Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Gallery *No Discussion*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah true it doesnt look that massive beside a 747 but it certainly does look more modern and somewhat "fatter" face to face. Inside its a bit quieter and WAY more roomey then a 747.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Giant_Plane_Comparison.png

good for comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

righto,

corporate logos - giant stencils stuck on and painted through. multi coloured logos have different layered stencils and the colours are done in different stages. problem with it is that the stencils are cut on a flat table, but the plane surfaces are curved, so you get runoff, which is fixed by hand with a thin nozzle of spray.

name of paint degreaser - there are loads depending on the type of paint already on the plane, or how much paint has to be removed, different operating temperatures, and it usually goes down to the customer specification on which to use.

sanding between coatings - depends. normally primer one kind of etches into the aluminium (emphasis on KINDA, because ethant primers are not used any more) so primer one sticks very well to the aluminium. primer coating two is chemically designed to bond to primer one and afterwards leaves a kind of fuzzy or rough finish. cheapest and fastest method is to paint straight onto the rough primer 2, although for a better paint finish, primer 2 can be wet sanded with 400grit.

make of paint - again there are loads and it depends on customer specification and preference. cheap and fast can have one coat, VIP can have upto 3 coats of very thin expensive paint for best finish. Loads of types of paints though. there is no perfect paint, they even have a Lab here in lufthansa which is working on creating new paints.

Cost - didn't get an exact figure, but a ball park figure for a 747-400 for everything (thats around 10 days hanger rental, paints, softeners, man hours, logistics, everything) tots up at around 250,000.
    also, only 10 days for a 747-400 to be completely finished...surprised the heck outta me!

thanks for the info fitting those masks on a curved surface on that scale must be a nightmare

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Bramble wrote: »
    I just need to get the Lufty one. Anyone else I don't know about?

Lovely pics. Don't know of any others in Europe.

Quite a few in the 'States. US Airways did some A319's with some of retro schemes (they call them throwback jets) of airlines they had consumed on their way to domination. Allegeheny, Piedmont and America West for definite, and probably others. American also did a retro, but I don't think anybody would notice. It was silver. With a slightly different AA on the fin.:D

Of course there's Qantas's unofficial retro in Travolta's jet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Don't know of any others in Europe.
    Spotted MartinAir retro B763 this morning at AMS. The Lufty (it will be mine)will complete the European collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/2927221766/

Bramble wrote: »
    I just need to get the Lufty one. Anyone else I don't know about?

had a meeting about this a while ago, its on lufthansas "to do" list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

IMG00438.jpg

awww, the poor lil 747 seems to have lost its engines....:(

awww, the poor lil 747 seems to have lost its engines....:(

That one is lucky. Look at the one to the left that only has its upper deck left!!

• Advertisement

looks like they both got in a fight...one of those "you shoulda seen the other guy" stories...

CIMG2102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

forgot to mention, thats the Number 5 painting hanger here in Lufthansa technik in Hamburg.

Two 747s as you can see comfortably fitting in the hanger. both are jacked off the ground with landing gears removed.

Normally, taking photos here is strictly forbidden. (because they are generally privatly owned planes) but, this was for a power point presentation and is allowed. :D

Yeah, I know this camera problem from personal experience! I was there for my last job for the last few days of March last year, and my camera ended up behind the desk in that reception area with the wing-shaped roof beside the vents for the engine testing sheds until I came back out on day one - didn't bother after that. To be honest, though, that wasn't that strange (except for the luggage and clothing x-rays and metal detector scans) - everywhere I went for that job was like that - well, at least after September 11th 2001, anyway.

Meh. Anyway. This is about photos, so here are some of mine - starting with a big bird - an Antonov AN-124, taken at Dublin airport (you can just see the cab of an articulated truck at the tail of the plane, if you look hard):

2315956586_2004299ca5.jpg?v=0

I also have some military aircraft photos in an album I took at the Some photos from the Aviation Pavilion of the Royal Museum of the Army and Military History in central Brussels (well worth a visit, btw, especially if you're also into cars, as there's a good car museum 50 yards away):

Mk. IX Supermarine Spitfire (with, I think, a C-119 Flying Boxcar behind it):
    2657314596_ea54794eb0.jpg?v=0

Junkers Ju-52/3m (above an F-16):
    2656487409_ac0757de07.jpg?v=0

F-4 Phantom II
    2657312588_dfa401fcb4.jpg?v=0

MiG 23 "Flogger-H":
    2657311976_0e1af0a4ec.jpg?v=0

Mil Mi-24 "Hind":
    2656484835_de87285abf.jpg?v=0

Douglas DC-3 Dakota/C-47B Transport:
    2656484249_1ed4214424.jpg?v=0

There are also sections of a Boeing 707 and a beautiful (complete) Sabena-liveried Caravelle there, but it's virtually impossible to get a good shot of the Caravelle because you can't get far enough away from it to take in the whole plane, and it is mounted on 40-foot-high pillars overhead :)

Hope you guys like,
    Gadget

Barajas on approach last Saturday.

CIMG2267.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ambasite

Thomond Park, Limerick:

SS850745.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

That would make such a cool room for a flight sim setup :)
    *Kol* wrote: »
    That one is lucky. Look at the one to the left that only has its upper deck left!!

CIMG2312.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

CASA CN-235-100MP Persuader - Casement

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

^^^ very atmospheric shot, nice one

Thanks! BTW, how do you embed an image into your post? i.e. not have a link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

like this:

[IMG~]http://urlofwebsite/photoname.jpg[/IMG]

(without the ~ )

there's a little icon when you're posting, yellow, looks like it has a little black triangle and a circle above it, clicking on that will help you out.

it's a good idea to upload your pic to photobucket/flickr etc beforehand and link to that image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

chewed wrote: »
    CASA CN-235-100MP Persuader - Casement

Was that in DUB on sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭teresasaunt

3069199023_8076d8313f.jpg
    November 29th, LHR

3070039386_e5c17c94dd.jpg
    November 29th, LHR

3069153635_8135ab5eab.jpg
    November 28th, DUB

3070005888_20176d8830.jpg
    November 28th, Over Galway somewhere

3069157117_f17981999d.jpg
    November 28th, On AA93 DUB-ORD

More - http://www.flickr.com/photos/aa_ff_dub/

blah wrote: »
    like this:

[IMG~]http://urlofwebsite/photoname.jpg[/IMG]

(without the ~ )

there's a little icon when you're posting, yellow, looks like it has a little black triangle and a circle above it, clicking on that will help you out.

it's a good idea to upload your pic to photobucket/flickr etc beforehand and link to that image

Nice one Blah. thanks.

2075080299_64d22d477f_b.jpg

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    Was that in DUB on sunday?

No. that was actually Nov 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

chewed wrote: »
    No. that was actually Nov 2007.

Sorry, I meant was the aircraft at DUB on sunday? How many of those aircraft do the air corps have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant was the aircraft at DUB on sunday? How many of those aircraft do the air corps have?

Thats taken from the inside of the CASA/Govt Jet Hanger at Baldonnel, and they have 2 CASA CN235MPA Aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What's the story with taking on a plane? are you able to just snap away while the plane is taxiing or taking off? is a camera not electronic equipment that could cause the plane to explode or whatever is supposed to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

What's the story with taking on a plane? are you able to just snap away while the plane is taxiing or taking off? is a camera not electronic equipment that could cause the plane to explode or whatever is supposed to happen?

Never had any problems with it and the Stewards have seen me taking piccies. Dont really think it's a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Do the CASN's patrol marine and fisheries etc?

Advertisement