Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Passed this morning, Finglas Sgs, 3rd time lucky :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

Hi guys,
    Just thought I'd share my news... I only got insured and started to learn to drive 5 weeks ago. I was onmy 2nd provisional licence and took me aaaages to get the courage to start learning. I took my mams nissan micra out for an hour every evening, and then almost all of Saturday and Sunday. Im REALLY suprised how well I took to it because normally it takes me a long time to master anything. Ok I havnt mastered it, few problems like Im not too smooth going down the gears, like from 3rd to 2nd but got the trick of most other things.
    Anyway went for my test in Jamestown Road and passed yesterday. I think it was half down to being a fluke, I drove perfectly I think although I thought I'd failed. So more so posting this to tell people it is possible. Best of luck everyone else xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

well done op, i have it next week only driving about 2 months but going out every day so hopefully i pass :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

Best of luck with it. I really think I just happen to get a sound test because I know for a fact I did a few things that I'm not meant to do, like once or twice I crossed my arms when turning and also I forgot to look at my left mirror when I was waeving back into my lane from going around a parked car. My best mate is driving years and is really road rules conscious and really good driver and took her 3 attempts to pass.
    Im sure you'll be fine :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Passed today in SGS Newbridge, first attempt. Had 3 grade 2 faults. Thought had failed, as 5 mins into the test I turned right into a road as requested, car in front of me stopped as there was a truck coming towards it then the car in front started to reverese & reveresed into me (i had blown horn etc) put on hazards etc & got out & checked. Instructor asked did I want to abort the test but I said I would continue so I def thought had failed. Made a mess of reverse around corner & he gave me a second go at it as he said my nerves were shot after the incident. I had 4 pre-tests & they all went very smoothly especially the reverse, turnabout & hillstart. I think the most important thing is to do everything controlled & safely and to keep all round obs at all times.
    Bit disappointed with how I performed but delighted I passed.
    Best of luck to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Passed in SGS Ballymun
    17 y/o Male
    1st Attempt!
    Three Grade 2s
    Did about 20 hours of lesson altogether and used the instructors car
    I'm glad the tester gave a fair test and wasn't prejudmental because of my age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

So happy to be posting here!

Passed yesterday morning in SGS Tallaght (second attempt) after a horrible experience in Raheny a few months ago. Have to say the SGS testers really put you at ease, didnt feel nervous at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Passed in SGS Tallaght (first attempt) after 3 months driving.

Didnt get any lessons but did have one brilliant pre-test with Tony (PM for his number - firm but effective) who I'd highly recommend. Also check out the book 'go get it' and read it over and over till it's bet into your head.

Another thumbs up for SGS instructors. Friendly bunch of people who help take the edge off!

Good luck to everyone preparing for their test (and thanks to Dave for PMing me Tony's number)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Passed 8.15 this morning in SGS Carlow. Been driving for about a year but had picked up plenty of bad habits and forgot important stuff.
    Managed to get one last min lesson at 6pm yesterday evening which was probably the difference between passing and failing. My only pre test lesson but a good one.
    My big problem was the warning light that has been coming on im my car every two minutes for the last few days, always accompanied by a loud beeping noise! Terrible as NCT was only a week ago! Decided I was going to have to tone down my driving style and went as slow and smooth as possible. Miracolously, the car went 40 mins or so without this warning noise. I was more worried about that than the driving. It did flash briefly a couple of times but wasn't noticed.
    So passed with three grade 2 faults. Some bloody woman standing on the white line in the middle of the road was pretty indecisive about crossing and I let her go but he told me I should have kept going.
    Anyway delighted as heading on rtw trip shortly and would like to have the option of renting a car at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Passed today in RSA Wicklow. I did a one pretest with Enda's Driving School which really set me up for a test. The tester was brilliant, very nice guy. It was my second attempt. The first time was really terrible because of arogant tester.

At last it's finished!

Congrats for all and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Passed today in SGS Baldoyle with 4 grade 2's after failing in Raheny in April with 20 grade 2's! Drove the same so it's slightly bizarre but I'm very happy! The guy I had made all the difference, was so friendly and put me at ease. The guy I had in Raheny was very sarcastic and sighed alot. :confused:

Route was as below - the same one the four people I know who took their tests here took. Of course route isn't super important but just for interest I thought I'd put it in!

When we came out of the industrial estate we turned right, we then turned left at the traffic lights into a little housing estate on Grange park where we did turnabout on the first right. Upon exiting that estate we went left and then took the right into the housing estate (Seagrange) just before Baldoyle shopping centre. In there I did my reverse on the first corner on the left. Drove through that estate and back out onto the Grange Road where we turned left all the way down to the big roundabout and took first exit to turn left at the shopping centre down Newbrook Road. Went through that estate around Howth Junction Dart Station and out onto the Kilbarrack Road. Took the first right back up the Grange Rd (How long is that road?), past the shopping centre and took the 3rd exit at roundabout back to test centre.

So happy to be done with it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was sure I had failed, cos I had mine at 2.35 and he brought me down a back lane outside a school with kids and cars EVERYWHERE, and the world just seemed to be against me there were so many hazards!!! But I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Passed :) First time taking the test. I just started laughing out loud when he told me and couldnt stop smilling for the whole way home with the odd "woooootttt" shouted loudly in my car :)

It was a tester named Anthony Rice from SGS in dun laoghaire. He was really great. Put me at ease from the begging was very prompt at giving directions before they came up.

