Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Could someone post a picture of the Glass mounting for the T920 please,

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Have tried the unit out on a long run and am well impressed. Even small remote rural roads etc listed. The Mitchelstown Bypass & Fermoy Bypass not digitised - but no surprise there. Some of the spellings of the town names are slightly off but only very slightly (skeheenarinky is skeheenaranky etc - no biggie!)
    The level of detail is pretty incredible (esp given the price of the unit).
    The only slight niggle I have is the battery life - Eirlink was spot on, typically 3 to 4 hours off a full charge. I know the 12V cigarette lighter overcomes this problem by charging the unit constantly but I hate having wires around me when I'm driving.
    Overall I'm mighty impressed.

Hi Voodoo2 - photos attached. Tis dark outside (and raining) so this is the best I can do this evening.
    If this doesn't make it clear let me know and I'll take more tomorrow.
    Voodoo2 wrote:
    Could someone post a picture of the Glass mounting for the T920 please,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can the unit be charged by mains at all using a generic charger i.e one of those multi voltage ones?

If you want the European maps and are going to get a 2gb card is it not nearly worth buying the T920E version for €75 more and saving all the hassle?

anyone know about the above?

Dunno about the charger option.
    It'll need a USB plug on the business end and a DC output of +5.0V (-0.5Vc.c 0.5A) - based on the Blackberry charger that I believe is OK to use (and have been using for all of three days!).

With regard to the maps, the DVD supplied has all the European maps and the SD card supplied is 512MB - so presumably if you're going to travel abroad you just need to format the SD and re-install the relevant country map - unless you want to use a 2GB SD and have all the maps installed at the same time but unless your doing some major travelling this may or maynot be worthwhile.
    anyone know about the above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

kaiphas wrote:
    Hi Voodoo2 - photos attached. Tis dark outside (and raining) so this is the best I can do this evening.
    If this doesn't make it clear let me know and I'll take more tomorrow.

Thanks thats spot on! Does it vibrate or anything and pros and cons?

Minimum vibration on bad roads. None on motorways. I'm sure if I angled it down onto the dash this would reduce any vibrations.

I do however plan on getting some form of vent mounting kit to have the unit nearer the cigarette lighter to minimise cables getting in the way.

I guess the main advantage of the window mount is that at least your eyes aren't being drawn away (too much) from the traffic in front, so maybe the windscreen mount is slightly safer. The unit is a distraction while you get used to it as you tend to keep checking it to see how impressive it's geographical database is (and it doesn't disappoint). Also the GPS display of my speed was approx 5% less than the speedo shows which tallies with the school of thought that says the car speedos are set to show a slightly higher speed than the car is actually travelling at (again I know both are only guidelines and neither should be used to debate with the boys in blue!)
    Voodoo2 wrote:
    Thanks thats spot on! Does it vibrate or anything and pros and cons?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

kaiphas wrote:

With regard to the maps, the DVD supplied has all the European maps and the SD card supplied is 512MB

Hey,

Did you get the T920EF? I thought it came with a 256 card?

Also does it have a Li-Ion 1200 mAh battery as described in the specs?
    I thought it shuold have better life than 3 hours?
    Reading This is should have about 8 hours?

Cheers

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

The T920EF comes with a 512MB SD card.

The battery life thing is an estimate under ideal conditions. Most of us will never come close to emulating these conditions, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Dusty1609

Just returned from a trip to Italy with the T920 and it worked perfectly, no problems at all and it got me where I wanted to go everytime. Very pleased with it given the cost.

• Advertisement

I took the plunge and ordered one of these!
    Damn Internet and Credit card make it too easy to buy stuff;)

But it should come in handy when travelling to the UK/London L8r this yr

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Can anyone tell me if the speech is multilingual?

English, Danish. Dutch, Czech, Finish, French, German, Greek, Spanish, Portugeuse, Swedish etc
    dal wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if the speech is multilingual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kaiphas wrote:
    English, Danish. Dutch, Czech, Finish, French, German, Greek, Spanish, Portugeuse, Swedish etc
    Don't forget 'American' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Ordered one from pixmania at the weeknd & it arrived on Tues, everything present & correct. I drove around town with it this evening & am very impressed with the level of detail & that it got every street I was on right.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Hi all, I know there's been lots of questions about this and hate to add to it but here goes....

Just wondered if someone could have a look at how detailed Bulgaria is on the map and if it's possible to review a journey maybe have a look at how well it handles a route to Sofia in Bulgaria from say roscoff....

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The T620 (available in France & Spain at the moment) seems a very good deal... Windows Mobile 5 etc and PDA with wifi..

http://www.airis-pc.com/Equipo~x~PDA-AIRIS-T620-GPS-WIFI-BT~IDEquipo~29.html

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Just got mine....I gotta say it rocks. Was driving in Connamara with it and it took me from a to b without a hitch. No more fears about getting lost here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I got a Nuvi 310 and when you charge it off the usb port, you dont seem to be able to use the unit while it charges, to check out the map etc. i.e. when it's connected it changes to a pic of the nuvi connected to the pc to indicate it's charging (with no indicator of how long to go etc :rolleyes: ) and that's it until it charges.

