Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just passed in SGS Limerick at second attempt.

3 Grade 2's, each for obs. Got 10 grade 2's in February and it was looking as if I was going to get the same <SNIP> tester this time. When a different guy came out I nearly gave him a hug! The difference in personality between the 2 is incredible, and I reckon it has a huge bearing on results.

The guy today even thought I was hittin on a hotel receptionist as we were walking back to get the results! LOL :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

dont mean to rub salt into peoples wounds but passed the test on monday:D..was my second time to do it so if you fail just be more prepared for the next time ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Post moved.
    Celtic07, no need to post that in the "unsuccessful" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

passed first time today in loughrae after getting seven lessons. rubbed the kerb on the reverse around corner and took off from standstill in second at a junction [diesel car]. only recivied 2 greens ,no blues. very happy with the result!! sound tester aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Passed in Waterford last Friday (SGS) centre.

4 grade twos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭agrajag

passed yesterday in Shannon (RSA), first attempt. managed 7 Grade 2's, including hammering into a speed-bump in 4th gear (not smart) :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I passed in Rathgar. I'm fairly stunned I passed. I can drive well, but to go half an hour without f*cking up is though. Everything seemed to be going against me: I live much closer to Deansgrange (and got a Rathgar appointment), the weather was awful and I was on a route I'd never been on before. Somehow, though, I pulled it together. Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

I passed in Finglas(SGS) today. Everythin went fine even though i got 6 grade 2's. Overall im delighted!. Im not even driving 2 months what a feat for me:D:D. The weather just seemed to clear up for me and a bird did a sh*t on my car just before the test...sign of good luck i was told. Seemingly it was. Tester was friendly so im chuffed. Time to open up the champers!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Passed today in tullamore all went great.
    tester didnt do any under bonnet checks becasue he didnt want to get wet even asking him if he needed an umbrella :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

tayto909 wrote: »
    passed first time today in loughrae after getting seven lessons. rubbed the kerb on the reverse around corner and took off from standstill in second at a junction [diesel car]. only recivied 2 greens ,no blues. very happy with the result!! sound tester aswell.

touching the kerb like that should have been an automatic fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

touching the kerb like that should have been an automatic fail.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 'mounting' the kerb a direct fail (grade 3), with 'touching' it being less serious (grade 2)?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fizman wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 'mounting' the kerb a direct fail (grade 3), with 'touching' it being less serious (grade 2)?

Correct. But people seem to confuse the 2 regularly, so i assume they meant "hitting" the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Passed mine last week in the SGS centre in Limerick. Sun was splitting the rocks as i went in, and the heavens opened for the day while i was in there. No tech checks only a few questions on the way down the stairs (due to the rain). In early, out early, 5 grade two's, most of them for observation. Happy days:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Passed my test today on first attempt, got my permit in February and started driving in the middle of March, have done about 6K miles driving since then and passed today :)

Finally I can get rid of those L plates :pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Passed my test today on first attempt, got my permit in February and started driving in the middle of March, have done about 6K miles driving since then and passed today :)

Finally I can get rid of those L plates :pac:

Congrats. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

passed on first attempt today.
    SGS Tallaght.
    only 2 grade 2's which shocked me.

i had a car crash as a learner when i was 19 this is going back 12 years.

i couldnt get back behind a wheel of a car until June and the thing that forced my hand was the law changes coming into effect.
    I am on a second provisional so bit the bullet and bought a car and went for it.

ive never felt so relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Washout wrote: »
    passed on first attempt today.
    SGS Tallaght.
    only 2 grade 2's which shocked me.

i had a car crash as a learner when i was 19 this is going back 12 years.

i couldnt get back behind a wheel of a car until June and the thing that forced my hand was the law changes coming into effect.
    I am on a second provisional so bit the bullet and bought a car and went for it.

ive never felt so relieved.

congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

Passed this morning in SGS Naas.
    The tester was lovely and because I was first out, there was hardly anyone on the roads which made me feel more relaxed. :)
    The sheer pleasure of tearing those L plates off my car at last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

passed my test today, failed 3 times before but have become alot more safer due to putting lessons into everyday driving, cant wait to go in monday get the license and pull down those L plates!! :D

we dont have to put on r plates do we? i didnt hear this law is in effect yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tech2 wrote: »
    we dont have to put on r plates do we?
    No - congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭techdiver

Passed first time on Saturday in Dun Laoghaire SGS. Probably one of the older people to be learning to drive at 27. Such a relief to get it out of the way!

I can now take down the L plates and use my recently purchased car!

Best of luck to anyone who has the test coming up and the one piece of advice I will give is no matter how bad you think things are going, just dig in there, you'll be surprised how better you actually did. Don't throw in the towel at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

techdiver wrote: »
    Probably one of the older people to be learning to drive at 27
    Congratulations! :)

You're not old at all - my brother's mother-in-law took up driving when she was 79 and passed first time. AFAIK there are a couple of hundred people aged over 85 on a first provisional/learner permit!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Passed on Friday with RSA Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Passed yesterday with sgs in navan, lot easier than the rsa test last year i think

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

techdiver wrote: »
    Passed first time on Saturday in Dun Laoghaire SGS. Probably one of the older people to be learning to drive at 27.

ah you are only a baby at 27. I am 33 and only passed and my dad passed last week and he is 55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭techdiver

irishbird wrote: »
    ah you are only a baby at 27. I am 33 and only passed and my dad passed last week and he is 55

It's great to feel young again! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Passed today, SGS Limerick (Quality Hotel)...Tester was lovely and relaxed even though I was much more nervous than the first time... Just got one grade two mark (I couldn't believe it)!!!!

Good luck to anyone doing the test,

Cheers,
    Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Passed today in Swords, second time in swords doing the test....got two grade two on the reverse, one for observation and one for competenly, that's it....it is a very difficult reverse, it is going up hill and also has several bends....got around the corner fine, when trying to get straight it was difficult to see the further bends....I simply but the car back into first gear drove up a bit and back and was fine....

Anyway the tester was very nice and I asked for feedback on the reverse....he said I was too close to the kerb when trying to get straight and if was further away from the kerb would have a better view..which made sense but I never thought he would make me go so far back from the original turn..anyway, overall he said I was a very good driver and I also mentioned I failed in Swords before, I explained the grade three I got last time (which is the the reason I failed), exactly as the last tester saw it and he actually said I should not have been given a three for such an error.....

But anyway, feels great to finally have it done, was a little worried as I stopped driving and took up cycling since the new rules to get to work (which is a good thing I guess), but I feel not driving and simply observing driver behaviour, the good and the bad, really helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

well done u guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Passed yesterday in SGS Dun Laoighaire... Really nice instructor, who took my first answer with one of the questions when I was unsure..We took Route one which was grand apart for some badly parked vans in the estates.. So relieved its over!

Advertisement