Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pics of apt, rare, funny number plates taken in Ireland if possible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Had to do a double take on this one...:p
    Image913.jpg
    Its either polish or lithuanian or something.Nice try at going undercover!:D

Definitely not Polish - could very well be Lithuanian but cannot see the nationality code on the EU band.

Don't suppose there's any way it could be an old Wexford plate ?!?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

jrar wrote: »
    Definitely not Polish - could very well be Lithuanian but cannot see the nationality code on the EU band.

Don't suppose there's any way it could be an old Wexford plate ?!?:rolleyes:

Estonian plate. Nice to see them here. Haven't seen many Estonians in IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

plate.jpg

Stephens Green on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Didn't get a pic - and might already have been posted - but one i'll never forget was a Bentley i seen in Dublin

06-D-666

Suited it pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Flying Spur? Sat in it in Terenure Car show a few years back, nice owner!
    There's another registered as 06-WW-666

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Capital Slow

saw a Old mini the other day

01 MN 1, nice reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fourx4fan

Ok, number plates are not exactly rare or funny but certainly something strange about them. Stopped to look at the 04 Golf GTi few days ago and noticed a red and a blue Audi A4 with reg 05 KK 2005.
    th_05kk2005.jpgth_05kk20051.jpg
    Checked this No on Cartell and it's a DAF.

I then noticed that all of the other plates were 04 xx 2004, 05 xx 2005 etc. I checked these numbers on Cartell and are all false.

th_04kk2004.jpg......BMW 530.

th_04w2004.jpg.....No record.

th_04wd2004.jpg....No record.

th_05w2005.jpg.......BMW X5

th_05wd2005.jpg......Mondeo.

th_07kk2007.jpg.......Passat.

th_07w2007.jpg........No record.

Obviously, these cars are imports which are yet to be registered. Suppose it's hardly crime of the century but if I owned any of these numbers, I wouldn't be too happy. Some of these cars were parked on the forecourt but some were on the public roadway. Seems a very strange practice to say the least.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Nothing strange about it. Although i wouldn't do it myself, alot of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

UK imports waiting for their true Irish plates.
    The dealer doesn't want to reg them until they're bought to improve cashflow and to ensure that the buyer gets the reg that they want (for their county). All legal and above board...

Type 17 wrote: »
    UK imports waiting for their true Irish plates.
    The dealer doesn't want to reg them until they're bought to improve cashflow and to ensure that the buyer gets the reg that they want (for their county). All legal and above board...

Seriously............ Are you telling me that it's legal and above board for me to put the reg number of someone else's car on mine and park it on public roadway?
    Something like 04 A4 2004, 05 BMW 2005 would be fine but I cannot understand how it would be legal to use someone else's reg.

• Advertisement

fourx4fan wrote: »
    Seriously............ Are you telling me that it's legal and above board for me to put the reg number of someone else's car on mine and park it on public roadway?
    Something like 04 A4 2004, 05 BMW 2005 would be fine but I cannot understand how it would be legal to use someone else's reg.

Well, technically what you are saying is true. Generally you would see XX-LK-0000. I see where you are coming from though.

For you, it wouldn't be legal as you are not a motor trader. A registered Motor Trader may keep vehicles that are not registered to them (or registered in Ireland at all), and can drive them on the road if they display up-to-date trade plates. Whether any plates are fixed to the car in the space provided, or what is written on any that are fitted is irrelevant.
    Presumably parking some cars on the road without trade plates displayed on each one is technically illegal, but given that they are parked outside what is obviously a motor trader's premises means that it is easy to determine what is happening, and it is fairly apparent that the trader is not trying to pass the cars off as registered to those indexes.

Well, technically what you are saying is true. Generally you would see XX-LK-0000. I see where you are coming from though.

Ah yes, that makes sense but having an actual reg plate is looking for trouble. I wouldn't be happy if I saw mine on something.
    Wonder do they go to the bother of removing them when going on test drive?

Ah yes, that makes sense but having an actual reg plate is looking for trouble. I wouldn't be happy if I saw mine on something.
    Wonder do they go to the bother of removing them when going on test drive?

I'm actually stumped. Made me think lol...

It can't be legal for them to have those plates on the car, or drive with the plates on them.

For you, it wouldn't be legal as you are not a motor trader. A registered Motor Trader may keep vehicles that are not registered to them (or registered in Ireland at all), and can drive them on the road if they display up-to-date trade plates. Whether any plates are fixed to the car in the space provided, or what is written on any that are fitted is irrelevant.
    Presumably parking some cars on the road without trade plates displayed on each one is technically illegal, but given that they are parked outside what is obviously a motor trader's premises means that it is easy to determine what is happening, and it is fairly apparent that the trader is not trying to pass the cars off as registered to those indexes.

