Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Miseducation of Jimbo Slice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

excellent well done hanley...ill try and make it down to nationals to have a look..ill prob end up bring tom down anyways...

excellent well done hanley...ill try and make it down to nationals to have a look..ill prob end up bring tom down anyways...

Just don't bring that big truck of yours....

well i aint walking!!!!

Worked up to my opening squat today...

Squat:
    70kg 2x3
    100kg x3
    120kg x3
    140kg x2 paused
    *suit on straps down*
    160kg x3
    180kg x2
    *straps up*
    200kg x1
    *knee wraps*
    220kg x1
    230kg x1

Hanging Leg Raises:
    3x10

Pretty quick workout today. Everything felt good. Stretched out a bit afterwards and hung around to spot some benches.

Weight's at 98.9kg. Roll on the 27th.

• Advertisement

A nice easy workout today just to keep the body ticking over.

Hypers:
    bodyweight 2x20

Pulldowns (wide grip, palms out):
    2x15

Pulldowns (close grip, palms facing me):
    2x15

Pushdowns:
    2x12

Face Pulls:
    2x15

*about 20 minutes work of stretching for my hips and back*

Powercleans:
    60kg 3x3

Dead Hang Cleans:
    60kg 2x3

Checked my weight today, still under 99kg so it's all good there. Just gotta rest up and remember how easy I need to make my openers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Hanley wrote: »

Pulldowns (wide grip, palms out):
    2x15

Pulldowns (close grip, palms facing me):
    2x15

I take it you have a machine with detachable bars for them, my new place only has the machine with the wide grip:rolleyes: I take it I could sub the close grip one on the cable cross fly stations (the ones with the pull/chin up bars etc)?

I'm doing it on this sort of machine http://www.fitness-superstore.ca/images/York_comm/sts_lat_pulldown.jpg so I can just flip my hands around and keep the same bar on.

This is another GREAT lat exercise, and one of my favourites, I prefer doing it with a rope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8DjrvwOCm4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm doing it on this sort of machine
    This is another GREAT lat exercise, and one of my favourites, I prefer doing it with a rope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8DjrvwOCm4

Aye, you really isolate the lats and feel it. Never tried it with a rope though, just the rolling tri pulldown bar. Will give it a rattle though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good luck for the comp. I presume you are on tomorrow? What time?

BossArky wrote: »
    Good luck for the comp. I presume you are on tomorrow? What time?

Cheers! I'm lifting on Sunday. Lifting will probably start about 10.30 or 11 and run til 2 or 3. There'll be updates!

So here’s the story of my weekend...

I weighed in on Sunday morning at 98.7kg at 7.20am (which is pretty much my training weight, so I was glad to come in at that). I pretty much fell outta bed and down the stairs into the weigh in before going back to my stilll warm bed for an hour. My flgiht wasn’t up until about 11.30 so it meant I had loads of time to go and get some breakfast and have another quick rest to let the food settle.

The squat warm ups were a bit hectic. Everyone was scrambling around trying to find enough weight and get a good rack to use and as a result it was the most enjoyable experience and I had to take a couple of bigger jumps than I would like to have becuase we were running out of time before the flight started.

Once I got going under the bar on the platform everything just started to click together. I took 230kg out for my first attempt and did it easily. It could have gone either way with the judges but having got screwed last November it seemed like the powerlifting gods were smiling on me and I got 3 whites and my first PR of the day. I jumped to 240kg for my 2nd attempt which was really the ultimate goal for the day, took it a little bit deeper this time just to be sure and came out of it nice and easy for another PR. That left me with one attempt so I figured another 5kg’s would be sensible enough, so it was 245kg for my final attempt and to be honest it was probably my best squat of the day. I came out of it so strongly and it really looked like it could have been an opener. My squat training was just perfect this time around, so hopefully I can replicate it for the next comp and get some more PR’s.

I started my bench warmups about 15 mins before the rest of the flight because I knew I would need some time in my shirt since I’d only done 2 full reps in it before the comp. I raw-dogged it up to 120kg and stuck on the shirt for 140,150 and 160kg. None of which touched. I had put 165kg in as my opener and I knew there wasn’t a hope in hell of it touching so it was time to start worrying. I jumped to 170 in the warm up room and preceeded to dump it and had to have it pulled off me. I had no chocie but to take it again, I took it lower this time and tucked more and pressed it well. Changed my opener to 170 and headed towards the platform...

My first bench attempt yesterday was without a doubt the most nerve wracking thing I’ve ever had to do in comp thus far. I had a 25kg squat PR that I sure as hell didn’t want to lose because I bombed. So I just said screw this, lets go. I pulled the bar down towards my balls and threw it back towards my face for a good first lift and a 5kg PR. I pretty much dumped it on my stomach as you’ll see in the video but I maganed to recover and press it. I had no idea what I was gonna be capable of today so I took a safe enough jump to 175kg, touched a little bit higher and pressed it strongly for another PR. I hit 180kg in the gym months ago, but it was really raggy and not very clean press so I figured with nothing to lose today I may as well go for it. It ended up being a good choice and I pressed it well, with a little stall, for a good 3rd attempt and a 15kg comp PR. I tried 180.5kg for a european on my 4th attempt but I only had a 2 lifter break so I was pretty wasted going into it. I jacked the shirt up a bit it threw me off a bit. I touched in a good spot but threw it back too early and the bar ended up flipping out and the spotters did a great job. 6 for 6 and a 40kg PR on my subtotal so far.

Deadlifts. I was wrecked by the time these came around. Struggled thru the warm ups but pulled a good first attempt with 245kg. This is where things started to go downhill tho. The platform was rubber coated for the deadlifts so once all the talc and stuff started to fall offf lifers legs it started to get very slippy. They tried to keep it was clean as possibe but it just wasn’t happening. I took 255kg on my second attempt and pulled it really easily to my knees, but as I did that my left foot started to slide. I ended up damn near doing the splits, dropping the weight on my left leg and smashing up one of my right toe’s pretty badly. Not only that but I went forward with the bar as it hit the groudn and just end up in a big heap. I have a pretty bad bruise under my arm for where i smashed off the bar on the way down too. I retook 255kg for my 3rd attempt but I was just too wrecked at that stage to finish the lift.

So I ended up with a 25kg squat PR, 15kg bench PR, 35kg PR total and 7 PR’s in total thru out the day. I went 6 for 6 on the squats and benches and really thought I was on course for a 9 for 9 day. Not to worry tho, there’s lots more to come in June.

I have to say a MASSIVE thanks to my fantastic girlfried for putting up with me thru all of this and for driving me down to the comp. Also it couldn’t have been done witout my fantastic training partners who both had massive days themselves. And last but not least I’d have to thank the other lifters form the gym who came down to help out with warm ups and equipment.

Here’s a vid from the day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Junsms_mWVU

Watch this space... there’s alot more to come in June.

Me likes that! Good lifting at the weekend, pity bout the floor when DL. What's your next target 730-750?

Leon11 wrote: »
    What's your next target 730-750?

Sh!t no.... That could take 2 years. The next goal's to break 700kg. And a 200kg bench. One or the other should happen in June.

My bad, so at your level what would be an average gain in competitions? 10-15kgs?

Leon11 wrote: »
    My bad, so at your level what would be an average gain in competitions? 10-15kgs?

How long is a piece of string. 15-40kg maybe.

Today;

Bench:
    60kg x4
    80kg x4
    100kg 6x4

Close Grip Bench:
    80kg 5x5

Paused Bench:
    90kg 3x6

Pushdowns:
    3x20

Chest Supported Rows:
    75 5x12
    But sssshhhh, don’t tell anyone ;)

Hanley you werent kidding when you said the video was funny!! your lifts looked easy lad...i think the weight wasnt the limiting factor on the bench i think you just need more time in the katana....

Hanley you werent kidding when you said the video was funny!! your lifts looked easy lad...i think the weight wasnt the limiting factor on the bench i think you just need more time in the katana....

Aye... The shirt had ZERO jack on the 180 attempt. I pulled the slack out of it and lifted up my arms so the collar was riding high before I closed my belt. As I was setting up I could feel the collar on my throat. Once I start to work with the collar down and get some more lockout strength things will pick up rapidly. Like I said, I will press 200kg in that shirt. It doesn't seem so arrogant now eh?? :p

The funniest part about hte vid was at the end, as I was lying there in a superman position I let out this big huge laugh. You can't hear it on the compilation. I might upload it on it's own later. It could become a youtube classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I still think you're insane for going back into the gym so early. Fair play, few would have that level of dedicaion.

I said it already but that was the scariest comp I'd ever been to, I was genuinely afraid you wouldn't be able to touch in that shirt, it ended up going fantastic but the nerves coming up to it were definately the worst I've felt!!

Congratulations, a 700kg total will be yours in no time!! :)

PS. You stalling it to the gym today?? ;)

• Advertisement

Aye... The shirt had ZERO jack on the 180 attempt. I pulled the slack out of it and lifted up my arms so the collar was riding high before I closed my belt. As I was setting up I could feel the collar on my throat. Once I start to work with the collar down and get some more lockout strength things will pick up rapidly. Like I said, I will press 200kg in that shirt. It doesn't seem so arrogant now eh?? :p

The funniest part about hte vid was at the end, as I was lying there in a superman position I let out this big huge laugh. You can't hear it on the compilation. I might upload it on it's own later. It could become a youtube classic!

ill get into a flat bench katana in the summer for now im happy with my f6.....i just dont do arch!!!

ill get into a flat bench katana in the summer for now im happy with my f6.....i just dont do arch!!!

I'm actually gonna flat back all my benches for the next 4-8 weeks. Not really any great reason for it other than to break things up. I figure it might hit my chest a little bit more and maybe give me some extra power off the chest which can be transfered over when I go back to a tight arch set up.

I'm actually gonna flat back all my benches for the next 4-8 weeks. Not really any great reason for it other than to break things up. I figure it might hit my chest a little bit more and maybe give me some extra power off the chest which can be transfered over when I go back to a tight arch set up.

go way out of that you just know flat benching is the way forward...this whole arching crack is cheating ha ha....

its not a bad idea actually considering your arch is huge dropping to flat chest should give you a couple of more inches..

Deadlift (conventional, beltless):
    60kg 2x5
    100kg x5
    140kg 5x5

Chuck V Rows:
    3x15

Face Pulls:
    3x15

Not even worth writing down. But that's what I did.

Power Snatch:
    40kg 2x3
    50kg x3
    60kg 3x3

Bench:
    60kg x8
    80kg x8
    95kg 3x8

Incline Dumbbell Press:
    30kg 'bells x10, 2x8

Standing Press:
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x5
    40kg x15

Overhead Rope Extenstions:
    3x15

Barbell Curls:
    20kg x12
    30kg 2x12, 1x20

Seated Dumbbell Curls:
    15kg 'bells 2x10, 1x15

Feeling weak as a kitten today. My tricep's are still a bit fried from the weekend. Power off my chest and shoulders was good, locking out wasn't. Still tho, decent workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Lemme get this straight, in the three days since your competition you've been to the gym three times???

Just as well you don't 'believe' in over-training!!! :rolleyes:

Box Squat (below parrallel, beltless):
    60kg x5
    70kg x5
    80kg x5
    90kg x5
    100kg 3x5

Front Squat:
    60kg x3
    80kg x3
    100kg 3x3
    105kg x3
    110kg x3

Power Cleans:
    50kg x3
    70kg x3
    80kg x3
    90kg x3
    95kg x1
    100kg x1
    105kg x1
    107.5kg x1
    110kg x1

Cleans:
    50kg 2x3
    60kg x3
    70kg x3
    80kg x3
    90kg x3
    100kg x3

Just a nice easy workout to get back into the swing of things. I think the box squats will be good to me.

Video's from today...

Last set of box squats

100kg x3 cleans (there's alot of training discussion at the start, best to ignore it tbh)

well lad...your rocking too much on your box squats as in your rocking forward when you drive off the box...next time concentrante on coming straight off the box...

• Advertisement

Bench:
    60kg x4
    80kg x4
    100kg x4
    110kg 6x4

Close Grip Bench:
    90kg 5x5

Paused Bench:
    100kg 3x6

Pushdowns:
    50 x20
    55 x20
    60 x20

Chest supported Rows:
    97.5 5x12

Might not look like much on paper, but it was VERY demanding.

Advertisement