Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Gallery *No Discussion*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hi V, have you tried uploading with Photobucket? Its good at resizing them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks a mill for the advise Steyr, here are a few more for yeh, hope you like 'em.

We took a flight around part of Vancouver Island, fantastic time, and a along came an Otter to fly along side us for a while. Our pilot Bryan, told us that it was unusual for them to fly together and if we would e-mail him a copy of the photos, so I did. From what I hear from Bryan, no one else e-mailed any photos to him, typical eeh (real Canadian slang that)

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Just a few more.

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

That's the lot, hope you like 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

100008_Dock.jpg

forgot to mention, thats the Number 5 painting hanger here in Lufthansa technik in Hamburg.

Two 747s as you can see comfortably fitting in the hanger. both are jacked off the ground with landing gears removed.

Normally, taking photos here is strictly forbidden. (because they are generally privatly owned planes) but, this was for a power point presentation and is allowed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wow, that must require one hell of a spray can:D

Nice photo:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Seriously now, what size of paintbrush are yous using?

interesting fact;

both the 747-200 (foreground) and the 747-400 (background) like most other planes reqire two coats of green primer and one coat of paint. so three coatings in all.

ONE coating of primer on JUST the vertical stabalizer on the tail weights up at 85kg :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the paint job on a C5 Galaxy weighs upwards of 5 tonnes...

That's a lot of make up for a big lady

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Silenceisbliss just wondering are the corporate logos masked out and sprayed on or are vinyl graphics used on the aircraft?

interesting fact;

both the 747-200 (foreground) and the 747-400 (background) like most other planes reqire two coats of green primer and one coat of paint. so three coatings in all.

ONE coating of primer on JUST the vertical stabalizer on the tail weights up at 85kg :eek:

Sorry totally OT, but just out of curiosity:

Is there such a thing like degreasing the airframe before the paint application or sanding between the coats?
    And one more thing what make of paints are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Silenceisbliss just wondering are the corporate logos masked out and sprayed on or are vinyl graphics used on the aircraft?

Good question. Also how long normally until a repaint is needed?

Do you know the approx cost of repainting an aircraft? (am thinking in terms of A320/B737 size) Would love to see EI bring out a Retro Livery on a A320 for their 75th anniversary.

For all of the following, Ill ask my friend here (he worked in the painting dept for 8 years) on monday, until then, I can give you what i think is the correct answer

Im pretty sure they're masked out and painted on. I was in at a 747-400 earlier which was bare naked aluminium and the tail was only half sanded off. (the tail is like fibre glass or something so it takes a while and is difficult to strip of pain)
    FiSe wrote: »
    Sorry totally OT, but just out of curiosity:

Is there such a thing like degreasing the airframe before the paint application or sanding between the coats?
    And one more thing what make of paints are you using?

not OT, have you SEEN a 747-400 tail vertical stabiliser up close??...it's MASSIVE surface area to cover. besides, a friend whos doing it now for 8 years told me this and he had to submit reports with this info on it.

and yes, they use a degreaser. it's a paint softener (not stripper) it's called aerobrite or briteall or something (can't remember exactly). it's applied to the aluminium before painting to degrease and therefore maximise adhesion between aluminium and paint.

usually that paint softener (i'll also find out what it's called on monday) is only applied to the fuselage and the wings are only sanded down. this is for financial reasons but if alot of corrosion is found on the wings, then they too will be treated with the paint softener.

make of paint....no idea. I'll find out
    Bramble wrote: »
    Good question. Also how long normally until a repaint is needed?

Do you know the approx cost of repainting an aircraft? (am thinking in terms of A320/B737 size) Would love to see EI bring out a Retro Livery on a A320 for their 75th anniversary.

NORMALLY, a commercial airplane has a decheck either every 8 or 10 years (depending on model) in this time, a complete overhaul is carried out. it's incredably thourough, the window are poped out and inspected, the entire plane is stripped down to its fuselage. NORMALLY, painting is only carried out during this process while the plane is grounded. But then there's the VIPs who request more frequent paint jobs and planes from gulf states sometimes need to come in early due to corrosion. For example, Colonel Gedaffy's (spelling?) plane is in at the moment for decheck and the thing is seriously riddled with corrosion due to sahara sands which accelarate the corrosive process.

but 8 or 10 years as standard

I have no idea about the cost of repainting! i'll ask on monday.

hope this satisfies your curiousity for now, until monday it will have to suffice. PM me if I forget to post up.

so

corporate Logos - masked and painted?
    name of paint degreaser
    sanding between coatings
    make of paint
    and total cast.

i'll find out the above on monday (day off tomorrow here in germany by the way, thats why I cant ask tomo.)

but any questions on landing gears, and I'm your guy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

V Bull wrote: »
    Just a few more.

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

That's the lot, hope you like 'em.

Are those guys operating out of Vancouver harbour ?
    Yeah have to say that part of world is probably float plane capital of the world. For anyone that has never flown floats, you don'tknow what you are missing :D
    Did you just fly or did you drop into anywhere ?
    If you fly up along the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland you can sometimes spot killer whales going through.
    Sadly all I ever saw was kayakers and the odd Bald Eagle.

Great pics of a beautiful beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Hey guys.Heres a few i took while on a cross country hour building in the states last week.I was on the ramp at Amarillo airport Texas.There were 2 F-18s ,a C and a Super Hornet, and an F-5 sitting next to my 152 (boy did i feel inadequate).I didnt have my camera on me so snapped these on my very sub par camera phone.Super Hornet driver was there and let me sit in the cockpit.Amazing.The F-18C was from a aggressor squadron.Guess what aircraft he simulates in war games
    SU-27.Momentarily thought it was one from a distance.

DSC00022.JPG
    Super Hornet

DSC00024.JPG
    Charlie Model

Ockham wrote: »
    Hey guys.Heres a few i took while on a cross country hour building in the states last week.I was on the ramp at Amarillo airport Texas.There were 2 F-18s ,a C and a Super Hornet,Charlie Model

Now that is impressive....to get into the cockpit of a Hornet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Nice, in the Su-27 colours with the ruskie red stars aswell. Sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

That is sssssssssssssssssssssssweet. The lads in the military forum might appreciate them aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

nice shots man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Was supposed to be going down to the South Island today with about 20 others for a day of competitions but sadly the poor early morning weather kept us landbound until lunchtime. I got up in the back of a 172 for an hour with another student doing circuits including a power off landing and 300ft low-level circuit that was fun! Managed to get a lesson in myself then afterwards for an hour in the tommy :)

Air NZ 737
    2914588926_47005ca65a.jpg

Takeoff from 16
    2914589140_4ebbdeafd6.jpg

Welly Airport
    2913746613_beb713497e.jpg

2914591448_24cdc2938d.jpg

2913749533_7465656dab.jpg

2914593394_1ea67b0241.jpg

Wellington City as we come in to land
    2913752971_79d628cfd4.jpg

2913753297_6095fa8a84.jpg

more to follow :

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

One of the places I have to go to before I die!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Some fantastic scenery! I'd love to be training there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

pclancy wrote: »

Air NZ 737
    2914588926_47005ca65a.jpg

Definitely not a 737, it's an Airbus A320.

so

corporate Logos - masked and painted?
    name of paint degreaser
    sanding between coatings
    make of paint
    and total cast.

i'll find out the above on monday (day off tomorrow here in germany by the way, thats why I cant ask tomo.)

but any questions on landing gears, and I'm your guy ;)

righto,

corporate logos - giant stencils stuck on and painted through. multi coloured logos have different layered stencils and the colours are done in different stages. problem with it is that the stencils are cut on a flat table, but the plane surfaces are curved, so you get runoff, which is fixed by hand with a thin nozzle of spray.

name of paint degreaser - there are loads depending on the type of paint already on the plane, or how much paint has to be removed, different operating temperatures, and it usually goes down to the customer specification on which to use.

sanding between coatings - depends. normally primer one kind of etches into the aluminium (emphasis on KINDA, because ethant primers are not used any more) so primer one sticks very well to the aluminium. primer coating two is chemically designed to bond to primer one and afterwards leaves a kind of fuzzy or rough finish. cheapest and fastest method is to paint straight onto the rough primer 2, although for a better paint finish, primer 2 can be wet sanded with 400grit.

make of paint - again there are loads and it depends on customer specification and preference. cheap and fast can have one coat, VIP can have upto 3 coats of very thin expensive paint for best finish. Loads of types of paints though. there is no perfect paint, they even have a Lab here in lufthansa which is working on creating new paints.

