Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Its nearly impossible to tell what part of the echoes or bands is going to hit us due to the track of the LP.Now the stuff over N Wales could swing back to the Dublin area,the devon rain band could miss wicklow and glance south coast.Next radar image might give us a clue again.
    Play the loop
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looking at isleofwight its picking up alot of sferics, and 1 or so down south. The direction there going in looks promising even if it will be the small hours before (if) we see any activity. ;)

Hal can you not see the link to my detector in my sig?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This is why the GFS is indicating such heavy rainfall for the East Coast. The wind is going Easterly as the Low pressure moves to our South so I dont even know if we are going to get rid of the front. I also think the radar is showing pretty accurately the CAPE values.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn0611.png

Note that it becomes neutral just as it hits the zone of rain. Its the showers that are thundery, not the general band. I also dont think that band over Devon has a snowballs chance in hell of hitting any further north then Wexford and that even if it survives the sea (which it could because that is were CAPE + LI is best atm).

If its not pulled back before it hits the SE due to to direction of LP,but the cape is showing pretty well in the celtic aswell as SW wales of developing ahead of the "devon band".This could lead to some sister cells being developed well ahead of it.

• Advertisement

A couple of storms in the south Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The south midland of the UK seem to be getting a right belting today if this detector is to be believed:

http://www.blitzortung.org/index.php?station=2&mode=0&map=5&lang=e

The storms have grown in intensity in the past hour reaching from the west to east coast. Any chance of any of this spreading across the Irish sea to us over here? :p

Did reach us over here in the early hours of this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Things are really starting to kick off across the water now,
    http://www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/
    Rate up to 56 strikes per minute on this one
    http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light0900.htm
    Edit: Snowbie, do you know how he is recording +cg, -cg, +ic and-ic and yours only seems to be picking up only -cg?
    Edit 2: the strike rate is now up to 97 strikes per minute:eek:

134 striked per minute now:eek: surely this can't be accurate

The storms have grown in intensity in the past hour reaching from the west to east coast. Any chance of any of this spreading across the Irish sea to us over here? :p
    I doubt it, the slack low is nearly right on top of them, they won't be going anywhere very fast. Severe flooding in parts of Wales and England me thinks.

• Advertisement

trogdor wrote:
    Things are really starting to kick off across the water now,
    http://www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/
    Rate up to 56 strikes per minute on this one
    http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light0900.htm
    Edit: Snowbie, do you know how he is recording +cg, -cg, +ic and-ic and yours only seems to be picking up only -cg?
    Edit 2: the strike rate is now up to 97 strikes per minute:eek:

I posted this in a previous thread
    Snowbie wrote:
    The one i use and the stormtracker pci detects the sigs produced by lightning.
    The pci card can translate it into the cg/ic in both positive and negative.
    The ld-250(mine) can also detect cg/ic but only displays it as cg on screen as its built for chasing storms and not deciphering the class of strokes/strikes.Basically it means direct you on the road to the source of a storm and yours eyes can detect what lightning is what.

As the pci card is internal in desktop it is connected onto the main bus of your motherboard so it can translate signatures using the software,while the ld-250 is connected through a com port using usb or also to a laptop. while the pci is only for desktop.Both have pros and cons in both respects.

Snowbie wrote:
    I posted this in a previous thread

As the pci card is internal in desktop it is connected onto the main bus of your motherboard so it can translate signatures using the software,while the ld-250 is connected through a com port using usb or also to a laptop. while the pci is only for desktop.Both have pros and cons in both respects.
    Oh, sorry:o . Pity they couldn't combine the two different pieces of equipment:rolleyes: . That Uk speed traps site is recording a rate of 202 strikes per minute and over 3000 in a half hour. If only it was on this side of the sea:(

lol no bother Trogdor,yep be impossible to combine the two.One is built primarily for the chase but not always.I use mine at home most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Croppyboy is reporting thunder in carlow, did you pick any of that up on your detector snowbie? I've been watching skynews and it looks like the already bad flood situation is only going to get worse in a lot of areas as those thunderstorms spread north but no ones talking about them much. There's loads of white on the radar images and they appear to be moving slowly.

If you play the radar loop it's clear a shower is developing in that area and it sor of looks like it's edging northwards despite the other rain bands(to the west) moving south.
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

The rotation track suggests that this stuff is coming our way. Will it burn itself out before it get's here?

rc28 wrote:
    Croppyboy is reporting thunder in carlow,

Woohhhhhh rc, thundery showers, no thunder :p. There was a couple of little pink bits on the RTE radar they must have been it, it did look thundery, but no fireworks I'm afraid.

The rotation track suggests that this stuff is coming our way. Will it burn itself out before it get's here?
    The centre of the low is basically on top of the western tip of the showers, meaning that the band is rotating around that point, and that unfortunatly the band will have to rotate nearly 180 degrees to reach us, which it would do given enough time. Presuming that they do stay active for enough time to reach our shores the low will have progressed further east and will have pulled the risk away from us anyway...i think:D

Woohhhhhh rc, thundery showers, no thunder :p.
    Lol, then what does the "thunder" in "THUNDERyshowers" mean?;)

rc28 wrote:
    Lol, then what does the "thunder" in "THUNDERyshowers" mean?;)
    Rainfall thats equivalent to rain in a Ts.

