Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    On Ian Dempsey they had a brief discussion about height with Iano saying that he is 6ft. I think it was Johnny Collins who disagreed and Iano said something like "We'll measure my height.. Oh wait that's a Ray D'Arcy thing"
    I honestly believe Ray is the laughing stock of Today FM.

Who's johnny Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Who's johnny Collins?

Pauls brother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Haha.. Sorry i got my names mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

Anyone got an idea of darcys salary ? Gotta be a lot more than the **** he deals is worth. Turned into a spa after he had a kid and turned into a total idiot since he got married.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heckler wrote: »
    Anyone got an idea of darcys salary ? Gotta be a lot more than the **** he deals is worth. Turned into a spa after he had a kid and turned into a total idiot since he got married.

I think I mentioned this before but when there was a big hoo ha over Bertie's wages a few years back Ray was reading something from one of the papers and I think he said that Bertie was on something like €250K. I don't why, but Ray then went on to say that his own wages were somewhere in the same region. Was surprised at the time that a) it was so much, and b) that he mentioned the amount, but he does work in the private sector so he's entitled to earn anything an employer is willing to give him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

mr bungle. wrote: »
    Pauls brother :)

:-) your here all week are you.lol

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think I mentioned this before but when there was a big hoo ha over Bertie's wages a few years back Ray was reading something from one of the papers and I think he said that Bertie was on something like €250K. I don't why, but Ray then went on to say that his own wages were somewhere in the same region. Was surprised at the time that a) it was so much, and b) that he mentioned the amount, but he does work in the private sector so he's entitled to earn anything an employer is willing to give him.

He asks most guests how much they earn. He gives out about how much politicians etc earn yet Ray gets in the region of €250k which is outlandish money for what he does private sector or not private sector. He presents a three hour radio show in a small country. He comes in totally unprepared for most interviews. If he feels the guest is beneath him (actors from Home and Away etc) He'll be rude and totally condescending to them. He'll then press a few wrong buttons. Play a song when its meant to be an ad break or play the news jingle when it's meant to be the Fix it Friday jingle. He'll sigh through the news headlines. He'll lecture someone on why the should run from Dublin to Kilkenny and then laugh when somebody says "boobies". He'll then go on about how great Brian O'Driscoll and Amy Huberman are. He's getting away with murder earning that.
    I'd imagine Jenny is on around €80k too so D'Arcy is hardly a man of the people that he tries to portray. I'm dying for the day when some guest replies back to Ray saying "How much do you earn?"

I did some accounts work for a previous Today FM employee who shall remain nameless and I was shocked how much they earned given that they weren't the main person on their given show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    He asks most guests how much they earn. He gives out about how much politicians etc earn yet Ray gets in the region of €250k which is outlandish money for what he does private sector or not private sector.

It's irrelevant, he doesn't get a penny from the public coffers so whatever he gets paid is no one elses business. If a private company pay a secretary 100k a year, whether competent or not, what's it go to do with you or I? Same thing for Jennys salary. It's has nowt what so ever to do with his show or how annoying you may or may not find him.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    It's irrelevant, he doesn't get a penny from the public coffers so whatever he gets paid is no one elses business. If a private company pay a secretary 100k a year, whether competent or not, what's it go to do with you or I? Same thing for Jennys salary. It's has nowt what so ever to do with his show or how annoying you may or may not find him.

Exactly. If he wasn't doing his job to the satisfaction of his (private) employers he wouldn't be there.

I also doubt he's earning that much now. I think they all took pay cuts a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Is anyone not entitled to earn anything there empoloyer is willing to give them regardless or sector. Are you telling me if you went to an interview in any job private or public you would say you know what you should not pay me this much lets reduce it.

• Advertisement

Is anyone not entitled to earn anything there empoloyer is willing to give them regardless or sector. Are you telling me if you went to an interview in any job private or public you would say you know what you should not pay me this much lets reduce it.

I don't get the point you're trying to make.

To him what others earn isn't irrelevant. From what I can remember he asked Ross Kemp a few ago how much he earned.

I don't get the point you're trying to make.

You said in the post as he is in the private sector he is allowed to earn whatever the company gives you my point is it does not matter what sector you are in you earn whatever the comany whats to give you.. Off topic I know for this thread. Just been pedantic

So Ray can ask a lot of guests how much they earn but we can't speculate how much Ray earns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You seem a bit confused with the point you're trying to make. Bazmo is saying that because his money is paid by the private sector through advertising revenue, it is irrelevant to the people of this country what he earns because it doesn't come out of our pockets through taxes or license money (although, I do think Today FM and other broadcasters can claim a miniscule amount of the license money). Whereas government ministers and the like get their salary direct from the public coffers.

You seem a bit confused with the point you're trying to make. Bazmo is saying that because his money is paid by the private sector through advertising revenue, it is irrelevant to the people of this country what he earns because it doesn't come out of our pockets through taxes or license money (although, I do think Today FM and other broadcasters can claim a miniscule amount of the license money). Whereas government ministers and the like get their salary direct from the public coffers.

What he said ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I always enjoy Dara O'Briain when he's on. He knows what to expect and he always seems slightly bemused by it.

This bit I do agree with as they set there wages I was coming from other workers in each sector not the ministers missed the bit where he specidically said Bertie first time around

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I always enjoy Dara O'Briain when he's on. He knows what to expect and he always seems slightly bemused by it.

Yeah, he always seems to look at Ray as being extremely parochial, which I suppose he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Dara O Briain is an example of how a balding man on childrens TV can go on to great things.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he always seems to look at Ray as being extremely parochial, which I suppose he is.

Oh, the irony ...

Speaking of; I've just realised that Simon Mayo's confession bit on BBC would probably suit Ray's show down to the ground

Jaysus, imagine having all those babys... (SHIVER)

Jaysus, imagine having all those babys... (SHIVER)

Another baby story?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pleb41

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Well he has been known to play it
    Oh I never heard that before. I thought it would be pointless with the language barrier

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Another baby story?

Not really, talking about big familys... kinda 10+ kids

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Good lord that's giving me a headache, are you giving out to baZmo because he's making the same point as you?

He's 100% right Ray is entitled to every cent of that as it's a private company regardless of what we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I'd be more curious as to the sense in paying such a lazy host vast amounts of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd be more curious as to the sense in paying such a lazy host vast amounts of money

Ratings. pure and simple. If he wasn't getting the ratings to justify companies paying money to advertise during his show, he'd be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Ratings. pure and simple. If he wasn't getting the ratings to justify companies paying money to advertise during his show, he'd be gone.

Then I supposed you have to question those that still listen to him! I have no choice because it's the office selection but I used to love the show back in the day

He infuriates me so much now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Somebody must must have mentioned to dara to calm down saying aaahh at the end of every sentence,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement