Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I don't mind him having a chat with guests, treating them like mates. Graham Norton is very good at this. Unfortunately D'Arcy doesn't have the gift, he comes across as awkward and he can't help let his own views get in the way. Norton also knows to keep the banter focused on the guest whereas Ray tries to talk about whatever is on his mind. I didn't hear the Baddiel interview but he's been on before and I enjoyed him.

I think this is perfectly encapsulated by the little chats or banter he always forces on the 9am newsreader. Dempsey does it in the show before him and it comes across as relaxed and natural....then D'Arcy tries to copy it but it comes across as forced, awkward and bordeline embarrassing. I always get the impression that the newsreader is just dying to get off the air and away from him. Although it seems to have improved a bit recently which leads me to suspect they have resorted to scripting it at some level.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Does anyone have any stories on the fued between Ray D'Arcy and Ray Foley?
    They never seemed to like each other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

HooohRaaah wrote: »

Oliver Callan started a rumor that D'Arcy and Dempsey had an ongoing feud (which they denied)....but I have never heard anything about a D'Arcy and Foley feud. Although now that you mention it, I did often hear Foley and JP mocking D'Arcy in their Today FM days....I don't remember anything from D'Arcy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I've heard it's true

Heard Foley glued Ray's mug to his desk one day which prompted Ray to demand an apology in front of the entire staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

To be fair, he brought up the Peppa Pig thing again to because he was talking to David Baddeil... who is married to Morwenna Banks, the voice of Mummy Pig. They mentioned that twice in the interview.

Fair enough I didn't know who he was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

When Ray Foley was leaving Today FM, on his last day, Ray D'Arcy claimed that he wasn't aware of it. It came across as very petty. Everyone else was wishing Ray & JP well (being professional) and he pretended that he didn't know that they were going.

Foley, while he comes across as a bit of a pr1ck, always seemed to get along with everyone and always had good banter with the news/ sports people. D'Arcy on the other hand, doesn't. I always wonder how popular he is with the rest of the Today FM staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've heard it's true

Heard Foley glued Ray's mug to his desk one day which prompted Ray to demand an apology in front of the entire staff
    i hope by "mug" you mean head!!! Coz i wouldn't apologize for anything less!
    ha imagine ray broadcasting an entire show with his head glued to the desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

When Ray Foley was leaving Today FM, on his last day, Ray D'Arcy claimed that he wasn't aware of it. It came across as very petty. Everyone else was wishing Ray & JP well (being professional) and he pretended that he didn't know that they were going.

Foley, while he comes across as a bit of a pr1ck, always seemed to get along with everyone and always had good banter with the news/ sports people. D'Arcy on the other hand, doesn't. I always wonder how popular he is with the rest of the Today FM staff.
    And there was never a handover between shows, like there often is on other shows.

I always got the impression the Today FM crew see D'Arcy as an arrogant moanbag.
    Dempsey doesn't seem to have a rapport with him.
    D'Arcy got KC's name wrong numerous times. How unprofessional is that?
    Foley used to do a hand over to Tones Fenton. You could tell Tones loved having the craic with Foley and JP but nothing from D'Arcy to Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Often heard Ray Foley make reference to the Ray D'arcy show in a piss take manner mentioning things like, how they were always going on about fifty shades of grey and before that it was the secret, once or twice he referred to Mairead as the self appointed queen of the eurovision. I'd imagine things like that pissed little Ray off. Didn't he also have a semi public argument with Mario when he did a parody of Ray? Wouldn't mind only it was a spot on impression of him except it was funny!

• Advertisement

Ian Dempsey is a straight talker when it comes to putting Ray in his box too!

Ian Dempsey is a straight talker when it comes to putting Ray in his box too!

What has Iano said about Raymond?

Addle wrote: »
    And there was never a handover between shows, like there often is on other shows.

Very true, I completely missed that. I dunno, he just seems to be incapable of interacting with the news/ sports people. The other presenters will refer to something light or funny from the news, D'Arcy will fixate on something serious, give his opinion, disagree with the news reader, dismiss them and sight heavily.

Was he always this bad? I remember Dustin ripping the p1ss years ago on the Den calling him Moan D'Arcy but I can't imagine that he got any of his gigs with that little charisma and that self-righteous attitude. :(

What has Iano said about Raymond?
    i can't remember any specifics, now and again he just says something and I read between the lines! I started noticing when Mario first did a ray sketch and ray got onto them.

i can't remember any specifics, now and again he just says something and I read between the lines! I started noticing when Mario first did a ray sketch and ray got onto them.

It really is petty from Ray if he got on to Mario and Iano about the Gift Grub sketches

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

I was at the first test Gift Grub live show at the Sugar Club back in around 2008 and Mario mentioned that night on stage that Ray had asked him to stop the impersonations. He obviously refused. Everyone from Today FM was there that night. It was all a bit awkward. Ray was right down at the back of the room and everyone turned around to look when Mario mentioned where Ray was.