A girl broke down as i entered the portacabin. Must of failed. Scared me ****less seeing it so it was a huge benefit having a tester that was very friendly and good at his job.

I've been driving 6 months. Learnt from a guy name Jay, Can pm his number to anyone. Superb instructor. Had me driving after 15 mins. Made the difference for me.

wooooottt!!! :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amy559

Passed my test yesterday at the Bray SGS test centre. Was delighted as I had done it twice before in Wicklow and failed both times.(the testers there are horrible and wicklow is a pain in the *ss to drive in :eek:)
    The tester I had was so nice, he really made me feel comfortable as I was quite nervous! Took me on route 1 which I had practised with my instructor many times. But I Took a right turn by a mistake when he said turn left-oops! that was just after my 3 point turn- had to do another 3point turn then to get back onto the right road again! everything else went grand though just sooo happy iv got it and dont have to worry about the new rules coming in in June! Good luck to all!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭guil

passed my c test today, first try and only had 5 lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

guil07 wrote: »
    passed my c test today, first try and only had 5 lessons
    Well done guil07 - good to hear! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

drifted into this thread and now I feel old.......

Passed in Churchtown - in 1986! Back then the license covered trucks, so I still have a C licence with trailers - combined weight up to 12 tonnes. Used to cover bikes too, but that seems to have vanished during one of the renewals :-(

Pete67 wrote: »
    Back then the license covered trucks, so I still have a C licence with trailers - combined weight up to 12 tonnes.
    Are you sure it's not a category C1 Licence?

There is a big difference between a C Licence and a C1 Licence. A C1 is basically a heavy van or small light truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Are you sure it's not a category C1 Licence?

There is a big difference between a C Licence and a C1 Licence. A C1 is basically a heavy van or small light truck.

\goes and checks\

You're right, C1 - truck up to 7.5 tonnes, and also E+C1 - truck and trailer combo up to 12 tonnes. Never used either, but it's there anyway.

Pete67 wrote: »
    \goes and checks\

You're right, C1 - truck up to 7.5 tonnes, and also E+C1 - truck and trailer combo up to 12 tonnes. Never used either, but it's there anyway.
    That's what I thought. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Passed two days ago in SGS Portlaoise, this was my first try! Was nervous as anything, but tester was really nice and calm. Felt his marks were fair (8 grade 2's) as my nerves were shot and I did make mistakes, even killed the car as I started the reverse!:(

As an American who's been driving for 16 years prior to moving here, fair play to ANYONE who can pass this or the theory test--ever. You'd laugh at the paltry test we have to pass, both theory and driving. Americans could learn a lot from demanding that the driver knows things like how to check the oil, and also from requiring something like the NCT.

I would not have passed with my driving habits from the States. Instructor and loads of practise, plus kind tester, helped me through. Best of luck to all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Passed in Churchtown yesterday, my second time going for it.

7 blues, in mostly the same places I was marked for last time.

Delighted I passed though, the tester was very off putting, kept sighing and looked very bored.

yay I passed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 NatDonegal

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Delighted I passed though, the tester was very off putting, kept sighing and looked very bored.

I know... same here... the sighing made me more nervous. I still managed to pass though. Happy days... I can legally drive in N.I. now... and on motorways :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

yeah i really hate that putting off attitude, I understand that they have to do the same thing every day, but still, like, they must recognise that people who do the test are incredibly nervous!

ah dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluetoffee

passed in tallaght this afternoon. absolute gift doing my test on a bank holiday

went all around tymon north, and came back along belgard rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Passed myself this morning in Dun Laoghaire.

Lovely sunny morning and hardly any other cars on the road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bluetoffee wrote: »
    passed in tallaght this afternoon. absolute gift doing my test on a bank holiday

went all around tymon north, and came back along belgard rd
    Healio wrote: »
    Passed myself this morning in Dun Laoghaire.

Lovely sunny morning and hardly any other cars on the road.

Congrats lads, I didn't know they were conducting the tests on Bank Holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

bit late posting but I passed in Ballymun on Friday. Pressure was on as I'm starting a new job and needed the licence so I can take delivery of a shiny new Toyota Avensis next week.......

tester was a sound guy. Friendly and polite without being overly chatty. Made me feel very at ease. I've been driving on and off for years now and had developed a few bad habits. Had an excellent instructor though that knew the area well (PM for her number).

took me through straight down the Ballymun Rd, then left, then through all the housing estates. Back out then at the top junction of the Ballymin rd and back to the centre. All in all I'd say we were about 30 mins out, though traffic was pretty heavy all over.

Main thing i had been told about SGS Ballymun was your observations. As its so built up and traffic heavy at times this is the key. Other than that they are a pretty nice and fair bunch out there.

One other word of advice that I can give is to practice the turn out of the testing centre a few times....obviously without blocking or messing up people actually doing the test. It comes out onto a pretty busy road, traffic flys along there, so BE careful, take your chance and get out when you can safely and you'll be grand

Big thanks to Wishbone Ash too, this forum was very very helpful. You do a great job here matey

Big thanks to Wishbone Ash too, this forum was very very helpful. You do a great job here matey
    :eek: :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

Finally get to post on this page:D
    Passed my test on the second attempt in Tipperary. Got 3 grade two faults. Sound tester! Delighted to finally have passed.:D:D:D:D:cool::pac:;)
    Good luck to everyone else sitting tests soon.

Advertisement