Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

eirlink wrote:
    when you say "adaptor" is it a wire with mains plug on one end and usb on other

be careful.....it needs to step the voltage down to 5v AND send it thru unit on correct pinouts.
    Does it have mini usb on it?
    does it say the ouptut voltage on the plug side?
    Nothing so fancy, it's just a dumb 'pass through' plug adaptor; for plugging a continental plug into an Irish socket.
    I'm assuming it was included by mistake, as there's nothing with the Airis that could use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

ahh,thought so...

seems pixmania have a problem with the stores packing system as well as their logistics.There must be little or no QC going on at the packing stage.Pity really cause it may mean that some other person is missing the adaptor you got.

Wonder how BigCon got on?....he too is off to a bad start.Hope he got it sorted out ok.

Colly wrote:
    Enjoy your trip don't forget to put on a password or security coordinate, so when you go to that location it unlocks (Garmin have it Airis also may) just encase anyone were to get there hands on it as they are the in thing these days and highly visible.

But I am sure you will be fine.

Enjoy

......and / or keep SD card in your wallet when you leave the vehicle unattended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

eirlink wrote:
    ahh,thought so...

seems pixmania have a problem with the stores packing system as well as their logistics.There must be little or no QC going on at the packing stage.Pity really cause it may mean that some other person is missing the adaptor you got.

Wonder how BigCon got on?....he too is off to a bad start.Hope he got it sorted out ok.

I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra 100E or so and bought it off mysatnav.ie...
    I contacted pixmania and they said "fine, no problems, we'll do a return and get UPS to pick it up from you".
    They gave me a tracking no. for my return and when I checked it on the UPS website there was a day lost because Pixmania didn't give them my address :rolleyes:
    3 days after the return was done, UPS arrived here yesterday during the 5 mins of the day when there was no one here (pity they didn't phone me as I was only 2 mins away). :rolleyes:

They left a copy of the shipping details - I wonder if I attached this to the package and dropped it into a UPS distrubtion center would they send it back?

The whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth as it's the only time something has gone wrong with anything I purchased on the web...

kaiphas wrote:
    I ordered the Aris unit from Pixmania last Saturday (couldn't wait any longer for the feedback!). I chased DHL today and discovered they have lost the package, they can see if arrived into Dublin on Tuesday and has just disappeared off their radar (the irony of a GPS unit being lost).
    They won't be able to tell me anything further until next week - not Pixmanias fault I know but a P.I.T.A. none the less.
    Maybe in hindsight the satnav.ie option would have made more sense, for an extra €100 would now have the unit and wouldn't be facing into a paperwork nightmare with DHL/Pixmania. Looking at it now the extra ton over the life of the unit would be bugger all for the peace of mind.

Sorry to hear youre having probs as well. If you paid by CC have you considered a refund? especially as youve not received the product.let DHL/pixmania worry about finding it and the logistical nightmare that follows.

If more people demanded refunds then they might sort out the issues surrounding the packing,distribution etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

pity i didnt spot this thread earlier,just ordered one off pixmania today.will keep ye all updated.

now im off to cross my fingers :(

BigCon wrote:
    I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra 100E or so and bought it off mysatnav.ie...
    I contacted pixmania and they said "fine, no problems, we'll do a return and get UPS to pick it up from you".
    They gave me a tracking no. for my return and when I checked it on the UPS website there was a day lost because Pixmania didn't give them my address :rolleyes:
    3 days after the return was done, UPS arrived here yesterday during the 5 mins of the day when there was no one here (pity they didn't phone me as I was only 2 mins away). :rolleyes:

They left a copy of the shipping details - I wonder if I attached this to the package and dropped it into a UPS distrubtion center would they send it back?

The whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth as it's the only time something has gone wrong with anything I purchased on the web...

Haven't heard anything since - it's time to contact my cc company to request my money back for faulty goods.
    Also note that you cannot e-mail pixmainia - if you send a mail to them you get an automated response telling you to use the online form which is a crock of $hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Yep - am still havig problems with DHL. COntacted them again today and they say the goods are not yet oficially lost - even though they have said the package is not in their two warehouses or in a van. I am supposed to wait another few days to see if they can locate same. In the meantime my credit card has been charged for the goods (and freight) and I have no GPS!
    I have dealt with PIXMANIA a few times in the past and had no problems (apart from french manuals being shipped - I was able to download PDF's in English - so no biggie) but this experience has made me think twice before ordering again - the money saved is false economy now as far as I'm concerned given the hastle and lack of goods to date!

kaiphas wrote:
    Yep - am still havig problems with DHL. COntacted them again today and they say the goods are not yet oficially lost - even though they have said the package is not in their two warehouses or in a van. I am supposed to wait another few days to see if they can locate same. In the meantime my credit card has been charged for the goods (and freight) and I have no GPS!
    I have dealt with PIXMANIA a few times in the past and had no problems (apart from french manuals being shipped - I was able to download PDF's in English - so no biggie) but this experience has made me think twice before ordering again - the money saved is false economy now as far as I'm concerned given the hastle and lack of goods to date!

