Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Hi, I am gettin all 4 of my wisdom teeth out on monday, i was talking to dentsit yesterday and he said i would not be under a general anasthetic, but i will be given local anasthetic and a sedative..he said time will appear to go really quick and i will feel slightly drunk but wont feel anything...im still very nervous abbout it all...gettin it done by oral surgeon in a dental clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

got all 4 wisdom teeth out last night as the roots were bending out instead of straight and there was no space for them....i was really nervous after reading everyones stories on here, i got local anasthetic and sedation and i dont remember a thing, didnt feel anything at all...i took arnica tablets for 2 days beforehand and i currently have no swelling...Pain is not too bad either although neurofen is doin the job..have to say oral surgeon was very good...glad i didnt go for the general anaesthetic...recovery is slower

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Angelica Rocks!

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for all the advice - I found it such a help reading these before I went for my surgery!

I got my four wisdom teeth out this morning (2 bottom impacted), under GA. i was sh*tting myself going in - had seen that film last year where the guy wakes up mid-surgery!!!!

Anyway, it was so grand, felt a bit like I'd been beaten up when I woke up, because I had chipmunk cheeks, but no pain. Throat was sore, but just like a normal sore throat. I hope ill be as chirpy about it all 2moro - apparently its common to wake up in agony!!

So, the point of my post was to share some magic advice one of my friends who's a nurse gave me:

- Take arnica tablets on the hour from 2 days pre-surgery

- Have lip balm and arnica cream at the ready for when you get back to your room post-surgery - your lips are cracked and even though you are numb at the time it would be an unnecessary irration later. arnica cream helps to reduce the brusing and swelling on the outside.

- Start getting water (lots) into you as soon as you can, small sips obviously, dont horse it, but as much as you can - it helps to get the anaesthetic out of your body quicker and therefone means less puking potential.

- When you get home, and go to bed, prop the pillows so you are elevated in the bed - it means that not as much blood is flowing to your head and therefore reduces the possibility of your gums bleeding again - so no need for that horrile gauze in your gob! If you do have to put gauze in, use a tampon on each side - sounds MING but apprently they are way better than the gauze absorbency-wise!!

- When you are in the bed and propped up, get a pair of oven gloves, and put ice packs in each end where your hands go - it sounds so random, but its a great way to make sure that the ice packs dont fall off while youre asleep.

I know this is a bit rambly, but it really helped me, so hopefully some of ye will benefit too. oh yeah, and if you are given the morphine pain killers be aware that you probably arent insured to be driving or in work while youre on them!

Day 1 down, here's hoping Day 2 is as ok!

Angelica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sincasey

carsd wrote: »
    Can Someone tell me how much this is going to set me back
    have to get two bottom wisdom teeth removed.

have VHI and all that

i went public and it cost me €108 per tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shunney

I went to Rob Wallace in Limerick as was recommended, cost me €60 for x-ray and one lower extraction, i'm going back in 2 weeks for one more exctraction.... Highly recommend, it was a breeze, very pleased :D

Thanks for the recommendation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tinkerbella23

im just recovering from having a very awkward wisdom tooth removed today at 11.00am. i have to say i would be lying if i says it was not bad.
    my tooth was growing sideways and had no room to be took straight out so i had to have my tooth cracked and some bone removed i was under local anesetic which i had to get loads of:mad:
    in saying all this my mouth is actually healing up quickly i got strong painkillers that i've to only take if the pain gets unbareable but other than that nurofen and thats all i'm taking is nurofen and its doing the job.
    im glad d tooth is gone;)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Hi,

Anybody know any place in Dublin that will extract a wisdom tooth, Im in so much pain at the moment, got quoted 1300 for a place in baggot street,cant afford that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭shamsteak

Hi all, great thread,

I have finally decided to get my badly impacted wisdom teeth removed after years of putting it off (I'm 30) and i need to make an appointment soon!!. I have suffered from mouth and throat infections in the past and my doc said that these were due to the wisdom teeth becoming infected. At the moment i have what i think is a swollen gland under my jaw, and again the doctor seems to think it's all connected to the teeth. I was just wondering did anyone else have similar trouble? and would having surgery in the north make a big difference in the cost.?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi

I got my 4 wisdom teeth out in January in St Mary's hospital up in the phoenix park.Got it done under local with a sedative. Had been in a lot of pain with them.Have to say d op itself was fine. I didnt feel a thing. One of my lower ones was badly impacted and took ages to get out but I actually started laughing I was that out of it:P The recovery was a different scenario altogether. I was a bold girl and was smoking the next day and ended up getting dry sockets it was my own fault I know but so painful:( So my advice would be try not to smoke for a few days after. My wisdom teeth were actually a weird blue colour when takin out cos I had been on anti-biotics for acne as a teenager and this causes discolouration of wisdom teeth when they come through. Its also one of the reasons why pregnant women shouldnt take acne medication cos the baby's teeth can be discoloured too.....theres some useless information for you!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

Hi everyone....I need to get two impacted wisdom teeth out on the same side top and bottom.
    Firstly, Ive had one wisdom tooth out before on the other side (a bottom one) it was seriously jammed in my bone i just got a local anaesthetic the dentist was nearly sitting on me trying to get it out. Seriously horrific experience and bad infection after.....don't want a replay of that :(

How long will i be waiting to get an appt in a public hosp for removal and how do i get referred.

Also where is the cheapest place to get them out.

Lastly, can I get sedation? Like some serious sedation to knock me out so i don't know whats happening????
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

Just got two lower wisdom teeth out a week ago under general out the same day. The extraction was ok, finding the healing very slow. Maybe this is to be expected. On this mouth wash (Corsodyl?) red aniseed stuff and I'm finding my mouth tastes funny all the time. Wake with terrible taste in mouth but can't tell if this is mouthwash or indication of infection. Anyone know the symptoms for dry socket? Maybe I just need to be more patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I had one out a month ago with my dentist, local anaesthetic.

He managed to remove the tooth in under twenty seconds, no discomfort. I had no post-op pain, no tenderness, and no pain over the following days. I also ate a burger the same evening :)

It was an easy one (or so I was told).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭shamsteak

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've used the cordsyl mouthwash stuff for a while and it does leave a horrible taste in your mouth, especially in the morning. But it is the best for keeping an infection away, and i recommend using the mint flavour.. it's not quite as nasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

DJ Dodgy wrote: »
    Just got two lower wisdom teeth out a week ago under general out the same day. The extraction was ok, finding the healing very slow. Maybe this is to be expected. On this mouth wash (Corsodyl?) red aniseed stuff and I'm finding my mouth tastes funny all the time. Wake with terrible taste in mouth but can't tell if this is mouthwash or indication of infection. Anyone know the symptoms for dry socket? Maybe I just need to be more patient.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alveolar_osteitis
    You'll know if you have it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

<snip>

Now can anyone tell me where is the cheapest place to get me teeth out? 2 wisdom teeth top and bottom on the same side. I don't have health insurance. Has anyone tried the dental hospital in Dublin?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Get the mint corsodyl. It still tastes funny but not as bad as the aniseed stuff. Blegh.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

A known side effect of corsodyl use is alteration of taste sensation. It is temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Is it not normal to get your wisdom teeth out under local, then? I opted for no GA as I hate the idea of not knowing what's going on and no sedation for the same reason. I had my upper 2 out 2 years ago, and it was really fast and easy. Had the lower ones done today, took about an hour, one of them just wouldn't come out, and the dentist reached the maximum level of local she could give me, so I could feel a lot of it as well. Only when she said afterwards how brave I was that I realised most people must go for the sedation! I musta looked a madwoman. Anyway, it was highly unpleasant but not unbearable. She did rip the side of my mouth trying to get the tooth out which is a bit sore.

