Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas machine begging

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

stepbar wrote:
    TBH he doesnt look much of a kid........

Either way, it just makes me angry at the single-minded attitude of a lot of Irish people these days.

I agree that "begging" beside an atm, or being aggressive about it is not on, that makes me very very angry and I could never condone that.

But it also makes me want to bang heads when I hear people taking examples like those and applying them to an entire group in society.
    A group we as a country should be trying to assist rather than condemn.

If begging is somthing you dont like, then why not help do somthing about the problem? Rather than sit in your cosy house drinking you hot coffee and moaning about how terrible you assume these people are.
    IF we worked on sorting out such problems as addiction, homelessness, poverty, education etc THAT would be constructive in reducing the situation of people having to beg on the streets.

Does anyone *seriously* think somone would rather stand outside in freezing cold weather, rain and have to beg for survival and take abuse from the public on top of it, if they had a choice in the matter??

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, the MAJORITY of people who have to do this are not doing it because they see it as an "easy option" to live, they are doing it to survive. And there is a BIG difference between surviving and living.

B

PS, maybe people dont realise this, but there is a huge problem in this country where some people (especially immigrants) are being *forced* to go out every day (often with their babies) and beg, then give all of their collected money to somone who is no more than a pimp.
    These "pimps" also make sure they do what they are told with violence and unimaginable threats. There was even a case last year iirc of such a person threatening a romanian woman he would inject her 1 year old baby with heroin if she didnt comply.
    And ever wonder if maybe that mobile phone is supplied by somone as part of "keeping tabs" on his victim?
    Maybe next time you see some woman sitting there with her child begging, you may ask yourself "is she being made do this by some awful pimp" instead of "how horrible she is for bringing her child with her while she annoys me".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well said FranknFurter!

It's so easy to say "there's nothing to stop them getting a job then finding some place to live!"

Well how are they supposed to get a job with no bank account to cash/lodge their wages? How can they open a bank account without a permanent address? Places wont hire people without a permanent address, so they're stuck in a vicious loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does anyone *seriously* think somone would rather stand outside in freezing cold weather, rain and have to beg for survival and take abuse from the public on top of it, if they had a choice in the matter??
    Yes. During the summer, they usually want to stay on the streets, as they can drink their booze there. By their own choice.

=-=

Someone said they aren't there by their own doing... well, if they want they can give up the €100 a day job (begging), goto a hostel, then onto somewhere more pernament, and end up working in some job that pays a week what they'd get in two or three days.

=-=

If you give them any money, they can stay on the streets. They can get their fix, wheather it be booze or drugs. I ignore them, or tell them to f**k off. The only people on the streets I'm no longer rude to is those selling the Big Issue. At least they're trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Either way, it just makes me angry at the single-minded attitude of a lot of Irish people these days.
    Your post is just as single minded as anyone elses on the thread. It just happens to be taking an opposite view with it.

Most of the beggars i meet each day are drunks, junkies, or scamming. Scamming beggers make so much money its shameful.
    If i knew a person was starving or desperate i would defintely help them out. Since i cant tell which are though, i volunteer at other things.
    Either way i wouldn't be bothered about scammers or drunks if they weren't so intrusive each day.
    I've had the bus stop one done to me, Some guy will ask for money for a hostel or bus fare and after you give him enough, he'll ask EVERYONE at the bus stop even though he has enough by then, and then just cross the road to other bus stops.
    But these 2 fellas at the luas stop i mentioned are taking the piss. They ask for change when its falling from the machine so u cant say u dont got it, Then they go straight over to the pub across the road... Either way they get right in your face and bother everyone. Its so easy to see also that so many females particularly get a bit intimated by them. They get wide eyed and all tense. It would be ok if they stood at the side with a sign or sumthing, At least anyone that gets freaked by them can walk by, But the girls at the luas stop are standing still and need to wait on thier tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Personally I very rarely give money, the last time was I gave ten punts to an old woman I seen begging, that will tell you how long ago that was. It just looked like the wonan really need it. Professionally, I work with alot of people who beg, imo its is easy to say they don't want to be like that, of course, however, in alot of cases they do not want to change the cause of their difficulties, i.e. drink, drugs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Beggars who come into my shop exchange coins to the amount of 60 euro and more. This is actually more than I earn for an 8 hour shift. Yes, begging earns more than working! They can afford their hostels, one told me it was around 50 quid for a week and they're plump in the City Centre too.

