Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

nope.
    it's not looking good for me.

Dont tell me you mentioned the travellers thing at the interview, doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Dont tell me you mentioned the travellers thing at the interview, doh!

sorry what exactly is your problem you sad tool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lilolil

Detective - Ignore him! People like that have obviously little else to do.... ;)

will do lil.
    when you rang up the garda appointments section, did they get your file to see if they had recieved the results? or just tell you to speak to the PAS?

No - Just told me to ring PAS! Did they look for your results? BTW - If you want to PM me do - saves others interfering! ;)

• Advertisement

sorry what exactly is your problem you sad tool?

all this country needs is another corrupt prejudiced cop

lilolil wrote:
    Detective - Ignore him! People like that have obviously little else to do.... ;)

except an honest days work perhaps ;)

ok. i'll pm you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭FGR

Ohh...Something going on here? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

Anyone have any ideas on the medical, ie how long it takes. Do I need a 1/2 or full day off work?

Thanks,
    NH

• Advertisement

I was told my medical will last from 9 until lunch time. Bearing in mind that it's in the Phoenix park you'd need to work fairly close to the depot in order to make a half day of it.

I booked the full day. If I didn't get the day I'd have had no choice but to call in sick or let them know that I've been accepted..One way or the other.

If I do well tomorrow I'll hand in my notice on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

make sure to update us on the process.

Thanks,
    NH

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dvoakes

i missed a phone call from a private number yesterday aswell as before when i got calls from the sargaent and the super. what does the medical entail does anyone know? and what's the maximum weight that someone can be or is it done in proportion? how does it work?

I'd say your general build is taken into account.

I'm well built - broad shoulders and 34 inch waist, 6'1 in height. I'd be very surprised if they hit me on weight, that is, unless I had a 34 inch waist and was only 5'2.

They'll hit you if you meet any of the unwanted criteria on the Garda website (Varicose Veins, poor eye sight and the like). There's also going to be blood/urine samples. Don't be afraid to take off your top, as you'll have no choice in the matter.

That said..Wear loose pants if you think your stomach will be buldging over your usual jeans. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

LILOLIL - Dont worry about the illegal brother - not only is it nothing to do with you it's actually nothing to do with the Gardai either. If the Boston police Dept. don't worry about it then I assure you the Irish cops won't either.

EVERYONE - There's a lot of information on the medical in previous posts lads - check it out!!

Does anyone think it's strange to have such a high eyesight requirment. 6/9 6/12 unaided is the highest I've seen for any police force. So many people fail because of it it's cruel. I feel genuinely sorry for them coz it's so treatable. And they don't even check for glaucoma which is far more serious. I think it's nuts anyway???

a bit of good news for anyone who hasn't got a phone call yet.
    was on to the garda appointments section again, and was told that the civil service still hasn't sent "loads" of applications on yet. but the interviews are finishing this week so we should have results from somone fairly soon.
    also, he said that we could make the may 3rd class, depending on how long the detailed background checks take.

re the background checks, he said they were very in-depth, and looked into not only criminal records, but criminal intelegence also, so if you are suspected of say money laundering etc, but never been charged, or are currently being investigated. basically stuff which wouldn't show up on pulse when your local sergeant did the original checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

was on to the garda appointments section again, and was told that the civil service still hasn't sent "loads" of applications on yet. but the interviews are finishing this week so we should have results from somone fairly soon.
    also, he said that we could make the may 3rd class, depending on how long the detailed background checks take.

re the background checks, he said they were very in-depth, and looked into not only criminal records, but criminal intelegence also, so if you are suspected of say money laundering etc, but never been charged, or are currently being investigated. basically stuff which wouldn't show up on pulse when your local sergeant did the original checks.

Detective

Did they say that the first batch of interviews are finishing this week(the 750)? already.... When is the next intake for templemore after 3rd May?

Late August/Early September according to the HQ Sergeant.

Sarah - Intakes are once every three months so I would imagine that February 7th - May 3rd - I would say first monday in August, or Tuesday if it falls on a bank holiday like Tuseday May 3rd.

Detective - Thanks!! I can relax now. I hope you here something soon.

I'm the same - You guys better get informed soon otherwise no one will understand what I'm on about if I mention Boards.ie in Templemore. ;)

EDIT: Will we be given a physical date on the day of the Medical? Will we be even told if we passed the medical ? Surely..

• Advertisement

Will we be given a physical date on the day of the Medical? Will we be even told if we passed the medical ? Surely..

You are told on the day of the medical if you passed it. Well, it's more that you're not told that you failed it if you get me. Nobody will come up and shake your hand and say you passed but if there were no complications then you can take it that you passed.

You are not given a date for the physical on the day of the medical but you will hear very soon from HR if you pass the medical. I was given a day to go to Templemore for an info day on the physical and then 1/2 week(s) later was the real thing. You ARE told on the day of the physical if you passed or not. Remember the PAS have nothing to do with you after you get your Stage 2 results. (Thank god I hear you say!!)

yeah sarah, the first 750 will have all been interviewed by the end of this week.

no problem oceallachain, glad i could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

Does anyone have a good example for the application form for the persuading others part........

That's great news detective! PG I'll hear something soon... :) Keep us posted! I take it your results aren't back then the way you are talking..

nope, they said they still hadn't arrived.
    I don't know who you spoke to when you rang up lil. but both times i have spoken to different people, and each time they have checked my file to see if it has arrived yet. and have been very helpful and friendly.
    maybe you got somone who was having a bad day?

for the persuading others one,choose an example where you had to stick at it for a while, i.e. they didn't listen to you straight away, and it took time for you to convince them.

Persuading others and taking charge
    If you have ever been in a supervisory role of any kind (eg. occupation) then this could be quite and easy question.
    Have you ever done a group project in school/college?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

Hopefully this applies to the rest of us who hasnt heard anything yet.

We might be succesful and called in for the next batch, which would be better in a way because you would be able to be organised, maybe get a bit on money together, holidays, travel etc. Im living on high hopes here. O the suspense is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

Just rang Garda HQ's, told me basically the same thing as the rest of u guys. He checked my file on computer and said that my results were not back as alot of others were not back either. Said that there going through the background checks and thats what the delays are, some checks are quicker than othes. Said that they were told that the results were going to be posted this week.

He gave me a number for the other shower of useless pricks in public appointments! Talked to some arogant guy just short answered me and said i shud hear within 2 weeks, la la la, same story as before, i rang them 2 weeks ago and they told me id hear within 3wks. im sure their sick of people ringing but they should be prepared for all those calls anyways.

Has anyone else heard anything??

• Advertisement

nope i still havent heard.
    my mate who sat the medical today passed, and is going for the physical next wednesday. they certainly move through the stages fairly quickly.

he told me he was talking to you foregone. hopefully you are not the guy who failed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement