Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas machine begging

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Chakar wrote:
    Its rather more complicated than that.Junkies coming off drugs have their withdrawal period for nearly 3 weeks!!

Cry me a river!I had asthma for ten years from working in a dusty environment.Withdrawal is no worse than a dose of flu,they're weak willed people and they dont want to take responsibility for thier own lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

gilroyb wrote:
    Did you ever think that maybe it's just hard to get around on one leg? She might just need a lift.

Judging by the amount of money she was getting, I reckon she could afford the fare home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Degsy wrote:
    Cry me a river!I had asthma for ten years from working in a dusty environment.Withdrawal is no worse than a dose of flu......

Are you serious?
    Withdrawing from drugs is a serious and dangerous time, any number of things can (and often do) go wrong, with somtimes some serious consequences.
    Damnit Degsy, if you are going to be irritating at least do it in an intelligent manner.

B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Are you serious?
    Withdrawing from drugs is a serious and dangerous time, any number of things can (and often do) go wrong, with somtimes some serious consequences.
    Damnit Degsy, if you are going to be irritating at least do it in an intelligent manner.

B

You have absolutely no idea what you've been talking about.You dont know any drug addicts,you've never lived on the streets and you seem to get most of your information from 1st year sociology books.The physical aspects of withdrawal are unpleasant and painfull,thats it.Not dangerous and not likely to go wrong.Giving up by cold turkey is the one way junkies dont like doing up so they almost never give up.Out of ten thousand herion addicts,maybe twenty will get off the gear and stay off.The idea that peopleespecially adults are forced to beg by mobile-phone providing "mr bigs" is too stupid to bear further comment.Go out and live in the real world,you might learn soemthing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd imagine it is dangerous to encounter a junkie going through withdrawl tbh. They're a danger to themselves and those around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

stovelid wrote:
    I particulary dislike this one legged romanian/polish black hybrid knacker sort that hangs around town. I tried to give him tuppence yesterday but only had a 100 euro note. Thankfully, he was able give me change from the prodigious wad in his back pocket. I thought it was rude the way that he stayed on his mobile the whole time organizing his various fraud rings but each to their own, I suppose.

Lets just kill them all. Now.

ROFL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Degsy wrote:
    Withdrawal is no worse than a dose of flu,they're weak willed people and they dont want to take responsibility for thier own lives.

Starting off, you say this, and then say FranknFurter's no idea what he's talking about? Dear lord.
    The physical aspects of withdrawal are unpleasant and painfull,thats it.Not dangerous and not likely to go wrong.

You do know that's another load of crap right? Unpleasant's a complete understatement. Have you ever given up smoking? Clearly not the cold turkey way. Not to mention the fact that it is very possible for withdrawal to turn very nasty.
    Giving up by cold turkey is the one way junkies dont like doing up so they almost never give up.

The one way they don't like? Did you ever think they don't give up cold turkey because it's so f*cking hard they can't?

The mind bleeds. And just to let you know, I know two people who were junkies, and they did give it up eventually after trying everything. I could try and arrange a meeting between them and you if you'd like? Then maybe you might understand that you are talking out of your ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Everyone... everyone in this country has the opportunity to avail of one of the best free educations that this planet has to offer and to make something of themselves. The Irish government supply more high-quality social housing these days to people that badly need it. There's a job in this country for anyone that wants one and who's capable to stay off smack for more than a few weeks.

Almost all of the benefits afforded to the lesser off have come at my expense as a 'middle class' (see 'new working class') young professional. The abundance of social housing (amongst other things) has helped push the price of property beyond a level I can afford. The degree and subsequent masters I worked my ass off for has earnt me little more per year than the sparks and builders I know that left school after their Junior Cert.

Now I'm not complaining about this situation. Although I have trouble paying the bills from time to time, I think it's great that Ireland is experiencing this kind of level playing field and that the wealth is distributed as evenly as it possibly can be (in fairness!)

My point is this - DON'T F**KING STOP ME ON THE STREET AND P*SS ME OFF LOOKING FOR MONEY, I F**KING DO ENOUGH ALREADY BY PAYING MY TAXES AND WORKING MY ASS OFF. I'VE DONE AS MUCH AS I CAN TO BE A GOOD CITIZEN AND PAID THROUGH THE NOSE TO HELP THOSE LESS FORTUNATE BY PAYING MY TAXES, IF YOU NEED MONEY PLEASE GO TO THE GOVERNMENT. I GAVE IT TO THEM TO GIVE TO YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Archeron wrote:
    Or perhaps we could round them all up, and put them in camps where we can extract their gold teeth and perform hideous experiments on them to try and figure out how to make them into "better people" in accordance with what we believe makes good people in the first place. And then gas them. Oh wait, thats already been done you say?
    Gas costs too much. Also, its a tad bit inhumane.
    Archeron wrote:
    Threads like this really show a face to some Boards users that is worryingly nonchalant towards violence and sickeningly dismissive of of their fellow man. Its easy to be flippant about attacking complete strangers, but its a fine line for some idiots between talking about it and actually doing it, and the many people who have been at the receiving ends of brutal random attacks on this fair island will understand that entirely.
    Totally agree. Just because they're homeless doesn't mean they should gt away with intimidating the little people.
    stovelid wrote:
    Are you sure you are "refusing (as) poilitely" as you think? :rolleyes:
    Little people, esp wimmin get frightened when scumbags become "loud and aggressive", and thus are more likely to give in.
    Laslo wrote:
    Everyone... everyone in this country has the opportunity to avail of one of the best free educations that this planet has to offer
    If they get the points. Kida hard if you live on the streets, instead of 9 to 5 in school.
    Laslo wrote:
    The Irish government supply more high-quality social housing these days to
    couples. Single people do get housing, but they wouldn't be at the top of the list. Marrying improves the chanes of getting a house alot, as its easy to house 2 married people in a 2 bed house than two complete strangers.
    Laslo wrote:
    The degree and subsequent masters I worked my ass off for has earnt me little more per year than the sparks and builders I know that left school after their Junior Cert.
    Degree takes four years. As does a sparks. When you come out, you get the same wage packet. Wow, who'd have guessed.

Laslo wrote:
    My point is this - DON'T F**KING STOP ME ON THE STREET AND P*SS ME OFF LOOKING FOR MONEY, I F**KING DO ENOUGH ALREADY BY PAYING MY TAXES AND WORKING MY ASS OFF. I'VE DONE AS MUCH AS I CAN TO BE A GOOD CITIZEN AND PAID THROUGH THE NOSE TO HELP THOSE LESS FORTUNATE BY PAYING MY TAXES, IF YOU NEED MONEY PLEASE GO TO THE GOVERNMENT. I GAVE IT TO THEM TO GIVE TO YOU!
    Totally agree. Also add the fact that untill recently, I was on min wage. I had no problem telling the chuggers that, and the chuggers keep at me. The beggers usually say no bother, and keep walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Laslo wrote:
    Everyone... everyone in this country has the opportunity to avail of one of the best free educations that this planet has to offer and to make something of themselves.

In theory yes, we all have to have an education until we are 16 etc. etc., but in practice this isn't so simple for everyone. What about kids whose parents can't afford to buy school books or uniform? What about kids (yes even little junior and senior infants) who have to look after even younger siblings cos their parents are too drunk/ high/ out begging to take care of them themselves? Or the kids who have to go out begging with their parents so that maybe they can eat that night?

Life isn't so simple.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    If they get the points. Kida hard if you live on the streets, instead of 9 to 5 in school.

If they get the points? Ah come on now. We can't all do actuarial mathematics or computer science. My point is that a basic, and very good, education is available to anyone in this country that wants one. The overwhelming majority of people living on the streets are well past Leaving Cert age.
    the_syco wrote:
    couples. Single people do get housing, but they wouldn't be at the top of the list. Marrying improves the chanes of getting a house alot, as its easy to house 2 married people in a 2 bed house than two complete strangers.

Well not everyone is married unfortunately. In this day and age, there are more and more people in their thirties, and even forties, who are still single. The price of housing for single people earning just above the affordable housing scheme cut-off point is pretty much out of reach while hundreds of lesser-off families get free housing all over the county. I'm not saying this is a bad thing... for these families. But think what it must be like to be a late 20's/early 30's single guy, earning a decent wage but being virtually incapable of affording a place to live!
    the_syco wrote:
    Degree takes four years. As does a sparks. When you come out, you get the same wage packet. Wow, who'd have guessed.

In a communist society perhaps. You're silly, sarcastic remark aside, it's generally accepted that nuclear physicists get paid more doctors get paid more than software developers get paid more than sparks get paid more than people who work in Supermacs, etc.
    the_syco wrote:
    Totally agree. Also add the fact that untill recently, I was on min wage. I had no problem telling the chuggers that, and the chuggers keep at me. The beggers usually say no bother, and keep walking.

That's just it, a lot of them don't. Like some of the people on this forum I've had to put up with behaviour ranging from irritation to sheer abuse from beggars over the last few years of living in Dublin city. My point is that I feel I do enough in the course of my civic duties not to have to put up with any of their s**t.

Piste wrote:
    In theory yes, we all have to have an education until we are 16 etc. etc., but in practice this isn't so simple for everyone. What about kids whose parents can't afford to buy school books or uniform? What about kids (yes even little junior and senior infants) who have to look after even younger siblings cos their parents are too drunk/ high/ out begging to take care of them themselves? Or the kids who have to go out begging with their parents so that maybe they can eat that night?

Life isn't so simple.

It generally is in modern Ireland when you're discussing povery, I'm afraid. I'm not saying that there's no poverty. However, the overwhelming majority of the time it's down to booze, drugs or other bad decisions. I do feel for young, vulnerable people who's irresponsible parents send them spiralling into the poverty trap but, eh, isn't that what Social Services are for? Which is kind of my point. What's happening to my tax 'dollar' that young children are allowed be abused like this? Isn't it the government's responsibility to protect these children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Degsy wrote:
    You have absolutely no idea what you've been talking about.
    Really, you know me do you? Otherwise prove it.
    Degsy wrote:
    YYou dont know any drug addicts,you've never lived on the streets and you seem to get most of your information from 1st year sociology books.
    Actually, you are wrong on all three counts, and despite my degree in Adult Psych and Behavioural Science, most of my opinions are based on personal experience.
    Degsy wrote:
    YThe physical aspects of withdrawal are unpleasant and painfull,thats it.Not dangerous and not likely to go wrong.Giving up by cold turkey is the one way junkies dont like doing up so they almost never give up.Out of ten thousand herion addicts,maybe twenty will get off the gear and stay off.The idea that people especially adults are forced to beg by mobile-phone providing "mr bigs" is too stupid to bear further comment.
    Again, prove it. Show me somthing to back up your statments and I might take you semi-seriously. I can provide tons of reports by various poverty related organisations, wheres your proof?
    Withdrawl IS dangerous, and DOES often have serious complications.
    And the pimps exist, if you dont want to believe that, fine, but if you actually want to hear real information, contact any of the organisations on the ground and you will find you are wrong.
    Degsy wrote:
    Go out and live in the real world,you might learn soemthing.
    I think you might find dear that my "real world" would scare you ****less.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Degsy wrote:
    Cry me a river!I had asthma for ten years from working in a dusty environment.Withdrawal is no worse than a dose of flu,they're weak willed people and they dont want to take responsibility for thier own lives.

That shows how ignorant you are, and the drug addicts personal character is shaped by the experiences they've had.Father Peter McVerry told me about the problems that the drug addicts had before they became drug addicts like being sexually abused, abused by words and violence, lack of care and protection from the world.What happens is that they use drugs to make them forget about all these things about their failures and their life.Unfortunately as a result their life goes down the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Laslo wrote:
    I do feel for young, vulnerable people who's irresponsible parents send them spiralling into the poverty trap but, eh, isn't that what Social Services are for?

Social services in this country are WOEFUL. They don't have the power or the resources to help kids unless they are being seriously, seriously abused. My friends 8 month old nephew is being physically and emotionally abused by his mentally ill mother. He was in hospital a week because he's developed an eating disorder, social services know exactly what is going on, yet they released him back into his (clearly unfit) mothers care.

What makes you think they'll do much more for an older child?

Walk around the poorer areas of Dublin late at night and look at all the little kids out after midnight causing trouble. Look at the teenage rent boys in the phoenix park. Where's social services then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

eth0_ wrote:
    Social services in this country are WOEFUL. They don't have the power or the resources to help kids unless they are being seriously, seriously abused. My friends 8 month old nephew is being physically and emotionally abused by his mentally ill mother. He was in hospital a week because he's developed an eating disorder, social services know exactly what is going on, yet they released him back into his (clearly unfit) mothers care.

Where's the father / guardians / relatives?
    eth0_ wrote:
    What makes you think they'll do much more for an older child?

How do you know what they would do for an older child?
    eth0_ wrote:
    Walk around the poorer areas of Dublin late at night and look at all the little kids out after midnight causing trouble. Look at the teenage rent boys in the phoenix park. Where's social services then?

Hardly much to do with the social services. Where's the parents?

eth0_ wrote:
    Social services in this country are WOEFUL.

Followed by an anecdote to back it up. To be honest mate, I'd imagine social services, even if grossly underfunded, do the best they can and aren't the incompetent, negligent monsters you make them out to be. At the end of the day, our taxes that have caused our government's books to overflow should be paying for a world class social services system. Why aren't they I wonder?
    eth0_ wrote:

Do you normally walk around Phoenix Park at night? I would normally ask where the Gardaí are to be honest. I appreciate what you're saying... I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm asking WHY there's a problem with so much wealth around? Why is there so much unemployment when there's a job for anyone in this country that wants one? Why do rent boys and prostitutes sell sex when they could work on minimum wage (we've all had to do it) unless, of course, they've got a drug habit... or are greedy and just want more money? We're so busy with our middle class guilt that we continue to make excuses for those less fortunate then ourselves, even when, sometimes, it's their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Laslo wrote:
    If they get the points? Ah come on now. We can't all do actuarial mathematics or computer science. My point is that a basic, and very good, education is available to anyone in this country that wants one. The overwhelming majority of people living on the streets are well past Leaving Cert age.
    Someone being all past 25 doesn't mean they all have a degree. Alot may only have their J. Cert before getting kicked out of school.
    Laslo wrote:
    But think what it must be like to be a late 20's/early 30's single guy, earning a decent wage but being virtually incapable of affording a place to live!
    What I said, but with more words.
    Laslo wrote:
    In a communist society perhaps. You're silly, sarcastic remark aside, it's generally accepted that nuclear physicists get paid more doctors get paid more than software developers get paid more than sparks get paid more than people who work in Supermacs, etc.
    Why do you think that because you have a masters, that you should get more than a sparks? Because you are qualified, in a different area, but think that the wages should somehow be the same? Not always the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Laslo wrote:
    Everyone... everyone in this country has the opportunity to avail of one of the best free educations that this planet has to offer and to make something of themselves. The Irish government supply more high-quality social housing these days to people that badly need it. There's a job in this country for anyone that wants one and who's capable to stay off smack for more than a few weeks.

Almost all of the benefits afforded to the lesser off have come at my expense as a 'middle class' (see 'new working class') young professional. The abundance of social housing (amongst other things) has helped push the price of property beyond a level I can afford. The degree and subsequent masters I worked my ass off for has earnt me little more per year than the sparks and builders I know that left school after their Junior Cert.

Now I'm not complaining about this situation. Although I have trouble paying the bills from time to time, I think it's great that Ireland is experiencing this kind of level playing field and that the wealth is distributed as evenly as it possibly can be (in fairness!)

Not taking sides in this prejudicial ding dong, but if you are educated you should know that there are people who cannot afford a free education!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i don't have a problem with beggars. They can beg all they want, i'll never give them anything :D

the problem is the beggar community is saturated and people just learn to ignore them like flashing banner ads on websites.

just walk on.. ignore the pleas and pictures of mary and jesus... anyone who asks for help doesnt deserve it. Those who don't ask for help and are just minding their own business or modestly saying they dont need help deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

smemon wrote:
    anyone who asks for help doesnt deserve it. Those who don't ask for help and are just minding their own business or modestly saying they dont need help deserve it.

Note to self: Never ask smemon, or anyone, for help. It will prove that I don't need it!

This thread is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

smemon wrote:
    just walk on.. ignore the pleas and pictures of mary and jesus... anyone who asks for help doesnt deserve it. Those who don't ask for help and are just minding their own business or modestly saying they dont need help deserve it.

Fair enough. Next time I see a dude in a Gucci suit getting out of a brand new BMW outside Cafe en Seine I'll make sure to ask him if he'd like me to buy him a sambo and a cup of coffee. Poor chap is probably starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Just a word to Stovelid, I don't know if i came across as a nasty person but I have never in my life been rude or ignorant to a beggar/homeless person. Doesn't stop them being so to me. Is it so hard to believe that simply refusing to give cash to them (politely) can cause them to be angry and abusive? You seem to be implying that I must have done something to deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Why can't they prostitute themeselves? Why beg it is demeaning?

MM

Piste wrote:
    Life isn't so simple.

Oi! That's my line young'un!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I avoid pass machines where there are people begging tbh. If forced to use one I ignore the begger and only withdraw as little cash as I need.

I pay my taxes, if a government I didn't vote for can't take care of it's citizens during a 'miracle' economy, I'm not going to let anyone else make me feel guilty about it. And like Vimes said, if they wanted off the street, they'd get themselves off the street. Hookers make more than fund accountants in Ireland!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

MM

This is the third time that you've mentioned that they should prostitute themselves on this thread, and anybody has yet to dignify your question with a response.

That's the most stupid thing that I've heard in a long time. Prostituting themselves makes things worse for them, not better.

Not taking sides in this prejudicial ding dong, but if you are educated you should know that there are people who cannot afford a free education!

Because their parents are too busy boozing and getting smacked off their face? Yeah... that was my original point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

MM

Don't bother posting that sheite in the thread anymore, infact don't bother posting in the thread at all. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Here's an education if you've got 10 minutes (and broadband)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1301608392

Advertisement