Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and other wintry precip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

We just had one of those sleet showers here in Lecanvey (1°C), at 12:55. Ben Goram and the Reek look splendid.

I posted pictures here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

LOL Latest from Met Eireann:

FRI 17 NOV

TODAY'S FORECAST 11.30
    Very cold with sunny spells and
    occasional rain, hail and sleet showers
    most frequent in the midlands and west
    with the risk of thunder. Some snow on
    the hills. Becoming windy.

HIGHEST TEMPERATURES 5 to 8 Celsius.

TONIGHT: Very windy across the country
    with clear spells and hail, sleet and
    snow showers with the risk of thunder.
    A covering of snow on some hills.
    Westerly gales in the north.

Latest for Dublin:

Tonight

Very windy this evening and tonight with clear spells and a few hail, sleet or snow showers with the risk of thunder. A covering of snow possible on some hills

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Weather station forecasting snow again,highest temp it reached in daylight hours was 6.9c.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

just had a bit af a sleet shower in galway city there, v. v. cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

More sleet here too. The tops of the mountains are covered in cloud now, doubtless laying more snow. (See my message above for photos from 13:00.)

Snowbie wrote:
    Weather station forecasting snow again,highest temp it reached in daylight hours was 6.9c.

Even mine is forecasting snow now snowbie,we're going to be snowed in I fear :p

My max was higher than that but it was at 545am during the showers.

It's not been above 6c today.

Mind you the Scientists on East coast FM are saying its 10c in Bray and Greystones... It is yeah :rolleyes:

Tristrame wrote:

Mind you the Scientists on East coast FM are saying its 10c in Bray and Greystones... It is yeah :rolleyes:

Gonna be an interesting night I reckon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Rain turned to sleet and then snow here at about 8.15 am, to my utter suprise. It quickly became heavy and after a few minutes, it was sticking to grass and later on, sticking to the driveway too. Despite the previous rain aswell.:)

Everything was turning white when I left home at 8:40 but the snow cover abruptly stopped at about 110m above sea level. There was probably about a centimetre or so of snow on the car here at 145m asl when I left.

There wasn't even sleet by the time I arrived in Drogheda. What a difference a hundred or so metres makes:D

Tristrame wrote:

Look around the 1500hrs today on your graph it is more than 6c.Its the same as mine.You hit around the 7c mark for a brief time before dropping off.Its the confusion with the overnight temps that has thrown us off our max todays in daylight hours.
    Compare on the website thread the max,all jumped up to 7 mark briefly,must have been only for a few minutes.

I dont think anyplace in Ireland let alone Bray got to 10c.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowbie wrote:
    Look around the 1500hrs today on your graph it is more than 6c.Its the same as mine.You hit around the 7c mark for a brief time before dropping off.Its the confusion with the overnight temps that has thrown us off our max todays in daylight hours.
    Compare on the website thread the max,all jumped up to 7 mark briefly,must have been only for a few minutes.

I can confirm bray did not get above 8.5C today, at least not here, and i'm right by the sea, my trusty machine is forcasting snow again :D

darkman2 wrote:
    Gonna be an interesting night I reckon.....

Okay DM afk most of the day so could not keep in touch with preceedings,what have you heard or read.See a trough line moving across the country on your fax chart alright.

Snowbie wrote:
    Ah i didnt see that,I was going on glancing at the console!
    Oh East coast fm are always at that.
    They'll say things like the temp in Bray and Roundwood is now whatever...when of course the temp in Roundwood will always be different and in snowy conditions usually much different as it can be snowing in Roundwood and raining in Bray.

East coast FM should stick to playing music.
    Whats annoying is, they use some thermometer they have at their studio and use it to tell the temp not just in Bray but in Gorey or Enniscorthy or Arklow.
    Ridiculous.

As for our Davis snow symbols,I reckon its to do with the low dp compared to the air temp.

Still I wouldnt expect snow at +4.5c at sea level unless that DP went below zero.
    It's a tad more likely in marginal conditions though in the current scenario given the offshore wind.

