Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pics of apt, rare, funny number plates taken in Ireland if possible

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just looking at Alfie1's pic - why is the bus stop markings written upside-down?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Here's another one

Image015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

i did take a picture of a car with no front number plate. Its a Toyota Siena MPV. It has an Alberta reg plate on the rear. It also has an Irish insurance disk on the windscreen. Is it illegal over here for a US vehicle not to have a front plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

G Luxel wrote:
    i did take a picture of a car with no front number plate. Its a Toyota Siena MPV. It has an Alberta reg plate on the rear. It also has an Irish insurance disk on the windscreen. Is it illegal over here for a US vehicle not to have a front plate?

I don't know the answer to your question but Alberta is in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

G Luxel wrote:

I reckon so, I remember seeing a Mercedes C-Class a few months back on Arizona plates. While it had the proper Arizona plate on the back, it had an Irish style plate on the front of the car with the Arizone reg. number on it.

Back on topic, I saw a Hyundai Elantra with New Jersey plates on it today in Templeogue . No time for a picture as I was cycling. Cars with American plates seem to be getting more and more common over here I've noticed in the past couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Val on the M4

VAL.jpg

Colm in Rochfordbridge

colm.jpg

And the Sock man in Lanesborough!

sock.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

Scooby

555edit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Alfie you need to get yourself a proper camera :D

also if your left your car get dirty you would not have shown the reg of the car ! :eek:

C5

c5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Sorry if it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I was up North recently and spotted a Norn Iron van with Norn Iron plates.

He had the front plate done like a ROI plate with the IRL on the Euro logo and the font the same as ours. Also he had his reg spaced something like this: AB - C - 123.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

seen a focus the other day , right hand drive, it had an Irish Tax disc and Insurance disc .. but the reg plates were Plain white with 3 letters & 3 number and N.S.W written on the side.

From googling, it turns out its New Zealand for New South Wales! .. But the Irish tax disc and isurance disc baffled me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

C_Breeze wrote:
    From googling, it turns out its New Zealand for New South Wales! .. But the Irish tax disc and isurance disc baffled me

Don't you mean Australia? ;)

That Focus was posted here before I remember. I could understand the insurance disc, but the tax disc is a bit odd. Maybe he/she did get around to fitting the Irish plates yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

a heating oil truck with OIL (numbers here) plate. Pretty cool!
    seen it up north

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

ptashka wrote:
    seen it up north

Freaky, I saw one too, I took a pic with my mobile but the plate didn't come out on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Great to see this thread is still running didnt think when i started it that it would be going this long. Must get my camera out and start snapping again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 kvw

45488.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

prospect wrote:
    Freaky, I saw one too, I took a pic with my mobile but the plate didn't come out on it....

Was it in Bangor, co. Down by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ptashka wrote:
    seen it up north
    Just a standard Fermanagh issue - there must be a lot of Fermanagh oil trucks with the same letters.

I remember that, as the 'NIL' series was drawing to a close there was speculation that the major petroleum companies would be jockeying to get OIL 1 or OIL 5 (OILS) but none seemed to be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

All vehicles registered in Laois in 2001 sport the digits 'OILS':)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pugsley2007

I bought a modified Red GTI Engineering VW Golf quite a few years ago. The guy who originally imported it had bought it for his girlfriend (whose initials were RNI), so he had it registered in Roscommon as RN 1 but had the plate made up to look like RN1.

I was speeding a bit through Wicklow one day when I got the full horns and blue lights treatment from an unmarked Garda car. I got a real lecture from him and was looking at a major fine and maybe more. When he checked my registration it turned out that it was the registration of a Red Massey Ferguson tractor and not a Golf GTI. When I explained that the reg. was in fact RN1 rather than RNI he was so embarrased that he let me off the speeding ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You were lucky, he could have had a further go at you for having the reg mis-spaced as well as speeding ;)

Fiat 127 with apt plate!

Fiat127127RZE.jpg

I wonder if John Angus Builders and Plant Hire are based in Aberdeen!

A12GUS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Just a standard Fermanagh issue - there must be a lot of Fermanagh oil trucks with the same letters.

I remember that, as the 'NIL' series was drawing to a close there was speculation that the major petroleum companies would be jockeying to get OIL 1 or OIL 5 (OILS) but none seemed to be interested.

Now the L has changed to G in Fermanagh.

I have seen three different Hummers in NI, all of them with the reg IG.

But the numberplates starting with B, C, D, F, G, J, L, M, P, R, S, W, Z

and maybe more in that series will all have significance.

I'd say they'll refuse to release NIG, just as they apparently refused to release NAZ numberplates incase they were altered to look like Nazi. I think Prince Naseem used to have an MAZ1 numberplate as he couldn't get NAZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Now the L has changed to G in Fermanagh.

I have seen three different Hummers in NI, all of them with the reg IG.

But the numberplates starting with B, C, D, F, G, J, L, M, P, R, S, W, Z

and maybe more in that series will all have significance.

I'd say they'll refuse to release NIG, just as they apparently refused to release NAZ numberplates incase they were altered to look like Nazi. I think Prince Naseem used to have an MAZ1 numberplate as he couldn't get NAZ.

SIG ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I bought a modified Red GTI Engineering VW Golf quite a few years ago. The guy who originally imported it had bought it for his girlfriend (whose initials were RNI), so he had it registered in Roscommon as RN 1 but had the plate made up to look like RN1.

I was speeding a bit through Wicklow one day when I got the full horns and blue lights treatment from an unmarked Garda car. I got a real lecture from him and was looking at a major fine and maybe more. When he checked my registration it turned out that it was the registration of a Red Massey Ferguson tractor and not a Golf GTI. When I explained that the reg. was in fact RN1 rather than RNI he was so embarrased that he let me off the speeding ticket.

Isnt the nr 1 reserved for Lord Mayor ???

And how could RNI have brought up a tractor? ... what regplates have 3 letter counties and no numbers????

Sounds like a lie ... or maybe i just dont understand

and do you really have to flaunt the fact that it was a golf GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

C_Breeze wrote:
    Isnt the nr 1 reserved for Lord Mayor ???

And how could RNI have brought up a tractor? ... what regplates have 3 letter counties and no numbers????

Sounds like a lie ... or maybe i just dont understand

and do you really have to flaunt the fact that it was a golf GTI

XX D 1 is reserved for the Lord Mayor in Dublin, but I doubt it is in Roscommon...

If the car was (say) a 1993 car, it would have read 93 RN1 (should be spaced as 93-RN-1) which would look like 93 RNI, a pre-87 reg from Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

jrar wrote:
    SIG ???

That thing which isn't under your post.

• Advertisement

C_Breeze wrote:
    Isnt the nr 1 reserved for Lord Mayor ?
    The "1" is reserved for the Mayor or Lord Mayor of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford only. All other "1"s are open to reservation via lottery by the general public for a fee of €315 per entry.

(JJ Kavanagh's buses seem to have a lot of them!)

PS - I saw an ice cream van at the National Ploughing in Tullamore with 07 LK 99 :D

Advertisement