Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

nope, wont work ( tried it ! purely for research purposes of course ) the maps locked by encryption. the unlock keys are held on R66 servers.

its a prm file extension on the airis, the latest r66 maps are
    q2 2007
    as supplied with the new Route 66 branded mini and maxi units.

Unfortunately they are not compatible formats so an overwrite will NOT work...plus its against the EULA !

i have a r66 mini on test at moment and it is running r66 NAVIGATOR 8.. version 8.0.3061. it has IRL and ALL of europe on a 2 gig card. It also has a new GUI which is a huge improvement on the
    GUI in the airis.

Finally, and most important, it comes with a DVD which contains " R66 Sync " which connects via the www to a site where you can download maps, new voices, new colour schemes and Rough Guides travel guides.

these downloads are pulled down from the web via r66 sync propritery software and are then downloaded to the device. The device has a "EXTRAS " folder within which these downloads are contained.

The folder has sub folders called:
    Voucher code
    Maps
    Traffic info
    Safety cameras
    Weather
    Travel Guides
    Voices
    Colour schemes
    Update

the mini retails for €199.00 ( online from mysatnav )

check out a review here
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/review/2008/01/07/Route-66-Mini-Regional-Sat-Nav/p1

if you need any areas checked to see if they are on q2 2007 before you buy, then PM me.....just not all at once !!;)

PS
    Some of the downloads are free, inc colours free. Others inc BMW and Mercedes colour schemes are 99 cents each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I won't be buying anything with Airis or Route 66 on the box.

shayser wrote: »
    I won't be buying anything with Airis or Route 66 on the box.

for the money its quite a good unit, plus the download option is available. Im not sure yet if the download re maps offers an "update "
    I think its the full map inc updates......i will try to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

What about Speed Cameras which are not free anymore with route66 Navigate 8 ? What about the impossible addition of custom POIs in Navigate 8 ? Should I continue ?

Route66 Navigate 7 was a good product, but in the mean time, many other brands released better products, with a lot more customization possibilities, and some free bonus. Route66 Mini/Maxi products are cheap, but you need to pay for everything. So what's the point to buy Route 66 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 taximan

was in the UK over Christmas, got a TomTom XL Europe edition for 180 euros (Dixons tax free at Stansted airport); feel pretty cheated by Airis\Route66 as I bought kit which can only be upgraded via effectively 3rd party hacks and no new maps......don't care what their new products are like, they had a chance to keep me as a customer but I'll never go back to their products again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Interesting thread started which may breed new life back into the Airis.

Edit: Never mind gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jib51

Yeap it's gone and it's not really nice to see that my post about AirisTool (and only about AirisTool) has been deleted.

AirisTool is a tool I've created, and it's something 100% legal to better our T920. So please admins, don't delete posts about it, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Jib51 there was links to illegal maps in the thread so I'd assume that's why some of the posts were deleted although I see your point. As you said the AirisTool provides extra functionality to the Airis and there is nothing illegal about it. It's a great tool and I know you put a lot of work into it so for that I salute you. It has allowed me install apps, customise and also gives me the option to install 'legal' maps on the Airis which is great to prolong the life of the device. Thanks for developing the AirisTool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lester Banks

Cal wrote: »
    Download the powertoys app. Then run the exe from a PC with the Airis attached via USB. The exe automatically installs the reg editor using active sync. The exe would not run from CE. But straight forward it is. The effect of the registry change takes a minute or two though.

Cal.

Soft reset is the button on the side or start 'Suspender'

Hi Cal,
    After hours of trying, I managed to get Pocket register editor working on my AIRIS. I'm running Windows Vista so had to download new drivers for "Windows mobile device center". Was then able to install Pocket reg edit on to Airis and run it from within Windows CE. I modified register as advised (i.e set "Screen" value to 0 (zero)), did a soft reset. After soft reset, system came back up still in Windows CE, I ran Route66 but still getting "Clicking" sound on screen tap.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

So wait...the Airis T920 cannot be updated with new maps??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Nevermind

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I bought a new Garmin 360 yesterday. White box job with European maps (Navteq V10).

€160 incl. shipping, ac charger, carrying case, and the normal stuff you'd expect.

Good deal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

can you get coordinates on the airis ???

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

pm. wrote: »
    can you get coordinates on the airis ???

Yep.

ok great but how ?

ok great but how ?

when you are at the place you need co-ordinates for, just tap the flag (in botton right of screen )

BTW
    re your charging probs on the 920..its either the 12v lead or the usb socket thats gammy. you can get the 12v lead in halfords for 12euro

if its the usb socket, then you will have to open the 920 and re-solder the pins of the socket

eirlink wrote: »
    when you are at the place you need co-ordinates for, just tap the flag (in botton right of screen )

do you mean the finish flag ? i travel to NI a fair it and if i could put in the cordinates it would be a great help

do you mean the finish flag ? i travel to NI a fair it and if i could put in the cordinates it would be a great help

i might have misinterpreted the query....dont know if you can pre-enter the co-ordinates but you certainly can view them when you get there by tapping the finish flag.

i will dig deeper and post back

eirlink wrote: »
    i might have misinterpreted the query....dont know if you can pre-enter the co-ordinates but you certainly can view them when you get there by tapping the finish flag.

i will dig deeper and post back

ok thanks Eielink

• Advertisement
Advertisement