Id look into a refund.I know its little consolation to you after what youve been thru but maybe it will allow you start again.
    Sorry to hear this is affecting so many.....

eirlink wrote:
    Id look into a refund.I know its little consolation to you after what youve been thru but maybe it will allow you start again.
    Sorry to hear this is affecting so many.....

Thanks Eirlink - I've mailed Pixmania, reported the problem to them & told them if I don't have either the original or a replacement by this Friday I want a full refund. Will let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

kaiphas wrote:
    Thanks Eirlink - I've mailed Pixmania, reported the problem to them & told them if I don't have either the original or a replacement by this Friday I want a full refund. Will let you know how I get on.

its obvious the blame is with DHL,its funny that most of ye had no problems before with the goods you bought from pixmania, that fact that the gps is small very south after would make you think!!!! come on lads its too much of a coincidence that most of the gps units got LOST. maybe pixmaina should look at using a new courier company. sorry to hear about your troubles hope its resolved soon.

ok got a dispatch email from pixmania today,with the following quote attached
    pixmania wrote:
    When you receive your delivery please check the contents carrefully

If there is a problem with the contents please follow this procedure:

- note the problem on the courier's delivery form

- inform us of the problem on the same day using the Contact form on the Pixmania website.

Pixmania will accept no responsibility for any problems that are not identified and brought to Pixmania's attention in the time period stated.

is this normal for them or is it because a lot of the stuff seems to be going missing?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Just received my Airis today and mine also looked like it had been used before and the box wasn't sealed and there is no Mains USB charger (I take it there should be a mains charger?). Also, the box says it is a T920A but there is a sticker over the original barcode on the back that says T920EF. What's up with that? Also, the manual says it plays MP3's but there is no Music option on the main screen. Apart from that everything works fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dsmasher

yo guys,

well after reading your posts last week I ordered from Pixmania on Monday morning. Received the unit today at work so I haven't had time to read the manual but I too am missing the Mains USB adaptor which I presume from the 'quick start' leaflet I should have received. After weighing up all the options however (and presuming this will be sorted) I'm still glad I went with Pixmania. I really didn't want to spend the extra 100 quid to be honest.

Fingers crossed with the Main adaptor ... or at least I can buy a cheap replacement? lol, any ideas or suggestions on that one would be appreciated.

LFCfan ... have you been able to plug in your unit to your computer then to Power up for the madatory 8hrs etc?

Dave.

LFCFan wrote:
    Just received my Airis today and mine also looked like it had been used before and the box wasn't sealed and there is no Mains USB charger (I take it there should be a mains charger?). Also, the box says it is a T920A but there is a sticker over the original barcode on the back that says T920EF. What's up with that? Also, the manual says it plays MP3's but there is no Music option on the main screen. Apart from that everything works fine!

LFCFan,

The model you got from pixmania does not have the MP3 software in it.also there will not be a mains charger either.Only a 12V car charger.Once you connect the Airis to a pc it will charge itself via the USB cable ( both of which should be supplied?)

Kinda worrying that the box was not sealed / looked like it was "used"...

Dont know what the T920A is..cant find it on airis website

My box says T920B...sticker over says T920AU. The airis comes in from the factory in different variants like EF ( european maps / no MP3 ) and AU is MP3 player / Uk and Eire maps).

It only becomes labelled when the software ( ie CD / DVD )is put into the box..This is to identify what unit + software / mapping is in the package without having to "open it"..dare i suggest someone is opening these packs to determine what software / mapping is inside?

Can i ask was there a SD card bundled with this cause if there was, it too could be reason box was opened ?

Its possible to load on MP3 player software using MS activesync ( which is on the airis cd).Theres a post here somewhere detailing the proceedure if i could find it?

How do you find the maps coverage?

got mine today also,no mains charger as above and came with a 512 mb sd card.im happy so far with it :) no problems to report.

now off to hunt down the post on how to get the mp3 software onto it

right guys

opened the box a few hours ago.

I've registered the unit online with the activation keys no prob.
    It seems just to have a French map on it.

The screen on the unit has an animation of a blue folder throwing docs from my computer to the unit and a finger icon saying not to take out the memory card (when attached via usb to my pooter)

I have plugged in the unit via usb trying to install the route 77 (nav7) maps from the cd supplied, but it keeps asking me to 'Connect your memort card reader/writer to a usb port of your pc and insert your memory card' ..... i presume that it will read it through my Airis ... but it won't :(

anyways bottom line. Can't install the maps. any links or advice? PLS :)
    and what is the animation above? There shouldn't be anything copying over.
    Is it by any chance the recharging animation?

I have installed Activesync from the manual disk if that makes a difference.

PS. The CD manual is rubbish :(

dsmasher wrote:
    right guys

opened the box a few hours ago.

I've registered the unit online with the activation keys no prob.
    It seems just to have a French map on it.