If they have substance addiction and are begging to feed it, that was their own choice and it's their own choice to continue it. There are methadone clinics that are easy to get into and the Simon community help with the homeless part. The choice is ultimately theirs and not ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Chakar wrote:
    Theres a woman who begs from the gates of a church in Rathfarnham, Dublin across from the Yellow House.She's been there for years think she's a alcoholic or something but ever since I was a youngster shes been there.Thats a pretty crap life isn't it?

Yea, earning tax free money for scratching your ass must be really crappy.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

PS, maybe people dont realise this, but there is a huge problem in this country where some people (especially immigrants) are being *forced* to go out every day (often with their babies) and beg, then give all of their collected money to somone who is no more than a pimp.
    I agree Frank n Furter that it is wrong to dislike an entire ethnic group. It is wrong full stop, It is called racism further most of the people who beg in the street are Irish, further the ethnic group is ROMA GYPSY not Romanian.

But there is a broader issue. Why aren't these women selling their bodies instead of just begging. If they were to whore themselves out they would surely get far more.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Saw a one-legged girl begging at the lights near Tesco Clarehall yesterday, things are getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I particulary dislike this one legged romanian/polish black hybrid knacker sort that hangs around town. I tried to give him tuppence yesterday but only had a 100 euro note. Thankfully, he was able give me change from the prodigious wad in his back pocket. I thought it was rude the way that he stayed on his mobile the whole time organizing his various fraud rings but each to their own, I suppose.

Lets just kill them all. Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Why don't the gov/gardai give away the seized heroin to homeless junkies... good for the junkies (depending on how you look at it)... bad for the dealers since they have less demand... good for us because we don't get robbed/begged.
    It'd tripple the impact of every drug seizure surely. :confused:
    there's a thread in humanities all about this. we decided the best way to solve the heroin problem is to give away as much free as anyone wants
    Piste wrote:
    Well said FranknFurter!

It's so easy to say "there's nothing to stop them getting a job then finding some place to live!"

Well how are they supposed to get a job with no bank account to cash/lodge their wages? How can they open a bank account without a permanent address? Places wont hire people without a permanent address, so they're stuck in a vicious loop.
    i know its difficult to stop being homeless but not impossible by any means. i know if i somehow ended up homeless i wouldn't stay there for very long. the best way would probably be:
    1. beg enough to get some cheap, clean clothes and a hostel for an address. easily done in today's ireland. as the bloke said above, they get about 60 quid a day
    2. apply for a job in dunnes.
    3. work from there
    4. most importantly, don't spend all the money i beg for on heroin

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cushtac wrote:
    Saw a one-legged girl begging at the lights near Tesco Clarehall yesterday, things are getting worse.

Yeah she's been there for a good while now. It's kinda disturbing.

As for the fat Romanian kid with the accordian, I agree he doesn't look too under weight but his background circumstances could be pretty complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

StarryBud's guide to dealing with the HOMELESS in a sensible and respectible manner

All are good suggestions and positive options.

1 - Kick them in the balls/ovaries

2 - Punch them in the face

3 - Instead of going to the pub with your pals, arrange to meet up bringing baseball bats, boards with nails in them, sack of doorknobs and go BumHunting®

4 - Tell them to (a) go back to their own country, (b) get a job or (c) spit in their face and laugh (a personal favourite!).

5 - Douse them in petrol and set fire to them - a BumFire®! A festive treat for the upcoming Halloween season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Let s start with you, shall we StarryBud? Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I was waiting alone for a friend outside Dunnes on Georges St. on Sat evening and this skanger launched into a spiel about why i should give him money. I cut him off and politely but firmly said, 'No, sorry' and then he turned nasty and gave me dogs abuse. He was hanging out there at the bench in front of Dunnes with a shower of them. Now i'm no shrinking violet but i felt really threatened. I never give money to homeless people/junkies (i do to charity) and it's always gratifying to see how they usually instantly change from being 'nice' when looking for it to saying awful things when you refuse politely. It's not the first time this has happened to me. And i have to laugh (to myself obviously, i don't have a death wish) when they call me a stupid effing stuck up middle class bitch as i came from a poor farm myself where we hadn't much but worked very hard for 7 yrs in college to make sure i'd be ok. Also, every evening when i come out of Heuston there is a person begging at each one of the Luas ticket machines, actually huddled up beside it. There's no way to avoid them and i am so sick of it. I'd be a whole lot more likely to give ppl something if they weren't up my arse the whole time annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Or perhaps we could round them all up, and put them in camps where we can extract their gold teeth and perform hideous experiments on them to try and figure out how to make them into "better people" in accordance with what we believe makes good people in the first place. And then gas them. Oh wait, thats already been done you say?

Threads like this really show a face to some Boards users that is worryingly nonchalant towards violence and sickeningly dismissive of of their fellow man. Its easy to be flippant about attacking complete strangers, but its a fine line for some idiots between talking about it and actually doing it, and the many people who have been at the receiving ends of brutal random attacks on this fair island will understand that entirely.

Fine, I dont like people begging either, especially in an "in your face" way as some posters have mentioned, but theres so much barely concealed bullsh*t in this thread, I think I'll invest my life savings in a nosepeg factory. It is NOT your job to put these people in their place or to move them along. If the police and proper authorities dont or cant do it, then mind your own damn business and move along and get on with your priveleged life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have to say that it's very rarely I have been abused for not giving money to beggars. Are you sure you are "refusing (as) poilitely" as you think? :rolleyes:

missmatty wrote:
    it's always gratifying to see how they usually instantly change from being 'nice' when looking for it to saying awful things when you refuse politely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I agree that "begging" beside an atm, or being aggressive about it is not on, that makes me very very angry and I could never condone that.

But it also makes me want to bang heads when I hear people taking examples like those and applying them to an entire group in society.
    A group we as a country should be trying to assist rather than condemn.

If begging is somthing you dont like, then why not help do somthing about the problem? Rather than sit in your cosy house drinking you hot coffee and moaning about how terrible you assume these people are.
    IF we worked on sorting out such problems as addiction, homelessness, poverty, education etc THAT would be constructive in reducing the situation of people having to beg on the streets.

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, the MAJORITY of people who have to do this are not doing it because they see it as an "easy option" to live, they are doing it to survive. And there is a BIG difference between surviving and living.

B

These "pimps" also make sure they do what they are told with violence and unimaginable threats. There was even a case last year iirc of such a person threatening a romanian woman he would inject her 1 year old baby with heroin if she didnt comply.
    And ever wonder if maybe that mobile phone is supplied by somone as part of "keeping tabs" on his victim?
    Maybe next time you see some woman sitting there with her child begging, you may ask yourself "is she being made do this by some awful pimp" instead of "how horrible she is for bringing her child with her while she annoys me".

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!Beggers getting mobile phones from thier boss?What next,a company car?generous retirement package?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Archeron wrote:
    Or perhaps we could round them all up, and put them in camps where we can extract their gold teeth and perform hideous experiments on them to try and figure out how to make them into "better people" in accordance with what we believe makes good people in the first place. And then gas them.
    http://83.136.68.93/kitler/pics/kitler8.jpg
    Kitler Agree's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

StarryBud wrote:
    StarryBud's guide to dealing with the HOMELESS in a sensible and respectible manner

All are good suggestions and positive options.

1 - Kick them in the balls/ovaries

2 - Punch them in the face

3 - Instead of going to the pub with your pals, arrange to meet up bringing baseball bats, boards with nails in them, sack of doorknobs and go BumHunting®

4 - Tell them to (a) go back to their own country, (b) get a job or (c) spit in their face and laugh (a personal favourite!).

5 - Douse them in petrol and set fire to them - a BumFire®! A festive treat for the upcoming Halloween season.

Banned. Abusive language and trolling aint tolerated round these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

In town at least 3-5 times a week at night.

Homeless take turns on each bank machine, I have witnessed two of them having a Bumfight over who's shift it was.

As the majority are Alco's and junkies I feel very little sympathy for them.
    There are AA meetings for alcos. Majority who need it don't go.
    Likewise with Junkies, if they don't go there for help tough ****. I certainly won't be supporting them or caring what circumstances lead them down that path.

I've met an ex junkie before and some of the stories he was telling me were unreal. Once himself and his 3 brothers had robbed a car down in Meath and were driving back to Dublin in it. They drove too fast and flipped it. When another passer by came over to see if they were ok the gang proceeded to beat the crap out of him, threw him in the boot and use his car for a lift.

...and you'd like me to support that?

Although, in Japan... there are hundreds of homeless... hundreds. Although they have a certain sense of honour and will never take a hand out. They just won't accept it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

bide your time and when the moment is right fling them onto the tracks.That'll put a stop to their annoying behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Being a junkie is a fulltime job and a lifestyle choice,nobody is forced into it all they need to do is stop taking drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They need to do Big Brother with junkies... where they earn their fix by completing hilarious tasks.
    I'd watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

cushtac wrote:
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Yeah she's been there for a good while now. It's kinda disturbing.

Did you ever think that maybe it's just hard to get around on one leg? She might just need a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

The majority of beggars, in my experience, are addicts or alcoholics. The others are the disenfranchised who were thrown out of home by useless parents, or who have been made homeless due to abuse/depression/mental illness/inability to cope, often combined with debts. Then there are scammers and scheisters and Roma gypsies.

There are appropriate ways of helping the former categories and many of the posters here allege to - giving to the Simon community and similar organisations who do difficult and valuable work.

I also don't appreciate aggressive behaviour from any quarter and I simply walk away from it. However the majority of beggars pose no problems in Dublin. Perhaps you should try having some compassion. It's ultimately not their physical situations that are the problem - they're stuck in the poverty mindset which takes more than a job and a bed in a hostel to beat. They need whole-life rehabilitation.

I went to see Des Bishop in Vicar Street last Christmas and he made a really good point. Life is not about choices - it's about chances. I grew up in a poor family and we may not have had a car or gone on holidays but I was encouraged and given all the chances in the world. Not everyone is that lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The majority of beggars, in my experience, are addicts or alcoholics. The others are the disenfranchised who were thrown out of home by useless parents, or who have been made homeless due to abuse/depression/mental illness/inability to cope, often combined with debts. Then there are scammers and scheisters and Roma gypsies.

There are appropriate ways of helping the former categories and many of the posters here allege to - giving to the Simon community and similar organisations who do difficult and valuable work.

I also don't appreciate aggressive behaviour from any quarter and I simply walk away from it. However the majority of beggars pose no problems in Dublin. Perhaps you should try having some compassion. It's ultimately not their physical situations that are the problem - they're stuck in the poverty mindset which takes more than a job and a bed in a hostel to beat. They need whole-life rehabilitation.

I went to see Des Bishop in Vicar Street last Christmas and he made a really good point. Life is not about choices - it's about chances. I grew up in a poor family and we may not have had a car or gone on holidays but I was encouraged and given all the chances in the world. Not everyone is that lucky.

Best post in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Degsy wrote:
    ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!Beggers getting mobile phones from thier boss?What next,a company car?generous retirement package?

By saying "their boss" you are implying these guys are in some way decent. Thay are not, they are disgusting scumbags profiting in human misery.

Its common knowledge that pimps often provide their hookers with mobiles, to "keep tabs" on who is where and when, its a cheap tool and means they have to do less actually "watching" what makes you think this would be any less believable?

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Degsy wrote:
    Being a junkie is a fulltime job and a lifestyle choice,nobody is forced into it all they need to do is stop taking drugs.

Its rather more complicated than that.Junkies coming off drugs have their withdrawal period for nearly 3 weeks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Mairt wrote:
    Yea, earning tax free money for scratching your ass must be really crappy.

:rolleyes:

You know what I mean Mairt she's probably an addict and also everybody will treat her like shite.No place to live.No prospects.She's nothing had no positive effect on this world.

Advertisement