Anyone know a way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

I got a Nuvi 310 and when you charge it off the usb port, you dont seem to be able to use the unit while it charges, to check out the map etc. i.e. when it's connected it changes to a pic of the nuvi connected to the pc to indicate it's charging (with no indicator of how long to go etc :rolleyes: ) and that's it until it charges.

Anyone know a way around this?

I haven't got a nuvi but getting one soon. I have used a friends and here is my attempt to help ya. As far as I can see there are two usb ports on the nuvi one on the side which is used to charge it and connect it to the computer and this is when it turns the screen blank possibly to stop corruption when you are uploading maps etc. There is a usb port at the back of the windscreen sucker so why not try to charge over that.

• Advertisement

Looks like Garmin are shipping the nuvi 660 (new model) with Navteq V9 maps. So just a matter of time before they release the update or ship nuvi 3xx series with the new maps also.

http://www.aspidshop.com/export/store/product_info.php?cPath=3_7_8&products_id=2065

If anyone has a contact in the industry or was talking to Garmin support maybe you have an insight into the V9 map release?

According to this forum a supplier has confirmed V9 is shipping on the nuvi 660. I would guess November or worst case scenario January for the map updates. But most likely November.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65163

Mapquest have recently updated (areas such as new estates in Dublin 15 which were not present last week and are now listed). This map gives a good indication as to the detail of any sat nav system such as Airis or Garmin as they use the same maps (navteq) (Once the manufacturer use the most recent Navteq maps that is)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=IE&addtohistory=&city=Dublin

Looks like the licence has dropped in cost as it is starting to show up now in Airis (for some time now envious) and now mapquest (recently updated with even more detail ie newer maps, not sure which navteq update though I would love to know, suspect Q2) and the Garmin nuvi 660 and soon to be released with other garmin device etc.....

Finally some detail for Ireland so we can take advantage of satnav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Strange, that map has the new M4 but the level of detail in the estate I live in is less detailed than what it is on the Navteq V8 mapping on my unit.

Jip wrote:
    Strange, that map has the new M4 but the level of detail in the estate I live in is less detailed than what it is on the Navteq V8 mapping on my unit.

That is strange, u fully zoomed in, maybe a bug or error on the mapquest side. You can report errors to mapquest link in the help section I believe if ya care enough that is about your online presence.

Once it is on your unit your sorted.

Either it is not as updated as I thought as the Bundoran Ballyshannon bypass is not there either. Wonder if they just updated certain areas on the mapquest site ie just dublin.

I recall someone saying these bypasses are on the Q2 Navteq maps so no worries just mapquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Colly wrote:
    Either it is not as updated as I thought as the Bundoran Ballyshannon bypass is not there either. Wonder if they just updated certain areas on the mapquest site ie just dublin.

I recall someone saying these bypasses are on the Q2 Navteq maps so no worries just mapquest.

The acid test for Q2 is the "Bundoran, Co Donegal " bypass. If its Navteq Q2 2006 it will show this bypass as below, clearly...

bundoran.jpg
    [Courtesy Route 66 Navigate7 ]

However,
    "Ballyshannon, Co Donegal " is a different town, further north. DONT mix these up when trying to assertain a map version.The Ballyshannon bypass is NOT ON Q2.

Now...there is a NEW Q2 update just out whose file size is bigger and therefore will struggle on a 256 SD, so when I get it I will post back and let you all know. The new info "may " be UK related and until I examine the mapping I dont know where the extra MB`s are .

In meantime, just benchmark off Bundoran ( not Ballyshannon )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Colly wrote:

Must admit I'm confused now, both the Airis & the mapquest site have this bypass shown just like in the pic above :confused:

As a matter of interest where do these "updates" for the Navteq maps come from? Are they free for a certain version or do you have to pay? The current maps in the Airis look to be fine for me so not too interested in extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

opus wrote:
    Must admit I'm confused now, both the Airis & the mapquest site have this bypass shown just like in the pic above :confused:

As a matter of interest where do these "updates" for the Navteq maps come from? Are they free for a certain version or do you have to pay? The current maps in the Airis look to be fine for me so not too interested in extra cost.

Opus, sorry if im confusing everyone. The mapquest link has been updated to Q2 since i last looked. Apologies , i was looking at an old screengrab i had here.

Anyway, the link to mapquest is Q2. Just for clarity, it shows:

A bypass around Bundoran
    No bypass around Ballyshannon.

ScreenShot003-1.jpg

Two different locations. I was just trying to advise people these were different towns, thats all.
    sorry for the confusion....long day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Woo hoo, I finally received mine today (had to send back the first one as it was missing loads of parts).
    All working fine, very impressed.
    Have to say Pixmania were ok too, no problems getting the unit replaced (a little bit time consuming, but all's well that end's well)...

• Advertisement

I got mine too and it's working great.:D
    even has the tiny townland where I am from in Meath (Although it's spelt wrong:rolleyes: )

Just wondering did anyone get a mains charger for it?
    and if so where?

Cheers

Mik

Advertisement