Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas machine begging

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Buy them a sandwich and a cup of coffee (done once before) but certainly wouldn't give them any money. He didn't say a whole but was damn glad of it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so this guy doens't seem to blink an eye if you say no, good ignore him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Degsy wrote:
    I particlularly hate that romanian girl who sits at teh atm just in front of bruxelles holding up a picture of virgin mary,its to subliminaly trick people into thinking they're helping a religious cause or maybe you'd be less likely to say "f uck off " to the picture,i dunno,but it makes me sick anyway.

That fat Romanian kid who plays the accordion outside Dunnes on Sth Great Georges St really gets on my tits. He has one of those 'punch me' expressions on his face all the time. He's obviously eating well enough so I don't know why mangling an accordion in public trying to earn more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Degsy wrote:
    I particlularly hate that romanian girl who sits at teh atm just in front of bruxelles holding up a picture of virgin mary,its to subliminaly trick people into thinking they're helping a religious cause or maybe you'd be less likely to say "f uck off " to the picture,i dunno,but it makes me sick anyway.

This time of year is the worst for that type of thing. The parents of the child (or whoever looks after them) having them sit out beside them wearing a santa claus hat or something, quite sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

That fat Romanian kid who plays the accordion outside Dunnes on Sth Great Georges St really gets on my tits. He has one of those 'punch me' expressions on his face all the time. He's obviously eating well enough so I don't know why mangling an accordion in public trying to earn more.

Awe he's a gas man that lad :D I dont see him around much now, the guards always move him on nehow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'll never forget the time i saw a chap begging on the hapenny bridge while chatting away on his mobile phone. Quite funny.

Talking to his "friend" no doubt ... <cough> his "dealer" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm going to try asking a beggar for some change... that'd be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

That fat Romanian kid who plays the accordion outside Dunnes on Sth Great Georges St really gets on my tits. He has one of those 'punch me' expressions on his face all the time. He's obviously eating well enough so I don't know why he's mangling an accordion in public trying to earn more.

Ever wonder if maybe he does'nt particularly like it either but may be afraid if he does'nt what might happen to him?

B

Ever wonder if maybe he does'nt particularly like it either but may be afraid if he does'nt what might happen to him?

B

TBH he doesnt look much of a kid........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

rb_ie wrote:
    The only people I've seen give him money are women who seem to be intimidated into it by his approaches, which I've then seen him take directly into the shop and buy 40 cigarettes with! I've called the Gardaí a few times about him sitting there drinking in public in broad daylight, but as you could guess they've done nothing about it. I don't see why the Gardaí let these people away with it.

I am delighted the gardai did nothing. No offence, but do you not think they have better things to do with their time then move on some drunk?

Always hear about how when peoples houses have been broken into there are always late. I can just imagine them turning around and saying "Some lad wanted us to move a drunk away from the shop". Yea, great stuff there lads.

As soon as the guards are gone he goes back there, what next? Arrest him and waste even more time?

Personnally i think chuggers are worse then the beggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

/rant

If you think the beggars are bad here then try a visit to Romania. I was there during the summer and though I'd heard it was bad I wasn't prepared for children following you for a good 20 minutes asking for "the Moneys".

They don't take no for an answer, come into restaurants/trains/shops, follow you everywhere and have a penchant for stroking you hand whilst asking.

That said, most are actually poor and not on drugs (except for the one blatantly sniffing glue out of a bag) so it easier to hand over a few Lei.

rant/

So, yeah for moral dilemmas, bear attacks and cheap booze check Romania out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

The Gnome wrote:
    So, yeah for moral dilemmas, bear attacks and cheap booze check Romania out.

Rofl, image of a bear begging on a street pops into my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pigman II wrote:
    Just punch him in the stomach or stab him next time you see him. Problem solved.

Then you risk HIV, TB and a host of other virus's.

The Brazillians have the right idea, police death squads :D

On a serious note...

I try not to look down on anyone, but I do think firm action should be taken against street beggers. ie the guys you see begging on ATM's, traffic lights etc. While I'm not in the least bit afraid of their presense my partner is terrified of them. She's been harassed by a few, and even in my company they frighten her.

I really do try not to stand in judgement over people but I've absolutely zero tolerance for those who wish to infringe on my quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Faith wrote:
    It's not my, or anyone elses, fault that he made the decision in the first place to try heroin. Nor is it my problem as to how he affords his next fix. Addicts being homeless is caused by their own actions, nobody else is responsible for it. Giving them money makes the situation worse, not better.

Life ain't that simple...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Really? Can you explain to me how I, or anyone else, is responsible for their actions then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I'll never forget the time i saw a chap begging on the hapenny bridge while chatting away on his mobile phone. Quite funny.
    Saw similar on Nassau Street during the summer, woman huddled with a cup begging while chatting on a pretty expensive looking mobile phone (you know that huge Vodafone flip-top phone that costs an honest weeks wages). Made me look twice.

Faith wrote:
    Why don't you just go buy the heroin for him too, then? Save him that extra trouble too.

It's not my, or anyone elses, fault that he made the decision in the first place to try heroin. Nor is it my problem as to how he affords his next fix. Addicts being homeless is caused by their own actions, nobody else is responsible for it. Giving them money makes the situation worse, not better.

Im with you on that one, poor me attitude doesnt wash with me and thats the attidute a lot of beggers have. If they cant even help themselves then how can they expect anyone else to?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Faith wrote:
    Really? Can you explain to me how I, or anyone else, is responsible for their actions then?
    ummm.......

are you asking how we're responsible for their actions or our own actions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Theres a woman who begs from the gates of a church in Rathfarnham, Dublin across from the Yellow House.She's been there for years think she's a alcoholic or something but ever since I was a youngster shes been there.Thats a pretty crap life isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

That's different from Begging though. Is he **** at it or something? I mean why does that bug you?
    Guess what: sometimes that homeless heroin addict needs his fix - if you try his life maybe it'd be easier to judge, but personally I'd just rather give him a little bit of my "hard earned" change.
    Why can he not suck me off for it. Let him EARN his fix. Like the Romanian kid plays the accordian, the 'homeless' heroin addict can blow me. Heroin ruins your teeth so it would be win win.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Chakar wrote:
    Theres a woman who begs from the gates of a church in Rathfarnham, Dublin across from the Yellow House.She's been there for years think she's a alcoholic or something but ever since I was a youngster shes been there.Thats a pretty crap life isn't it?
    ehh...... YEAH.... it IS...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Faith wrote:

What are you talking about?! Some people don't get the start in life you do. Some people are born to parents who didn't want a child, who may have had little or no money, lived on top of each other in a tiny flat, who treat their kids like ****. Who kicked their children out of the house at 16 and didn't care where they went. Who get exploited by the nastier elements of society and have to beg because they need that next fix and their life only extends that far.

Their life's not your fault, you're not responsible for it, but wouldn't it be decent if you could help his life out just a little to get a batter burger or a fix, even if its not entirely in line with what you believe to be correct. Fact is, he's gonna get that fix anyway: if no-one gives him the cash he's gonna just steal something to make up the difference and that's even less helpful!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Faith wrote:
    Aye, I hate the ones who sit/stand by ATMs. What do they expect to achieve from it? "Oh, sorry dude, I've no change but here, take this tenner that I just got from the ATM" ? Going to an ATM at all implies that you have no money on you, and no beggar can be stupid enough to think that people are going to give them notes.

Actually, some of the ones begging at ATMs are actually sussing out who's taking out large amounts of cash and if they seem someone doing so, usually tip their mates off across the street who will then either mug or pick the pocket of the person who's just withdrawn the cash.

Beware of this.

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Why don't the gov/gardai give away the seized heroin to homeless junkies... good for the junkies (depending on how you look at it)... bad for the dealers since they have less demand... good for us because we don't get robbed/begged.
    It'd tripple the impact of every drug seizure surely. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Actually, some of the ones begging at ATMs are actually sussing out who's taking out large amounts of cash and if they seem someone doing so, usually tip their mates off across the street who will then either mug or pick the pocket of the person who's just withdrawn the cash.

Beware of this.

Tox

Yep, have heard a few stories about this..all relating to the ATM machine at outside Tara St. train station. I don't care how stuck I am, I'll never take money out of that machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

.... but wouldn't it be decent if you could help his life out just a little to get a batter burger or a fix, even if its not entirely in line with what you believe to be correct. Fact is, he's gonna get that fix anyway: if no-one gives him the cash he's gonna just steal something to make up the difference and that's even less helpful!
    why can't he fellate people for the money?
    begging is demeaning.

Let him work for it.
    MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Faith wrote:

I completely agree. Although, I can't imagine what it would be like to come across a junkie going through relapse/cold turkey on the street, I'd imagine they'd be quite dangerous?
    Their life's not your fault, you're not responsible for it, but wouldn't it be decent if you could help his life out just a little to get a batter burger or a fix, even if its not entirely in line with what you believe to be correct. Fact is, he's gonna get that fix anyway: if no-one gives him the cash he's gonna just steal something to make up the difference and that's even less helpful!

So, we either give them cash or they'll rob something?Maybe we should start randomly attacking them, rendering them unable to rob someone and therefore unable to get the money for a fix?

I can't accept this attitude of "well they're going to get the money somehow, may as well contribute towards their next fix" tbh. The only real way to help it to contribute towards charities set up for these people, or perhaps donate towards rehab centres. Handing them money on the streets won't fix anything, it will satisfy them temporarily before they need their next one and then the next one etc.

I'll gladly buy a homeless person a cup of coffee or a cheap meal from McDonalds the odd time, they're in a horrible situation (which they got themselves into and can only get themselves out of) and a bit of warm food or a drink will make a difference to them (though some are pr1cks about you not giving them cash, most are grateful), but handing them money for their booze/drugs isn't helping them in any way. It may help them escape for a few hours, but they'll sober up and still be hungry, cold and desperate lying on the side of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Not all homeless people are junkies, and not all homeless people have become homeless because of their own fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

rb_ie wrote:
    /snip

Yup, I agree 100% with that. Giving them money is only reinforcing their mentality that they can live off other people, and rely on them for their next fix. What's stopping them from getting help for their addictions, getting some work and finding a place to live? It'd be hard, I'll grant that, but not impossible.
    Sure whatever drug they're on may take them away from the harsh realities of their life, but imo they're being lazy. And that'd be a pretty large understatement.
    I've never had to live on the street, or beg to live, I've had it pretty easy all my life, but I do know several people that did live on the street (one with a child too) that didn't depend on everyone else to survive (well maybe they begged for a bit, but that was to buy food, certainly not their next fix). They now have homes, and jobs and cars too. What's stopping the rest?

Advertisement