Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

convert wrote: »
    Thanks!
    No worries :) Yr dentist will (or should) tell you how to avoid it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Had a wisdom tooth out 10 days ago and most people I spoke to kept mentioning dry socket but no-one could tell me exactly what it was or describe it properly.

Thankfully I've avoided it and had a very straightforward procedure, despite having what the dentist described as a 'chronic infection' around the tooth.

Very little pain and quite a quick recovery, although I did look like a chipmonk for a few days (despite taking arnica and using cold presses!). I opted for local anaesthetic only, and it was grand.

Not nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

You can take steps to avoid dry socket, but some people just get it anyway. I was told I was at high risk due to a lengthy and difficult extraction. For some reason, my dentist didn't give me any gauze which didn't help matters.
    It's been 7 days since the extraction, and it's feeling better but it's far from normal. I'm still on soft foods and I wake every morning at 5am with the pain. On 3 ibuprofen a day and the odd paracetamol as well. I've had the socket packed twice now, and might have to go again. The dentist said it's rare that someone gets it done 3 times, so either it'll get drastically better, or it's a particularly bad one. It's a world away from the last time I got 2 wisdom teeth out, when I only took one painkiller all day and was eating dinner the next day. Bad luck I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

Hi guys,

I am getting all four wisdom teeth taken out under LA on the 15th October. Been in a tremendous amount of pain but can not wait to get rid of them. Dentist said I'll be fine but am a bit nervous about it especially since one is slightly horizontal with a cavity and another is broken but at this stage I jus want them out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DavidCochrane

I'm getting three teeth removed by an oral surgeon in the Hermitage on Monday, have to say I'm not too nervous. This forum (which is #1 whenever I've searched for anything from horror stories to general discussions) has been very helpful.

Probably getting to the stage were reading any more becomes a bit much, too much information + too much thinking.

I had a cyst removed from my mouth a few weeks ago by a surgeon who tended to do Wisdom Teeth Removal, I spent days being nervous about it, and then it was over before I thought it even began.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DavidCochrane

Welll I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday morning, not particularly pleasant, arrived at 6.30am and didn't get seen until 9.30am, so three hours sitting around waiting was very stressful.

Was under a General Anaethetic and the procedure took about 45 mins I think. It was incredibly painful in post-op and I'm not particularly happy with that part, the surgeon (sorry for naming him in previous post mods) was excellent I have to say, but the nurses were very loud talking to eachother, and it was impossible at times to get their attention. Pain + loud nurses was quite annoying, and didn't help!

I didn't leave the clinic until 3.30, as I wasn't feeling great and had to be given Oxygen.

I've been given precriptions for Augmentin, Solpadol and Ponztan.

I was also given RD118, but a bit of confusion over the wrong prescription being issued took a while to sort out.

Yesterday evening was quite sore, and from the GA and the drugs I was a bit zonked.

24 hours later, it's still painful, and I'm being careful to follow the instructions on the painkillers and augmentin and that. Haven't managed anything past youghurts or bananas yet, and have no appetite either.

Glad I got it done all-in-all - it's still very painful, but I know it'll be worth it in the long-term.
    I'm getting three teeth removed by an oral surgeon in the Hermitage on Monday, have to say I'm not too nervous. This forum (which is #1 whenever I've searched for anything from horror stories to general discussions) has been very helpful.

Probably getting to the stage were reading any more becomes a bit much, too much information + too much thinking.

I had a cyst removed from my mouth a few weeks ago by a surgeon who tended to do Wisdom Teeth Removal, I spent days being nervous about it, and then it was over before I thought it even began.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

24 hours later, it's still painful, and I'm being careful to follow the instructions on the painkillers and augmentin and that. Haven't managed anything past youghurts or bananas yet, and have no appetite either.

David, warm ready break might be worth trying next to balance up the diet a bit. It was my best friend for 4 weeks there back in October.

Worst is over, hang tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Welll I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday morning, not particularly pleasant, arrived at 6.30am and didn't get seen until 9.30am, so three hours sitting around waiting was very stressful.

Was under a General Anaethetic and the procedure took about 45 mins I think. It was incredibly painful in post-op and I'm not particularly happy with that part, the surgeon (sorry for naming him in previous post mods) was excellent I have to say, but the nurses were very loud talking to eachother, and it was impossible at times to get their attention. Pain + loud nurses was quite annoying, and didn't help!

I didn't leave the clinic until 3.30, as I wasn't feeling great and had to be given Oxygen.

I've been given precriptions for Augmentin, Solpadol and Ponztan.

I was also given RD118, but a bit of confusion over the wrong prescription being issued took a while to sort out.

Yesterday evening was quite sore, and from the GA and the drugs I was a bit zonked.

Glad I got it done all-in-all - it's still very painful, but I know it'll be worth it in the long-term.

Hi David,

I saw your earlier post (pre-edit) and I got my wisdom teeth removed by the same surgeon. He was lovely and i was really happy. I was fine the day of the surgery, hoovering a few hours after my General however i developed an infection a few days after. The taste in my mouth and the pain was awful. Went back to see the surgeon bawling my eyes out like a right fool!! Anyway, i have never been able to gargle so wasn't gargling salt water though i did have to learn when i got the infection! The point being, make sure you gargle plenty with salt water!! You'll be grand in a few days and honestly sometimes i just smile with the relief of having them gone, they caused so much trouble for so long!! Can't really advise on food cos all i ate were yogurts and tomato-mozerella salads!

I hope you feel normal soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I saw this thread before I had my OP( tues this week ) but decided not to read it as I knew there would probably be some horror stories etc which I didnt want to be hearing about.

Anyway all I wanted to do was advise people based on my very painful post op experience. Havnt slept since the OP and have been popping a morphine equiv every 4 hours on the button along with Panadol. The pain has been very severe with a slight let-up today, but I stupidly decided to ease off on the hard stuff to see if I would get along without them and bang the pain hit me like a train again today after missing one tablet.

Anyway I could go on moaning but my advice would be unless there is a reason for the extraction dont have it done especially on your lower jaw.

For various reasons I had to have my two uppers and one lower removed but had the other lower removed just for the craic seeing as he was taking 3 out he may as well take em all.

Excuse my morphine unduced language but this is utter horse****. The lowers are a world of pain, if you only have to get one out then just get the one out.

And if you dont need them out but are advised to get them out by your dentist in case something might happen i.e to make their life easier when they are cleaning your teeth...... DONT get them out.

You may have a relatively painless experience like many but if you are unlucky like me it really isnt worth it.
    I would take an infection any day of the week. !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sunflower1

Hi Poncherello,
    Sorry to hear that you're in a lot of pain. I had all my wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic two years ago and found that holding a hot water bottle or a microwaveable heat pack to my lower jaw, helped to relieve the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

I had all four wisdom teeth extracted a month ago. My bottom wisdom teeth were very impacted into the teeth infront. The top ones were fine but the surgeon reccommended them to be taken out.

I went in for 7am. Surgery started at 9:30am. Woke up in recovery around 10:30am and was brought back to the ward. I fell asleep for a bit. Then woke up fully awake and started reading a book. The nurse was quite suprised how awake I was. I was in and out of feeling nauseas and quite light headed and dizzy.

The nurses and attending doctors were quite loud when chatting but to be honest it helped me stay distracted. I have to say the nurse that was looking after me was lovely and attentive. Surgeon came to see me and said they had to take out a bit of bone. I had to eat some yogurt and I drank some orange juice. Got discharged at 1:30pm. Still feeling nauseas, dizzy and in pain. I went straight to bed when I got home.

Day 1 of recovery (the next day) - Feeling nauseas and light headed but that night in bed I could feel my face beginning to swell and pressure on the sutures. Day 2 - Looked in the mirror and my cheeks/jaw were very heavily swollen. I drank an Ensure drink to get some energy. It was difficult to open my mouth. Day 3 - still swollen and some pain. Day 4 - Nausea, swollen and pain. Day 6 - Slightly nauseas. Swelling went down and I could now eat proper food. 3 times a day I used salted water for mouth wash. It is very awkward to brush your teeth during the week of recovery.

The pain I had was kept at bay every 6 hours with the panadol/solpadine. It was obvious after the 5/6 hours when they were begining to wear off. I was giving a prescription for a stronger drug. The name I can't remember but I never felt the need for it.

I reccommend Mulipa 7 Cereals baby food. Yes it's baby food but it's easy to eat and it tastes nice. And of course very mashed potatos. Keep in mind whatever you eat during this time you may be put off it for awhile. ;)

It's been a month since my surgery. The top gums healed extremely quickly. The bottom ones are still healing. I still feel slight numbness on the gum on left side. :( I told my surgeon but he didn't seem worried. I know everyone is different but I found the surgery a lot easier than when I got my tonsils out. If anything it was more uncomfortable with the swelling and unable to open your jaw.

Well, that's my experience of it. Good luck with yours!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I had my upper right wisdom tooth extracted on Tue afternoon, and i must have been one of the lucky ones as i had basically no pain during and after. The procedure was around 5 mins total, and all that was used was the regular numbing agent i had for previous extractions. Took around a day to feel back to normal, and i can eat properly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NICEGUYEDDIE

Had 3 wisdom teeth out yesterday. 1 was down, 1 impacted and 1 still inside the gum but growing out sideways about half a cm up the gum.

I was very nervous but said to myself I just want it over and done. Had a chat with the surgeon beforehand and have to say he realy put my mind at ease and calmed me down. Was on an i.v. Cant describe it but I wasn't totaly knocked out but I don't remember anything except I moved about at some stage and remember him telling me to calm down.

If you are nervous about getting it done ,don't be. The most painful part was the i.v going into my arm. In and out in 30 mins. Not a huge ammount of pain but i'm taking lots of tabs and getting lots of rest. Some advice, take a few days off. Well worth it. Not the worst experience of my life but thank god it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

getting mine out on thursday. Top two. think its just LA. Doc said it shud be quick and easy. Hoping for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Getting my bottom 2 out in the morning. Woowoo.

Well got them out this morning and OW. The local anesthetic wasn't enough for me, I could still feel it. So they had to give me another dose. The left one came out easily enough. But the right one took a while because of some bone in the way or something. Now I am in pain. :( And got no painkiller prescription. Great!

Well nearly 5 days later and I'm still in pain. Keep waking up at night having to take painkillers. That don't work anyway. Can't eat solid food either. Is this normal? Or should it have stopped hurting by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Yes it is normal I am still in some discomfort 3 weeks later but thats a whole 'nother story !
    You are almost over the worst of it though.
    I dont understand what sort of dentist does not give you a scrip for decent painkillers ?? Whats that about ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 juji

Does anyone know if Quinn Healthcare will cover the cost of having an impacted wisdom tooth surgically removed under general anasthetic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

juji wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Quinn Healthcare will cover the cost of having an impacted wisdom tooth surgically removed under general anasthetic?

Yep, they did for me anyway. They covered everything except the first xray and consultants appointment though if i had bothered I think I could have got money back if I had sent in the reciepts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 badaulname

Got my 4 wisdom teeth out on Monday privately covered by VHI. Got the general anasthetic and prescibed 3 painkillers and an antibiotic. Feeling okay the last few days the mornings have been the most painful its like my system has run out of prescription meds before I wake up. So to solve it going to set my alarm tonight to wake me at some stage to pop a pill!!

Only issue I have is lack of food. Im not particularly hungry but I am type 1 diabetic and if anyone has it knows that regardless of appetite you hit rock bottom without decent carbohydrates!! :(:(

Evil-p wrote: »
    Yep, they did for me anyway. They covered everything except the first xray and consultants appointment though if i had bothered I think I could have got money back if I had sent in the reciepts.
    Thanks for the reply, I am only on the 'family starter plan' with Quinn, do you know if they will cover me on this plan?

badaulname wrote: »
    Got my 4 wisdom teeth out on Monday privately covered by VHI. Got the general anasthetic and prescibed 3 painkillers and an antibiotic. Feeling okay the last few days the mornings have been the most painful its like my system has run out of prescription meds before I wake up. So to solve it going to set my alarm tonight to wake me at some stage to pop a pill!!

Only issue I have is lack of food. Im not particularly hungry but I am type 1 diabetic and if anyone has it knows that regardless of appetite you hit rock bottom without decent carbohydrates!! :(:(
    Poor you, I hope you feel better soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

Had my botton one out last year it was buried below the gum aswell! Dreaded the though ot if it! Small needle for the anastetic all Il remember i the dentist asking if I was okay midway! Absolutley no pain what so ever! Cant even remember the few hours after it! Perfect expierence!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

had three out on wednesday under ga, everything seems to have worked out ok. got painkillers and anti inflamtoies, no pain eating soft foods, not as bad as i expected it to be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

I still dont have my wisdom teeth. Should I be concerned??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

got top left one out today, still bleeding a little bit.STARVING though! it was fine, although i knew the dentist was going at it like crazy, the anasthetic meant there was no pain.little bit of pain now that it wore off but one paracetemol and im ok again.

i had my top left out last yr which required stitches as a bit of bone had to come with the tooth but none of that this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Got 2 out on wednesday...both bottom ones...the left side of my face is still totally numb, cant feel my lip..rang the hospital today and they said this was normal enough...im v worried i wont get feeling back.
    Anyone else had this?
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭TDiamond

Can anyone tell me if it's likely I have an infection in my wisdom tooth? My face is swollen and I literally can't open my mouth any wider than 2cm! My throat is really sore when I swallow (but this mightn't be connected). I really want to get it out but I don't think it's down far enough through the gum.....is that why some of you have had General Anesthetics?? I don't have health insurance.......I take it the GA is much more expensive than local? Any idea on prices and if you can put off paying till the end of the month?? Would I be right in saying they'd put me on anti-biotics instead of taking out the tooth to get rid of the infection? I have an appointment later. Also, on a slightly more vain note...is it true wisdom teeth change the shape of your face?! Sorry for all the questions!

Advertisement