Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pics of apt, rare, funny number plates taken in Ireland if possible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

I'm a bit puzzled by a reg I saw in Swords today.

WZS *** (Dublin) on Euro style plates on a Nissan Almera!

According to www.cartell.ie the plate belongs to a Ford Sierra. :eek:

If someone wanted to forge a plate, why on earth would they screw it up so much with a pre 1987 reg (uncommon enough as it is) on a modern car? :confused:

WZS... was issued on 2/85 and lasted until 3/85 and Nissan did not have an Almera available then. You should have reported it to the Gardai as this car could be used in a robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do your duty, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was reluctant to report it as some people say it's possible to transfer a reg here if the other vehicle is destroyed. The only time I've ever heard it done was the 'VIP' plate for the Popemobile in 1979. I have a vague recollection of junkyard saying it was possible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

If someone wanted to forge a plate, why on earth would they screw it up so much with a pre 1987 reg (uncommon enough as it is) on a modern car? :confused:

Funny enough that you mention that, I remember seeing about a year ago a Land Rover Discovery on old Irish plates. I was wondering what was going on there.

Back on topic, I've seen quite alot of cars going around with Kuwait plates on them. The latest one was a Peugeot 206 CC in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

You didn't happen to cop if it was right hand drive or left?

Countries such as Sweden, Latvia and Lithuania are still issuing this style of number and in many cases the registrations duplicate old Irish numbers.

Didn't get a snap but saw a Volvo with the reg. WMD ### last summer in Sweden. Pretty apt I thought as cars have probably killed many more people than Nukes have!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Max_Damage wrote:
    Funny enough that you mention that, I remember seeing about a year ago a Land Rover Discovery on old Irish plates. I was wondering what was going on there.

Range Rovers and Discos are re-manufactured on old chassis rails by a company in the UK. They keep the original chassis number and registration. That way you can have a new Disco but in the eyes of the Revenue commissioners it is 15 years old which has benefits for Tax purposes (Benefit in kind etc.)

invest4deepvalue.com

Shouldn't that plate be on a truck!

DAF.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

Max_Damage wrote:
    Funny enough that you mention that, I remember seeing about a year ago a Land Rover Discovery on old Irish plates.
    Do-more wrote:
    Range Rovers and Discos are re-manufactured on old chassis rails by a company in the UK. They keep the original chassis number and registration.
    Here's an example - a Discovery with old Kilkenny plates on a LR Defender chassis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

unreadable, and playboy bunnies on it too....

hcww8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

M3002-1.jpg

Neighbours M3, couldnt keep my eyes off it when I called up to his gaff today!

This is like one of those magic eye things, you either see how cool the reg is or you don't!

• Advertisement

bigkev49 wrote:
    M3002-1.jpg

Neighbours M3, couldnt keep my eyes off it when I called up to his gaff today!

This is like one of those magic eye things, you either see how cool the reg is or you don't!

Nice. That colour paint really needs to be kept clean!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeh but a flick of dirt on a RWD car looks pretty cool :D! Agreed though this one needs a bit of a spit and shine

Saw an M6 in cork yesterday too with "messin" wheels on!! no pic though

bigkev49 - there's a 2003 yellow BMW M3 that I see occasionally with a Leitrim registration but it's spaced appropriately to give 03 L M3

You blanked out the county in your pic but we all know that it has to be Dublin. No other county goes as far as 77,734. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

bigkev49 - You blanked out the county in your pic but we all know that it has to be Dublin. No other county goes as far as 77,734. ;)

A quick check on a certain CAR website will TELL the rest of the reg!!!

It appears that Kildare Co. Co. are attempting to increase revenue from Premium Reg numbers by issuing plates with decimal places! :D

Paj.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Spotted in Limerick on Friday, and yes, the owner was of the Auburn persuasion...

487984173_a3ebf337b1.jpg

MrOhm.jpg

Sorry for the really bad photo, the number is M12 OHM, the font for the 12 is different the the rest of the plate and makes it look like an R, so the plate reads MR OHM probably in the electrical business I guess!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dsc02261of5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Couple of English reg. trucks spotted in Adare.

1305071441jg0.th.jpg

1305071532smam3.th.jpg

And the new A5;

1305071527smyg7.th.jpg

IN - Ingolstadt, Audi HQ
    A5 - model
    001 - first one registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I like the nikes plate. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

qz wrote:
    Saw a Merc S55 AMG once, spaced exactly like this, no bars:

04 D4 04 55

He's a bookie that follows the dogs. I see it every night at work. If he parks at night, the headlights stay on for a few seconds to let him see as he leaves the car, and a lot of punters keep telling him he's left the lights on. It bugs him no end.

qz wrote:
    Saw a Merc S55 AMG once, spaced exactly like this, no bars:

04 D4 04 55

He must be proud to live in D4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

wet-paint wrote:
    He's a bookie that follows the dogs. I see it every night at work. If he parks at night, the headlights stay on for a few seconds to let him see as he leaves the car, and a lot of punters keep telling him he's left the lights on. It bugs him no end.
    My Mams Fiat Panda does that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Old Irish registrations CANNOT be transferred to another vehicle in Ireland.

'VIP 1' was on a car which was bought by a UK buyer many years ago who managed to get the reg onto the UK system. It recently sold to Roman Abramovic for 500,000stg.

I suspect that the reg that was seen on the Almera was an eastern european plate.....many of them use the same lettering as old irish plate.

That Aussie (Queensland) plate '2 CRAZY' is interesting ..spotted in Ireland?? I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

.....thats been standard on all Mercs since 2001 MY. Its selectable, so why doesn't he turn the feature off ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Old Irish registrations CANNOT be transferred to another vehicle in Ireland.

........this is the case currently but apparantly not always the case ! A guy in the Merc Club had a very very old Limerick plate transfered onto his '65 Merc about 8 years ago ! I dunno how, but he did it, reason being the plate suited the cars engine type !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

wet-paint wrote:

I think nearly every car made in the last 5 years has this feature. :rolleyes:

Another Audi 77!

77.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    Another Audi 77!

Thats a nice plate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Bond-007 wrote:
    Do your duty, report it.

have things changed? From my real world experience as a former dutiful citizen you can't just casually tell the guards something, as you would a friend, before they listen to the actual news/information they will want to know YOUR "name", "address/phone", you feel like you are becoming "involved" in some way.

Advertisement