Cost - didn't get an exact figure, but a ball park figure for a 747-400 for everything (thats around 10 days hanger rental, paints, softeners, man hours, logistics, everything) tots up at around 250,000.
    also, only 10 days for a 747-400 to be completely finished...surprised the heck outta me!

righto,

corporate logos - giant stencils stuck on and painted through. multi coloured logos have different layered stencils and the colours are done in different stages. problem with it is that the stencils are cut on a flat table, but the plane surfaces are curved, so you get runoff, which is fixed by hand with a thin nozzle of spray.

name of paint degreaser - there are loads depending on the type of paint already on the plane, or how much paint has to be removed, different operating temperatures, and it usually goes down to the customer specification on which to use.

sanding between coatings - depends. normally primer one kind of etches into the aluminium (emphasis on KINDA, because ethant primers are not used any more) so primer one sticks very well to the aluminium. primer coating two is chemically designed to bond to primer one and afterwards leaves a kind of fuzzy or rough finish. cheapest and fastest method is to paint straight onto the rough primer 2, although for a better paint finish, primer 2 can be wet sanded with 400grit.

make of paint - again there are loads and it depends on customer specification and preference. cheap and fast can have one coat, VIP can have upto 3 coats of very thin expensive paint for best finish. Loads of types of paints though. there is no perfect paint, they even have a Lab here in lufthansa which is working on creating new paints.

Cost - didn't get an exact figure, but a ball park figure for a 747-400 for everything (thats around 10 days hanger rental, paints, softeners, man hours, logistics, everything) tots up at around 250,000.
    also, only 10 days for a 747-400 to be completely finished...surprised the heck outta me!

Thanks, cool stuff there. fair play to you.
    It must be a real pain in the neck to wet sand such a large area... And so must be ordering of different brands of paints.
    Especially when every brand has a slightly different procedures of application, flash-off time, curing time etc...

FiSe wrote: »
    Thanks, cool stuff there. fair play to you.
    It must be a real pain in the neck to wet sand such a large area... And so must be ordering of different brands of paints.
    Especially when every brand has a slightly different procedures of application, flash-off time, curing time etc...

ya, no bother. any time.

seemingly the biggest pain in the arse is removing the degreaser/paint sludge. very toxic, heavy, corrosive messy stuff. have to make sure none of the stuff goes anywhere it's not upposed to. have to heat the hanger up to 40+ celcius all the while working in complete chemical resistant overalls and breathing apparatus. hot suffocating work.

no bother though, i was interested in asking those questions aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'll bung this in here cos there isn't really a right place to say this.

When we were taxiing to stand at Heathrow this morning we went past the Singapore Airlines A380. I had an aisle seat so couldn't really get a decent view. (Which is my excuse for not getting a photo, sorry Steyr!)

How do I put this, it err, didn't look very big. I mean, obviously it is huge, but I was expecting it to be much bigger than a 747 and it didn't seem to be. I think the paint job hiding the lower windows might make it look smaller or something, dunno.

Just a tad larger than the A320 I was on though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

When we were taxiing to stand at Heathrow this morning we went past the Singapore Airlines A380. I had an aisle seat so couldn't really get a decent view. (Which is my excuse for not getting a photo, sorry Steyr!)

How do I put this, it err, didn't look very big. I mean, obviously it is huge, but I was expecting it to be much bigger than a 747 and it didn't seem to be. I think the paint job hiding the lower windows might make it look smaller or something, dunno.

Just a tad larger than the A320 I was on though:D

Ya, saw it first back in 2006 and was a bit underwhelmed!! They're not that much bigger than a 747 though, so they were never going to be majorly frightening! Compare back in the day the biggest was a 707 and then the 747 came along!! That was a major upgrade in size! There's a pic of the A380 beside a 747 in JFK, and the size difference isn't massive.
    I think I'm only going to be impressed with size when I see an AN225.
    I suppose the A380 is kind of like Brian O'Driscol. Doesn't look that big until you stand right beside him!

• Advertisement

When we were taxiing to stand at Heathrow this morning we went past the Singapore Airlines A380.
    How do I put this, it err, didn't look very big. I mean, obviously it is huge, but I was expecting it to be much bigger than a 747 and it didn't seem to be

Have seen this many times at LHR. I often think it looks like a chubby B737.

Heres a pic of it beside a B747:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/2873051062/

Heres a link to a discussion on this topic. My fav is post 5:
    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4168161/

Advertisement