Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Patches of blue sky in the clearance after the rain, beyond it to the sw I can see nice bubbly dark cumulus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thunderstorms developing over Britain and interestingly Wales so we could still get a rumble or two later.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn184.png

Heavy rain predicted for the East Coast tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes looks like extremely heavy rain to push into northern Leinster and Ulster overnight with some TS's likely to rumble through until early tomorrow.

I would say that up to 50mm of rain could fall widely across Eastern regions perhaps more in a few spots.

Thunderstorms really getting going now across England and Wales - Will we get imports as the wind goes increasingly Easterly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Its the upper level winds thats keep pushing them Northwards,also i dont think imports will survive the Irish sea crossing.Lower level winds are easterly circleling th LP.I hope im wrong though.Im getting a lot of strikes to the south of the country aswell.

Yes and whats to the South will be interesting potentially later tonight as things stall. It may well be slightly too far north of us (again!) though there is always a chance.

Getting windy here too.

Yep that clump just coming into the view of the radar just sw of scilly has TS embedded and is pushing directly north but will encounter increasingly cooler waters on its northern track.Who knows.Long evening?

Thats near the center of the low so I dont think it will be moving directly north..........getting very dark here now.

All gone quiet,even over UK and to the south.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Thats near the center of the low so I dont think it will be moving directly north
    Well Evelyn agreed with me:p Pulses of rain she suggested from the south for east and NE.

Lightning being picked up again in the celtic sea.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Heavier pulses of rain now crossing the Irish sea straight for Dublin....seems to have pepped up a bit.

Its intensified further and moving steadily across the Irish sea. Snowbie any sferics from it?

darkman2 wrote:
    Its intensified further and moving steadily across the Irish sea. Snowbie any sferics from it?
    Yup there's definitely more reds in that vs the 20:30 radar pic. Cant see anything on this though:
    http://www.irelandlivelightning.info/

BTW The metoffice have warnings out for the eastern side of NI for tonight:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

Nothing DM,and im surprised it has intensified.

Only one strike out of this so far,i cant see much more tbh:(

darkman2 wrote:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Heavier pulses of rain now crossing the Irish sea straight for Dublin....seems to have pepped up a bit.
    That entire band appears to be pushing westwards steadily.
    The first thicker part is imminent in Dublin.
    I'll be dry for a good bit yet but the rest of that will hit everywhere from Rosslare to South Down I think before dawn.

Sferics at 4am is not something I'd rule out.

A few strikes from a small cell just entering into cardigan bay atm.

Are those strikes near Rosslare accurate snowbie?
    It's not where they are headed that I'm interested in,it's the potential of the entire rain band in the same kind of conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Looks like a bit of activity coming up the irish sea now maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Tristrame wrote:
    It's not where they are headed that I'm interested in,it's the potential of the entire rain band in the same kind of conditions.
    Seem to be i'd say, as more and more are appearing. Fingers crossed:D

Tristrame wrote:
    Yep compared it to a few detectors and there is a clump SE off roslare and the one in cardigan bay has gone quiet now.

3 areas of interest.South of Roslare,one developing coming off sw Wales and the one still growing over cardigan bay.3 potentially to hit the se and east coasts.

By the way theres almost continous crackling on am radio here which is a good sign :eek:

That first clump of rain has totally missed here,just drizzle from it.

As I expected the radar is lighting up like a christmas tree:eek: :D

I say one main area of interest for later would be the line of intense rain over devon moving eventually in our direction.The SE should see this later on around the 4-5am as tristrame said earlier.Other than that there is little if any sferics from any echoes for now.

Spoke to soon,a lot of strikes now over Wales

• Advertisement

I think we really have to get out of the zone of the more general stuff just to the North. Alot of very heavy rain being reported in Northern England in that band but no thunder. The Action is always to the south of it. Good to see strikes over Wales though. Lets hope the radar recipricates that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement