Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

WOOHOO!
    just passed at th sgs in dun L
    tester was so nice, much friendlier than any of th guys in churchtown!
    soooo happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

woohoooo,

Just passed this morning at the clonshaugh SGS centre. Examiner was very down to earth and gave all the instructions in plenty of time.

Absolutely chuffed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭valz_walsh

I passed last Friday in Mallow, second time round. What a weight off my shoulders!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Passed today in Kilkenny with only two marks, yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 softie

Let me think.... Why am I here...... Ogh yeah, I just passed my driving test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!! Never been happier!!!! :):):):):):):)

I hit the kerb as I was turning left on the very narrow road and went through yellow lights, after that I just lost the hope to pass and just drove without paying any attention to what I was doing:(:(. When I got back to the test center and tester told me to take a seat so we can go through the results I was thinking to myself " Just hurry up, tell me I failed, so I can go home and cry my eyes out" there is no way I expected to hear "Congratulations, you've passed your test!!!" :pac::pac::pac:

Just wanna say to all of you guys, who are waiting for their test-Never give up. No matter what, you might think this is the end of your test, but tested might not. Just keep up the great job and you'll pass.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Congrats.

Poor kerb...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 softie

Congrats.

Poor kerb...

Agh, it'll be grant. I'll go back later and apologize to it ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Yay!!! Woo!!! Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Congralutions

Where did you take your test?????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thread merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nataliehun

woo hoo!!! passed my test today! first go! Lplates b gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

passed my test first time in Wicklow!! can't believe it i was convinced I'd fail!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Milo98

Wahoo I passed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Passed test , yee haw, go on the one grahamo driver lad!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry bout that..im happy:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭surgeon_general

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

just passed there in Dun Laoghaire and it feels amazing.

thanks to boards members for all the hints & discussion. Regardless of whether the advice is correct or not, at least it makes you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 prodicalson

PASSED THE TEST YESTERDAY POTTERY ROAD, HAD 15 LESSONS WITH STRIVE2DRIVE GUYS NAME WAS <SNIP> ,VERY LAID BACK WOW WHAT A GREAT TEACHER............

HE CAME HIGHLY RECOMENDED FROM A FRIEND WHO HAD A COUPLE OF PRETESTS WITH HIM AND PASSED ALSO

<SNIP>

GOOD LUCK TO ALL DOING THE TEST

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Post moved, and please don't use CAPS it's very annoying, and use the PM function to recommend driving instructors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Will I get R'd? I don't wanna get R'd?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There are no R plates in Ireland. And there wont be any for the foreseeable future. And there's a sticky for all this passing your test lark. Well Congrats!

Threads Merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

thank you, I was hearing from people that I'd get an R sticker after all that trouble! Yes I was extremely lucky to get a test today and extremely lucky to pass as I could barely keep foot on the clutch i was shaking with nerves. Pressure was on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Well done on passing, Must be a great feeling with the day that's in it and all!

I've heard all sorts of rumours about these new laws, You'll need R plates, You still can't drive on the motorway after you pass, and my favourite one, you need to be accompanied for 2 years after passing your test. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

R sticker

Heard this too, I passed my test in May, no way am I putting up stickers on my car after all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was hearing from people that I'd get an R sticker
    TheElf wrote: »
    I've heard all sorts of rumours about these new laws, You'll need R plates, You still can't drive on the motorway after you pass, and my favourite one, you need to be accompanied for 2 years after passing your test
    Setve_o wrote:
    no way am I putting up stickers on my car after all that....

Why listen to rumours - just check out the facts yourselves.

If an R plate was required, I would have stated so in the sticky. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Haha just passed in Limerick. Thank <SNIP> for that! Tester I complained from the last time was on but thank god I got the other guy cos I prob would have decked him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Why listen to rumours - just check out the facts yourselves.

If an R plate was required, I would have stated so in the sticky. ;)

You are wise good sir...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Woot!

I passed my test this morning in Mungret in Limerick.

The tester was all business. No chat at all. I even hit the kerb on the turnabout but somehow got away with it.

It's going to be a great weekend :D

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Woot!

I passed my test this morning in Mungret in Limerick.

The tester was all business. No chat at all. I even hit the kerb on the turnabout but somehow got away with it.

It's going to be a great weekend :D

Congrats. That's the way i'd want a tester to be to be honest!
    Touching the Kerb would only get you a grade one or possibly a grade two, It's not a straight fail like some believe. People tend to confuse hitting the Kerb with mounting the kerb which is an Automatic Fail/Grade 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

People tend to confuse hitting the Kerb with mounting the kerb which is an Automatic Fail/Grade 3.