I like the Darcy show but what really bugs me is the timing of the ad breaks when there is an interview in progress. I know they have to have the ad breaks but they should be better timed to get a better flow of the conversation.

I also mention previously about Shave or Dye being an out-dated concept. It's a magnificent concept but it has run its course. It's time to do something new for the Irish Cancer Society when next year rolls around.

It really is petty from Ray if he got on to Mario and Iano about the Gift Grub sketches
    i remember the first one, i'd say the whole sketch was based on Ray entering the office ...ringing the buzzer talking on the intercom carrying his bike in etc!

i remember the first one, i'd say the whole sketch was based on Ray entering the office ...ringing the buzzer talking on the intercom carrying his bike in etc!

I'd love to hear that!
    Anyone have any links to any D'Arcy Gift Grub sketches?

Very true, I completely missed that. I dunno, he just seems to be incapable of interacting with the news/ sports people. The other presenters will refer to something light or funny from the news, D'Arcy will fixate on something serious, give his opinion, disagree with the news reader, dismiss them and sight heavily.

Was he always this bad? I remember Dustin ripping the p1ss years ago on the Den calling him Moan D'Arcy but I can't imagine that he got any of his gigs with that little charisma and that self-righteous attitude. :(
    With the newsreaders, he sometimes brings up something Ian has already covered with them.
    I always think that it's bad form that at least someone on Ray's team to know what's just gone on in the breakfast show.
    I'd have thought it would at least be on in the background in the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

With the newsreaders, he sometimes brings up something Ian has already covered with them.
    I always think that it's bad form that at least someone on Ray's team to know what's just gone on in the breakfast show.

That would be a bit ridiculous, having someone listen to the breakfast show just so any topics don't clash with what has or is going to be said.

Also I don't think there is any issue with ray & Ian. The time they had a special show to mark Ian's lifetime achievement to radio, Ray gave a lovely piece. Also Ian and his wife Ger were at Ray & Jenny's wedding.

As for the hand over, there is none from Ian to Ray, they just mention that Ray is on after the news, same from Matt to Colm, the reason there is usually a few words between foley and tony, and now KC & tony is because tony starts at 2.30, so there is no news in between, that said there is also none between tony and Matt!!!

I think some people just look for something negative to say, regardless of what the man says or does.

Don't get me wrong, there are times he drives me to distraction, especially with his sexual innuendo or interrupting guests speaking. Then again a lot of other presenters annoy me at times also. But overall I really enjoy the show.

It feels at times some posters wait for him to mess up so they can post here to bitch and give out about him. Rant over!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It feels at times some posters wait for him to mess up so they can post here to bitch and give out about him. Rant over!!!!

Isnt that what Ray does every morning. Read the papers, see who messed up and bitch and give out about it?

That would be a bit ridiculous, having someone listen to the breakfast show just so any topics don't clash with what has or is going to be said.

Also I don't think there is any issue with ray & Ian. The time they had a special show to mark Ian's lifetime achievement to radio, Ray gave a lovely piece. Also Ian and his wife Ger were at Ray & Jenny's wedding.

As for the hand over, there is none from Ian to Ray, they just mention that Ray is on after the news, same from Matt to Colm, the reason there is usually a few words between foley and tony, and now KC & tony is because tony starts at 2.30, so there is no news in between, that said there is also none between tony and Matt!!!

I think some people just look for something negative to say, regardless of what the man says or does.

Don't get me wrong, there are times he drives me to distraction, especially with his sexual innuendo or interrupting guests speaking. Then again a lot of other presenters annoy me at times also. But overall I really enjoy the show.

Does KC not introduce his show before the news starts at 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

KC does indeed introduce his show before 12, as do Ian and Matt before their respective news slots.

Ray is the exception to this.

Foley and Fenton used to have a bit of a chat during their hand over at 2.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just on the Mario -v- Ray thing. I definitely think there's some kind of tension there. I remember years ago Mario had done a really good Gift Grub that morning (or the previous morning) and lots of people were asking Ray to play it. He was very pointed about saying that he would have to get permission from the Breakfast Show to play it, something that I thought was strange at the time. He did eventually play it. (I think it was the "Dry your eyes Becks" one, which shows how long ago it was.)

Since then I've never heard any of the Gift Grub sketches being played on the Ray D'Arcy show. Tony Fenton always plays them, in fact, he's just after playing one a few minutes ago. Even Matt Cooper plays them every now and then.

Maybe it ties back into the Foley thing and Ray gets p1ssed off if sometime takes the p1ss out of him?

I have heard him referring to listening to Morning Ireland on the way in, again not terribly professional. I do get the impression that he just rocks up a few mins before he starts and isn't prepared for it at all sometimes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Meangadh wrote: »
    And although it's not strictly related to Ray- it's a bit lousy to hope they don't break the record for Shave or Dye. Jesus people are doing a good- and maybe even traumatic- thing for charity, fair play to them. If breaking the record gives either the funds or the participants a boost then that's great.

Agreed. And I hope my most recent post in this thread didn't come across as if I didn't want the event to be successful just because I find the record breaking thing a bit stale, because that wasn't what I was going for.

I actually enjoyed today's show a lot more than I thought I would today. Thought there was a good fun atmosphere, and had a huge smile on my face when Ray was like "WE'RE RECORD BREAKERS!". Fair play to everyone involved and especially to those who got their heads shaved.

On the Ray Foley thing, I think there's some genuine tension there. TBH I don't think Foley helps himself by continually (and aptly most of the time :P) taking the piss out of D'Arcy. They never seemed to get on. I remember one of the last record attempts that happened when Foley was at Today FM, the record wasn't official by 12 o'clock, so Foley was shouting at D'Arcy through the window of the studio to come in when they had a final count. When D'Arcy came in it all sounded so awkward and forced, not like the daily chats he used have with Tony at 2:25 which sounded like they were having the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Agreed. And I hope my most recent post in this thread didn't come across as if I didn't want the event to be successful just because I find the record breaking thing a bit stale, because that wasn't what I was going for.

I actually enjoyed today's show a lot more than I thought I would today. Thought there was a good fun atmosphere, and had a huge smile on my face when Ray was like "WE'RE RECORD BREAKERS!". Fair play to everyone involved and especially to those who got their heads shaved.

Tony Fenton played the clip of Ray celebrating the record and I have to say I was unimpressed. I can't really say why it just left me cold, I think Shave Or Dye is great campaign for a great cause and they do it well, getting people involved, hearing people's stories of cancer and why they're getting involved and showing support. To top it all off with a big cheer about breaking some petty world record just seems totally self interested and self promoting. The record thing just doesn't do it for me, completely takes away from the people and makes it all about Ray. This was highlighted by Ray's reaction.

All that said I wasn't hoping they'd fail, it's a great cause, and I also only heard a ten second clip of Ray whooping and hollering and I'm sure he brought it back down to earth eventually but there was a gloating tone to his whooping which I didn't like. I'll have to listen back to record bit in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tony Fenton played the clip of Ray celebrating the record and I have to say I was unimpressed. I can't really say why it just left me cold, I think Shave Or Dye is great campaign for a great cause and they do it well, getting people involved, hearing people's stories of cancer and why they're getting involved and showing support. To top it all off with a big cheer about breaking some petty world record just seems totally self interested and self promoting. The record thing just doesn't do it for me, completely takes away from the people and makes it all about Ray. This was highlighted by Ray's reaction.

All that said I wasn't hoping they'd fail, it's a great cause, and I also only heard a ten second clip of Ray whooping and hollering and I'm sure he brought it back down to earth eventually but there was a gloating tone to his whooping which I didn't like. I'll have to listen back to record bit in full.

Jaysis. You just sound bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I watched the record breaking attempt on live cam this morning, and I have to say it was brilliant. There was an interview with a lady who lost her husband two years ago (they were both on the show a few years ago talking about his cancer). She had her 3 teenage kids with her and you could see ray was genuinely upset listening to her and seeing the kids reaction. He tried to keep things moving along with sensitivity.

The reaction to the record breaking was amazing and if I had texted in I would have said "I'm watching ye here in my kitchen with tears in my eyes" as I had. The show went about 10 mins over so if it seemed rushed it probably was, but there seemed to be a lot involved. Almost every person there was touched by cancer in some way,and doing this record breaking attempt each year, allows them to give something back.

It was the shave or dye event that broke the record, it just happened to be on his show.

Apologies if I am ranting on too much, but this means a lot to me, lost both parents at a young age and many family members to cancer. This does matter to me and many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

God lately I seem to be giving Ray the benefit of the doubt a lot. I would agree that the lead up to the main event in the shave or dye campaign can get repetitive and he can grate a bit about world records, however, the amount of funding it's raised is fantastic and the D'arcy show has been a great vehicle for this.

I lost my dad to cancer last year and watched him fight a painful battle with cancer until the end when the poxy disease won, so any funds that are raised to fight this are brilliant.

I think he said it's over six million now! That's a lot of money and I would listen to Ray read me bedtime stories every night if it could generate that amount of cash for the cause.
    Through repetitiveness and constant in your face annoyance ;-) they have made this a high profile earner and I hope Ray is still forcing it down our necks next year :-P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement