Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Anyone experienced lasting changes like thinning or sunken shape of face or jawline after wisdom extractions?

No......

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Happened for two people I know.
    One had tooth on one side removed, noticeable lack of facial symmetry months later so had opposite side removed. His face definitely looks thinner now, but at least more even again.

Getting an impacted wisdom out soon myself so just trying to decide whether to get both sides done

http://askthedentist.com/can-wisdom-teeth-surgery-cause-a-narrowing-of-the-face/

http://www.vivawoman.net/2013/09/removing-wisdom-tooth-changed-face-shape/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Happened for two people I know.
    One had tooth on one side removed, noticeable lack of facial symmetry months later so had opposite side removed. His face definitely looks thinner now, but at least more even again.

Getting an impacted wisdom out soon myself so just trying to decide whether to get both sides done

http://askthedentist.com/can-wisdom-teeth-surgery-cause-a-narrowing-of-the-face/

http://www.vivawoman.net/2013/09/removing-wisdom-tooth-changed-face-shape/

Sorry but I can't agree with this idea and can't agree with your two links.

The reality is that your facial shape and contour is not solely reliant on a wisdom tooth tenting out your cheek. There is plenty of bone, skin, connective tissue, gland, muscle, fat and mucosa to hold the shape of the area in the absence of the wisdom tooth/teeth.

Your first link where the dentist says that models remove wisdom teeth to look better is funny...

Your second link, there may have been an altered appearance because of a post operative haematoma, causing persistence of a swelling/lump- not a depression where the wisdom tooth was removed. This is a reasonably common complication of surgery and usually but not always settles fully...

The next part of that link suggests that facial contour changes with the removal of teeth with orthodontics and yes it will because the removed (usually premolar) teeth allow space to retract and align the front teeth and this usually results in lesser lip support and a changed appearance.... but usually a desired change in appearance as this was the purpose of the braces....!!

But to suggest that removing wisdom teeth changes your appearance generally is wrong.... I do this procedure 10 times a day and don't come across this problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Ok well great, hopefully you're right then!
    Thanks for all your feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Loblox

I have a feeling I'll need to get at least one wisdom tooth pulled soon.

Backstory: a few years ago I had both wisdom teeth on my right flare up. The dentist said that, ordinarily, he'd pull them both and be done with it, but I asked if there was any way to avoid that because I was starting a new job the very next day. I don't remember what he did exactly, he killed the nerve but I don't know what the procedure is called, I was in a great deal of pain and on anesthetic so my memories are a little fuzzy. I think maybe he did it to all four, just to be safe. He did say that they would one day cause pain and would have to be removed, no matter what, so there's that.

Anyway, I've had a pretty bad pain in the general region of the wisdom teeth for the past few days, so I'm looking around for a decently priced place because I don't have any kind of coverage. I'm in Cork, but I can get around the country easily enough. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
Advertisement