Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maria76

Its great to hear some positive stories and not all bad!

Can anyone say how long the sedation lasts? Does it wear off gradually or do you all of a sudden say....where am i? are my teeth out???? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

My operation took two hours and I remember slightly coming to about 20 minutes before the end when I felt a chipping at my tooth (nothing painful). I don't remember anything else until I was brought into recovery - ddn't particularly like that bit (I felt very sleepy and I had pins & needles all over my body for about 30 minutes) but it was okay.

If you're being sedated (as opposed to general anasthetic), make *sure* you eat before you go in. I slept in and missed breakfast (appointment was at 8am) and I think it affected my recovery period.

Thanks Markpb! That helps, Although I am hearing so many conflicting stories about what to do before hand!

The surgeon told me to stop eating 2 hours before. His list of do's and dont's said 4 hours and someone i know said she was told to eat just before she went in!

My own dentist said do not eat on the day but also said u must have a full tum for local which is a bit contradicting.

I wont have any fear of sleeping in considering im already losing sleep over it!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

maria76 wrote: »
    Its great to hear some positive stories and not all bad!

Can anyone say how long the sedation lasts? Does it wear off gradually or do you all of a sudden say....where am i? are my teeth out???? :p

I was out for about 45 minutes and they took out 4 in that time. Waking up was like waking up from a nap, I was a bit groggy/spaced out but I knew where I was and was able to walk/talk OK. No sickness or pins and needles. After the bleeding stopped (approx. 10 mins) I was able to walk back to the changing room and get dressed then walk back to the recovery area for a cup of tea.

On the pre-op litrature I was given it said to fast from midnight the previous night; no food or liquids including water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Ciaran B wrote: »
    On the pre-op litrature I was given it said to fast from midnight the previous night; no food or liquids including water.

That sounds like general anaesthetic, not sedation. They always say not to eat or drink before general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Have had savage tooth aches for the past few days, decided to go to a dentist today, no appointment, had one wisdom tooth removed, in and out in 40 mins(including waiting time) with a European Health Insurance Card, all it costed me as €10, I love Germany, but hate the excruciating pain that i'm now in

Well for anyone who has been worrying about having their wisdom teeth out, I say dont

I had 2 of mine out last Monday under sedation (I was not knocked out)
    I can only remember the sedative being put in my arm and then I remember leaving. I had very little pain, bleeding only lasted about 12 hours and I was back to normal in no time

Defo recommend having it done under sedation, I beleive the recovery time is supposed to be quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Went in to have mine out 2 days ago under general anesthetic, had to get 6 out(2 small supernumerary ones, three dentists had never seen it before). He ended up leaving one tooth in, i think it was too akward to get but shouldn't cause any trouble in the future.

Had to stay the night in the hospital because there was a lot of bleeding from one of them and it had to be packed a fair bit. He took the packing out before i left, i swear there was a foot of gauze in that hole!

At home now, still stiff and quite swollen, have to say not much pain. One side of my chin has some numbness, but it's tingling which is supposed to be a good sign.

Over all, happy enough, will be happier when the numbness goes, but it's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I was told I would need my top one out due to it growing slightly sidewards.. theres no decay or anything, so hoping the dentist could be wrong and I'll survive with it :o
    I'm pertrified of going for even just fillings, *
    my dentist didn't give me enough anesthetic once and I flipped out when he drilled into me cheek.. drill nearly went through my cheek :(
    * That was the last visit I had and he told me I'd have to get it out in the next 2 years at max.
    I really really really don't want to get it done but, anyone know of a good dentist in the midlands?

**Dont read if you have a phobia**

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Flojo wrote: »
    I was told I would need my top one out due to it growing slightly sidewards.. theres no decay or anything, so hoping the dentist could be wrong and I'll survive with it :o
    I'm pertrified of going for even just fillings, *
    my dentist didn't give me enough anesthetic once and I flipped out when he drilled into me cheek.. drill nearly went through my cheek :(
    * That was the last visit I had and he told me I'd have to get it out in the next 2 years at max.
    I really really really don't want to get it done but, anyone know of a good dentist in the midlands?

**Dont read if you have a phobia**

Don't worry about it, if you're that nervous try and get it under general anesthetic, you won't feel/remember a thing and you'll get a nice sleep out of it. Also seemingly the top ones have a very low chance of complications compared to the bottom ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

gerry87 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, if you're that nervous try and get it under general anesthetic, you won't feel/remember a thing and you'll get a nice sleep out of it. Also seemingly the top ones have a very low chance of complications compared to the bottom ones.

Cheers hun feel a bit better about it now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Had mine out this morning and feeling fine tbh. Got top and bottom on the left hand-side out under general anaesthetic with Cliffe Beirne in the Sports Surgery Clinic in NorthWood.

Arrived in 7.15 in the morning and I reckon I was in surgery by about 8.30/9. Left the dayroom about 2.30. Staff there were fantastic, very professional and caring.

General anaesthetic was fine. They gave me some oxygen or something first which made me light-headed. They then gave the anaesthetic, the only thing I remember after that is waking up in the recovery room asking "is it over yet?" like a right eejit. GA was the part I was most nervous about and it is nerve-racking when you're lying on the table and they're getting ready to put you asleep.

Recovery was fine. They put me on a drip, gave my oxygen and some orange juice and a yoghurt which made me feel much better. By this stage I was fully lucid and knew where I was, what was happening, was able to talk, etc. Was waiting around for a while to be discharged and actually got a bit bored even though I'd brought a magazine. The nurses gave me my sick note, prescriptionn and explained everything that I had to and what medications did what.

And now the first evening and I'm still OK. No real pain, mostly down to the level of pain-killers I'm on! I can feel the stitches and holes in my mouth which is weird, but I try not to think about it too much.

So for anyone who's nervous about going in for the surgery, I would say don't be. I'm getting on grand so far and all the staff were just so nice that they took all the anxiety away

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Deedsie wrote: »
    He only took one of them out, the sedative wore off. Said id have been in too much pain. Cant really open my mouth fully. Gonna suck having to go back again. Apparently this one wont be a bad.

wow that was lucky only having to get one of em out!! Do you need to go back another time to get the rest out or are they alrite? hope it wasnt too bad for ya:(

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

I've been experiancing a lot of pain with all four of my wisdom teeth at different intervils for the past 2 years now! I'm going to the dentist next week:( and reckon I might need to get one or more of them removed. I'm terrified but I'll do what I have to do... :o:eek::(

My questions are:

1) A friend of a friend said his dentist recently advised him to have a wisdom tooth out. BUT, because it is a "wisdom tooth" and not an ordinary tooth, the dentist told him he has to go on a waiting list with a 6 month backlog.:eek: It's not going to be done in the dental practice he usually attends either, it's another place he was referred to, again, because it is a wisdom tooth!!
    Does this happen in every dental practice for wisdom teeth?!? Could this be because he has a medical card??

2) Can you request to be "put asleep"/sedated while undergoing the procedure??? Or do they only do this in certain dental surgeries?! (as previously stated, I'm terrified so I'd rather be knocked out for it if I could!!!):P

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

I've been experiancing a lot of pain with all four of my wisdom teeth at different intervils for the past 2 years now! I'm going to the dentist next week:( and reckon I might need to get one or more of them removed. I'm terrified but I'll do what I have to do... :o:eek::(

My questions are:

1) A friend of a friend said his dentist recently advised him to have a wisdom tooth out. BUT, because it is a "wisdom tooth" and not an ordinary tooth, the dentist told him he has to go on a waiting list with a 6 month backlog.:eek: It's not going to be done in the dental practice he usually attends either, it's another place he was referred to, again, because it is a wisdom tooth!!
    Does this happen in every dental practice for wisdom teeth?!? Could this be because he has a medical card??

2) Can you request to be "put asleep"/sedated while undergoing the procedure??? Or do they only do this in certain dental surgeries?! (as previously stated, I'm terrified so I'd rather be knocked out for it if I could!!!):P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

nachos wrote: »
    Had mine out this morning and feeling fine tbh. Got top and bottom on the left hand-side out under general anaesthetic with Cliffe Beirne in the Sports Surgery Clinic in NorthWood.

Arrived in 7.15 in the morning and I reckon I was in surgery by about 8.30/9. Left the dayroom about 2.30. Staff there were fantastic, very professional and caring.

General anaesthetic was fine. They gave me some oxygen or something first which made me light-headed. They then gave the anaesthetic, the only thing I remember after that is waking up in the recovery room asking "is it over yet?" like a right eejit. GA was the part I was most nervous about and it is nerve-racking when you're lying on the table and they're getting ready to put you asleep.

Recovery was fine. They put me on a drip, gave my oxygen and some orange juice and a yoghurt which made me feel much better. By this stage I was fully lucid and knew where I was, what was happening, was able to talk, etc. Was waiting around for a while to be discharged and actually got a bit bored even though I'd brought a magazine. The nurses gave me my sick note, prescriptionn and explained everything that I had to and what medications did what.

And now the first evening and I'm still OK. No real pain, mostly down to the level of pain-killers I'm on! I can feel the stitches and holes in my mouth which is weird, but I try not to think about it too much.

So for anyone who's nervous about going in for the surgery, I would say don't be. I'm getting on grand so far and all the staff were just so nice that they took all the anxiety away

Same same, I had two left ones out with Cliff Beirne, (a very nice man) three weeks ago, no problem with the general anaesthetic, and I had never had one before.
    Recovery was grand, took painkillers when needed, just Solpadeine, didn't need those DF118's they gave me, apparently they're very strong on your stomach.
    Was quite out of it when I woke up, think the nurses had a tube down my throat taking away some blood, also my mouth was packed, but I felt fine in no time and just relaxed with my yogurt and OJ.
    Went in at 7am and was home in my house before 11

One of mine was impacted and apparently he had to take away some bone and went very close to the nerve but I've lost no feeling in my lip or gum, so happy days.
    It cost me €250 and another €80 when I went back for my post-op appt last week, the rest covered by Quinn (Essential plus Excess plan).

So all in all, miminal discomfort is the main result, no real pain as such and no bruising, although a bit of swelling, so if you're having it done don't worry, everything will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

JCDUB wrote: »
    Same same, I had two left ones out with Cliff Beirne, (a very nice man) three weeks ago, no problem with the general anaesthetic, and I had never had one before.
    Recovery was grand, took painkillers when needed, just Solpadeine, didn't need those DF118's they gave me, apparently they're very strong on your stomach.
    Was quite out of it when I woke up, think the nurses had a tube down my throat taking away some blood, also my mouth was packed, but I felt fine in no time and just relaxed with my yogurt and OJ.
    Went in at 7am and was home in my house before 11

One of mine was impacted and apparently he had to take away some bone and went very close to the nerve but I've lost no feeling in my lip or gum, so happy days.
    It cost me €250 and another €80 when I went back for my post-op appt last week, the rest covered by Quinn (Essential plus Excess plan).

So all in all, miminal discomfort is the main result, no real pain as such and no bruising, although a bit of swelling, so if you're having it done don't worry, everything will be fine.
    Ok so I have had one my wisdom teeth out, top left hand side.

I am on a programme of getting my teeth repaired, they are in a bad need of it.

For the kick off , I went in to my dentist on Saturday so he did his summation of what I need done. I need quite few fillings that what I get for not going to the dentist regularly or taking care of them.

Anyways so the reason I went to the dentist in the first place was because I was getting extremely bad migraines from the left upper wisdom. So he stuck a cam in to my mouth for a better look, and damn it was rotten to the core. So he goes we will take it out, I said fair enough rip it out, so I am not sure that was a good idea, he said no problems. So he gave me an injection in my gum to numb it, and I went to the waiting room for 10 mins.

I come back, gum still dont feel that numb. He began the extraction, OH DEAR GOD, unreal pain for about 2 mins, pushing it back and forth as it was an absolute whopper of a tooth, but damn it I felt everything , I thought id hit the roof. BAM, it was out.

It bled for a while Saturday eventually stopped after about 2 hrs and the aching pain was quite bad, but again after 2 hrs it dulled. Up to now its still abit achey ( is that a word), but just stuck a mirror in me mouth their to see the work done, there is a huge hole in me gum, seems to be healing but damn what an experience.

My lower wisdoms are fine thankfully, but the top right is on the way like the one just out. I will wait a while with that though.

:) My wisdom tooth experience.