I accept what you are saying......but my a agrument is that the cars have plates on them that are belonging to other cars. As limerick Man said, he often sees 00-LK-0000 or something similar. That is completely understandable and while it might not be technically legal but who gives a sh1t in that case.
    I also accept that the dealer is probably not trying to pass cars off as registered to those indexes but surely it cant be correct for same reg to be on two Audi A4's and also on a DAF truck. Motor trader or not, that can't be legal. It's certainly foolish........but surely it can't be right:cool:

I accept what you are saying......but my a agrument is that the cars have plates on them that are belonging to other cars. As limerick Man said, he often sees 00-LK-0000 or something similar. That is completely understandable and while it might not be technically legal but who gives a sh1t in that case.
    I also accept that the dealer is probably not trying to pass cars off as registered to those indexes but surely it cant be correct for same reg to be on two Audi A4's and also on a DAF truck. Motor trader or not, that can't be legal. It's certainly foolish........but surely it can't be right:cool:

Start a new thread on this topic, with the same pics. It'll keep off topic posts of this thread:D

If it was my dealership, I probably wouldn't do it, but the only time it would be an issue would be if the car was being driven on the road and the driver did something wrong (eg: photo'd by a speed camera). If he's going to allow these cars out on test drives, then I would tend to think that, to avoid such issues, he should ensure that the trade plates are placed over these plates rather than in the front/rear windows as they usually are. Parked up, there isn't really any serious issue. It strikes me that he isn't using the 04-KK-0000 version because he doesn't want to immediately draw attention to the fact that he is selling imports.
    Start a new thread on this topic, with the same pics. It'll keep off topic posts of this thread:D

Fair play, I'll post there if required.

For the love of God don't! It'll descend into show plates versus vanity plates versus snobbery madness :eek:

qz wrote: »
    For the love of God don't! It'll descend into show plates versus vanity plates versus snobbery madness :eek:

Yay for boards :D

It strikes me that he isn't using the 04-KK-0000 version because he doesn't want to immediately draw attention to the fact that he is selling imports.

Seems likes that's his game but if it were me, I'd put 04-KK-85000 in order to evade getting a punch in the gob from a trucker driving a DAF.

It would certainly put me off buying from him.......probably more from the stupidity point of view more than the fact that he's trying to attract customers on somewhat false pretenses.

• Advertisement

Seems likes that's his game but if it were me, I'd put 04-KK-85000 in order to evade getting a punch in the gob from a trucker driving a DAF.

It would certainly put me off buying from him.......probably more from the stupidity point of view more than the fact that he's trying to attract customers on somewhat false pretenses.

I think your reading into it a bit far. At the end of the day, the dealer is just sticking the year (2005) at the end of the plate. Albeit wrong, it wouldn't stop me buying a car from them, or changing my opinion on them.

I think your reading into it a bit far. At the end of the day, the dealer is just sticking the year (2005) at the end of the plate. Albeit wrong, it wouldn't stop me buying a car from them, or changing my opinion on them.

OK Limerick Man.........accept that......cars looked very nice.......especially that multi coloured DAF A4:D

In the current climate, it's not easy for anyone in that business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

liam.jpg

Spotted this in Blessington recently.

Also saw my first 09 vanity plate recently 09 D 69 on a 3 series convertible.
    So some plonker has gone out and spent €1000 on a plate which will make their car virtually unsaleable in the future...:rolleyes:

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Do-more wrote: »

Also saw my first 09 vanity plate recently 09 D 69 on a 3 series convertible.
    So some plonker has gone out and spent €1000 on a plate which will make their car virtually unsaleable in the future...:rolleyes:

could'nt agree more, what a flute especially in these times blowing a k on a pathetic reg no.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I saw 09 C 99 today, no pic tho. It's a WHITE FORD TRANSIT NT 300SWB 2.4

I guess there's still money to be made selling ice-cream :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

saw a Focus ST yesterday with 09-C-57 (done to look like ST)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

[Nerd Joke]

1337 - I think not :p

dsc00480nah.jpg

[/NERD JOKE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I was wasting time on Cartell
    looking back at the old Cork reg lord mayors cars (XX-C-1) - Ford all the way except for 1984
    Now I know they wern't always reserved for the Lord Mayor but a part of me hopes these where

84-C-1 - Massy Ferguson - Diesel
    the only one on par with this is
    81-D-1 - Lotus

Also looks like 09-D-4 is still up for grabs
    Any takers? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I got a picture of an M6 today and the first two charecters of the reg were M6, didn't get a shot of the reg though.

Bloody lovely looking car.

Advertisement