Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Haha yeah, gotta keep em guessing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Were those floor presses done with dumbells or barbell? Savage either way but just wondering. Also whats the carry over benefit of the bradford press for your powerlifting?

Thanks man. They were with a bar.

The Bradford Presses wouldn't really be a strength builder per se... but they do put alot of work on my shoulders without having to go TOO heavy. Plus the pump is saaaaavage.

For anyone who doesn't know what they are, they're basically a military press and behind the next press in one go. You press the bar half way up from the front, then drop it down and press it from behind your neck to half way up again. That's 1 rep.

ME UPPER

Floor Press:
    60kg 2x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    130kg x3
    140kg x STAPLED
    140kg x1 -PR

Bench Press:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x5
    120kg x5
    *shirt on, old 44 F6, all reps touched*
    140kg x3
    150kg 3x3

4 Board Press:
    130kg x5
    140kg x5
    145kg x5
    150kg x5 -PR

Then later on in TF..

Military Press:
    60kg x5

Bradford Press:
    20kg x10
    40kg x10
    50kg 2x10, 1x8

Military Press:
    60kg x3
    70kg x3
    75kg x1
    80kg x1

Rack Chins:
    bodyweight 3x12

*straight into*

Wide Grip Pulldown:
    plate 60 x20

Dumbbell Curls:
    15kg 'bells 3x15

Thoughts and videos in a while.

Fairly solid session today. The floor press p!ssed me right off. I did 130x3 quite comfortably and was VERY shocked to miss the 140 first time around. I got fired up for it second time around and it moved quite smoothly.

Our competition bench was stolen for the weekend to go down to a comp so the bench set up was improvised, we threw a flat bench into the squat rack and used that instead. Not perfect, but better than nothing (the other bench is too narrow to use any real weight on).

The 120x5 came up alot more smoothly than last week, I'm gonna just stick with 120 before I put my shirt on and just try to add reps each week. The shirt bench itself was pretty handy. Bar speed was reallly good, and when I hit the groove it was like a speed press. I'd say 6 out of my 9 presses were in the pefect bar path so my technique's coming on.

As I get better in the shirt I'll start to miss reps higher up, so I'm gonna start hammering the high board work for 3 week waves now in anticipation.

My shoulder strength's moving along nicely. The Bradford Presses were good to me. I'd be confident enough of pressing 90kg now fully rested considering I did 80kg at the end of a VERY hard day. Perhaps a bit more... The hunt for a bodyweight press continues.

Good session. Looking forward to squatting tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Bench Vid from today - 150kg

First rep touched a bit high, hence the slower lockout. It just wasnt in a good position. Corrected on the next 2 reps and they're much better looking.

ME LOWER

Rock Bottom Box Squats (set as low as the box would go):
    60kg 2x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    140kg x3
    *add belt*
    160kg x3
    170kg x3 - PR

Beltless Squats:
    60kg x5
    100kg x5
    140kg x5
    160kg x5
    *add in belt and wraps*
    170kg x5

Pull thrus:
    plate 35 3x15

Hanging Leg Raises:
    3x12 (straight legs parrallel to the floor)

First ME upper session after last weeks deload. I was surprised by my strength off the low box, it was probably 2-3 inches lower than my normal just below parallel height which I've done 190x1 off.

Squats were good. I'm getting really strong out of the hole, but stalling towards the top. I'm gonna order some bands tonight or tomorrow and start using them off the box and see if they help.

The wrapped squats were good. Felt good for alot more and considering all the big squatting I'd done before it I was quite happy.

Ab strength seems down a bit. Time to work it a bit harder I think.

Vids later or tomorrow.

DE UPPER

Bench w/ doubled mini bands:
    60kg x3
    70kg 4x3 (medium grip)
    75kg 4x3 (pinky on rings)

Bench:
    90kg x5
    107.5kg 5x5

Face Pulls:
    plate 7 x15
    plate 8 3x15

Shoulder Death (20 raises to the front, 20 to the side, 20 bent over laterals):
    5kg 'bells - 2sets

Pulldowns (gripped as wide as possible):
    plate 10 x6
    plate 12 x6
    plate 14 6x6

Decent workout. Bar speed on the DE presses wasn't that great initially. Sets got better as I went on. It was hard to push with absolute force tho because I knew each rep was going to kill my trcieps.

