Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gboard

Amzie wrote: »
    by the way Gboard the Anesthetic was grand didnt hurt atal that was the part I was dreading the most!!

Good to know .. Wish you well soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

One of my widom teeth is causing me terrible troube, my gum flared up yesterday and I haven't been able to close down my top teeth since, I have to leave a gap of around 1 cm because of the swelling. My throat is very sore too the infection seems to have spread down there, I barely slept last night because every time I swallowed the pain woke me up.

Anyway, I went to the dentist first thing this morning and he told me I'll have to get my four wisdom teeth out. From the way he was talking, I was under the impression that he was going to take all four of them out himself, at one time, but when I said this to someone else they said there was no way he would do that. I've read through the thread and it seems most of the people who had all of theirs taken out had it done in hospital. Is this the norm? Did I take my dentist up wrong or may he be able to take them out himself? I really don't want to go to hospital!!!

He told me the procedure costs a fortune, but that I could take out a health insurance policy (don't have any cover at the minute) and wait a few months. I was looking at VHI's DeCare Dental without any hospital cover, should this be enough cover for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

i've had 2 wisodm teeth taken out by my local dentist. they were the upper teeth. now my lower left is at me. i hate teeth!!

anyone know if the upper or lower teeth are the worst to get out

slingerz wrote: »
    i've had 2 wisodm teeth taken out by my local dentist. they were the upper teeth. now my lower left is at me. i hate teeth!!

anyone know if the upper or lower teeth are the worst to get out

had a lower left wisdom tooth taken out by my local dentist about an hour ago. what a bloody ordeal!!! Fairly sore now alright got some strong painkillers though which always helps. My last wisdom tooth would need to be surgically extracted as its not really after coming up yet so lets pray to god it doesnt start acting up!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I got my lower right wisdom tooth extracted in hospital by maxofacial surgen on wednesday. Had a local Anesthetic and was terrified but the actual procedure was not half as bad as I expected it to be. Im still off work though as the pain meds are making my very sick and im dizzy. Biggest problem at the moment is the size of my face. its crazy!! Really really swollen still and to me it looks like its getting bigger everyday!

It has taken a year for it to happen but Im a medical card holder and was able to put up with the pain so I waited. Was told it would have cost over €1000 if I wanted to pay myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

My dentist has told me that my wisdom tooth extraction has to be surgical, as its growing sideways, or something, and won't come up any more than it already has. Will they put me to sleep for this procedure? I know it sounds ridiculously sad but I don't think I could handle being conscious for a surgeon hacking away at my mouth while a nurse vacuums up bits of tooth and gum!
    I'm getting a referral to a surgeon next week, and I was wondering does anyone know the average waiting time? I'm private health insurance and would just like to get this all out of the way before college starts in September!
    Thanks so much in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Thought I'd share my experiences here....

Just back from my consultation with Cliff Beirne in the Northwood Clinic in Santry. Said my upper and lower wisdom teeth on the left-hand side will need to be taken out. Originally only thought I'd have the lower one taken out as that was the one that was giving me trouble. Got all inflamed and infected so much that I couldn't close my mouth properly. It was very nasty stuff altougher. To be honest, I'll be glad to get rid of them with the amount of hassle they've given me. I'm sick to the back teeth of them:pac:

I'm having them out on the 21st August, got to go in a 7.15. Says the operation has to be performed under general anaesthetic:eek: Not too worried about it, a means to an end. Consultant says that he'll be able to give me a sick cert and that I'll have to take a week off for it. Not looking forward to it, but it's gotta be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Hi all
    GF had 2 wisdom teeth out 10 days ago, same side top and bottom. Her face was very swollen for a week and bruised. She couldn't eat at all for 3 days and is still on smush. dentist sent her away with no painkillers .
    Anyway she's over the worst of it now but still in pain and can't open mouth properly. Her stitches seem to be going from the gum into her cheek on top and bottom. Is this normal or has he made a mistake?? She was told they would dissolve in 2 weeks but no sign of it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Got one of my wisdom teeth out when living in Melbourne. Cost $360! Then on way home I had to get another one out.... in Cambodia!:eek:

I was scared ****less but it was either get it out there or go home. Found the best dentist in Siem Reap and he actually took it out better than the dentist in Australia! All for the bargain price of ...$17.50! :D Was in pain a longer than when the first one was taken out, I think because there was no real after care, no healing cream. But alls grand now!

..and no stitches for either! Lucky me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ardinn2001

A friend of my sister had to get her wisdom tooth out, she was in extreme pain with it and thus couldnt go home - Yep! She got it taken out on the side of the road in india! By a man with a scalpel and pliers whos surgery resembled a bus stop - Gave her something for the pain beforehand but that is something I dont want to experience.