Not so, I know people who mounted the kerb and passed. Some testers are very lenient.

tuxy wrote: »
    Not so, I know people who mounted the kerb and passed. Some testers are very lenient.

I think the people you know may have confused "mounting" with "hitting", Mounting the Kerb would be a very serious Fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Passed! :D Third time but meh, just as long as I pass!

First test was a washout (only driving two weeks at that point!), second test... :mad: I had a nasty piece of work for a tester (same guy as Tutter/Pen Tapper on the fail thread? did the same BS to me!) and inexplicably failed; probably due to the fact that the laws regarding tests and learners were all changed the night before! Even my instructor was somewhat sceptical of me passing due to that, talk about bad timing! No-one ever worked out where all those Grade 2s even came from... This time my tester was friendly and I passed even though I was SO nervous my performance was probably WORSE this time around! :o

Pretty mediocre performance this time IMHO, picked up 4 Grade 2s. One really dumb mistake at the start, stuck my bonnet out of the car park a bit too fast given bad view angle, only place where I feel dubious about picking up a Grade 2 as I was still looking where I was going (wouldn't have moved off so quick if I couldn't see I was clear!) but everywhere else I felt as if my tester went easy on me, I felt I messed up/mistimed some obs sequences on turns (nervous! never do THAT normally!) and also had to clutch in for 2nd for a bit in traffic - not a problem for all testers (not coasting randomly!) but some can nail you with tons of Grade 2s for that (happened to a mate, seemed very odd so he appealed and got a retest very quick).

No Grade 2s for manoeuvres! :cool: Three-point was a joke, good smooth, wide, quiet road for it. Reverse just before then was a bit meh, small, simple turn but naff road condition, competency was mediocre (didn't lock very evenly but didn't force myself into wildly readjusting either thank god!) but I kept good obs (no traffic around and I drew a bead on the lone pedestrian in the area before even beginning so I think he realised I was paying close attention to my surroundings!). No hill-start but a couple of traffic stops I judged worthy of sticking on the handbrake and I kept the clutch as smooth as possible! No hand signals either!

Also finished with a very dumb mistake - final turn off the main road is just after lights and I wanted to avoid getting pinned down in the wrong lane following a merge so I stayed in the inside lane at the lights - not an illegal move per se (allowed to go straight on that lane at those lights) but poor form as this blocked traffic turning right at the lights and the filter light for that came on, so Grade 2. Meh.

Other 2 Grade 2s were for hazards - pretty hairy out there this morning! Not 100% sure if I got the Grade 2s for the two obvious hazards or for ones I marked as less important in my head. A good one was a busy narrow stretch just after staggered lights, go through the lights to find my way blocked around the corner by a truck, and I failed to give myself enough room to see around it (hard to avoid as the road curves back again after that and the truck blocked the view of the bend!), was bailed out by vehicles on the far side making room (thanks peeps! :D ) once they were halted by the lights I just passed.

Other "good" (:rolleyes:) one was this black car, waiting on a turn to my right at a box junction while I was on the straight. They had no right of way and were clearly blocked by traffic, I reached the box and was staying just far enough from traffic in front to see that they weren't obstructed ahead so my exit from box would clear as I reached it. Kept going, constant speed, as I approach the box said car disappears off my right peripheral vision as normal, then my spidey-sense kicks in and I go for the brake just as I hear revs on my right. Black car has FREAKED! and flies across the box in a right turn into the main traffic stream across my bonnet. If it hadn't been for gut instinct no amount of braking would have avoided THAT crash, the car bolted far too late for someone going on sound and vision alone to catch in time. As it was it was dead close and I think my tester was pleased to be alive after that wee display of *utterly* crap driving.

[rant] Somehow I always seem to get a genuine NUT every second time I drive through this town (i.e. at least once a fortnight) and much of the time it has something to do with aggressive drivers seeing a box junction as a road sign for FREE FOR ALL - Right Of Way And Laws Of Physics Do Not Apply Here :confused::eek::mad: I hate obeying boxes only to have others use them for evil! Just a fortnight ago I only avoided getting honked down by an entire tailback by blocking a box to prevent an enterprising b!&$# racing into the car park and out the far end by me to leapfrog a whole chunk of traffic (if I hadn't stopped this nefarious plot I'd be killed by the ppl behind me!) In return this loon gets revenge by ramming my car! Only the idiot forgot that Astra >>> Punto, I got away without a scratch on my rear bumper while this fool wrecked their Fiat's suspension. Really mature behaviour in crowded traffic, good going smarty! And if a pedestrian tried to run across your front just before you rammed me? :eek: [/rant]

Just gonna keep working on my skills regardless of getting a full license, coz I don't ever want to end up behaving like these screwballs! :P

Advertisement