What I'm worried about now is dry socket - my gobsh!te of a brother was annoying me all day until I shouted at him to go away, and when I shouted I think I felt something move in my mouth where my left wisdom tooth was. Am worried now that I dislodged the blood clot, after being so fecking careful not to use a straw or anything. Is this likely? I feel like killing him. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Anyone know what the going rate is in Dublin city for the removal of two upper wisdom teeth? How much have people paid for this at their dentist?

fonpokno wrote: »
    Get the mint corsodyl. It still tastes funny but not as bad as the aniseed stuff. Blegh.
    Also got a tip to switch to plain salt and water. 2 weeks gone and finally can say it has settled down. Two badly impacted lower taken 15 days ago in hospital under GA, one side got very sore and had more pain week two than week one. Eventually brushing the extraction site through the discomfort is what sorted it. Relieved now it has settled down. Looking forward to enjoying my food again. This was tougher than I expected but I think it is all relative judging from this site and others account. Had top two out same day with local no bother no problem.

thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it helped alot through the process.

• Advertisement

sincasey wrote: »
    i went public and it cost me €108 per tooth
    Just quoting this again for the lads who are asking how much it will cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Just quoting this again for the lads who are asking how much it will cost.

Thanks. I was asking cos wasn't sure what average would be. I went to my dentist and he charged 220 Euro per tooth! I actually thought it was gonna be 220 total. Is that outrageous or in line with any dentist in Dublin city centre?

Also got a tip to switch to plain salt and water. 2 weeks gone and finally can say it has settled down. Two badly impacted lower taken 15 days ago in hospital under GA, one side got very sore and had more pain week two than week one. Eventually brushing the extraction site through the discomfort is what sorted it. Relieved now it has settled down. Looking forward to enjoying my food again. This was tougher than I expected but I think it is all relative judging from this site and others account. Had top two out same day with local no bother no problem.

thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it helped alot through the process.

What sort of things were you eating the whole time? I'm on soup and milkshakes right now but was hoping to be back to normal foods by day 4 or 5. The pain is still bad though so I might have been overambitious. It's terrible smelling my family's meals and not being able to eat them :(

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    What sort of things were you eating the whole time? I'm on soup and milkshakes right now but was hoping to be back to normal foods by day 4 or 5. The pain is still bad though so I might have been overambitious. It's terrible smelling my family's meals and not being able to eat them :(
    I'm afraid Ready Brek and yoghurt were my best friends for first week or so. I ate solid foods from about day 3 or 4 but could not enjoy them with the fear of hurting the extraction site. (If you were on anti-biotics bio-live yoghurt is good when you come off the anti biotic to replace the good bacteria). A nurse recommended staying on soft foods for a weeksaying it won't do you any harm. I was on the aniseed corsydol mouthwash so my taste buds were shot anyway so I could not enjoy any food.

Hang in there, this too will pass.

I just caved in and had some macaroni cheese there, hope it's ok! I have to be careful about not taking my painkillers on an empty stomach as I suffer from IBS, don't want a stomach ulcer on top of everything! When did you start on the Corsodyl? I've loads of it here but not sure if I should start it yet.

When did you start on the Corsodyl? I've loads of it here but not sure if I should start it yet.
    I would start now on mouthwash it doesn't hurt just zings your taste buds. And don't worry about what you eat if you can chew it enjoy it.

Yep so as I expected I have a dry socket AND an infection. Stupid idiot at the dentists told me 'I'd know about it if it was a dry socket', implying I was being a wimp so I left it until now to go in. :rolleyes: I got a clove dressing but can't go back until Monday as it's closed over the weekend. Very annoyed now, as I'm starting college next week, just hoping it gets better. :(

Yep so as I expected I have a dry socket :(
    Sounds like a tough time. I know it may not be much consolation but from what I hear of dry socket it runs for three to five days so you should be over the worst of it. Best of luck tomorrow at least it will provide some distraction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

What exactly is dry socket and what are the symptoms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

convert wrote: »
    What exactly is dry socket and what are the symptoms?
    When yr teeth are first pulled in the first hour or so a clot is formed ddep in the socket but is very delicate and can get dislodged easily- if that happens you get what's called dry socket and it hurts like hell!
    Here's a link to symptoms:

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/dry_socket.htm

Advertisement