My dentist broke my wisdom tooth in bits taking it out. A truly horrible experience. Glad im over all that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Auction Lass

Hey everyone, to put you all at ease, I have had recurring growth spurts of my top left wisdom tooth for the past 4.5 years :(. It was only the third dentist that referred me to an oral surgeon...

2 weeks later (01/07/2008) I was sitting in Mr Murphy's chair when he asked 'will I take it out for you now or do you want to wait a month for a general?'... sick to death with migraines from the blasted thing, I said 'why not!'... he gave me three local anesthetic injections and left me sitting in the chair for about 2 minutes, then he came back told me I would feel a bit of pressure.............

5 minutes later, I was still waiting to feel the pressure when he said 'all done!', I couldn't believe it, paper cuts have been more painful...

2 hours later I was able to eat some spaghetti on toast moving onto poached eggs and solid food within 2 days. Only took 2 days off work because I was talking like a drunk woman :pac: and it was bleeding slightly...

It's now almost a week now and the only painkillers I used were some solpadene and Naprocyn (migraine tablets), but after Saturday, I didn't need any meds.

Pain is minimal, it's mainly discomfort of not being able to lie on that side of your face for a few days.... :D:D:D:D

Hey everyone, to put you all at ease, I have had recurring growth spurts of my top left wisdom tooth for the past 4.5 years :(. It was only the third dentist that referred me to an oral surgeon...

2 weeks later (01/07/2008) I was sitting in Mr Murphy's chair when he asked 'will I take it out for you now or do you want to wait a month for a general?'... sick to death with migraines from the blasted thing, I said 'why not!'... he gave me three local anesthetic injections and left me sitting in the chair for about 2 minutes, then he came back told me I would feel a bit of pressure.............

5 minutes later, I was still waiting to feel the pressure when he said 'all done!', I couldn't believe it, paper cuts have been more painful...

2 hours later I was able to eat some spaghetti on toast moving onto poached eggs and solid food within 2 days. Only took 2 days off work because I was talking like a drunk woman :pac: and it was bleeding slightly...

It's now almost a week now and the only painkillers I used were some solpadene and Naprocyn (migraine tablets), but after Saturday, I didn't need any meds.

Pain is minimal, it's mainly discomfort of not being able to lie on that side of your face for a few days.... :D:D:D:D

you got lucky!! i had my lower left taken out 10 days ago only came off prescription pain meds on Saturday and still going through paracetamol today! i have 1 wisdom tooth left and please god it wont come at me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maria76

I need to have my lower left wisdom tooth taken out. It's not impacted but has an abcess behind it. Im terrified about going into hospital. My dentist recommends I have concious sedation instead of general anaesthetic? Can anyone advise?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got all four of mine taken out 5 years ago under general anaesthetic by an oral surgeon - Dr Halpenny in Mount Carmel.

They had to be chipped out as they weren't able to come down.

I was a bit funny for a few days from the GA and my mouth tasted liked blood. Also, the painkillers made me get sick. Otherwise it was fine, absolutely no problems with the procedure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

maria76 wrote: »
    I need to have my lower left wisdom tooth taken out. It's not impacted but has an abcess behind it. Im terrified about going into hospital. My dentist recommends I have concious sedation instead of general anaesthetic? Can anyone advise?:confused:

Got two bottom teeth out today sedation dont remember and dont feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hey, im getting my bottom two wisdom teeth out next Thursday. Under sedation, im not worried about the procedure that much, but its the post op effects that concerns me. I am starting in a new office the following tuesday which gives me: Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday to recover. I just want to know based on peoples experience should this be enough time to recover? And also has anyone any tips that might speed the recovery procedure? Ive read about Arnica tablets? Are these any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hey, im getting my bottom two wisdom teeth out next Thursday. Under sedation, im not worried about the procedure that much, but its the post op effects that concerns me. I am starting in a new office the following tuesday which gives me: Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday to recover. I just want to know based on peoples experience should this be enough time to recover? And also has anyone any tips that might speed the recovery procedure? Ive read about Arnica tablets? Are these any good?

everyone reacts differently depends on how deep your roots are or are they still impacted?
    definately start taking arnica tabs a few days before the op it reduces the amount of brusing!some people recover in only a few days so maybe you will be one of the lucky ones:)fingers crossed:D

Amzie wrote: »
    everyone reacts differently depends on how deep your roots are or are they still impacted?
    definately start taking arnica tabs a few days before the op it reduces the amount of brusing!some people recover in only a few days so maybe you will be one of the lucky ones:)fingers crossed:D

Whats my quickest recovery chances? I usually heal pretty quick, never get sick. Pretty Strong and Healthy.

