Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and other wintry precip

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The beefy showers are showing on the west coast now:) Its fluppin freezing out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very late report this but snow fell here in Dunshaughlin between 8.20 and 8.30 for 10 minutes after a night of rain turned to snow just before it departed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Much lightning on the north side of Clew Bay, forks visible from the south side.

Yoda wrote:
    Much lightning on the north side of Clew Bay, forks visible from the south side.

Yup some real activity now coming ashore. If this dosnt reach the East coast I will eat my hat!!:D

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/radar/

• Advertisement

Problem is darkman2,it's heading North East and North more than East so it's only going to fringe the East coast if anything.It might even miss it and head straight to Ulster.

Also the dewpoint is still marginal.

In your favour is the wind is blowing off the cold land so there will be none of that coastal warming effect.

precip should be very wintry though with snow definite on the higher ground and a maybe on the lower.

Tristrame wrote:
    Problem is darkman2,it's heading North East and North more than East so it's only going to fringe the East coast if anything.It might even miss it and head straight to Ulster.

Also the dewpoint is still marginal.

In your favour is the wind is blowing off the cold land so there will be none of that coastal warming effect.

precip should be very wintry though with snow definite on the higher ground and a maybe on the lower.

Ah yes Tristame but we have an ace card. The Wind is gradually veering westerly and increasing, that means a shorter track. Worryingly though Knock is now reporting sleet. Ive a suspicion that has to do with DAM thickness. It may not be quite 528 in some areas as the shortwave comes through. If a shower makes it to us I expect it to be sleet and snow tbh. Most of the ingredients are there:)

Yes it is veering westerly and do you know what else is happening,the air temp and the dewpoint is rising slightly with that veer at least here anyway.
    It wouldnt want to rise much higher.

If showers pass through I do expect to see at least a little lying snow on the high ground west of here above 1000ft (precipitating as snow above 4 or 500 ft) and I'd expect longfield to see snow up in annamoe.

Remember aswell Knock is 7 or 800ft above sea level which makes an awfull difference.
    It's dewpoint I see is now +1c which is not good for snow when its air temp is also above zero.
    I'm expecting conditions Rain versus snow to be erratic tbh and I'm expecting dp's and air temps to rise as that precip gets closer,even if it doesnt come over head.

Tristrame wrote:
    Remember aswell Knock is 7 or 800ft above sea level which makes an awfull difference.
    It's dewpoint I see is now +1c which is not good for snow when its air temp is also above zero.
    I'm expecting conditions Rain versus snow to be erratic tbh and I'm expecting dp's and air temps to rise as that precip gets closer,even if it doesnt come over head.

Its actually much later in the night im interested in. Between 12 and 6 am. I dont expect temperatures to drop much further. We will have to see how the dew point holds up. I wouldnt worry though about the snow tbh. If showers reach the East coast there is no doubt they will be Wintry. That suits me on the coast. If it actually did snow, that would be a bonus.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hence the saying its always colder before it snows.

temp is 3.3c and dp unchanged.Wind is still SW here.
    Thing about where you are Tristrame,you are the lee of high ground which aint good for you if showers or whats left of them are crossing the country.They be sponged by the mountains.I cant see them reaching here either now as they are really dissipating even way inland.

Maybe later?

True about knock,its built on a hill.

Well the 4 websites all located here in the east are hovering around the 3c mark.With an offshore wind originating from a cold land you would think they would be lower than that by now.

Anyway atm conditions favourable for sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp has been stuck at 4.3C here for quite a while now, with the dp just above zero, would this also be favourable for sleet, or is it more likely to be rain if showers do reach here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Still 1°C out here.

trogdor wrote:
    Temp has been stuck at 4.3C here for quite a while now, with the dp just above zero, would this also be favourable for sleet, or is it more likely to be rain if showers do reach here

Well mine is stuck at 3.3c and dp up 0.9c.Now thats in a clear sky.If it got cloudy both air and dp temp would rise a little bit making it for rain rather than sleet obviously dependant on the rise in both temps.

For example this morning it was 3.5c and dp was 1.8c and was raining.If dp where 0.8c=sleet and or below 0.3c wet snow etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Short(5 mins) but very heavy hail shower in Oranmore,the place is white.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Snowbie wrote:
    Thing about where you are Tristrame,you are the lee of high ground which aint good for you if showers or whats left of them are crossing the country.They be sponged by the mountains.I cant see them reaching here either now as they are really dissipating even way inland.
    Not really snowbie.
    They are only sponged here when the precipitation comes from the North or the Northwest as they have the entire wicklow mountains to cross.
    To the west there is some high ground-1000 to 1500ft and one mountain of 2000ft-they are a small area and actually help sometimes in a westerly as they are too small to sponge a shower , yet they are close enough and high enough to mean that the precip coming down off them in a westerly remains wintry.
    Anything coming in from the south west is unhindered.We are completely exposed in that direction.The only block is whether or not the precip will make it across a long land track.

Anyway
    Temp stuck on 3.2c here with a SW wind now
    The dew point is +0.6c

Border line here but a cert for that high ground to my west if a shower passes.
    That said as expected that precipitation is being killed as it moves inland.

The same thing happens in reverse with the Irish sea showers that you get in an easterly.
    The whest stays dry.

Horray we have precip heading for Dublin from west/northwest:D

www.metoffice.com

Its a weather front btw;)

(well the North County anyway) - will it make it? Quite a blob!

tristrame wrote:
    Not really snowbie.
    They are only sponged here when the precipitation comes from the North or the Northwest as they have the entire wicklow mountains to cross.
    To the west there is some high ground-1000 to 1500ft and one mountain of 2000ft-they are a small area and actually help sometimes in a westerly as they are too small to sponge a shower , yet they are close enough and high enough to mean that the precip coming down off them in a westerly remains wintry.
    Anything coming in from the south west is unhindered.We are completely exposed in that direction.The only block is whether or not the precip will make it across a long land track.

Your right there.My topography is a little rusty.Perfect for the s/westerly for you and was meant to say NW not that good for you.Even Dublins clear corridor to the west aint so good either tonight.
    I know the high ground your talking about,its just south of redcross village where i go camping.

Temp rose to 3.6c
    Dp 1c.

Just back from bringin muttly for a walk and its baltic out there with a bone chilling wind chill.

darkman2 wrote:
    Horray we have precip heading for Dublin from west/northwest:D

www.metoffice.com

Its a weather front btw;)

(well the North County anyway) - will it make it? Quite a blob!

Dicey I'd say Darkman,I wouldnt be counting on it as its probably heading North East.
    Virtually the whole country is reporting a south westerly now

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

So that would mean that blob (if it survives the land track weakened) is more likely to hit co louth at its most southern point but probably all of Ulster in its current southwest to north east direction.

• Advertisement

Temp on the up.now at 3.7c dp 1c

It's actually dropping here slightly

3.2c with a dp of +0.6c

Not expecting any showers though here anyway.

Tristrame wrote:
    Dicey I'd say Darkman,I wouldnt be counting on it as its probably heading North East.
    Virtually the whole country is reporting a south westerly now

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

So that would mean that blob (if it survives the land track weakened) is more likely to hit co louth at its most southern point but probably all of Ulster in its current southwest to north east direction.

hmmmm a bit of a conflict here because it looks as though the radar is taking it E/SE. Looking at the radar that appears to be the direction. Its not unusual for bands of rain to go on a tangent to the observed wind direction. We will see soon enough. It might come to nothing...

Meaning has the upper air wind changed direction??

Well looking at the met.ie loop maybe.
    But remember wind direction has changed only recently,very recently,it was west here at 1040pm and then west south west and now its south west but only in the last half hour.

Snowbie wrote:
    Meaning has the upper air wind changed direction??

I assume so because the LP centre is swinging just East of Northern Ireland as we speak. That will shift the wind direction. That Blob must represent the trough. If it is it has a chance of making the East coast.

Temp is still dropping slowly here since the wind change.

Now 3.1c with a dp of 0.5c

The south westerly has been consistent now for 35 to 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just had a sudden rise in temperature and drop in humidity, temp now up to 5.3C and dp down to 0.1 the wind is very inconsistant here, swinging from sw to se.

Mines all over the shop,given me an easterly now.:D
    Its the wsw atm for me will later change probably to sw.

• Advertisement

I see knock is now reporting Rain at 7 or 800 ft

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement