Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas machine begging

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Laslo wrote:
    Followed by an anecdote to back it up. To be honest mate, I'd imagine social services, even if grossly underfunded, do the best they can and aren't the incompetent, negligent monsters you make them out to be. At the end of the day, our taxes that have caused our government's books to overflow should be paying for a world class social services system. Why aren't they I wonder?
    my mother was a teacher in a bad area. one particular kid would come in every day with bruises. my mother told social services that his dad was beating him and what did they do? they made him sign a piece of paper saying he wouldn't do it again and he doubled the beatings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

#Elites wrote:
    wtf was that all about?

the life of a homless gay guy!?

still good video

Yeah, to show that life isn't that simple - a gay homeless guy :p

It won best documentary at some film awards thing last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I watched one of those guys begging by a LUAS Ticket machine get given about 25 euros in 15 minutes. The LUAS was delayed and I decided to count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

my mother was a teacher in a bad area. one particular kid would come in every day with bruises. my mother told social services that his dad was beating him and what did they do? they made him sign a piece of paper saying he wouldn't do it again and he doubled the beatings

Why didn't your mother go to the Gardaí?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I seen that documentary and I have to say if I met him on the street id give him a few quid he sound like a man who for some reason things have went wrong in life. He not ur average begger and deserves all the help he can get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Watched a documentary on Channel 4. The documentary makers (in the US) asked a few homeless people why there were doing what they were doing.

There was a good mix there, some wasters and some very unlucky people.

One woman told her story. She was married and both her and her husband had jobs. They had 3 kids.
    Her husband developed a chronic illness. After years of illness he lapsed into a coma, medical insurance cut her off. She took sabbatical to look after him and her kids. She lost her job later. Moved in with a few relatives for a few months at a time. Took some small jobs but nothing was enough to feed her and her kids.

She moved into accomodation and the people there take her social security cheques in exchange for a permanent address and a roof over her head. Very soon socal security will cut her off. not too many options there.

I know its not like the US (thank God). Its just that even here sometimes people fall on really really hard times, i.e. they have had it hard growing up, bad injury, psychiatric problems list goes on and on. At that point options are few. For a handful the choices they have get blurred by their situation and might abuse drugs as a result.

Give money to homeless shelters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

turbot wrote:
    I watched one of those guys begging by a LUAS Ticket machine get given about 25 euros in 15 minutes. The LUAS was delayed and I decided to count.

:eek: He's making more than me!!!!

Hmmm, well I have been thinking or a job change :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The perfect revenge (kinda manky):

"Any change bud" - no, sorry
    "Gizza smoke then, will ya bud", actually this is my last one
    *take a last drag, then push spit into the filter*
    but, sure i'm done, here ya are.

They take their first drag, and they get a mouthful of you!

On a side note, one dude asked me for a smoke outside fibbers, and it genuinely was my last smoke. I gave him the half remaining (without wetting it), and went back to talking to my friends, smile on my face. He started on me for "laughing" at him. That pissed me right off. No more smokes or change for anyone.

And finally, nothing will beat a junkie coming up to me when I was smoking a Vogue Superslim, and asking for a "shot of me joint". I gave it to him, and watched the disappointment trickle down his face. Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

thank god,
    other ppl are pissed off with these ****ers to! this man sits a the luas stop on the green every evening right beside the machine. the first evening i gave him my change never seen him there before so i felt obliged. he was there again the next evening and for the last 2 weeks hes been there. every evening the same " any change there bud wanna get some change for a hostel tonight" it there nowhere for these geezers to go??? he was by no means shabby lookin had trainers and tracksuit (usual skanger gear) and always says god bless every time even when you ignore him. i really felt like decking him this evening as he just stared at me the whole time. whats the best line to give them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its the fault of this country's "hand it to them on a plate if they dont feel like working" policiy that people feel they have the right to ask strangers for money.Give them nothing and let them work for a bloody living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

stepbar wrote:
    whats the best line to give them?

f*ck off!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 sharonlarkin

If you're anywhere around town, and you want to avoid the atm beggars, use the an atm in one of the local spar or centra shops, just an idea.....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Or say to the beggers "YOU give ME some money" and thrust your hand out..it works particularly well with romanians especially as they're loaded to beigin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I was in SPAR on Parliament St this morning and there was a girl outside collecting for charity (think it was Asthma prevention or research). Anyway as I was qing to pay for my milk I noticed a guy standing in front of the girl. Anytime somebody came out of the shop he would ask for "money so he could buy some food".. The girl kept trying to get in front of him to continue her collection but he wouldnt get out of her way and at this stage was right at the door.

The girl hadnt great English so she get waving her hand at him as if to shoo him away.. he kept shouting at her "Im Bl**ding homeless fcuk off I deserve it more then you do"..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yeah that really annoys me, but I find they go away fairly easily, I'm a poor student so they normally leave me alone when I mumble something about the bus home.

If you’re using the bus or Luas daily or both, get a Student Travel Card and then get student weekly or 30-day tickets, for Luas or bus or both - they save time, hassle and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I overheard 3 guys arguing about whose turn it was to "collect" in front of the Abbey St luas stop on Monday evening. They even had timeslots and everything! One guy got 20:00 - 22:30, and then it was another guy's turn.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

stepbar wrote:
    thank god,
    other ppl are pissed off with these ****ers to! this man sits a the luas stop on the green every evening right beside the machine. the first evening i gave him my change never seen him there before so i felt obliged. he was there again the next evening and for the last 2 weeks hes been there. every evening the same " any change there bud wanna get some change for a hostel tonight" it there nowhere for these geezers to go??? he was by no means shabby lookin had trainers and tracksuit (usual skanger gear) and always says god bless every time even when you ignore him. i really felt like decking him this evening as he just stared at me the whole time. whats the best line to give them?

is the girl in the tracksuit at the southbound machine gone?, i havent used the green line in a while.
    slightly ot but a mate of mine busks on grand parade in cork and she makes about €400 on a sat, we are all in the wrong jobs methinks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I take it begging is very common at LUAS machines? I was in dublin the other day - the one outside the main train station (cant think of the name) - and there was a chap asking for money for coffee. Gave him a few cents just to be nice, dont normaly donate a lot. Just whatever small change I have

Advertisement