• Advertisement

trogdor wrote:
    The centre of the low is basically on top of the western tip of the showers, meaning that the band is rotating around that point, and that unfortunatly the band will have to rotate nearly 180 degrees to reach us, which it would do given enough time. Presuming that they do stay active for enough time to reach our shores the low will have progressed further east and will have pulled the risk away from us anyway...i think:D
    Thats right,there is no chance of that precip heading our way.West to east track the LP is taking.If it where to go on a NW track well then happy days.

trogdor wrote:
    That Uk speed traps site is recording a rate of 202 strikes per minute and over 3000 in a half hour. If only it was on this side of the sea:(
    I think this might interest you Trogdor.These lads are in the US and apart of the nexstorm forum i use
    Blackjack52

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:23 am Post subject: Highest Totals: Strikes/min and Daily Total

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, but have been using/testing Nexstorm (with Boltek LD-250) for about 3 months. Excellent product Relko. Well done.

This thread is for highest daily strike totals. Just jee wiz. Please state if using PCI, LD-250, etc.

Jun 8, 07....99,309 strikes with highest count of 465/min using LD-250.

Back to top »

mattchase

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:18 am Post subject:

PCI Stormtracker
    315,926 strikes - over 1000 strikes per minute - 9-23-06

Most of those occured between 8pm and 11:59pm. The storm started at about 3pm but really took off at 8pm. The storm continued through the morning on the following day, logging another 63,000 strikes by about 7am. So if you take the 16 hour period from the start of the storm to nearly the end of the storm, it is actually more like 378,926 strikes. I can't really say if this is the most in one day for me, as I only have archives from the past 10 months. It probably is.

I'm sure I've seen more than 1,000 strikes per minute during a storm, but all of my most active archives hit 1,000 and then are pinned there for awhile. Is there something in the replay feature that limits it to 1,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Snowbie wrote:
    Thats right,there is no chance of that precip heading our way.West to east track the LP is taking.If it where to go on a NW track well then happy days.
    But if the rate of rotation is faster than the E->W movement then we might get something? I guess it's wishful thinking anyway. No mention of any excitement from MetE.

But if the rate of rotation is faster than the E->W movement then we might get something? I guess it's wishful thinking anyway. No mention of any excitement from MetE.
    Its too close to the main circulation.It will just back track over the same areas it deluged today unless the LP stalls well then theres a chance.

Theres actually two low's.
    Ours is the less active and least thundery.
    They are both slowly drifting away from us so that means less chance,actually zero chance of the Welsh and english midlands stuff coming here.
    The stuff we had last night in south wicklow and Dublin had this morning and early afternoon circulated around the main low and is now down over cork and the south west.

The England and wales stuff is circulating around the other low- too far to our east.

Has died down quiet alot across the water,lightning that is.A multicell storm which in fairness was exceptional in development.Again so close but yet so far.:rolleyes:

Snowbie wrote:
    Has died down quiet alot across the water...

Just seen on Sky news the damage caused by todays thunderstorms in the UK, quite substantial flooding! Heard too that the North got another pounding (rain) which obviously wasnt helping the already flooded areas.

Snowbie wrote:
    Blackjack52

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:23 am Post subject: Highest Totals: Strikes/min and Daily Total

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, but have been using/testing Nexstorm (with Boltek LD-250) for about 3 months. Excellent product Relko. Well done.

This thread is for highest daily strike totals. Just jee wiz. Please state if using PCI, LD-250, etc.

Jun 8, 07....99,309 strikes with highest count of 465/min using LD-250.

Back to top »

mattchase

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:18 am Post subject:

PCI Stormtracker
    315,926 strikes - over 1000 strikes per minute - 9-23-06

Most of those occured between 8pm and 11:59pm. The storm started at about 3pm but really took off at 8pm. The storm continued through the morning on the following day, logging another 63,000 strikes by about 7am. So if you take the 16 hour period from the start of the storm to nearly the end of the storm, it is actually more like 378,926 strikes. I can't really say if this is the most in one day for me, as I only have archives from the past 10 months. It probably is.

I'm sure I've seen more than 1,000 strikes per minute during a storm, but all of my most active archives hit 1,000 and then are pinned there for awhile. Is there something in the replay feature that limits it to 1,000?
    Wow, that'd be some experience. We'll just have to wait for GW to give us a tropical climate with hurricanes and thunderstorms:D :D:p

With the same front pushing northwards over us and the UK its producing Ts yet again over there but DRIZZLE here:D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hardly anything here but down near Gorey,I drove through a downpour (maybe 20-30mm/hr for a while around 4pm)
    Had the ipod on so I couldn't say if there was any thunder :D

Temp has gone up 3c almost in the sunshine in the last hour coinciding also with a wind change from south east off the sea to a land south westerly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement