Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cactus Col wrote:
    What is broadcast on RTE are bells ringing.
    RTE's viewpoint is exactly that, the angelus can be used as a moment to pray, or as a moment of reflection.

What I was calling ignorant is your (and other people on this thread) refusal to let it evolve beyond it's christian origins.

but the problem with that argument is that it isn't the actual Angelus that's been broadcast.

If people were saying that RTE shouldn't broadcast Mass on sunday mornings, I'd be in agreement.
    So Church bells ringing at 12 and 6 aren't actually a call to prayer then? :rolleyes:

Speaking purely for myself it's not a case of it evolving beyond it's Christian origins, it's a case of not allowing someone to slap a sticker on a black slate saying it's now 'off-grey' without calling them on it. If they want to broadcast a moment of reflection at 6pm , by all means do so but take away *all* religious elements from it (i.e. the bells). Not that I'd be in favour of a government body trying to provide me with spiritual guidance of any form tbh but at least it would be secular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Hate it. Can't stand it. Get rid of it.
    Its amazing that a topic on which many people couldn't care one way or another has generated close on 100 replies. I don't think that the angelus will be around in 5-10 years time (on TV anyway) and I think I'd prefer this than having more religious output on TV to include all faiths (anyone who has seen the f**kin awful heaven&earth show on bbc will understand)

Also has anyone considered how RTE will cope with having 1 minute less to prepare the news at 6. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Cactus Col,
    RTE 1...
    6.00 The Angelus
    6.01 The Six-One News

RTE certainly seems think they are broadcasting it...

Also, not that I want to tear this off in a new direction but, "Catholic Majority" isn't a fair term to use, as Mass attendance is at an all time low. If one does not attend every Sunday, one is breaking the rules and is therefore not a Catholic.
    PLEASE don't turn this threa into a bitch about that statement, just bear it in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

admiralgar wrote:
    does anyone have a link to the spoof angelus that played before bruce almighty in the cinemas, i looked but could not find it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJr-yN--bcM

Caused a small outcry at the time i believe

Also im pretty sure that the majority of this country arent particularly bothered by it, not even the minority of the Muslim community who shout oppression at the drop of a hat. Really dont see the problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Don't care.
    ColHol wrote:
    Also im pretty sure that the majority of this country arent particularly bothered by it, not even the minority of the Muslim community who shout oppression at the drop of a hat. Really dont see the problem with it.

So don't go around dropping hats, I don't see why you should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

It's biast to other religions, it has to go.

Don't care.
    No no no, it's biased towards calm, serenity and reflection at the "end" of the work day in our bustling economy.

Just look at what this random punter replied when asked his opinions on the angelus:

"6pm bells don't signal the end of work my little minions! Arbeit Macht Frei!"
    -Brian Cowen (popularly reputed quote with er, no proof)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It needs to be replaced with ads. That and a thorough sweep of RTE should generate enough to abolish the shameful €158 TV license

unkel wrote:
    It needs to be replaced with ads. That and a thorough sweep of RTE should generate enough to abolish the shameful €158 TV license

No. No more ads. Just start the news at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I say ditch this irritating, painful, crappy and dated relic so that the Churchs victims have one less reminder, and the rest of us can have a 6.00pm news.

- I'm also in favour of hunting down and torturing the creative brains behind the joke that is [was?] "A prayer at bedtime"

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote:
    the joke that is [was?] "A prayer at bedtime"

Was. It's been replaced with "An Evening Prayer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Leave it. It's grand.
    obl wrote:
    Cactus Col,

RTE certainly seems think they are broadcasting it...

Also, not that I want to tear this off in a new direction but, "Catholic Majority" isn't a fair term to use, as Mass attendance is at an all time low. If one does not attend every Sunday, one is breaking the rules and is therefore not a Catholic.
    PLEASE don't turn this threa into a bitch about that statement, just bear it in mind
    Sorry but that statement is just stupid. Since when do you no longer a catholic if you miss mass on a sunday? Come on you'd swear it's a cult or something. You'd want to get your facts straight before coming out with rubbish like that.
    How can you be so anti something you obviously don't understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Leave it. It's grand.
    Raiser wrote:
    I say ditch this irritating, painful, crappy and dated relic so that the Churchs victims have one less reminder, and the rest of us can have a 6.00pm news.

- I'm also in favour of hunting down and torturing the creative brains behind the joke that is [was?] "A prayer at bedtime"
    So this is political correctness, in your view?

This is what we should aspire to?

Is all the church has created is "victims"? Has it done no good at all? Nothing?

Welcome to tolerant 21st century Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Raiser wrote:
    I say ditch this irritating, painful, crappy and dated relic so that the Churchs victims have one less reminder[/I]

all churches should be knocked down too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Don't care.
    This is what makes Irish TV different to other countries. LEAVE IT!

what does it matter what other countries show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sleepy wrote:

Personally, I consider 60 seconds of ringing bells a mild annoyance (similar attitude to Fair City I must admit). It's the fact that the state broadcaster is providing airtime that I'm paying for to a religion that annoys me. It's the same as the Board of Education paying teachers to prepare children for their First Communion: a completely inappropriate (mis)use of public funds.

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Mossy Monk wrote:
    all churches should be knocked down too

you're joking, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Leave it. It's grand.
    It should also be a crime to be a priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

JCB wrote:
    So this is political correctness, in your view?

This is what we should aspire to?

Is all the church has created is "victims"? Has it done no good at all? Nothing?

Welcome to tolerant 21st century Ireland.

I dispise organised religion of any sort. Right with that disclaimer over with I'm seriouslly struggling to think of any benefits Ireland has had from being under the oppression of the catholic church.

In regards to the actual topic of the thread when I lived in IReland I found it offensive that a relgious view was being adopted by a national broadcaster. In regards to your sarcastic welcome to tolerant 21st Ireland its the ultimate hypocritical view. The angelus being of television is the exact opposite of tolerance.

There is supposed to be a seperation between the church and state.

++ to sleepys comments also

• Advertisement

Don't care.
    I can't believe people are putting forward the reason for banning this harmless, non-denominational, non-religious 1minute of television as bitterness towards the Catholics Church after sex abuse scandals.

That's nothing more than a scapegoat in my opinion. If anyone was really interested in making the Catholic Church pay you'd be insisting the government didn't pick up so much of their tab in paying for the sex abuse redress scheme, where the Catholic Church was asked to pay only about 10 - 15% of the expected total cost. That's not something I'm particularly happy about.

The Angelus... is peanuts. It's sixty seconds at the start of the news that anyone can watch without offense. It's clearly not about religion, it's about reflection, there's absolutely no harm in it. If you find offense in the Angelus, you better stay inside and wrap yourself in cotton buds.

InFront wrote:
    I can't believe people are putting forward the reason for banning this harmless, non-denominational, non-religious 1minute of television as bitterness towards the Catholics Church after sex abuse scandals.

1. I never said anything about the sex abuse. To be honest I think the church has managed to far more destructive things than the sex abuse.

2. Non denominational and non religious?!?!?!?!?! WTF

Don't care.
    They're bells, get over it.
    Santa has bells, do you really care?

InFront wrote:
    They're bells, get over it.
    Santa has bells, do you really care?

No they impose a religious bias on whats supposed to be a neutral broadcaster.

And any chance of actually backing up your comment of "non-denominational, non-religious 1minute of television" becuase I'd love to hear it.

4Xcut wrote:
    you're joking, right?

of course i was. it was a sarcastic response to the comment made by Raiser about the Angelus being a reminder to victims of abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

ChRoMe wrote:
    No they impose a religious bias on whats supposed to be a neutral broadcaster.

Hmmm.....I'm guessing that rte will also have to remove any references to Christmas as well for fear of being religiously biased towards christians. Any suggestions to what we could rename the good friday agreement while we're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well the powers that be in RTE seem to think its worthwhile for whatever reason, so if anyone feels strongly enough on the subject to start a campaign against it, thats your right and your more than welcome to. However, if the furthest you take thisis giving out about it on a website/to your friends, then im afraid nothings gonna change.

Like everything really, people are mad to condemn things but wont actually take action against them, so nothing ends up happening at all!

JCB, are you one of these self-righteous, yet no-Mass going Cathoics? Surely you play by the rules or you're out on yer ear? No? My uncle is a Catholic priest, who is of that opinion.

Jimoslimos, 'Christmas' is an officially recognised national holiday, with that name. 6pm is not officially aknowledged as belling ringing time.

ChRoMe, I too would like to hear an explanation for InFront's "non-denominational, non-religious 1 minute of television" statement. It's called 'The Angelus' for f*ck sake.

Don't care.
    Ok here you go. The words "The Angelus" mean absolutely nothing to me. I don't know what it means, and I don't care what it means. I don't care if they call it "Richard Dawkins Moment of Refelction" or "Anne Doyle's Curtain Call".

It's a nice, harmless, 60 seconds of reflection. It's a nice reminder to chill out: lofty, peaceful images of people doing this... is not denominational, and is not religious, and is certainly not offensive.

If it is one thing, in my opinion, it is an excuse for moaners with nothing better to complain about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It's just on so RTé can say they have six more hours of home-grown programmes at the end of the year

Advertisement