The screen on the unit has an animation of a blue folder throwing docs from my computer to the unit and a finger icon saying not to take out the memory card (when attached via usb to my pooter)

I have plugged in the unit via usb trying to install the route 77 (nav7) maps from the cd supplied, but it keeps asking me to 'Connect your memort card reader/writer to a usb port of your pc and insert your memory card' ..... i presume that it will read it through my Airis ... but it won't :(

anyways bottom line. Can't install the maps. any links or advice? PLS :)
    and what is the animation above? There shouldn't be anything copying over.
    Is it by any chance the recharging animation?

I have installed Activesync from the manual disk if that makes a difference.

PS. The CD manual is rubbish :(

1. establish if the SD card has the maps on it
    2. if not,format the SD card.....DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK
    3.insert the Route 66 DVD and it will have a section to install onto SD
    4.insert 512 card into card reader / pc socket
    5.follow on screen instructions to load software onto card
    6.Insert finished sd card into airis
    7.HARD reset (using switch underneath )

software and maps will then load up.

great stuff.

That has worked.

Just need to get a signal now!!!
    still waiting :/

I've heard it can take a while for it to kick in?

dsmasher wrote:

I've heard it can take a while for it to kick in?

Dont believe all you hear, 1-2 mins.
    Go outside and bring the unit with you....

Just in case you get lost !:D

Good to hear youre up and running.Let us know how you find maps ok.

• Advertisement

lol will do!

keep u updated

btw just received this email from Pixmania ...

'Thank you for your email.

I have sent your information to the person in charge of the adapter plugs and one shoud be sent out to you as soon as possible.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Team Pixmania'

...... we'll see!!! but I ain't holding my Breath!!!

I jsut got a mail from Pixmania telling me I have to wait until October 6th while they clarify the postion regarding my lost unit (that DHL have already admitted to losing). So even though I have paid for the unit and DHL have admitted losing same I am unable to receive a refund or a replacement unit until after 6th October.

kaiphas wrote:
    I jsut got a mail from Pixmania telling me I have to wait until October 6th while they clarify the postion regarding my lost unit (that DHL have already admitted to losing). So even though I have paid for the unit and DHL have admitted losing same I am unable to receive a refund or a replacement unit until after 6th October.

sorry to hear that dude :/

seems to be a bit hit and miss with pixmania to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm really considering buying one of these, even though I don't need it. (DAMN YOU WANTS AND DESIRES)

Does it come with a car charger? How long is the battery life?

Also does it have the voice commands like "turn left" when you're driving a route?

What other GPS systems are there worth looking at? Anyone used the Route 66 "Chicago" system?

Elessar wrote:
    I'm really considering buying one of these, even though I don't need it. (DAMN YOU WANTS AND DESIRES)

Does it come with a car charger? How long is the battery life?

Also does it have the voice commands like "turn left" when you're driving a route?

What other GPS systems are there worth looking at? Anyone used the Route 66 "Chicago" system?

*comes with car charger
    *batt life is not great cause its not got lithium-ion batt, and when you "turn off the unit its only the screen you are shutting down.The software is still running in the background and hence the processor is also.same as any CE device which is what it is really underneath.
    *voice commands are given turn by turn en route ( female voice)
    *have no exp with chicago

If you are not going to use it then you will be just spending money.If you like your gadgets then id keep the bobs for the new apple iPhone rumoured for release early 2007 !

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

eirlink wrote:
    LFCFan,

The model you got from pixmania does not have the MP3 software in it.also there will not be a mains charger either.Only a 12V car charger.Once you connect the Airis to a pc it will charge itself via the USB cable ( both of which should be supplied?)

Kinda worrying that the box was not sealed / looked like it was "used"...

Dont know what the T920A is..cant find it on airis website

My box says T920B...sticker over says T920AU. The airis comes in from the factory in different variants like EF ( european maps / no MP3 ) and AU is MP3 player / Uk and Eire maps).

It only becomes labelled when the software ( ie CD / DVD )is put into the box..This is to identify what unit + software / mapping is in the package without having to "open it"..dare i suggest someone is opening these packs to determine what software / mapping is inside?

Can i ask was there a SD card bundled with this cause if there was, it too could be reason box was opened ?

Its possible to load on MP3 player software using MS activesync ( which is on the airis cd).Theres a post here somewhere detailing the proceedure if i could find it?

How do you find the maps coverage?
    Cool. Thanks for clearing that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Well, damn. Factored in my pay for this week and said feck it - so I ordered one :D

Does it come with an external antenna?

Elessar wrote:
    Well, damn. Factored in my pay for this week and said feck it - so I ordered one :D

Does it come with an external antenna?

Nope..dosent need external cause its got a SiRF 3 integrated gps receiver built in ...you can however connect on if you want ,theres a antenna connection on the back.

bet your impressed now!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

How long does it take for Pixmania to deliver, roughly. Mine (along with my new camera) was dispatched on Monday evening, but there's no sign of it yet. Also, do Pixmania not supply you with a DHL tracking number? I couldn't see one anywhere on their site or in the email they sent.

• Advertisement

You should have got an e-mail like the one below with a tracking number:

OT: UPS just called to take mine back - over a week since I got it missing the DVD and SD card :rolleyes: ...

dhlfs4.jpg

Advertisement