if you get a busy time for your test this is the usual route.

The other possible routes from little island are Carrigtwohill, Glanmire and Mayfield afaik

I was told the only other routes are Mayfield and Mahon.

Advertisement