Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

Whooooo Whooooooo I passed yesterday morning in Ballymun SGS. The tester was sound. Well not that we were all chatty or anything but he was pleasant enough. He didnt ask me anything under the bonnet which I thought was odd, but I wont complain. He also never asked me to preform a hill start but I think there was enough oppurtunities to show that I can do it during the drive.

At the end after he told me I passed he gave me a quick run through my score sheet. I got 4 grade 2's and 2 grade 1's. He said my observation was very good but had it been only medeoaker (or however you spell it) I might not have passed. At one point I drove in the over taking lane, and I got 2 ticks for turning left.

So happy I have that monkey off my back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Whooooo Whooooooo I passed yesterday morning in Ballymun SGS. The tester was sound. Well not that we were all chatty or anything but he was pleasant enough. He didnt ask me anything under the bonnet which I thought was odd, but I wont complain. He also never asked me to preform a hill start but I think there was enough oppurtunities to show that I can do it during the drive.

At the end after he told me I passed he gave me a quick run through my score sheet. I got 4 grade 2's and 2 grade 1's. He said my observation was very good but had it been only medeoaker (or however you spell it) I might not have passed. At one point I drove in the over taking lane, and I got 2 ticks for turning left.

Congrats, 4 grade 2's is an excellent score!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Congrats lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

Congrats urbanangel! I have my test in Ballymun SGS Friday week. I only found out on Monday and I have only been driving a month so I'm quite worried! What route did he bring you on? Mine is at a similiar time so might be around the same way. I drive around Ballymun a good bit because of work and college so it shouldn't be too bad, better than Finglas anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

siobhanoh wrote: »
    Congrats urbanangel! I have my test in Ballymun SGS Friday week. I only found out on Monday and I have only been driving a month so I'm quite worried! What route did he bring you on? Mine is at a similiar time so might be around the same way. I drive around Ballymun a good bit because of work and college so it shouldn't be too bad, better than Finglas anyway!!

oooh best of luck with it. I had been preparing to take the route that 2 people told me about, basically turn right when leaving entrance to centre and head straight for roundabout, towards ballymun and drive around Shanowen Housing estate, but instead, the test said 'turn left'. It was almost better that I wasnt over familiar with this 'left route' because I was being even more observant of what was around me. He brought me around a the road that runs by the airport, around where theres a go karting place, then up near the sports stadium is (sorry Im not familiar with the names of places). I just made sure I took my time, and tried to look confident and casually but fully looking around whenever I was stopped or driving. Like I wasnt clinging onto the wheel or anything. There is an oppurtunity to break the speed limit on that road that runs by the airport so look out for a sign to say whether its 60 or 80 because I wasnt sure. I stayed at 60 and didnt get marked on it at all, so just be careful.

Im only driving 3 months and did my first test in Finglas when I was only driving same amount of time as you. I failed because I allowed a guy on the main road to let me out, but even though HE was letting me go, because he'd right of way I should have stayed put.

Best of luck and feel free to pm me or whatever if you want more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

oooh best of luck with it. I had been preparing to take the route that 2 people told me about, basically turn right when leaving entrance to centre and head straight for roundabout, towards ballymun and drive around Shanowen Housing estate, but instead, the test said 'turn left'. It was almost better that I wasnt over familiar with this 'left route' because I was being even more observant of what was around me. He brought me around a the road that runs by the airport, around where theres a go karting place, then up near the sports stadium is (sorry Im not familiar with the names of places). I just made sure I took my time, and tried to look confident and casually but fully looking around whenever I was stopped or driving. Like I wasnt clinging onto the wheel or anything. There is an oppurtunity to break the speed limit on that road that runs by the airport so look out for a sign to say whether its 60 or 80 because I wasnt sure. I stayed at 60 and didnt get marked on it at all, so just be careful.

Im only driving 3 months and did my first test in Finglas when I was only driving same amount of time as you. I failed because I allowed a guy on the main road to let me out, but even though HE was letting me go, because he'd right of way I should have stayed put.

Best of luck and feel free to pm me or whatever if you want more info.
    wow that would be a great route if I got it because I drive down there an awful lot when trying to avoid the main road/guards :P I know the big long straight road you are talking about and its 80 most of the way down. But as you say it could be a bad thing if I am too used to it. One more question for you, how was the theory part? and did the look under the bonnet? I've heard one or two people didn't get asked about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Usually if it's raining they don't do the bonnet checks. That might have been why they didn't do it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

socmonster wrote: »
    Anybody have any tips for the driving test in the centre in Shannon? Have it there this month and slightly (:eek:) nervous about the whole thing. Any hints, advice or prayers would be graciously received!

PS: not just about the centre or route, but if theres anything about the test in general that you feel could be useful, by all means post it. thanks.

PLease start a new thread for these types of questions, you'll get a much better response, i would usually move them to their own thread but it's hard to do on a mobile phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 belgo27

My head was like a windmill pointing in all directions today. no marks for observation. wooo, i can now drive faster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

belgo27 wrote: »
    My head was like a windmill pointing in all directions today. no marks for observation. wooo, i can now drive faster!!

I imagine you're kidding about the faster driving bit.

Congratulations on passing btw.

• Advertisement

belgo27 wrote: »
    wooo, i can now drive faster!!

I hope you're joking!
    Your Learning has only just begun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 belgo27

I hope you're joking!
    Your Learning has only just begun!

:D. Id advise anyone taking the test soon just to constantly check mirrors and blind spots especially during the reversing around the corner. Its easy to fix the observation problem imo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

woo passed in sgs centre in letterkenny yesterday with 6 grade 2's. was my third time though lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sozzer

Hi everyone, i passed my test there yesterday. I had a great instructor called <SNIP>. My advise.... practise the roundabouts in all traffic and weather and then nothing can suprise you!! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I never got to post here as I didn't know this place existed when I did my test, so I'll post on behalf of my sister! She passed in Blackrock (Cork) with 3 grade 2 faults and when she was told that she passed she screamed 'WOOHOO' at the tester. Had the place in stitches!

She then ripped down one of the L plates to stick it to my brother's head before trying to salvage it so she could drive to the County Hall for the licence, which she then showed to everyone she saw when we were stopped in traffic, including a couple of Gardai.

I think she's happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Maybe I should use adverts.ie for this, but.....

FOR SALE: One set of L-Plates

:):):)

Passed in SGS Ballymun today. Tester was really nice. The route was pretty nasty tbh. Lots of cars parked on both sides of the road in Shanliss...

Reverse around the corner was horrid. He took me to a corner with a car just outside of where I'd be reversing to so I couldn't see anything down the road. I did cop that there was a car getting ready to come up it tho as I was passing so I was looking around constantly waiting for it. Then on two seperate occassions cars came driving towards me, one came from behind AND people crossed the road I was reversing into. And I pulled it all off without any faults. Once that was out of the way I knew I was passing.

Turnabout was cool. Nice wide road, coulda done it in 3 but played it safe for 5. Again, no faults there. Just as I was turning into a road to do it a bus came along and pulled up right on the corner, pretty much making it a blind, one lane left turn (there's a bus stop about 2 meters from the curb). Fair play to the driver tho, he pulled up a little further so I had room to go around him.

Got 3 grade 2's for turning. I had been cutting corners a bit and my instructor told me to let the front of the car out a bit more before turning. But then today the tester said I was taking them TOO square. Lol... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Picked uo two for not using my center mirror when slowing down (I was mostly using my side mirrors). Last one was for breaking the speed limit on Santry Avenue (lol, oops!!!!). I was ONLY doing 60 in a 50 zone. Oh well....

Anyway.... No more looking over my shoulders for Garda checkpoints. First thing I did was rip down my L-Plates. Gonna call Axa now and see how much money they'll give me back, and then go and get my pink piece of paper sorted tomorrow :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Passed! 5th june SGS it was grand... Woo Hoo! Anyone need L plates?

Just to let people know, i got a response from the RSA about this whole "whether you can drive unaccompanied with your certificate of competancy?" question, Basically the answer was no, they rang the local garda sergeant who advised that it was at the discretion of the Garda but ultimately you're not considered fully licensed until you apply for your license in you motor tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ultimately you're not considered fully licensed until you apply for your license in you motor tax office.

Hang onto the receipt from the tax office as proof that you have applied and you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I passed in Birr last week-pure delighted I no longer have to worry about getting stopped by the guards!;) I was a nervous wreck but somehow managed to do it and pass it without many mistakes!

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Hang onto the receipt from the tax office as proof that you have applied and you should be OK.

Mhmmmm that's it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 goldensun

Passed in SGS Tallaght (first attempt) after 3 months driving.

Didnt get any lessons but did have one brilliant pre-test with Tony (PM for his number - firm but effective) who I'd highly recommend. Also check out the book 'go get it' and read it over and over till it's bet into your head.

Another thumbs up for SGS instructors. Friendly bunch of people who help take the edge off!

Good luck to everyone preparing for their test (and thanks to Dave for PMing me Tony's number)!

Hi would you mind PM Tonys number doing test for 2nd time in 2 weeks

thanks

jackie

Jackie,
    I think you should PM some of the people that have Tony's number, there's no point posting all over this board for it.
    Thanks
    Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Passed my test in Tyrellstown this morning, yay! :D

The tester was fantastic, very friendly and really helped me to keep calm. The test was pretty short too, unlike the previous time when I had an auditor in the back because it was SGS's first week there - that was nearly a full hour.

I mentioned that I'd heard about a few cancellations, apparently one of the testers was/is out of action.

All in all, I have to say I'm overwhelmingly impressed by the whole SGS setup, they're incredibly efficient (text reminders, you can change your booking to any available day and time at drivertesting.ie) and very friendly :) I guess the surroundings of the Plaza hotel help too!

Good luck to everyone else due to do their test ;)

It is what it's.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

:D I passed my test in Deansgrange just now.

When I went in, the tester I had was the same as the last time, and she wasn't the nicest of people so I asked her if I could wait for the next tester which was no problem. The lady that tested me was lovely. I was brought on a different route to what I was used to (Around the Noggin, down past Monkstown down to Newtownpark Avenue and through a load of estates there back to Deansgrange.) I think she was just as happy as me that I passed!!

Anywho, tis great! Also, this place helped me lots :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 folster

Just passed in Arklow! So Happy!!!! Was sure I had failed cause my reverse round the corner didn't go so well but YAY!! I passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jodyanne

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Passed this morning in Finglas SGS. Tester was a gent.

This board was a great help too.

Off to cancel my other test, woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

jodyanne wrote: »
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Passed this morning in Finglas SGS. Tester was a gent.

This board was a great help too.

Off to cancel my other test, woo hoo!

Congrats, well done!! Now off to the Motorway with you!! Its thadda way ---->:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Steve_o wrote: »
    Congrats, well done!! Now off to the Motorway with you!! Its thadda way ---->:D:D

Haha I passed my test on Monday morning at around 10 and was on my way to Belfast by 12!!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Haha I passed my test on Monday morning at around 10 and was on my way to Belfast by 12!!

You are not legally allowed to drive on the motorway until you receive your full license.

Advertisement