Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

murphaph wrote: »
    Yeah agreed. This should be the way it's done if it isn't already if there are no expansion joints between loops on different solenoids. I would definitely take a look inside the cabinet to see which way it's been plumbed/wired and ensure that a failed solenoid can't cause one area of the screed slab to have a significantly different temp to another.

It should also be mentioned that solar gains can seriously heat up the slab in summer and if you have say a sun room adjoining a dark room then you can get the same effect. I mean, even concrete footpaths have expansion joints for the same reason.

I could not agree with you more, ideally an expansion joint between all room slabs under the door ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

JimmyMW wrote: »
    I could not agree with you more, ideally an expansion joint between all room slabs under the door ways.
    Yeah in our build that's how it is but also where we have a large open plan L-shaped room, they included an expansion joint to decouple the "wings". They also put in expansion joints between the hearth and rest of sitting room as under the stove has no UFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ELBAOS

Roof slates are on. (well tiles actually) we went with the Snowdon product which is a tile (terracotta coloured) with a black colour baked onto it. Has a nice texture and has a much longer colour guarantee than a fibre cement slate

Hi
    Just wondering could you pm me the price of these? Looking at them myself. They look lovely, thanks

Yeah in our build that's how it is but also where we have a large open plan L-shaped room, they included an expansion joint to decouple the "wings". They also put in expansion joints between the hearth and rest of sitting room as under the stove has no UFH.

Will hopefully at the stage of laying UFH pipes myself in a few weeks, could you PM me the detail you used for the expansion joints?

Will hopefully at the stage of laying UFH pipes myself in a few weeks, could you PM me the detail you used for the expansion joints?
    I'll have a look and see if I have a drawing of it and send it to you if I do, but I'm not sure I have tbh. I did post several pictures in this thread though including the UFH before the screed was laid. Our entire system came from EqTherm (but I think they only have a German language site). There are plenty of examples online if you google "Dehnungsfugen Fußbodenheizung".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

Hi, only starting out and doing research. Why/ what is that tape around the windows for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Belkin1975 wrote: »
    Hi, only starting out and doing research. Why/ what is that tape around the windows for?

Airtightness

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

What type of tape is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

it's an airtightness tape. there are different types depending on what you are typing to do and depending on what material you are applying the tape to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

When you say one zone, do you mean one plumping loop for each floor or do you mean one thermostatic controlled valve controlling each floor of multiple loops?

The latter.

So in theory all GF will be at the same Temp.
    And all FF will be at the same Temp.

• Advertisement

Jimmy's question is pertinent here. I suspect a whole ground floor in a single hydraulic loop would mean a loop of at least 200m or 300m in length....far too long. I suspect you have 1 heating zone per floor and multiple hydraulic loops per zone. If that's the case and a solenoid to one loop fails to open when you turn the heating on and the loop next to it heats up then you may be in for trouble some day, especially if you tile the floor.

Do you have any pictures of your UFH installation in progress?

You suspect correctly. These photos are all FF

I have steel mesh in the floors for reinforcement and to prevent cracking.
    All floors are either polished concrete or tile, I'm not putting in any other type of flooring

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭m1b2k3

We are just starting out, site dug out and stone rolled for the foundations. The steel got delivered yesterday evening so going to start to tie it tomorrow. We had to move large boulders from the ground in the site works so waiting for a rockbreaker to come and break them down before we pour the foundations. Just dont want the vibrations once the concrete is poured. Trying to get prices from the tradesmen at the moment so we can decide who we are going with and if they have any ideas/concerns/suggestions we can act on them before we start the blocklaying! Thankfully the weather has been good for the last week while we were digging, long may it continue :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

m1b2k3 wrote: »
    We are just starting out, site dug out and stone rolled for the foundations. The steel got delivered yesterday evening so going to start to tie it tomorrow. We had to move large boulders from the ground in the site works so waiting for a rockbreaker to come and break them down before we pour the foundations. Just dont want the vibrations once the concrete is poured. Trying to get prices from the tradesmen at the moment so we can decide who we are going with and if they have any ideas/concerns/suggestions we can act on them before we start the blocklaying! Thankfully the weather has been good for the last week while we were digging, long may it continue :-)

Best of luck with the build.

Kitchen and tiling progressing. Worktop not fixed yet. Want to tile under dishwasher and install first before worktop as it's a bit easier for access. The doors still have their protective film on them... they've not blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Got the last of the floors in yesterday. Outside works ongoing. Kitchen worktop tomorrow and bathrooms ongoing also. Busy times!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Got the last of the floors in yesterday. Outside works ongoing. Kitchen worktop tomorrow and bathrooms ongoing also. Busy times!

Fantastic Barney, great stuff

Whats the foil at the wall at floor level?

Are you putting in window boards?

I've got steel mesh in the concrete (photo taken before floors were poured) in all the rooms will this help at all to prevent broken tiles in the future?

I went to see a house the other day with UF heating and tiled floors and there are cracked tiles at a couple of doorways. There is also recurring cracked floor tile at a point over a steel beam.

Probably too late for me prevent this now as my floors were poured when walls were built. I suppose I could not tile the floors....

what are people doing about security on the site during and after the build? Would changing all the locks before moving in be overkill/paranoia?
    Our doors are in with a while but we were doing nothing at all security wise but now am trying to get the tradesmen to lock up after they leave and leave the key under a stone.

Wegian wrote: »
    Fantastic Barney, great stuff

Whats the foil at the wall at floor level?

Are you putting in window boards?

The foil is put on the floor before the laminate is fitted.

My joiner is starting next week and putting in the window boards then.

Another good day. Quartz kitchen worktop and showers fitted. Let the madness continue.

• Advertisement

Starting on second floor this week!Happy with things so far!
    Pic wont upload will try again later

I've got steel mesh in the concrete (photo taken before floors were poured) in all the rooms will this help at all to prevent broken tiles in the future?

I went to see a house the other day with UF heating and tiled floors and there are cracked tiles at a couple of doorways. There is also recurring cracked floor tile at a point over a steel beam.

Probably too late for me prevent this now as my floors were poured when walls were built. I suppose I could not tile the floors....

Im not sure about the steel, id imagine with a sub-floor with steel in it, the steel in the finished floor would not be carrying out any function. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this subject could shed some light on the steel in the finished floor, re cracking and differential temperature cracking

pl4xg72bj
    Ok finally learned how to upload!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ELBAOS wrote: »
    pl4xg72bj
    Ok finally learned how to upload!

any chance of a closer in pic of the jambs at the stair well?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    any chance of a closer in pic of the jambs at the stair well?

Will try get one tomorrow, u thinking something looks off??😨

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What a view! Whereabouts, if you don't mind me asking?

Zzippy wrote: »
    What a view! Whereabouts, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!West Cork!!

ELBAOS wrote: »
    Will try get one tomorrow, u thinking something looks off??😨

zoomed image (didn't work will do it from computer tomorrow)
    VmkLz8.png

Great spell of weather lately and got all my outside pipework done including percolation area. Gravel outside really cleans it up. Joiner starting to hang doors next week and still on schedule to move in this Christmas. Nearly there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Fayre

You've done an amazing job there Barney! What stone is on the front?
    I need to get infra red testing done of the pumped bead insulation in the cavity, anyone have a name of someone that does this they can PM me?

Advertisement