Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

Fayre wrote: »
    Looks great.

What did you do for sealing around the wet room shower? I have two of these in my house and trying to decide what way to seal them. Decided to go with the classy seal on the shower tray but unsure with the 2 wet rooms

The gravel around the edge of the house looks great. I'd put a footpath outside of it though

The builder used a tanking kit for the 2 wet rooms to seal. Not 100% sure what type.

Your maybe right about the path but we will see once we have some more of the site work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭npgallag

Some pics of our new build.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,114 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

npgallag

vertical DPCs at openings?

Not done yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

npgallag wrote: »

Is that a double height window at the front? I think they always look great!!

• Advertisement

Yep double height hall and stairs going up the inside of that window..can wait to see the window quotes as need triple glaze passive to go with insulation and heating system. plans attached. any opinions welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

Yep double height hall and stairs going up the inside of that window..can wait to see the window quotes as need triple glaze passive to go with insulation and heating system. plans attached. any opinions welcome.

savage job. how many square feet? builder or direct labour?

Thanks...House itself is 2132 sq ft... garage is another 728 sq ft. Have one builder as main contractor. Beside the river Shannon hence the design at back of house to take advantage of the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Fayre

The builder used a tanking kit for the 2 wet rooms to seal. Not 100% sure what type.

Your maybe right about the path but we will see once we have some more of the site work done.

Yeah I think I am going to go for tanking as well.
    I have 2 wet rooms and 1 shower tray. Decided on classy seal for the shower tray. Was going to go fibre glass on the wet rooms but the fibre glass installer wants things to be so perfect before he does his bit. He's looking for a 40mm drop per 1 metre and my tiler said he won't be able to achieve it.
    The plumber said I should go with whatever the tiler is comfortable with and it's obvious the tiler is not comfortable with the fibre glass coz he keeps giving out about the cost of it, saying I don't need it in a concrete house etc (by that he means block walls and concrete slab 1st floor) but I dont' want leaks into concrete either, I just dont' want leaks full stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Busy day today.
    - heating stats being installed
    - tiler to finish up
    - plumber to finish up
    - beds, table & chairs being delivered
    - last coat of varnish to be applied to stairs

Move in date - this Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Busy day today.
    - heating stats being installed
    - tiler to finish up
    - plumber to finish up
    - beds, table & chairs being delivered
    - last coat of varnish to be applied to stairs

Move in date - this Friday!

Early congrats Barney...down to the wire!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭m1b2k3

Best of luck Barney!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

Best of luck with the move Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

External plastering is complete and really happy with the job, the guys were artists and we were so lucky with that mild spell 2 weeks ago.

Front gable and one story section will be done in sandstone with granite surrounds for the arched door, front window and corner window. Can't wait to get cracking on that in the new year!

I used tiles in the kitchen and front & back halls, toilets and laminates elsewhere. Laminate floors are much better than they were in the past and much more affordable and durable than engineered wooden floors.

anything to watch out for when buying timber flooring? what mm is best for busy sittingroom floors? and is there something called a wear layer or something :confused: don't wanna make mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

anything to watch out for when buying timber flooring? what mm is best for busy sittingroom floors? and is there something called a wear layer or something :confused: don't wanna make mistake

Go on I'll take a stab you want 12mm with a wear rating of AC5

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Wrong thread...bah humbug

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

How many people on boards are in the process of building their own homes at the moment, have recently completed or planning to do so in the near future.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a self-build.
    It would be interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.

All, can we keep this for the 'live' self builds please

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭m1b2k3

We finished felting our house this morning, delighted to have it covered before the Christmas break. We have to get a plasterer to do the chimney and a gable end before the roofers can start the slates..

After 3 and a bit years..... we've moved in!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,114 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well done Barney !!

well done. nice time to move in too. but why did it take over 3 years to build? :confused:

well done. nice time to move in too. but why did it take over 3 years to build? :confused:

A few reasons..

1. Bank held us up for a year
    2. Marriage
    3. Baby
    4. Trying to make 'right' decisions throughout
    5. Didn't know a thing about building

Anyway the house really feels like a home tonight!

A few reasons..

1. Bank held us up for a year
    2. Marriage
    3. Baby
    4. Trying to make 'right' decisions throughout
    5. Didn't know a thing about building

Anyway the house really feels like a home tonight!

did a fine job well done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭893bet

Snap. We formally moved in this week! Got sky installed yesterday!

Broke ground August 13! Long slog!

893bet wrote: »
    Snap. We formally moved in this week! Got sky installed yesterday!

Broke ground August 13! Long slog!

Yes, I have to say it was a very tough journey and so glad it's over (well loads more to do but at least I'm in). Do all self-builders find it a terrible experience or is there anyone out there who actually enjoyed the ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭893bet

Yes, I have to say it was a very tough journey and so glad it's over (well loads more to do but at least I'm in). Do all self-builders find it a terrible experience or is there anyone out there who actually enjoyed the ride?

Loved it! And it was all worth while this morning!

893bet wrote: »
    Loved it! And it was all worth while this morning!

Fair play. I hated 99% of it. I found everything very tough and the physical labour on top of things very stressful on family affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

I see blocklayer butt jointed the insulation on the top left hand corner beside gable, and I can see all the corner sheets left inside in the house unused !

the vertical dpc's need to be done as the window is being built not after the ope has been formed.

I also see standard lintels doubled up on a few windows, tut tut tut :rolleyes:

out from that it looks well ;)

• Advertisement

thanks for your comments severeoversteer
    I will be asking builder about the corners and why there were not used...
    And why no vertical DPC..will this cause issues in the future if done after.?
    Any problems using double lintels..?

Advertisement