PS: it cost me 80 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

I'm getting two wisdom teeth taken out under general anaesthetic. I've ongoing stomach problems, not serious, just a series of food intolerances. Sensitive tummy is all really. Just wondering if the pain meds they give you are really bad for your stomach?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I'm getting two wisdom teeth taken out under general anaesthetic. I've ongoing stomach problems, not serious, just a series of food intolerances. Sensitive tummy is all really. Just wondering if the pain meds they give you are really bad for your stomach?
    I cant talk , I got no pain tabs, I wasnt even told to take any, I just took nurofen plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I got a wisdom tooth out yesterday and was told afterwards to take nurofen, so did so when I felt a bit of pain, once the numbness wore off. I don't think nurofen can be taken if you have stomach problems so better off mentioning it to them just incase. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Just got all 4 wisdom teeth out yesterday. I was under general anesthetic, the staff were talking to me, asking questions, I could feel the anesthetic being pumped in, and all of a sudden the room went spinny, I told them I felt woozy... and I was out! When I first started to lift out, I couldn't open my eyes, but I felt pain in my mouth, so I thought they were still working on me, and I told myself to go back to sleep. The second time when I finally opened by eyes... I thought they were still working on me, very painful... and then I realised that they were just waiting for me to wake up. My first words were to the nurses "I'm really really sore". They gave me wonderful meds though that really helped. I went to the Northbrook clinic, and all the staff there are wonderful, so nice and helpful, I really couldn't recommend them enough :). Oh, and it may seem a bit weird, but as your mouth and nose are connected, you'll probably have a bit of blood in your snot when you blow your nose for a few days afterwards. Oh, I've also lost my voice a bit and a bit of a sore throat.

I'm still in a good bit of pain... very swollen, despite taking arnica for 2 weeks before op, but no brusing. However, my surgeon told me that I could take longer to recover and have more swelling as I grind my teeth at night. It's only when I'm stressed or drunk, but considering I was extremely nervous before the op I'd say I was probably grinding quite a bit.

I'm still taking the arnica, and applying the arnica cream on the outside of my face. One recommendation - do not miss your meds! I received antibotics and 2 painkillers... I left it a bit to long this morning and I'm feeling it now! Make sure after the op that you have someone with you that will wake you to take the meds. Ask your dentist if you have stomach issues. I know that you must eat before taking these as they can be harsh, but your surgeon should be able to find one that's appropriate for you.

I can't shut my jaw fully, so no solid foods for me. I've the fruit baby food (not bad... just like applesauce, but it's just purreed fruits, so it tastes nice. Word of advice though - the raspberry and banana whip is not nice! Stick to the plain fruit ones), ice cream, and yougherts. I'm sticking to cold foods at the moment, as a friend of mine's dentist said warm foods can encourage swelling. It will be lunch time soon... I'm having a smooth Glenisk organic kid's youghert and William pear organic Boot's baby food :D. It might not sound appealing, but I have no desire to evening think about any food that needs chewing at the moment.

I think I'm probably just a bit of a worse case due to grinding, the girl next to me said she didn't feel bad at all, but then again she may have only had her top ones out? I know it will be worth it in the end though... a bit of pain now will save the reoccuring pain I was going through every 2-3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ellie08

I had all four wisdom teeth out thursday and I can honestly I have never experienced such pain in all my life! My teeth had been hurting on and off for about 7 years since they first started to develop and I knew I would need them out eventually.

I was covered by VHI so decided to have them out under general as a daycase in hospital. The procedure was fine and i felt fine coming out of hospital but that was because i was still numb and drugged up. Friday was worse - I was all swollen and bruised and in pain - but nothing could have prepared me for the pain i would go through on saturday (yesterday) - the pain was so severe I actually passed out and fainted in my living room. I have 5 tatoos and a number of body piercings and always thought i had quite a high tolerance for pain until now :(

went to bed at 10pm last night and couldnt sleep a wink - tossing, turning and crying - my boyfriend thought i was exaggerating until he turned on the light and saw the blood in my mouth!

Its 6.30am and ive been up since 4am because it hurt me too much to lie down in bed. I hope today is better - im eating painkillers like smarties and since i suffer from IBS i know im going to really upset my stomach and will feel even worse in a few days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hi guys, this thread is pretty cool but I do want some advice!
    I got one wisdom tooth out on tuesday last-growing sideways-under general anasthetic. So was given antibiotics/diafine/solpadeine for pain after.
    So I've had lots of work on my mouth before with braces and the like and it turned out the pain on wednesday and thursday was fine, bit achey but I could open my mouth and eat and everything. I was a bit woozy from the general and the antibiotics but everything waas going great.
    Then on Thursday night-over 48 hrs after the surgery I woke up in the middle of the night in absolute agony,like throbbing jaw unable to sleep and it wasn't just the site of the extraction either-the two teeth beside it were really sore too. Since then I've been in a significant amount of pain. Its slightly better than that thursday night but I'm still having to take solpadene and any laughing, excessive talking, chewing makes it throb like a devil!
    I just can't understand why it was fine for two days before it got sore? Is it possible I got an infection or something or is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ellie08

