Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Just passed today 2:55 onwards, surprised there wasn't more traffic around schools!

He brings me into the room after the test and says who's you instructor? Then he goes on to fleece me about going too fast over speed bumps and I thought I had failed! Then he says you got 8 grade 2s and ahhh sign of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Coala

I passed on second time yahoo :) . Test was supposed on 12th December, but they canceled, one of testers got in accident. So they put me over to 23rd January. I could not believe that more than month to wait again. I rang them up and told im available at very short notice and they gave me on next day. What can I say, this time I got test with private company and there was totally different judgment. Some minor mistakes even did not mark. On first test I faild 6 times in one. This time main problem he found in my braking what previous did not at all. And I thought he will not let me do test because nct looked dodgy without that shiny licence on that, checked about 10min (test was in NCT centre). Thanks God it was ok. So thats mine experience

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Coala

Branoic wrote: »
    I passed an hour ago!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

But man, let me tell you about the morning I had!

Test was at 12, so I got out of the house at 9 with the intention of driving to the town the test centre is in to spend an hour or two going around the routes. I had checked all the lights on the car two days ago and all was well.

But not this morning!!

Damn reverse light wasn't working.

Brought it to a garage to have a look and it wasn't just the bulb, something in the electrics was gone. He didn't have the required part and nor did any other suppliers in the town. Nightmare! I was bricking it. I had to change cars with my wife which I was really not happy with. Although the second car is newer and nicer, and I have driven it before, I've had all my practice in the first car. The clutches are totally different and I wasn't as familiar with the secondary controls or under the bonet.

Anyway, ripped the L plates off my car and stuck them on my wife's. It was lashing rain and I had 40 minutes left before the start of the test. On the dual carriageway between my town and the next, the goddamn front L plate (they were exterior ones) flew off the car!! CRAP! I nearly started crying.

I spent the next half hour driving to three different garages looking for new L plates. Finally found them and got to the test centre with 5 minutes to spare, no proper practice in, with a car I wasn't too familiar with and in an absolute panic!

Anyway, despite this nightmare start, I passed! Tester said it was a good solid drive and one of the better ones he's had this week so far. Awww yeah!
    but what about your inssurance on the other car?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kodute wrote: »
    Passed in Ennis!
    mmalaka wrote: »
    Passed in Wicklow
    Shamo wrote: »
    Just passed today 2:55 onwards
    Coala wrote: »
    I passed on second time yahoo :)
    Congratulations folks - well done! :D

Coala wrote: »
    but what about your inssurance on the other car?
    Presumably, as the poster is married, he is insured on both vehicles. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Passed my test this morning with SGS in Naas, 1st attempt. I wasn't really that nervous beforehand except about parking at the end of the test and the reverse around the corner as I've never been able to do it. Found my tester so nice and really put me at ease. It helps that you go straight onto a dual carriageway from the industrial estate so have time to relax a bit before hitting traffic. What's most astonishing is that I reversed around the corner perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

Passed today with the RSA in Waterford! Was only out driving for 25 mins! :eek: I was sure I must have had a grade three for him to bring me in so early, but no, only a few blues. Delighted with myself! :D

Three of my instructor's other clients were on before me, they all passed, and the woman going out as I went in also passed. Wonder whether they're going easy on people coz of the new legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Passed today in Dungarvan.

The Milky Bars are on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

genegenie wrote: »
    Three of my instructor's other clients were on before me, they all passed, and the woman going out as I went in also passed. Wonder whether they're going easy on people coz of the new legislation?

Possibly - but I'd say it's more likely that people are doing more to prepare for the test. I had a lesson the other day, and the instructor was telling me that people are now booking 4-6 pre-tests, where previously they would have booked 2-3, and they are also starting their pre-tests sooner, rather than waiting until the week of the test. So the standard of applicant is probably higher than it was. If that's the case, then it looks like all the fuss last month was a good thing.

yeah , I would agree i studied so hard and practised (4 pre tests)so hard before my test that people were so surprised that I passed
    you need to learn how they want you to drive for that 50 or so mins and thats it
    I know its not the point of the test but its how you pass

• Advertisement

genegenie wrote: »
    Passed today with the RSA in Waterford!
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Passed today in Dungarvan
    Passed my test this morning with SGS in Naas!
    Congratulations to all - safe motoring! :)

you need to learn how they want you to drive for that 50 or so mins
    More like 25 minutes coolsmileygirl. ;) (unless it's in a larger category).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

More like 25 minutes coolsmileygirl. ;) (unless it's in a larger category).

I passed last Monday with SGS Ballymun. There's a section they brought me through which is 30KPH. Really blessed there.

A queue was forming behind me. Cars were honking but there was no way I was going over 30!

Daith wrote: »
    Cars were honking but there was no way I was going over 30!

The same happens to me in the Industrial Estate in Waterford sometimes. It is very funny looking at the facial expressions of the idiot in the car behind.

Daith wrote: »
    There's a section they brought me through which is 30KPH.
    A queue was forming behind me. Cars were honking but there was no way I was going over 30!
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The same happens to me in the Industrial Estate in Waterford sometimes
    I didn't think the 30kph limit existed outside Dublin! :confused:

I didn't think the 30kph limit existed outside Dublin! :confused:

It's a temp limit. There is work being done on the road.

Incorrect. It is not a temporary speed limit. It is the speed limit for the Industrial Estate in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

my test was on the sat before xmas

Passed with 4 grade 2 errors.
    Absolutely delighted as I was pretty unsure of the whole area, took ages to find the place, thank god i got there early.
    I lost marks for not slowing on a residential road where it turns pretty much 90 degrees left with little prior notice.

fine apart from that, I was happy but just so relieved also.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

p-nut wrote: »
    WAHEYYYY!!

Sorry, im just over the moon. This was my second time doing it and i just cant believe it:D

I was determined to get it before my 18th.....and guess what.....I'm not 18 til the 20th of june.

Thanks to everyone that posted advice up here, i've been lurkin around this forum silently for the last while and its brill.

wow not even 18 congrats! i got mine on second aswell, it makes it all the sweeter after the 1st time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

YAY:D

Passed this morning in Wicklow. 3 Grade 2's.

I am so happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

redcar wrote: »
    YAY:D

Passed this morning in Wicklow. 3 Grade 2's.

I am so happy!

Congratulations, redcar! :-) As you see Wicklow wasn't so bad! Now, write more details about your test. I'd like to know how it looks like. Thanks and all the best !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Passed today in Finglas. :D:D:D
    Second time lucky! (Failed it there a few months ago.)

Test itself was fine and the tester was very nice. Only had a few blue marks, but one that I thought was worth mentioning here was for indicating when moving off.

After doing the reverse around the corner, he asked me to move left. I was very close to the corner, so when I indicated I only indicated left as I didn't want to give a misleading signal by indicating right. He gave me a Grade 2 for it as he said the left indicator itself was a misleading signal because people might think I was parking. He said the correct thing to do was indicate right before moving out, cancel it immediately on moving out, and then indicate left.

The only reason I didn't indicate right was because TWO instructors had told me not to in that situation. Guess they were wrong :)

Luckily I passed anyway - phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

*throws L-plates on barbeque*

*dances*

A couple of blues, mainly on my obs doing the corner reverse (nerves IMO) and road positioning. Nothing major and again nerves really.
    Got one of the roadsigns wrong (hospital, I said heavy goods parking lol).
    Coming back from the test, I'm taking the last r'about before home (3rd exit), some silly bitch decides to cut me up and near takes my front wing off.
    Delighted though...haven't felt like that since I got my LC results (which were nothing spectacular).
    Big thanks for all the advice and help from posters and mods on this forum, and I hope I can help someone else on their way.

Wertz wrote: »
    *throws L-plates on barbeque*

*dances*

A couple of blues, mainly on my obs doing the corner reverse (nerves IMO) and road positioning. Nothing major and again nerves really.
    Got one of the roadsigns wrong (hospital, I said heavy goods parking lol).
    Coming back from the test, I'm taking the last r'about before home (3rd exit), some silly bitch decides to cut me up and near takes my front wing off.
    Delighted though...haven't felt like that since I got my LC results (which were nothing spectacular).
    Big thanks for all the advice and help from posters and mods on this forum, and I hope I can help someone else on their way.
    LOL Well done Wertz :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Passed first time at Ballymun SGS by a tester called Sheelagh.

Another guy was doing his test at the same time and we both took the exact same route which was weird.

Anyway, death to all learner drivers! ;)

Passed with 4 grade 2 errors
    i got mine on second aswell
    redcar wrote: »
    Passed this morning in Wicklow
    aniascor wrote: »
    Passed today in Finglas
    javaboy wrote: »
    Passed first time at Ballymun SGS
    Congratulations folks. Well done and safe motoring! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Passed today in Sligo on first attempt:) Delighted and thanks for all the advice on this forum. My one bit of advice is to get a very experienced instructor and do a pretest in the route area on the morning of the test. Worked for me anyway!

lubie76 wrote: »
    Passed today in Sligo on first attempt:)
    Congratulations lubie76, well done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

javaboy wrote: »
    Passed first time at Ballymun SGS by a tester called Sheelagh.

Another guy was doing his test at the same time and we both took the exact same route which was weird.

Anyway, death to all learner drivers! ;)

Yep exact same thing happened me, talking to a girl in waiting room, 2 of us went out at same time and I nearly had to overtake her at one point, but she took a different 2nd half of the route
    She'd failed twice previous but passed this time...when I pulled back into the centre she was hugging her instructor and screaming.
    Conragts to all who passed today...must be something in the air...

aniascor wrote: »
    He said the correct thing to do was indicate right before moving out, cancel it immediately on moving out, and then indicate left.

The only reason I didn't indicate right was because TWO instructors had told me not to in that situation. Guess they were wrong :)

Weird my instructor said the same thing. I can't recall it coming up on my test but it's odd.

Well done though!

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    she was hugging her instructor and screaming.
    :eek: Jesus, I hope she doesn't go on to do any of the truck tests. I can't see the likes of Nicky Collier taking any of that oul carry on! :D

Advertisement