The 5x5's were good. Nice tight set up, gripped a finger wider than normal, lowered the bar a bit higher on my chest and the power was unreal. I kept making tweaks as the set went on and by the 5th set I'd really cracked it. I could feel my upper back giving me hyyyyoge pop. I'll contiune to try and refine this.

Off to study now.

Probably one of the funniest vids on the net right now

• Advertisement

DE UPPER

Box Squats:
    60kg 2x3
    80kg x2
    95kg 6x2 (50%)

Sumos:
    70kg 2x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    140kg x2
    160kg x2
    180kg x1
    200kg x1
    *suit on, straps down*
    210kg x1
    220kg x1
    230kg x1
    240kg x1 - Straps down PR
    *straps up*
    250kg x1
    260kg x1 - PR

Good Mornings:
    40kg x12
    60kg x12
    80kg 3x12

Pulldown Abs:
    5x10

Hammer Curls:
    15kg 'bells x12
    20kg 'bells 3x12

PR day on the deadlifts. I decided during the week that I wanted to test out my pull and see where it was at. And then I went to Barcode last night and didn't get in until 4am.... I ploughed on anyway.

My raw strength's definately higher than ever. All the warm up pulls were crazy easy. Even 200kg felt like 100. I was a bit out of practice in my suit tho. It felt like every second set was sh!te. I was setting up with my hips too high and it was kicking me forward once the bar got to my knees. 250kg moved REALLY smoothly, so much so that I thought 272.5kg (for 600lb) might be on today. The 260 was uber dodge. I was told afterwards that I rushed it too much, I didn't pull myself down enoguh and my hips were up too high. Net result = dogfight for lockout. The bar got to my knees and I got the shakes, took a good 4 seconds to finish the lift from there. It wouldn't been a close call in comp, I know I didn't hitch it, but there may have been downward movement.

I'm gonna work in my suit now every second week for the foreseeable future, so hopefuly with the added form work and some extra training 272.5kg will go down in June or July. I'd like to pull it before I turn 22.

GM's were hard, didn't have all the much energy left.

I rigged up the pulldown abs a bit differently today, I used ab slings and attached them to a high cable. It actually worked real well.

Oh and I got most of the study my tax course done today, and got the results back from a strategic management lecture - 80%.

All in all, good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hanley wrote: »
    DE UPPER

Sumos:
    70kg 2x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    140kg x2
    160kg x2
    180kg x1
    200kg x1
    *suit on, straps down*
    210kg x1
    220kg x1
    230kg x1
    240kg x1 - Straps down PR
    *straps up*
    250kg x1
    260kg x1 - PR

What does one say to a session like a like that??

I know you were saying that it's not that much of a big deal but a 260kg deadlift is *huge*.

Your progress since the worlds in '06 has just been phenomenal...Go You!!! :)

Malteaser! wrote: »
    What does one say to a session like a like that??

OW!! (I am SO sore today)
    I know you were saying that it's not that much of a big deal but a 260kg deadlift is *huge*.

Ah yeah, but it's no 272.5kg!!

Decided to take a roadtrip to TF Sandyford today with Malteaser to try it out, had to use a different bar than normal for all exercises and it's one I believe is 23kg. For the purpose of the log, 20kg is assumed.

DELOAD UPPER

Bench:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x6 - PR

Dumbbell Floor Press:
    37.5kg 'bells x15, 12, 9

Military Press:
    40kg x8
    50kg x8
    60kg x8

*one big superset*
    Pulldowns x15
    Dead Hang Chins x8
    Pulldowns x15

Paused Shrugs:
    37.5kg 'bells x15
    47.5kg 'bells 3x15

Happy enough with the workout. I was on a ****ty bench with a spotter I'd never used before. The bar was mad slippy etc etc....

The dumbbell floor presses were really cool. I could really feel them working my chest hard, which is unusual for me. I think they're a keeper. I'll go after 3x15 with 37.5 after board presses on ME day before I move up in weight.

Shoulders were dead by the end of it. Might be an idea to drop em back to 40-50kg and just do sets of 12.

Right now I'm looking for some size on my arms, traps and more width on my lats. So I'm gonna focus a bit of extra assitance work there.

ME LOWER

Box Squats (as low as the box goes!):
    60kg 2x5
    80kg x3
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    *belt*
    140kg x1
    160kg x1
    170kg x1
    180kg x1 - PR
    190kg x??

Beltless Squats:
    60kg x3
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    140kg x3
    160kg x6 - Ties PR

SLDLs:
    60kg x6
    100kg x6
    130kg x6
    150kg 3x6

Hanging Leg Raises (straight legs, as high as possible):
    3x8

Solid enough session off the box today. The 180 was clean and solid. 190 should have gone, BUT, I can't in good conscience claim it. I'm convinced I had it on my own because I was just past the sticking point, absolutely GRINDED out, but there was a slight touch on one side of the bar from a spotter. That's ok tho. It's my PR off a box that's 2 or 3 inches higher so it looks like I'm making improvements there.

Really happy with the regular squats. 160x6 4/5 weeks out and fresh gave me my PR squat in competition. So after a really hard ME workout and a max deadlift last Friday I'm happy to hit that. Hopefully get 7 out of it next week. Maybe 8.

I did 2 sets of SLDL's as normal, just a light touch on the ground with straight legs. Then on the 3rd set of 150 I decided to try something differently. Each rep was started from the ground with a dead stop like a normal set of deadlifts. It was a real killer. I like it.

I'll post the 190 vid later. It's worth seeing jsut to see the faces I pull and how red my head goes!!

Here's the vid;

Form's pretty brutal. I plopped onto the box and got really upright instead of keeping tight and the bar didn't move until I got back into position. I woulda liked to get the lift clean cos it was hard fought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Patto

Hanley wrote: »
    Decided to take a roadtrip to TF Sandyford today with Malteaser to try it out, had to use a different bar than normal for all exercises and it's one I believe is 23kg. For the purpose of the log, 20kg is assumed.

That is amazing, why do you think they are 23Kg? Are they an american 50Lb bar or something?

I won't be able to let this one go, there are a couple of scales in the gym I'm going to weigh one of them at the weekend.

Interesting feedback on TF Sandyford btw, the slippy bars is one I had never really given much thought myself but is certainly true.

Patto wrote: »
    That is amazing, why do you think they are 23Kg? Are they an american 50Lb bar or something?

I won't be able to let this one go, there are a couple of scales in the gym I'm going to weigh one of them at the weekend.

Interesting feedback on TF Sandyford btw, the slippy bars is one I had never really given much thought myself but is certainly true.

Make sure you weight them on a calibrated scales to get a true measure.

There's two different bars in TF:Blanch. One's a thinner sharper bar, the other's the thicker one (like the one in Sandyford). One of the instructors there said that he had weighed them one time and that the thicker bar was 22 or 23kg. So that's where my info's coming from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

was benching with a bar i taught was the norm 20kg, bench was sh*t hot they flew up, found out later that it was a 17kg bar haha

dave80 wrote: »
    was benching with a bar i taught was the norm 20kg, bench was sh*t hot they flew up, found out later that it was a 17kg bar haha

Haha it's the same in Hercs. We've a load of 20kg calibrated bars, but there's also one or two 15-17kg bars on the gym floor. I'm sure you can guess which ones are more popular with the posers!!

• Advertisement

DE UPPER

Bench w/ doubled mini bands:
    60kg x3
    70kg 3x3 (mid grip)
    75kg 3x3 (pinky on rings)

Bench Press:
    90kg x5
    110kg 5x5

Face Pulls:
    5x10 (3x10 with straight weight, 2 warm ups)

Shoulder Death (20 front raises, 20 laterals, 20 bent over laterals):
    5kg 'bells x 3 sets

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown:
    plate 75 x 15-12-10rp

Bar speed was good on the DE benches today. Kept the weight the same as last week and just worked hard on bar speed.

The 5x5's were good. Really solid with loads left in the tank. Couldn't consistently find the same groove that gave the spring loaded drive off my chest as last week, but I'll keep searching!!

I upped the weight on the face pulls to work my upper back a bit harder. When it gets stronger, my whole body gets stronger.

Chest was still really DOM'd after max reps with 120 and sets of 15 on dumbbell floor presses so all things considered it was a good day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What kind of weight do you do the face pulls with? I remember you mentioned previously that weight dosen't matter, as it is more of a "feel" movement.. still I'm interested.

BossArky wrote: »
    What kind of weight do you do the face pulls with? I remember you mentioned previously that weight dosen't matter, as it is more of a "feel" movement.. still I'm interested.

It's hard to say really. It varies from machine to machine (I've done them on 4 different machines and used 4 different weights all within 14 days of each other). I guess around 50% of the weight I use for pulldowns would be about right. Maybe a tad more.

I've upped the weight a bit on them today and will continue to do so to try and get some more strength into my upper back. I'm still feeling them tho, so it's not like I've gone so heavy that I have to horse it out.

DE LOWER

Box Squats: (new stance/form)
    60kg 2x5
    80kg x3
    100kg 10x2

Sumo Deadlifts:
    60kg x3
    100kg x3
    140kg x3
    160kg x2
    180kg 8x1
    200kg x1
    220kg x1
    230kg x1 - PR
    240kg x PING!

PING! = my hamstring popping. No idea how bad it is yet, but it looks like I shouldn't be out too long. It popped just inside the big heavy tendon on the outside of my right knee. It was literally a ping, no pain or anything. Walking wasn't a problem, nor was moving my leg thru a full ROM. I guess I'll know how bad it is in the morning. The stiffness and brusing should be a good indicator!!

I took my squat stance out WAY wide today and focused on sitting back much more and staying as tight as possible. It made a hyyyyoge difference. Everything was much better. I might have to try it out with gear on and see how well it works there.

The sumo's were going super well up until I tore my hammy. I was pulling my hips down alot more and workign really hard to arch my upper back. Again, made a large difference. Bar speed was greatly improved. 240 woulda gone, I would have given 250 a ride.

Alot of positives to take away from today even tho I came out injured.

In other news, I had my last day EVER of college today and in 2 weeks time I'll be finished my exams too. The big bad world awaits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Hows the swelling/bruising?

No brusing, no swelling. So that's decently good I think...? Full ROM pain free. I can squat wide and normal stance with no weight pain free.... Might just do some leg curls and some pull thru's tomorrow and leave it at that. We'll see.

ME UPPER

Bench w/ doubled minibands:
    60kg 2x5
    80kg x3
    90kg x3
    100kg x3
    105kg x3
    110kg x3 - PR

Bench:
    100kg x3 (paused)
    120kg x3 (paused)
    *shirt on (44 F6)*
    140kg x3
    150kg x2
    155kg 3x2

Dumbbell Floor Press:
    37.5kg 'bells x15,13,11

Seated Cable Row:
    plate 10 x12
    plate 13 x12
    plate 16 x12

Pulldown (done slow):
    65kg 3x10

Standing Cable Curls:
    plate 4 x15
    plate 6 3x15

Good workout today. Hamstring felt ok benching. The presses against the bands were good. All time PR's 117.5kg and I benched 137.5kg after I did that so hopefully I break it by a bit next week.

Shirted benching was good. Had the groove down well. All the reps touched and there's loads left there for next week.

Had a discussion today with one of the best bodybuilders the gym has turned out about how to widen my lats up. Nothing too fancy, just keeping it nice and simple. Gonna work hard on that and my biceps for the next 6-8 weeks I think!

REHAB LOWER (I guess you could call it...)

Squats:
    20kg 2x8
    40kg x8
    60kg x8
    80kg x8*

Ultra Wide Stance Squats:
    20kg x6
    40kg x6
    60kg x6**

Standing Single Leg Curls:
    Light 3x15

Standing Calf Raises:
    Light 3x15

Plate Drags:
    15kg plate 2x12

*Felt a bit of a pull here so I stopped. No pain, but I decided to be smart today and decided that one I felt ANYTHING I was shutting it down.

**Same story as above.

All things considered I'm pretty happy. Hopefully I'll continue to make progress over the next few weeks. My finals start on Monday and I've been spending from 9am to 7pm in the library for the last week and it'll probably contiune that way for the next 14 of 20 days so training will continue to be squeezed in as and when I have time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good luck with exam prep for the finals.

When are you competing again?

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    Good luck with exam prep for the finals.

When are you competing again?

It's looking like July 26th....

Hopefully I'll be lifting at 90kg.

Advertisement