Any other advice?

He only took one of them out, the sedative wore off. Said id have been in too much pain. Cant really open my mouth fully. Gonna suck having to go back again. Apparently this one wont be a bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 asfadunk

ehh i started gorwing my lower right wisdom tooth last summer
    but the doctor took xrays and eventually it stopped growing
    she said that the lower left one would eventually in a year or so
    start growing as well

so as of now, i've been getting toothaches under my lower left molar(second)
    i think its my wisdom tooth, but im not suree, and i cant get to a dentist till next week

how do you know forsure its a wisdom tooth growing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I had my wisdom teeth pulled last year. They knocked me out totally (dentist's policy), and I thought it was great. Lots of good drugs, no pain at all, just a little soreness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I had my two lower wisdom teeth taken out four days ago and it was relatively painless. One was crowded but the other was impacted so I was sedated and given local anesthetic. The whole thing took four hours (one hour prep, two hours in the OR and one hour for recovery) and I'm slowly recovering now.

Today is the first day I've been able to look at solids but I can only chew on one side so far. I'm so sick of chicken soup and creamed rice you wouldn't believe it :D but if that's all I can complain about, I guess I'm doing okay.

I'm not a big fan of operations, needles or anything like that but it was fine. He did have to have a second go at giving me the sedation (first in the elbow failed for some reason, second on the side of my wrist worked) but I didn't feel a thing all the way through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had a wisdom tooth out under local anaesthetic at the dentists a few years ago, literally had the local and then sat there.

Next thing the dentist says ok, and that was it, the tooth was out, I was eating lunch an hour later at my desk.

It's all down to the dentist if you are having it done in the clinic imo.
    No advice about extraction under general tho .

i had my lower left taken out 4 weeks ago and its still sore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maria76

A friend of mine had her lower impacted tooth removed on friday morning last, she was back in work on monday. No problems at all. Done under concious sedation and doesnt remember a thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

i got all my wisdom teeth removed by local anesthetic, everyone is different, but i found it unbearably painful not the precedure itself but the pain after. it took about 2 hrs all in all, felt nothing just the sensation of teeth being crushed and pulled.
    i could open my jaw for about 3 days, i cannot describe the pain i felt, i was drueling, couldnt look at anything remotely solid, it took about 2 wks to be back to normality.
    however i know people who have just felt slight pain for a few days
    best of luck anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AshTrollyDolly

Im due to get my lower wisdom tooth taken out on saturday and Im up the wall about the whole situation...I made sure that I am getting knocked out! Just have this fear that something is going to go wrong.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Here’s my wisdom teeth experience.

I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out in the Northbrook clinic last Monday, the 28th. I got their just before 8:00AM got checked in, examined, weighed etc and was on the operating table by10:30. I woke up about 45 minutes later and felt fine, I was pretty worried about nausea coming around from the anaesthetic but I didn’t feel sick at all. Just a bit spaced out. The nurse brought me to the recovery area, gave me a cup of tea, sick-letter for work, prescriptions, instructions etc and then I went home.

I felt grand for most of Monday, pretty sore but not ill. The pain killers were very effective but they seemed to upset my stomach so I just stuck to the paracetamol and the antibiotics. I ate some soup and bread but nothing else.

Tuesday was fairly bad. The pain woke me up a few times during the night and I felt pretty groggy the whole time so I took to my bed for the day. All I ate was jelly, some mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. I gargled with hot salt water a few times as well.

Wednesday was much better. Still sore but no sickness. I was able to eat toast, ham, cheese and other good stuff.

Thursday was better again. I had a proper dinner and continued gargling with the salt water.

Friday was like Thursday but I started to feel a whole lot less spaced out. Which brings us to….

Saturday. Much better today but I still can’t open my mouth properly (this is called trismus according to the literature I got from the clinic and can take 2 weeks to clear up). The pain is still fairly bad but it’s a background pain not something that’s stopping me doing stuff. No bleeding, no infection (fingers x’d). I’m due back in work on Tuesday next but I don’t know if I’ll be up for that as I talk on the phone all day and I can’t open my mouth properly.

Overall it was not nearly as bad as I expected but not a walk in the park either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I need to get my bottom wisdom tooth out and i have a medical card. Anyway, i'm in agony an i'm wonering whether this will be covered anywhere with a medical card. I was quoted 400Euro by a dentist and i can't afford that:eek: Maybe i should try TCD dental hospital. Any ideas please :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Trinity charged me 470 for removing two lower wisdom teeth. I don't think you can walk in and get an appointment though, you have to be referred by another dentist.

Advertisement