Its been over three days since my surgery and today just wasnt any better. I am still in agony, and like the previous poster (musicmental85) mentioned - any prolonged talking, laughing etc is making it even worse. If it hasnt got any better tomorrow Im going to make an appointment to see my own dentist incase an infection has set in. Ive got a fierce temperature now also :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I got my wisdom teeth out last Thursday... I'm still in pain, not nearly as bad though, but I've only really eaten soft cold foods so far that don't require chewing (eg youghert, fruit babyfood, frozen youghert). I have bit down on my jaw a bit yesterday and today (when trying cool scrambled egg... no pain, but it did get caught in my stitches which was a pain to remove!)

But, when I bite down now... my teeth / fillings feel soft... nearly like they are kind of sticky, some teeth feel a little bit loose. Has this ever happened to anyone else, and is it anything I should be worried about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hollybabs

I got all 4 wisdom teeth out last year and it was the worst thing ever :( All 4 were still in the gums so had to be cut out and after I looked like the elephant man for about 2 weeks, was on baby food and eggs cause I didn't have to chew them, I was ok for a week and then picked up an infection and then tonsilitis, in the end I was off work for 6 weeks :eek:
    Think I'm able for anything now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

I had my wisdom teeth out on Sunday, its now Wednesday and I can honestly say I have not been in pain at all. I was prescribed Difene but didn't take it as I have stomach problems. I think they key is to take some painkillers, I was given Solpadeine, the minute you start to feel even a little twinge of pain. They gave my Solpadeine in the hospital about 2 hours after I came around and since then I've taken Panadol 3 times a day and haven't felt any pain. The trick is to kill the pain before you notice it. Going mad on soft food though, and my stitches are really in the way of my tongue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Hi guys, this thread is pretty cool but I do want some advice!
    I got one wisdom tooth out on tuesday last-growing sideways-under general anasthetic. So was given antibiotics/diafine/solpadeine for pain after.
    So I've had lots of work on my mouth before with braces and the like and it turned out the pain on wednesday and thursday was fine, bit achey but I could open my mouth and eat and everything. I was a bit woozy from the general and the antibiotics but everything waas going great.
    Then on Thursday night-over 48 hrs after the surgery I woke up in the middle of the night in absolute agony,like throbbing jaw unable to sleep and it wasn't just the site of the extraction either-the two teeth beside it were really sore too. Since then I've been in a significant amount of pain. Its slightly better than that thursday night but I'm still having to take solpadene and any laughing, excessive talking, chewing makes it throb like a devil!
    I just can't understand why it was fine for two days before it got sore? Is it possible I got an infection or something or is this normal?

You might have an infection there alright, give the dentist a ring, chances are he/she'll get you to come in and wash out the site and place a bandagey thing over it that tastes like cloves, its gets rid of the infection if its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

had 2 of mine taken out this morning under local anaesthetic in the dental clinic. Was nervous all week and couldn't sleep for 2 nights beforehand. Heard all the bad stories so was prepared for the worst. Initially i was told it would take 30 mins to complete the extracton. So i went in, at 9.30am and was out by 9.50am.

After all my worrying, the worst part was the injection at the start and even that didn't hurt. Didn't feel a thing. Took less than 5 mins for remove the 2 of 'em (RHS). Paid 130e for them and off i went. Feeling grand now.

I'm probably lucky as i didnt need to go for surgery. Anyway, if you are worried like me, don't be. There is minimal pain durng the whole thing. :)

Let's hope i can sleep tonight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

winston82 wrote: »

I'm probably lucky as I didn't need to go for surgery. Anyway, if you are worried like me, don't be. There is minimal pain during the whole thing. :)
    Same here. Had one out last week. He just numbed my mouth, yanked it out in about 2 minutes, stuck a cotton ball in my mouth and sent me on my way. Felt it come out but no pain, just a dull acknowledgement of what directions he was pulling. After the numbness wore off after a few hours there wasn't any pain. My mouth just felt a bit raw for a few days. It was actually 3 or 4 days after before I felt some pain but that was my fault cos I couldn't resist going back on the ciggys any longer :o So stopped again and a day or 2 later was back to normal.

This thread really had me shitting bricks but it was grand in the end. For anyone else worried about it talk to your dentist and he will probably be able to advise how severe it's going to be but not all wisdom tooth extractions will leave you in agony for weeks.

Advertisement