Snowbie wrote:
    Okay DM afk most of the day so could not keep in touch with preceedings,what have you heard or read.See a trough line moving across the country on your fax chart alright.

TONIGHT: Very windy across the country
    with clear spells and hail, sleet and
    snow showers with the risk of thunder.
    A covering of snow on some hills.
    Westerly gales in the north.

Met.ie

Temperatures are going to fall quickly after dark and the winds are going to strengthen. Showers propping up later and moving quickly across the country. Showers may fall as sleet and snow as they move inland with temps 0 - 1C in the East. Sleet is already falling in parts of the west.

Not saying it will happen but there s a definate chance.

1c Already at Knock, 4C at Dublin Airport.

Tonight Dublin

Windy tonight with clear spells and a few hail, sleet or snow showers. A covering of snow possible on some hills

Tristrame,i think the DP might come close to 0c.Mine is fluctuating between 1.5 to 2c.

DM if the wind does decide to increase at all,there remains a possibility that we might get a wintry shower or two.Its gusting to 20mph here and temp at 4.6c.A lot of radar watching 2nite i expect.

Snowbie wrote:
    Tristrame,i think the DP might come close to 0c.Mine is fluctuating between 1.5 to 2c.

DM if the wind does decide to increase at all,there remains a possibility that we might get a wintry shower or two.Its gusting to 20mph here and temp at 4.6c.A lot of radar watching 2nite i expect.

We will see a couple in the early hours I expect. The winds will strengthen to near or gale force later. As usual the showers will probrably retreat for a few hours ahead of the trough. Gonna be a long night.

DP here is already down to 0.6 and is hovering there between 1 and 0.5, some of the more biefy showers should make it over to the east coast later on i'd say, especialy if they become thundery and prolonged.

trogdor wrote:
    DP here is already down to 0.6 and is hovering there between 1 and 0.5, some of the more biefy showers should make it over to the east coast later on i'd say, especialy if they become thundery and prolonged.

They will become prolonged. On the latest sattelite image the more prolonged anvils are approaching the west coast.

But just remember a trough line of showers when crossing the country in darkness will lose its energy as it is encountering less convection over land.Right thats the downer and a more positive note the wind will push them across rather quickly.So i do expect some sort of showers later on.

Wind picking up gust over 20mph still
    Temp 3.9c,
    Dp 1.1c
    humidity at 82%

• Advertisement

Right its already kicked off - snow in Knock:

KNOCK AIRPORT S 08 Gust 25 RECENT SNOW 0C 98 0.3 991

3C at DA now:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Car says 0.5c here , windy too, cold as fook outside!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at the avbrief radar loop for the last few hours, these showers are dying a death moving eastwards, don't hold much hope of much of anything reaching this side of the country tbh.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Dew point here is +0.2c
    Air temp is +2.9c

And the snow symbol is gone off the davis :D

Tristrame wrote:
    Dew point here is +0.2c
    Air temp is +2.9c

And the snow symbol is gone off the davis :D
    Wierd, it's gone from mine too, temp is 4.3C here, with a dp of 0.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Temp 3c
    DP 0.9c

Ditto,just as its nearly right for snow it has disappeared too.
    Temp 3.5c
    DP 0.9c

DP now down too 0.0C, but the temp has stopped falling and is doing the same as last night, it has started to rise:(, up to 4.6C again now. What time is the trough set to cross at???

Dropping slowly
    Temp 2.7c

DP steady at 0.2c

Theres a strong SW breeze here too
    Gusted to 22mph at ground level within the last hour

Wind chill -1c according to the Davis :D

I can tell you it feels considerably chillier than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Well lowest temp i got was 4.6 Celsius, at around 2 o clock, fairly wintry all day with some very heavy (but brief and frequent) hail showers all day and still the odd few at the moment. There is plenty of snow above 650 metres though, Baurtregaum is covered in the whit stuff, and Mt Brandon got a fair dumping as well.. will try and get a few pics tomorrow..

It is a lot earlier in the year as well.. last winter we did not get so much snow till jan and feb..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement