Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Fayre wrote: »
    You've done an amazing job there Barney! What stone is on the front?
    I need to get infra red testing done of the pumped bead insulation in the cavity, anyone have a name of someone that does this they can PM me?

Thanks, it's a fayre old job alright! They call it field stone or sometimes random rubble. It came from a demolished barn.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Thanks, it's a fayre old job alright! They call it field stone or sometimes random rubble. It came from a demolished barn.
    It's looking smashin' I just love everything about your house! Weather is just fab surely!
    Our random rubble hasn't started yet, plastering coming along well on outside for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭893bet

Finally got the extractor up! Had to "sack" the sparkie. He doesn't know though as he wont answer his phone to me. He only has a day or twos work left with me and he is too busy and just couldn't be bothered doing it! He has a reputation doll for this but sadly I only found that out after the fact!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Great spell of weather lately and got all my outside pipework done including percolation area. Gravel outside really cleans it up. Joiner starting to hang doors next week and still on schedule to move in this Christmas. Nearly there!

Fantastic looking house, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Hi Barney, what slate/tile is that on your roof? Looks well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

Hi Barney

lovely house. What type of render do you have on the non stone parts. Is it some type of dashed effect ?

ustari wrote: »
    Hi Barney, what slate/tile is that on your roof? Looks well.

Samaca from Capco. Cool username!

chillit wrote: »
    Hi Barney

lovely house. What type of render do you have on the non stone parts. Is it some type of dashed effect ?

Yeah, it's a render from Irwin aggregates in Coalisland (no connection). They have a number of renders and mine is the lighter of 2 greys - pearl grey I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

Just a little update,

Slates all done on house and garage, really starting to look like a house now!

We got a sample of stonework done just last week, waiting for the mortar to dry a little to see what it looks like but we think we are happy with it.

Granite sills to the front of the house have been installed since this pic and house is scratch coated where the stone won't be.

Slowly starting to come together but really missing the long evenings to get stuff done.

Barney your house looks amazing btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shanaknocker

Another good day. Quartz kitchen worktop and showers fitted. Let the madness continue.

Hey BarneyMC. love the house. you are at the stage where i had hoped to be, but the banks did not see that way. any away i am looking at the detail in your roof, particularly where the gutter meets the roof. I am trying to get details of same for working drawings, can you steer me in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭m1b2k3

We poured foundations last week and are starting block work on Tuesday next week. hopefully this fine spell stays for a bit longer!

just a question on roof tiles, we are in a debate over natural or synthetic at the moment. We have quotes from Blue Bangor and Tegral. If anyone has any recommendations can you let me know?

Hey BarneyMC. love the house. you are at the stage where i had hoped to be, but the banks did not see that way. any away i am looking at the detail in your roof, particularly where the gutter meets the roof. I am trying to get details of same for working drawings, can you steer me in the right direction.

Thanks. Not sure I have any 'drawings' for this but I'd imagine it's a fairly simple detail for any decent architect/builder? Maybe someone else here can help?

Kitchen booth is coming along! Just waiting for the upholsterer to do his thing!
    The price of the V groove panels made me cry a little!

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

So nearly three years after moving in we got the entrance finished a couple of weeks ago, now just to scrape the fun tokens together to get it kerbed and tarmaced!!
    Delighted with it, but as we went double sided stonework it obviously cost a lot more than initially budgeted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Very nice stone work I like the curving wall.

Is there really a need for letters in the countryside thought it was more of a town thing. I'd have thought The meadows would suffice

Unfortunately with the advent of postcodes in the North, no delivery driver would ever be bothered to find you if you just used your townland or farm name as you always have to enter postcodes when ordering stuff online. Have watched delivery drivers and even new vets drive up and down the road looking for our place without bothering to stop and ask where does such and such live. Sat Navs have a lot to answer for. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

So nearly three years after moving in we got the entrance finished a couple of weeks ago, now just to scrape the fun tokens together to get it kerbed and tarmaced!!
    Delighted with it, but as we went double sided stonework it obviously cost a lot more than initially budgeted for.

Whats the stone you used ?

Liscannor Stone. Thought I'd be a smart fella and try to see if i could organise it cheaper myself, so priced the stone cut from the quarry, organise my own tipper lorry and get him to deliver it from Clare. The company i ended up sourcing it through were able to do it far cheaper than me and it came in tonne bags which i just lifted off with the telescopic and set where the masons needed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

The

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Fayre

BarneyMc I was trying to find a thread where you were discussing types of paint to put on a new build (interior) where you were discussing seeing plaster swirls through the paint (for want of a better expression) anyway the 'search for previous posts' by fuction doesn't work anymore on Boards it just brings you to an Advanced search page where you input a keyword and that doesn't work so would you be so kind as to direct me towards the conversation? Just getting my inside painted now cheers

• Advertisement

Maybe it is this?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Quick query... we have a lovely window that goes down to the floor in living space off the kitchen. Our window people are wondering whether we intend on putting in curtains or blinds for privacy. I had intended on leaving it open until we got settled and then figuring out what to do... but they are saying to put in brackets for curtain rail now would be avoiding issues down the line. They are just trying to be helpful and there is a public lane at back of the house where 3 other houses are built and our cattle shed is in there too.
    I'm awful at making decisions when under pressure... but I would love suggestions if any of you have seen this sort of window in other builds and were curtains/blinds installed.
    Pictures attached show the window from outside, from inside and another view from a small mezzanine upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Quick query... we have a lovely window that goes down to the floor in living space off the kitchen. Our window people are wondering whether we intend on putting in curtains or blinds for privacy. I had intended on leaving it open until we got settled and then figuring out what to do... but they are saying to put in brackets for curtain rail now would be avoiding issues down the line. They are just trying to be helpful and there is a public lane at back of the house where 3 other houses are built and our cattle shed is in there too.
    I'm awful at making decisions when under pressure... but I would love suggestions if any of you have seen this sort of window in other builds and were curtains/blinds installed.
    Pictures attached show the window from outside, from inside and another view from a small mezzanine upstairs.

What issues would they be avoiding by putting on the brackets?

Personally I'd have nothing if at all possible! Though you might need something for shading depending on the aspect.

Would the curtain rail go across the widest part at the top, avoiding the 'triangle'?

Sorry I think I wasn't not clear, they said because we are using pvc wood effect to clad the windows it would be better to put in the rail brackets now rather than trying to do it later. The window people actually suggested to plaster the structure around the window as there will be a plastic-y look to the window but I think we are going to run with PVC clad well I'm not exactly sure what it is but I know the sills for it are metal and we couldn't source a match so we went with the Colour of the stone instead.
    I have attached sun aspect this time of year and at summer solstice to show the range of sunlight that will be hitting that side of house. I hadn't intended on putting curtains blinds at all... was hoping to plant trees but if we need curtains down the line I would accept that also just now I don't have a clue I just want to enjoy our window!
    Yes curtains I'd imagine would be for bottom rectangle - apex would be left open. We are thinking of a driveway around the house also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Screed cracked and I got fed up waiting for the crowd who laid it to make it good so did it myself as I need to tile this area asap. The resin repair kit only cost a tenner but nearly knocked me out it was so strong. Had to open all upstairs windows and it's below freezing here.

You might want to think about what it's going to look like on winter evenings - I assume that's a living room/TV room where you'll be in the evenings? Large glazing with darkness outside can look very cold and would be much cosier with curtains

893bet wrote: »

Where did you get the piece of glass? It's a nice alternative to the usual piece of black granite

Fayre wrote: »
    Where did you get the piece of glass? It's a nice alternative to the usual piece of black granite

Any glass company will do it. It's just 12mm toughened with polished edge etc. If I could go back I would have put a bevelled edge also.

• Advertisement

Stairs are in and just waiting on the side panel to run along the wall to be set in place. It really makes the house more like a home. Last big job is to get all doors, skirting, stairs, etc. spray painted.

Advertisement